BajaNomad

Top 10 Reasons to Visit San Felipe

MySanFelipeVacation - 12-23-2018 at 09:01 PM

Top 10 reasons to visit San Felipe is a fun read. Enjoy, comment and share. :)

https://www.mysanfelipevacation.com/the-top-10-reasons-to-vi...

freediverbrian - 12-23-2018 at 09:31 PM

Nothing to see here move on😉

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by freediverbrian]

dtbushpilot - 12-23-2018 at 09:37 PM

When it's your turn to give Baja an enema you have to go to San Felipe.....

Mulege Canuck - 12-23-2018 at 09:42 PM

Not my cup of tea but there is something for everyone in Baja I guess.

willardguy - 12-23-2018 at 10:01 PM

visiting the Iguana didn't crack the top 10!

mtgoat666 - 12-23-2018 at 10:13 PM

San Felipe is a chit hole.
The beaches in San Felipe suck. Flat and muddy.
The temperature is intolerable 6 months of the year.
The water is murky, rarely clear.

Funny thing is this article says the number 1 reason to visit San Felipe is to visit an ostrich farm and eat ostrich.
I am wondering, how do they prepare the ostrich? What’s it taste like?
Is this reallythe number 1 reason to visit San Felipe?

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by mtgoat666]

BornFisher - 12-23-2018 at 10:20 PM

Was there a few days ago (Thurs night). Didn`t do any of the top 10 things, but loved drinking coffee from the OXXO on a city bench on the malecon. So peaceful and beautiful. Surprised to see a rowing club in their shells power by. The desert looks to be ready for a super bloom with sand verbana going now. The usually brown hills south of town are green now ready to bloom. Give it two or three weeks.
Talked to a few guys in the Miramar cantina. They asked me how long i`ve been coming down. First time--- when the road was dirt!!

fishbuck - 12-24-2018 at 12:02 AM

I remember the heat helping alot with my beer consumption. And I remember thinking that was a good thing... then.
Oh, and the runway:cool:

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by fishbuck]

JZ - 12-24-2018 at 12:24 AM

San Felipe is the dirty arm pit of Baja.

C205Driver - 12-24-2018 at 07:08 AM

.... Only problem I’ve ever had in Baja was when the Federales broke into my parked airplane, stole some things & siphoned of approximately 25 gallons of avgas .... And the rest of the folks at the airport make Trump look honest....

Bubba - 12-24-2018 at 07:29 AM

Do ya think with a name like MySanFelipeVacation that this is spam? Nah, couldn't be,,

Paco Facullo - 12-24-2018 at 11:38 AM

Personally I like San Felipe, how can't I , it's in Baja and the fish tacos and cold beer are always great !

Granted that there are MUCH better places in Baja why not enjoy wherever your at ?

KurtG - 12-24-2018 at 12:12 PM

San Felipe is often an overnight stop for me and I always enjoy a late dinner or a leisurely breakfast on the Malecon.

Don Pisto - 12-24-2018 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
visiting the Iguana didn't crack the top 10!

:lol: no, but number ten was "rekindle your love life"!

Howard - 12-24-2018 at 12:39 PM

A bad day in San Felipe is better than a good day in Los Angeles!

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2018 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
A bad day in San Felipe is better than a good day in Los Angeles!

often do weekend trips to los angeles for theatre, dinner, museum trip. Dont even need a car. Just train to city, light rail and uber to get around.

Different strokes for different folks.

fishbuck - 12-24-2018 at 01:20 PM

I guess if your comparing San Felipe to east LA...
But if your comparing San Filepe to the Getty Museum...
As for beach...
I still love Newport Beach and Newport Coast alot.
I find I like Orange County and LA County more now that I am not a card carrying member of the Rat Race. I don't drive as much.
It's been a long time since I was in San Felipe.
But I noticed online that a lot of nice house have been built. I see them for sale.

AKgringo - 12-24-2018 at 01:31 PM

It is wet and muddy here in northern CA, and even my dog doesn't want to go outside. Being cradled in the arm pit of Baja sounds pretty good right now!

