BajaNomad

So many newbie questions - trip to San Ignacio in Feb

devinecopy5 - 12-12-2018 at 10:15 PM

Hi - my husband and I and two giant dogs are driving down in a 24-foot RV in February for whale watching. I have been lurking and picked up some good advice (thank you all!) but have a few questions about our trip. We are coming in late February and already have whale reservations.

We have one week, and do not plan to drive at night. Is this itinerary doable, and what campgrounds would you recommend? (I like to make advance reservations.)

Sat Drive Orange County to San Quintin or nearby to spend night. Suggestions?
Sun: Drive San Quintin to San Ignacio Lagoon
Mon:: Stay San Ignacio Lagoon
Tuesday Drive San Ignacio Lagoon to San Ignacio town (suggestions for campground?)
Wednesday Drive to San Ignacio to Mulege (campground suggestions?)
Thursday: Stay Mulege
Friday Drive Mulege to Estero Beach
Saturday: Drive Estero Beach to Orange County

Is that amount of driving too taxing? Suggestions?
Also would like advance on where to cross the border. Thank you!

bajaguy - 12-12-2018 at 10:24 PM

The RV park/camping at Estero Beach (Ensenada) has been closed for at least two years. Suggest you try: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Villarino-Rv-Park/30698858611...

Also, Mulege to Ensenada is a long haul for one day in an RV

Mulege Canuck - 12-12-2018 at 11:13 PM

In San Ignacio we stay at Los Petates. It is just after the bridge on the way into town. Manuel is a great host there. Nice place next to a lagoon. There is a pink taco stand in the town square. I had the best tostados de carne there.

For whale watching we go to Antonio’s. It is a family operation. Very nice people and you get a great lunch with the tour. If you drive out there and pay on site it is $50 US. If you pay in town ahead of time it will be a lot more. The road out there has some washboard. If your RV is not up to it, Manuel drives people out there in his van for a fee.

In Mulege ( My home town) you can stay at Don Chanos. To get there you drive through the arches into town and head out along the river. Some crazy one way streets in Mulege, go slow. Go right at the first major junction with a supermarket. If you follow that road it will take you through town to the campground. It is right off the river and a close walk to explore town. They have showers and wifi there.

You might want to see the whales in Guerro Negro instead. It would give you a little more time to enjoy your trip. Driving on those roads for the first time in an RV can be stressful when you pass your first semi.

JZ - 12-12-2018 at 11:43 PM

Drive down to San Quintin will be pretty easy going.

The 2nd day is going to be a little stressful. Right after El Rosario the road gets wicked curvy and narrow w/o a shoulder. Do able tho.

David K - 12-13-2018 at 12:46 AM

Welcome to Nomad!
If it can add some pleasure to your planning, I have photos and details of most of Baja's popular routes and sites in my 8 Trip Reports here on Nomad's Trip Reports forum.

In the San Quintin region for overnighting RV parks, there is:

*Posada Don Diego (popular restaurant there) Km. 173, 0.6 mi in.

The kilometer markers from Ensenada go to 196 and reset there to Km. 0 where the highway narrows to just 19 ft. wide at the beginning of the 1973 final section of Mexico #1 to be built.

*Los Olivos (popular restaurant Jardines is next door) Km. 1.5, 1 mile in.
*El Pabellon (popular restaurant Parcela 12 near the entrance road) Km. 16. 1.2 mi in.
*Fidel's El Pabellon Km. 16.5, 1.3 mi in.

The two El Pabellon campgrounds are on a wide sandy beach. The two others are in orchards and not near the beach.

The road to San Ignacio Lagoon is nearly all paved now (30 miles from San Ignacio are paved) and the final 10 miles to Antonio's tour camp is flat, wide and easy graded dirt.

The Huerta Don Chano RV Park in Mulegé looks great, and near town. It is 1 mile from Mexico 1, go under the arches on the paved street and it turns into the north river road, just beyond town. 1.1 miles beyond the RV park is a most excellent, casual food place, called Casa de Pancho Villa. It is on a hill above the road. Just past Pancho Villa's is another great restaurant on the beach, El Patron. Love their shrimp dinner! You are on the beach there!

Take advantage of seeing the great California Spanish missions you pass by in Baja California, which was the first California!
Mulegé, founded in 1705
San Ignacio, founded in 1728
El Rosario, founded in 1774
San Vicente, founded in 1780
Santo Tomás, founded in 1791
There are more, but located more than a mile off the highway.
The first two are preserved stone churches built in the mid-1700s and the second two are stabilized ruins of adobe buildings set in a park setting. San Vicente has a small museum.
The missions are a great fascination with me considering how remote and difficult Baja is and was 300 years ago! I had to write a book about them!

