BajaNomad

Caravan to Baja

tsullivan - 12-27-2018 at 01:39 PM

We are heading to Los Barriles the second week of January and are looking for some travel buddies to caravan with us.
Shawna and I are first timers driving in Mexico and we are pulling a 28ft travel trailer with pets.
We both just retired so our dates are very flexible.

Tom

pacificobob - 12-28-2018 at 07:55 AM

hola tom, and welcome. pulling a 28' trailer on the first trip down hwy 1 is a true baptism by fire. please take it slow, driving only during daylight hours. be sure your tires and other equipment are in top shape.
have fun!

David K - 12-28-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
hola tom, and welcome. pulling a 28' trailer on the first trip down hwy 1 is a true baptism by fire. please take it slow, driving only during daylight hours. be sure your tires and other equipment are in top shape.
have fun!

That's for sure!

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

Highway 1 south of San Quintín narrows to 19 ft. wide, no shoulders and often on an elevated levee with no safe pull off for long distances. A few sections of 10 to 20 kms. have been widened in recent years, but mostly not yet.

[Edited on 12-30-2018 by David K]

bajarich - 12-29-2018 at 09:42 PM

The rear wheels of the oncoming semi's are not always in their lane. You will learn that!

pacificobob - 12-31-2018 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarich  
The rear wheels of the oncoming semi's are not always in their lane. You will learn that!

right! the semis that are pulling two trailers (semi doble remolque) are unable to make some turns and keep all wheels in their lane. the geometry just doesn't work out. driving just a bit slower when encountering that is a huge help, and way less frightening.

hombre66 - 1-4-2019 at 02:30 PM

Between El Rosario and Laguna Chapala will be the most treacherous. I got in the habit of tapping my horn right before a blind curve. Worst area will be the higher elevations out of El Rosario . Most of the people you share the highway with will understand poking along at the diminished rate.