San Felipe is not my choice of destinations, but if I had a reason to be around longer than an overnight stay, I would look forward to learning more about the area.

fishbuck - 12-24-2018 at 02:25 PM

Right. Being transported from my last home (Everett WA) to San Felipe in winter would help alot.
I get cold here in SoCal.
I could use some dry heat right about now.

David K - 12-24-2018 at 02:38 PM

It is very cold at night in the winter in San Felipe, very cold. The sea is ice cold all winter too. Sunny days are nice, however.

fishbuck - 12-24-2018 at 03:09 PM

Should have guessed that. Desert and all.

I'll be one of the contrary voices

John M - 12-24-2018 at 04:23 PM

Though not as long as many contributors here on Nomads, we've been going to Baja for 45 + years. Always we drive. When I was employed we would have just a few days, our activities mostly revolved around the SCORE races. From time to time in the mid-70s and early 80s we ran checkpoints near S.F. and kinda liked it. Fast forward to more recent times.

Now in our mid to late golden years we find it very relaxing to rent a nice house at Playa de Oro for a week or more, make the easy drive, enjoy the early ocean sun-rises and sunsets over the mountains with a couple of drinks.

There are nice places to eat if you search them out.

We wouldn't be so presumptuous as to say it's for everyone, but it suits us from time to time.

Slamming and ridiculing those who may have a different opinion is sort of what has taken BajaNomad in a downward trend. Differing opinions are fine, and expected, but to degrade those with opposing views speaks to the character of the poster.

John & Barbara M

[Edited on 12-24-2018 by John M]

David K - 12-24-2018 at 04:26 PM

Well said John!
Merry Christmas to you and Barbara.

IF You Don't Like San Felipe ................

MrBillM - 12-24-2018 at 05:10 PM

Don't GO !

It is what it is and what you'd expect (or should expect) in Mexico as it's grown.

I first went to San Felipe (from L.A.) to ride in the dirt over a Thanksgiving Holiday in '66. Wind and sand blowing when we got there. Too hard to setup the tents the first night. Slept in the back of the truck under a tarp. Blew the whole time we were there. As it turns out, it was not unusual (especially) at that time of year.

Beginning in '71 living in Indio and Yucca Valley, we traveled there frequently. From 1981 on through 2013 with a residence south of SF, we've been there hundreds of times.

I can understand people loving it and I can understand people hating it. The town itself has grown dramatically and uncontrolled growth tends to be ugly anywhere. Especially in a third-world environment. The climate most of the year can be a challenge with the wind, heat and humidity. The turbid waters occasioned by the shallow coastline and the dramatic tidal differences don't exactly reflect tropical paradise.

BUT, we always (well, mostly always) enjoyed our times there and many thousands of others do each year for a variety of reasons.

It's not like it used to be. That's too bad in many ways and better in others depending on what you're looking for. Those who have been disappointed in their time there likely had uninformed expectations.

I miss it.

Marc - 12-25-2018 at 07:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
San Felipe is often an overnight stop for me and I always enjoy a late dinner or a leisurely breakfast on the Malecon.

Me 2

Udo - 12-25-2018 at 09:35 AM

The best reason for me is the drinking of COCO LOKOS at Reuben's camp, which is always my first stop when in town!
Then there are the margarita trucks cruising down the beach. No where else to be found in Baja and maybe the world!

David K - 12-25-2018 at 10:22 AM

They are in San Felipe, too!

July 2005... What fun Baja is, my (then) girlfriend discovered!

[Edited on 12-25-2018 by David K]

JZ - 12-25-2018 at 10:44 AM

Look at that dirty water in the background.

David K - 12-25-2018 at 02:00 PM

It's not dirty, it's low tide and that is the sand bar seen through the clear water.

ehall - 12-25-2018 at 08:15 PM

Lol. Enjoy it for what it is. Every town in Baja is a little different from the others. Not my favorite nor my least favorite.

Skipjack Joe - 12-25-2018 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It's not dirty, it's low tide and that is the sand bar seen through the clear water.

He's right. It's just the bottom stirred up by surf.