Coming north, you can stay at the El Palomar RV park in Santo Tomás at Km. 50, across from the gas station and restaurant. It is huge. The ruins of the last mission to operate in all the Californias is just a short walk north from the RV park. It is just a bit of adobe wall remaining from 1799 construction. The mission closed in 1849! Santo Tomás is only 30 miles south of Ensenada and that gives you an easy drive to the border.

If you need photos of the places I named, just ask and I will add them here (they are all in my Trip Reports of 2017 and 2018).

wilderone - 12-13-2018 at 08:34 AM

I would suggest that advance reservations at campgrounds are likely not available for many of your options, and that your itinerary may change. I too would suggest a stop at Scammons Lagoon for whale watching - great campground there (go PAST the town 5 mi. to the turnoff). Your first day will be a long one - just outside San Quintin (heading So.) there's a turnoff for Cielito Lindo hotel/RV park/restaurant that I enjoy - beach is adjacent, food is good, showers. You can see the town of San Ignacio in a couple hours before or after your whale watching at the lagoon - no need to linger there. While in, or instead of, Mulege, head to Conception Bay - 16 mi. further - not to be missed. Instead of Estero Beach, you might try Sordo Mundo (?) campground on Mex. 3 in the Guadalupe Valley Ruta de Vino - do a little wine tasting and cross in Tecate.

weebray - 12-13-2018 at 09:32 AM

I respectfully disagree with most of what you have been told. Your questions are very good and I appreciate your apprehension. Your aspirations for a one-week exploration are not realistic. It is a recipe for divorce. You will cross the border wound up like an eight-day clock. The first day or two are going to be a shock as well as disquieting. The traffic, unfamiliar or missing signage and challenging infrastructure will be distressing. Once you are south of San Quintin the annoying traffic will fade, things will brighten a bit and you will start to relax. You are about to enter the Baja Zone. Keeping a 24 foot on the road will demand your attention so you will not make good time. The closest you will get to the real Baja is LA Bay. I suggest you head there and plant your beautiful selves in the sun, on the beach. You will want two days to return if you want to complete you introduction in a pleasant manner. Here is a quote from something previously written. "My very first visit to Baja California was a two-week adventure to nowhere. I had no plan and stuck to it." This should be your motto.

Mulege Canuck - 12-13-2018 at 09:47 AM

I agree with webray.

Our first time in Mexico we were very stressed out. I think you should still go to Scammons Lagoon to see the whales. Seeing those log booms of Grey Whales is a bucket list item for sure.

MMc - 12-13-2018 at 10:36 AM

This is your trip do what you want. That is a lot of driving. I would skip Mulege. The drive from Mulege to Ensenada is a VERY long day, you will be driving in the dark.

I like Los Olivos as a campground for camping. The Pabellon are better for beach walks.

I would spend a night at Kuyimita and use their boats for whale watching, Get on the boats first thing in the morning, while the day people are eating lunch and after they leave.

The town of San Ignacio is worth a couple of hours, Check out Casa Laurie for some history of the place.

Maybe stop at Laguna Ojo de Liebre (more whales)or Bahia de Los Angeles on the way home.

bajamary1952 - 12-13-2018 at 10:36 AM

I've been traveling south from San Felipe to Ensenada since November 1 with combination of (mostly) AirBnB's & some camping. I recommend Fidel's Pabellon past San Quintin which has a beautiful wide stretch of beach with sand dunes & plenty of space. I've stayed several times at Huerta Don Chano in Mulege which is a favorite for many campers.
You should register on ioverlander.com where you will find plenty of recommendations for any route in Baja.

JZ - 12-13-2018 at 10:38 AM

San Quintin to BoLA would certainly be an easier drive than trying to get to all the way to San Ignacio.

BoLA is >>>>>> San Ignacio as well. Very cool place. San Ignacio has the whales tho. You can get from BoLA to San Ignacio easy enough.

Making it all the way to Mulege does seem ambitious. And trying to go Mulege to Ensenada in a day would challenge experienced Baja drivers.

[Edited on 12-13-2018 by JZ]

HeyMulegeScott - 12-13-2018 at 10:42 AM

These are the stops we are thinking of doing next month in our RV.

Drive 61 mi,
Pio Pico, Thousand trails, crossing through Tecate.

