BajaNomad

Higginbotham Twins Prone Paddle Boarding from Alaska to Cabo

shari - 12-3-2018 at 02:18 PM

We had the great pleasure here in Bahia Asuncion of hosting Ryan & Casey Higginbotham from Pismo Beach CA on their historical paddle south from Alaska to Cabo. They are prone paddlers meaning they lie on their stomachs or paddle kneeling. Now THAT is bada$$!!!

The 27 year old identical twins showed up at our door with a couple dry bags each and recounted some fantastic stories of their epic trip down. Their biggest fear are sharks! The boards are 17' long and have a rudder and skeg and were specially made for this trip that no one has ever done before. They usually make about 15-20 miles a day and the heaviest item is the 12 lb water desal unit which is also the most valuable item for them along with a sat phone for emergencies. These boys are very prepared and capable with good heads on their shoulders.

It was so interesting seeing how little gear they have and how they placed it on their boards when they pulled out.

just had to seize this photo op demonstrating how fit these dudes are!

I think they are Abreojos now and will be making their way down the coast and plan to spend Xmas in the Todos Santos area to do some surfing so if you see them give em a shout out from me and invite them for some food....those boys can EAT!:lol:

Check them out on Instagram under Higginbotham Brothers @byhandproject
They will be doing a talk at Surfline too after they finish up their trip.

schwlind - 12-3-2018 at 02:27 PM

All I can say is WOW!!

Bubba - 12-3-2018 at 02:42 PM

Cool stuff!

shari - 12-3-2018 at 03:35 PM

definitely the coolest guys I have ever met...hard core adventurists....and are happy to share their experiences.

Marc - 12-3-2018 at 04:27 PM

Wow...these two are great. I wish was young again. I would go along...on a jet ski or something. :o:o:o

MexicoTed - 12-3-2018 at 04:47 PM

So cool. They're not related to Tom and Patti Higginbotham of the Backroad Baja book are they?

MexicoTed - 12-3-2018 at 04:49 PM

Forgot to ask did you hear why they were not going to paddle north from Cabo to say San Felipe? All the way around the peninsula. Maybe run into Graham?;)

John Harper - 12-3-2018 at 04:51 PM

They must have paddled through some rough water and big waves at some points. Or, did they just call it a "rest" day during foul storms and swells? I can't imagine paddling out in NorCal into some of the surf they get up there!

John

shari - 12-3-2018 at 05:15 PM

I believe they are just going down the Pacside and not into the gulf. Dont know if they are related to the authors.
They left here in a big swell and big wind and must have had a tough day. I look forward to hearing from others who see them!

Goyo - 12-3-2018 at 08:06 PM

I was at Punta Rosarito ("the Wall") and saw them paddle by around Nov. 18. Due to the sun angle, it was kind of hard to see them even though they were very close to shore. There was essentially no swell that day. I pointed them out to a camp neighbor but I don't think any of the other 50 people camped there saw them!