BajaNomad

Any kayakers have an opinion about max swell for launching at Asuncion?

eguillermo - 12-21-2018 at 10:13 AM

I recall that ramp at Asuncion is pretty well protected . . . but I'm seeing 9-10 foot swell forecast for today, and wondering if that might break inside the point and make things sketchy?

I'm in GN getting ready to drive over. Boy it would/will be a bummer if I get out there and can't launch my boat! Save me if you can. I should be online for a bit :)

Bajaboy - 12-21-2018 at 10:15 AM

If the swell is too big, drive out and paddle out of San Roque.

eguillermo - 12-21-2018 at 10:24 AM

Now that sounds like a plan :) You figure the protection is better at the launches up there? I remember it was similar to BA, but a little less formal, with lobster fishing traffic whose way I made a point of staying out of.

Heading over! Look for a goof in a yellow yak if you're out there tonight or tomorrow.

Bajaboy - 12-21-2018 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Now that sounds like a plan :) You figure the protection is better at the launches up there? I remember it was similar to BA, but a little less formal, with lobster fishing traffic whose way I made a point of staying out of.

Heading over! Look for a goof in a yellow yak if you're out there tonight or tomorrow.

Check out the cove west of the launch, near Shari's, before heading out to San Roque. I'm sure you'll find a safe spot.

I'm arriving on Sunday.

Rossman - 12-21-2018 at 02:47 PM

There are a minimum of 5 spots to launch in Asuncion. At no point are they all unusable.

San Roque flat boat launch beach...

David K - 12-21-2018 at 03:04 PM

fishbuck - 12-21-2018 at 03:32 PM

What ever happened?
Did we ever go kayaking? Were the swells that big. Were you brave enough to paddle out?
I can't imagine launching would be the problem if the swells were that big.
You can always get out.. but why on such big water?

AKgringo - 12-21-2018 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
What ever happened?
Did we ever go kayaking? Were the swells that big. Were you brave enough to paddle out?

Patience grass hopper.....the original post was only five hours before yours, and he was still in Guerrero Negro at the time!

fishbuck - 12-21-2018 at 06:20 PM

Maybe we should send out a search party? It's getting dark.
I think we know the answer of when the swell is too big to go kayaking*

*safely

shari - 12-22-2018 at 09:31 AM

there is a very large swell in Asuncion from the NW so San Roque & ENsenadita by our Inn is a bit rough...best spot is at the fishing cooperativa launch area up at the point...I saw some folks out yesterday in a double kayak.
Stop in for some Christmas cheer if you are in the hood!

fishbuck - 12-22-2018 at 11:57 AM

Nice report. Thanks Shari.
I had a few sit on top ocean kayaks. So fun. But difficult and a tad dangerous. Big water can be fun but very tiring. Landing is the important part. Launching is easy.
I still want to catch a kayak Yellowtail at your beach. My dream.
I think I remember someone there trolled up a Dorado from a yak.
I will be practicing at Crystal Cove and Newport Harbor.
On Mackerel:cool:

shari - 12-23-2018 at 08:12 AM

yakers are happy reelin in YT these days close to shore and some shore fishers are catching them too...woo hoo.

Bubba - 12-23-2018 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
yakers are happy reelin in YT these days close to shore and some shore fishers are catching them too...woo hoo.

Yellers from shore is on my bucket list!

eguillermo - 12-27-2018 at 12:25 PM

Well now, was someone making fun of my trepidations about launching? :) After creating a full yard sale on Capitola beach some years back and damaging my foldboat to the tune of several C notes -- landing not launching as someone said -- I try to be conservative.

But it was fully OK at San Roque on 12/22, thanks for the tip Baja Boy! It was nowhere near as flat as your pics though, and camping a half mile back into the desert I could still hear the surf booming on the beach south of San Roque. Joke if you like; I'd like to see ya launch and land a yak through THAT chit brothers. I'll get out my gravity chair and popcorn.

The fishing wasn't as good as I've seen in the past around there, though I had a splendid wind-free day. Some kelp bass and a calico for dinner were all to speak of, this time.

David K - 12-27-2018 at 02:18 PM

The photos were from my camera and taken in mid-September 2016. Summer is so glorious there!

fishbuck - 12-27-2018 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Well now, was someone making fun of my trepidations about launching? :) After creating a full yard sale on Capitola beach some years back and damaging my foldboat to the tune of several C notes -- landing not launching as someone said -- I try to be conservative.

But it was fully OK at San Roque on 12/22, thanks for the tip Baja Boy! It was nowhere near as flat as your pics though, and camping a half mile back into the desert I could still hear the surf booming on the beach south of San Roque. Joke if you like; I'd like to see ya launch and land a yak through THAT chit brothers. I'll get out my gravity chair and popcorn.

The fishing wasn't as good as I've seen in the past around there, though I had a splendid wind-free day. Some kelp bass and a calico for dinner were all to speak of, this time.

Thank you for the report. Glad you made it back.