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/199-school-for-the-deaf-wi...

Drive 154 mi,

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/3909-cielito-lindo-motel-a...

Drive 109 mi,

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/11984-rancho-santa-ynez

Drive 146 mi,

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/101-malarrimo-rv-park

Drive 89 mi,

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/204-rice-beans-san-ignacio

Drive 111 mi,

http://app.ioverlander.com/places/4463-playa-el-requeson

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11M-rDztNvyAQR0w_FOabFOOSJX...

bkbend - 12-13-2018 at 10:59 AM

Too ambitious, especially your return Friday. On most stretches of the highway you'll be hard pressed to average 50MPH in a motorhome without stopping for anything. Since you already have reservations in San Ignacio go there and make that your turnaround point. It's only a couple hours beyond Guerrero Negro and a nicer place to visit (in my opinion). Two days to San Ignacio lagoon will beat you up so kick back and take it easy on a return trip from there. Work out a plan where you drive less than 200 miles a day and spend half of each day enjoying where you're at. Save Mulege or Bahia Conception for a trip next year. You don't want to just drive there, spend a night, and leave.

Also be aware that many campgrounds don't have full hookups, and if they do, the electricity and water may be of questionable quality.

bajagrouper - 12-13-2018 at 04:11 PM

The OP asks ""Is that amount of driving too taxing?"" not in a corvette but in a 24 footer maybe, what I see is on Tuesday you will be driving all of 35 miles and on Friday you will drive 487 miles...I would forget Mulege and after San Ignacio Lagoon drive to Guerrero Negro and do some more whale watching......Baja should not be rushed through, slow down and enjoy.......

TecateRay - 12-13-2018 at 09:38 PM

You need to add several more days to enjoy your agenda or shorten your travels.

fishbuck - 12-13-2018 at 11:09 PM

In an airplane maybe:cool:

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2018 at 07:02 AM

Your first trip to Baja means a lot of firsts. I also agree with weebray.

So, add more days or go to Ojo de Liebre, see whales with Shari Bondy. Closer.

Have fun and give us an update when you are done so we know what worked for you! Welcome to the forum.

BajaMama - 12-14-2018 at 08:13 AM

Hotels in San Ignacio get booked up early, so I assume camping does, too. I agree, Shari Bondy is a better bet to be able to see whales, February is the peak. I booked San Ignacio for NEXT year (February 2020) because the eco-lodges were already booked for dates that worked for us.

David K - 12-14-2018 at 11:22 AM

Sure would be nice to hear back from the OP (devinecopy5). Hope we didn't scare her off with information overload! LOL

I would agree to avoid going beyond San Ignacio in a motorhome on a 7-day trip, as much as I want newbies to see Baja sites. The camping option at Scammon's Lagoon whale viewing area (Laguna Ojo de Liebre) is a good option and then go to L.A. Bay to see the gulf coast and more Baja wonders. Two days to get down that far and two days to return safely leaves only 3 days to not be driving and do the whale thing for at least one day.

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2018 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by devinecopy5  
Hi - my husband and I and two giant dogs are driving down in a 24-foot RV in February for whale watching. I have been lurking and picked up some good advice (thank you all!) but have a few questions about our trip. We are coming in late February and already have whale reservations.

We have one week, and do not plan to drive at night. Is this itinerary doable, and what campgrounds would you recommend? (I like to make advance reservations.)

Sat Drive Orange County to San Quintin or nearby to spend night. Suggestions?
Sun: Drive San Quintin to San Ignacio Lagoon
Mon:: Stay San Ignacio Lagoon
Tuesday Drive San Ignacio Lagoon to San Ignacio town (suggestions for campground?)
Wednesday Drive to San Ignacio to Mulege (campground suggestions?)
Thursday: Stay Mulege
Friday Drive Mulege to Estero Beach
Saturday: Drive Estero Beach to Orange County

Is that amount of driving too taxing? Suggestions?
Also would like advance on where to cross the border. Thank you!

That’s a lot of driving. For a driving-intensive trip I suggest leaving the RV home, drive a car and stay in hotels.
You probably won’t want to take an rv to si lagoon, the washboard road is not friendly to rvs. There are good rustic accommodations at si lagoon, simple cabins.

devinecopy5 - 12-15-2018 at 10:32 PM

Thank you so much to everyone for your help! I am researching all your answers and am finally understanding things like what "BOLA" is!

