BajaNomad

looking for a 16-18 foot Aluminum Boat

DawnPatrol - 12-7-2018 at 05:34 PM

Have a Baja friend looking for a used 16-18' Aluminum boat/skiff for in-shore fishing
Anyone have any leads?
Thanks in Advance
Alan from San Diego

LukeJobbins - 12-8-2018 at 02:15 AM

No leads other than Craigslist or offerup, but as an experienced aluminum fisherman I would advise only welded. Gregor or westcoaster. Baja roads on a trailer or beaching on the sand and rocky beaches will twist the boats and make leaky rivets. Riveted boats are fine if you go on nice roads and always come ashore on a trailer. We have run, Gregor, valco, sea nymph, bayrunner. All worked and road well, but the welded ones are the only ones that hold up decent in Baja conditions. I have beat to smitherines a Gregor 15’ with a tiller all over Southern California waters and the bay of la. Epic boat.

Pacifico - 12-8-2018 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
No leads other than Craigslist or offerup, but as an experienced aluminum fisherman I would advise only welded. Gregor or westcoaster. Baja roads on a trailer or beaching on the sand and rocky beaches will twist the boats and make leaky rivets. Riveted boats are fine if you go on nice roads and always come ashore on a trailer. We have run, Gregor, valco, sea nymph, bayrunner. All worked and road well, but the welded ones are the only ones that hold up decent in Baja conditions. I have beat to smitherines a Gregor 15’ with a tiller all over Southern California waters and the bay of la. Epic boat.

I agree with welded and not riveted. I used to have a 16' Klamath that was great in Baja!