BajaNomad

Tamale Making Time in Asuncion.

shari - 12-10-2018 at 05:54 PM

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas in our village...the tree lighting ceremony was a few days ago and decorations & lights are going up.
Part of our tradition is making tamales for all the holiday visitors at my sister in law Blanca's house.

This time we invited our guests staying with us to come and join in on the fun and learn how to make traditional tamales. They came here to do some Spanish Immersion with us and have been doing some classes, home visits and learning to prepare Mexican dishes and make tortillas.

Here are some highlights of our tamale preparation...we made a pretty good team...Rob made the masa & spread it on the corn leaf, Maura put the meat mixture in it, Rebecca added the olive and Tom & I tied em all up nice.

150 beautiful tamales ready to steam! They looked a bit funky but were delicioso!

bajabuddha - 12-10-2018 at 05:59 PM

Gawwwwd, I miss Baja tamales!! Here in Baja NM there are lots of folk doing 'home-grown tamale' sales on the side, but not ONE of em compare to the pollo tamales of Baja. I've tried several, and tossed out a few.

I don't even like tamales and masa, but a good Baja tamale steamed and then with two over easy juevos and some Herdez on top is a desayuno del campiones. Oh, longing for Back In The Daze.

Good looking pot there, Shari. Feliz whatevers.

shari - 12-10-2018 at 06:25 PM

Blanca is renown for her fantstic tamales...not much masa and amazing meat mixture.

and then this happened to Tom the next day....he caught his first ever yellowtail and limited out with those nice big December fish!

that sucker made the best sashimi ever!

Paco Facullo - 12-10-2018 at 06:35 PM

WOW,
Lot's of great Christmas comida, cheer and Magic happening there !

Just wish'n I could be there to enjoy it all.

Geo_Skip - 12-10-2018 at 06:46 PM

Nice goatee Tom. I hope you had some of Shari's yellowtail sashimi!

shari - 12-10-2018 at 06:53 PM

well of course he did...plus my famous seared YT and then we did the classic mexican sarendeado (sp?) whole fish stuffed with tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, mayo & mustard cooked on the BBQ...nom nom...yummy and great company on the patio.
These calm December afternoon/evenings are so spectacular!

surfhat - 12-11-2018 at 11:38 AM

This is what Baja Nomad should be about.

What a nice change and so welcomed.

Thanks for the break from the usual, Shari and company.

Peace, love and tamales.

Bubba - 12-11-2018 at 02:12 PM

I always pick up a dozen red and dozen green Tamales at Christmas. Those look tasty!

gueribo - 12-11-2018 at 02:28 PM

Food and community! Looks like a wonderful time. Plus--tamales. Yes.