I hear your concerns about too much for one week. So we're going to delete Mulege and come back up a little more slowly. Still not slow, but tha'ts all we have. I like the idea of stopping at Scammons Lagoon on the way back up. Question: is Scammons Lagoon the same as Ojo de Libre and Guerrero Negro? Would we need whale reservations there? We already do have them for San Ignacio in February.

Thanks especially for the link to ioverlander.com and your campground suggestions. Very helpful and I appreciate them all, along with things to see.

Now I need to do a ton of research about crossing the border. I have no idea what documents, what time to alot, etc. But that's another post!

JZ - 12-15-2018 at 10:50 PM

Deleting Mulege makes the trip very doable. Remember some on here still don't think women can drive (anywhere), so take some of the comments with a grain of salt.

To cross the border you need a passport and vehicle registration. That's it. They won't ask for your passport when you cross, but may ask for the registration. Then stop and get a tourist visa after you pass the red light / green light. You'll need your PP to get the visa.

You must also get MX insurance for your vehicle. No one will ask for it, unless you get in an accident of course. The best, easiest place to do it is bajabound.com

[Edited on 12-16-2018 by JZ]

David K - 12-15-2018 at 11:20 PM

Yes, Laguna Ojo de Liebre is the Mexican name for Scammon's Lagoon. In English, it translates to Jackrabbit Spring (or literally Jackrabbit's Eye) Lagoon.

Guerrero Negro is the nearby town, which is on a smaller lagoon named Laguna Guerrero Negro (Black Warrior Lagoon).

There is a well-signed whale watching spot, campground, and where boat tours leave from that exits Hwy. 1 at Km. 207.5. It is paved a short distance and is several miles in (about 15). This turnoff is 12.5 kms. southbound from the state border and giant eagle monument.

If you are entering Mexico at Tijuana, the standard parking area (and it is big and covered) is BEFORE crossing through the Red/ Green light gates. When you see the giant flagpole as you near the border crossing and the traffic curves left, you head straight from the right lane ('Something to declare' and immigration parking lane) go way over by the flagpole and park in front of the building in the large parking area.

With your passports in hand, walk into that building and through it to the opposite side, and just out the back doors is where the INM desks are located. INM is who issues the FMMs. 7 days or less is FREE. 8-180 days is about 25-30 dollars. A bank desk for paying is just inside the building.

When you have that done and return to your car, drive back to the southbound flow of traffic, cross the gate with a green light and then follow the signs for Playas, Rosarito, and Ensenada SCENIC HIGHWAY. This is a toll road with 3 toll booths for the 70-mile drive to Ensenada. Once on the highway, after a few miles, it will be easy driving

IF you get a RED light, just pull ahead as directed for a visual inspection of your car (and may be asked to show your FMM, so that is why you get it before crossing the lighted gate and for the correct parking area. Yes, you can park on the south side if you miss the north side but that is why you need to be in the right lane as you near Mexico customs.

[Edited on 12-16-2018 by David K]

JZ - 12-16-2018 at 02:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

IF you get a RED light, just pull ahead as directed for a visual inspection of your car (and may be asked to show your FMM, so that is why you get it before crossing the lighted gate and for the correct parking area.

I've never in my life time heard of someone being asked to show a visa after getting the red light. Is this a real thing?

MMc - 12-16-2018 at 08:09 AM

I get red lighted or pulled over almost every time, (it's my truck). I never get ask for my FMM. I recross with my 180 day permit.

David K - 12-16-2018 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

IF you get a RED light, just pull ahead as directed for a visual inspection of your car (and may be asked to show your FMM, so that is why you get it before crossing the lighted gate and for the correct parking area.

I've never in my life time heard of someone being asked to show a visa after getting the red light. Is this a real thing?

It's not a visa. It is called a travel's permit or tourist card or FMM, and not the same as a visa. Yes, I know it is otherwise like a visa but Mexico clearly states it as such.

If you use the parking lot at Tijuana customs/immigration building, it is before the red/green light, so if you are asked, you will have it.

Yes, my Baja Extreme Tour members were all asked at Mexicali (west) and directed to park and get them just after the red/green light. Mexicali's INM office parking was after the gate crossing then (2016). Now it is like Tijuana, before the light.

MMc: yes, me too.

weebray - 12-16-2018 at 09:33 AM

Notwithstanding what you have read your trip is not realistic. Asuncion would be very ambitious for one week. Your plan now calls for four days of stressful driving. No fun. The huge increase of industrial agriculture + other development from San Quintin north makes that part of the trip pretty much hell. Go see the whales or go on vacation, you can't do both.

PaulW - 12-16-2018 at 09:51 AM

JZ you have led a very sheltered life. If you cross at Algodones, San Luis, or Mexicali east they stop most all of US tagged vehicles and ask for papers.
However it is true the red light is not always used, but a guy is standing there and waving you to stop and he asks for papers.
Of course it all depends on the Migration guy and sometimes he gets distracted or is on his break. Then sometimes the line of vehicles is long and they just stop selected ones. So drive slow and get behind the long line.
For Mex east and Algondones they just pull you over to the side and at San Luis they send you to secondary where it is much more formal. I don't use other crossings.

MMc - 12-16-2018 at 10:35 AM

I strongly disagree with this statement. I have done 5 whale trips and all have been done in 7 or 8 days. Nobody thought we were on the road to long or was over stressed. I prefer driving 1 instead 5 also, I do live in LA and drive the freeways more than most.
Do your trip, not the one others think you should. We don't know you.

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Notwithstanding what you have read your trip is not realistic. Asuncion would be very ambitious for one week. Your plan now calls for four days of stressful driving. No fun. The huge increase of industrial agriculture + other development from San Quintin north makes that part of the trip pretty much hell. Go see the whales or go on vacation, you can't do both.

JZ - 12-16-2018 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
JZ you have led a very sheltered life. If you cross at Algodones, San Luis, or Mexicali east they stop most all of US tagged vehicles and ask for papers.
However it is true the red light is not always used, but a guy is standing there and waving you to stop and he asks for papers.
Of course it all depends on the Migration guy and sometimes he gets distracted or is on his break. Then sometimes the line of vehicles is long and they just stop selected ones. So drive slow and get behind the long line.
For Mex east and Algondones they just pull you over to the side and at San Luis they send you to secondary where it is much more formal. I don't use other crossings.

On trips to Baja, we mostly cross at Mexicali, as I prefer going down Hwy 5. I've crossed at San Luis a number of times driving to San Carlos in Sonora. And crossed probably 20 times at Mariposa in Arizona, again heading to San Carlos.

We get stopped every time I have the bikes, which is most times. They want to check the registration papers against the VINs on the bikes. Takes about 3-4 mins.

No one has ever asked me for a visa in Mexico, with the exceptions being 1) when getting a car or boat temporary import permit or 2) boarding an airplane back into the US. Never heard of someone asking for a tourist visa after a red light as DK is suggesting.

I mean, you don't even need a visa if staying under 72 hours in the border zone. So why would they be asking you for your visa at the border?

JZ - 12-16-2018 at 12:40 PM

It's not a visa. It is called a travel's permit or tourist card or FMM, and not the same as a visa. Yes, I know it is otherwise like a visa but Mexico clearly states it as such.

I have law degree my man. It's a visa. Every country has their own unique procedure whether its a page in your passport or a separate piece of paper, but they are all visas. Mexico is no different.

From Wiki:

"A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper that has been seen")[1] is a conditional authorization granted by a country to a foreigner, allowing them to enter, remain within, or to leave that country. Visas typically include limits on the duration of the foreigner's stay, territory within the country they may enter, the dates they may enter, the number of permitted visits or an individual's right to work in the country in question. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country and thus are, in some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In each instance, a visa is subject to entry permission by an immigration official at the time of actual entry, and can be revoked at any time. A visa most commonly takes the form of a sticker endorsed in the applicant's passport or other travel document. "

A good site for you to bone up on Mexican immigration rules: http://www.expatarrivals.com/americas/mexico/visas-mexico

Btw, you (wrongly) attacked me on some random point shifting focus from your claim that they ask for your FMM "visa" at the red light / green light stop. Nice try at moving the goal posts.

JZ - 12-16-2018 at 12:50 PM

This is 100% fake news. 8 days is plenty of time to do this trip.

bajamary1952 - 12-17-2018 at 09:07 AM

Not mentioned but important esp. if traveling & camping on Sea of Cortez side this time of year which can be horribly windy so I always check wind reports first; along with the fact that many of those places such as Bahia Concepcion will be overrun with huge RVs so don't expect any beach there to be quiet. I encountered many days of high wind in La Paz the first 2 weeks of December so left and now in Cabo San Lucas where weather is much better and not windy so I'm using it as a base for traveling around the Cape.

weebray - 12-17-2018 at 10:03 AM

If all you want to do is to go see the whales in San Ignacio Lagoon then your plans will work. You will be stressed, your marriage will be tested but you will see the whales. Not the type of intro to Baja California I would prefer but as the man said, "it's your trip". BTW you will be in Baja California but the REAL Baja begins in Santa Rosalia. Fly!

mtgoat666 - 12-17-2018 at 10:30 AM

If all you want to do is to go see the whales in San Ignacio Lagoon then your plans will work. You will be stressed, your marriage will be tested but you will see the whales. Not the type of intro to Baja California I would prefer but as the man said, "it's your trip". BTW you will be in Baja California but the REAL Baja begins in Santa Rosalia. Fly!

Bullchit. SI lagoon is 1.5 day drive from San Diego. Easy to do a whale watch trip in week.
‘REAL” Baja (whatever that is) is apparently a figment of your tequila-infused imagination.
It’s all real.

David K - 12-17-2018 at 10:36 AM

About 10 miles south of El Rosario one will see the first Boojum Trees in their natural location... for many Baja travelers, THAT is where Baja starts! LOL

As goat says, it is all Baja from the Mexican border with California to Cabo San Lucas, like it or not.

JoeJustJoe - 12-17-2018 at 10:44 AM

Where did you get your law degree from?

A FMM is not a Visa.

And if you cross the border, in Mexico, you are supposed to get FMM, even if you stay less than 72 hours, but you are not charged anything.

However, they are only enforcing it if you take the pedestrian walkway.

Now if I'm only crossing over into Tijuana, Rosarito, or less than 100 miles, I will not stop and get a FMM card, because almost nobody else is stopping and Mexican officials are not checking for your FMM at the border towns.

Now sorry, for the interruption while you guys fight with each other over a whale watching vacation, and giving the OP travel advise.

This thread belongs in the OT.

I have law degree my man. It's a visa. Every country has their own unique procedure whether its a page in your passport or a separate piece of paper, but they are all visas. Mexico is no different.

From Wiki:

"A visa (from the Latin charta visa, meaning "paper that has been seen")[1] is a conditional authorization granted by a country to a foreigner, allowing them to enter, remain within, or to leave that country. Visas typically include limits on the duration of the foreigner's stay, territory within the country they may enter, the dates they may enter, the number of permitted visits or an individual's right to work in the country in question. Visas are associated with the request for permission to enter a country and thus are, in some countries, distinct from actual formal permission for an alien to enter and remain in the country. In each instance, a visa is subject to entry permission by an immigration official at the time of actual entry, and can be revoked at any time. A visa most commonly takes the form of a sticker endorsed in the applicant's passport or other travel document. "

A good site for you to bone up on Mexican immigration rules: http://www.expatarrivals.com/americas/mexico/visas-mexico

Btw, you (wrongly) attacked me on some random point shifting focus from your claim that they ask for your FMM "visa" at the red light / green light stop. Nice try at moving the goal posts.

JZ - 12-17-2018 at 10:52 AM

You keep saying this stuff about marriage and divorce. Some ppl aren't mental midgets and don't get stressed so easily, or have weak marriages.

Stop projecting your failures on others.

devinecopy5 - 12-18-2018 at 07:12 AM

So, coming back from San Ignacio. Say we stay at Ojo de Liebre campground for two nights. Then we will need to cut the return trip in half with one night somewhere. We will have already stayed in San Quintin. Any more suggestions for a nice place to stay between Ojo de Liebre and the border?

A nice beach for dogs to walk would be ideal. Thanks again!

David K - 12-18-2018 at 09:18 AM

El Pabellon RV park is on a huge beach. Km. 16, south of San Quintin. There is a second one at Km. 16.5 called Fidel's El Pabellon. Both are just over a mile from the highway. Excellent food is near Km. 16 on the highway, called Parcela 12.

MMc - 12-18-2018 at 10:01 AM

I would take a side rip to Bay of LA. 40 miles each way off the main highway, worth the trip. Paved all the way.

wilderone - 12-18-2018 at 10:07 AM

"a nice place to stay between Ojo de Liebre and the border?"

Start at daybreak, stay at Rancho Sordo Mudo on Mex. 3 take the Mex. 3 turnoff at El Sauzal - it's a bit before LA Cetto winery. Check in, go wine tasting. This is wine country. You can get to the Tecate border in about 3 hours from here. You can drive at night in the USA spend part of your day enjoying wine country.

If you get tired or it gets dark before you reach Ensenada stay at Rancho Sta Inez campground a mile before Catavina. There is a little restaurant there too, and cold beer. I think its bout $10/nt for RVs now. Next day from there, start at daybreak, take Mex. 3 wine tasting, cross in Tecate.