BajaNomad

Baja Bound Road Guide (Part 3: San Quintín to Guerrero Negro)

David K - 12-27-2018 at 03:37 PM

To show you part of what I have worked so hard on the past two years, BajaGeoff consented to let me show some of the guide work that will someday be published.

While the format may change, as it is now, I have the guide broken into six parts:

1) Tijuana to San Quintín (also Hwy. 3 and Observatory Road)

2) Mexicali to Laguna Chapala (also Hwy. 2, across to San Vicente, and Valle Chico)

3) San Quintín to Guerrero Negro (also Bahía de los Angeles and to San Francisquito and the Seven Sisters coast road)

4) Guerrero Negro to San Ignacio (also to El Arco/ El Barril, to Bahía Tortugas/ Asunción, and to Punta Abreojos and on to Asunción, to Laguna San Ignacio, San Juanico, Cd. Insurgentes)

5) San Ignacio to Loreto (also Mulegé to Mission Guadalupe, to San Javier, Comondú, La Purísima, and back east to Hwy. 1)

6) Loreto to Cabo San Lucas (also to San Luis Gonzaga, San Evaristo, to Ensenada de los Muertos, Todos Santos, Los Barriles, Tecolote)

I have shared some pages before in the thread on my maps and there has been some updating since.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my work and know that with any guide, it is only accurate the day it was researched! The good news is that I designed this to be easily updated, revised, added to by me or anyone who takes up the job...

continued in the next post...

David K - 12-27-2018 at 03:45 PM

If you think this would be something of value, let Baja Bound know! It may be printed or it may be online as an e-Book, or ?? The above is just one of six sections of Baja. I was sponsored to gather the data and I offered to create a guide and maps. GPS data I also collected will be used to make an interactive map, different from the maps I produced to show the roads mentioned in my guide.

Thank you and happy New Year!

John Harper - 12-27-2018 at 05:18 PM

Wow, very impressive!! You put a lot of effort into this, very well done.

John

David K - 12-27-2018 at 05:43 PM

Thank you John... I gave it a lot of myself both when traveling the nearly 15,000 miles the past two years and writing and formatting.

I do want to give a big thanks publically to the Nomads who provided feedback from both using parts of the guide I sent them and used during their trips, and those helping me with proof-reading or copy editing. My big assistant was John M, a published history author himself and much better with the English language than I! Another great set of eyes and suggestions came from David Brackney, who was the author of the final Auto Club Baja guide and continues to have a love for traveling Baja or lately reading about Baja travels.

fishbuck - 12-27-2018 at 06:26 PM

Just in time for whale season.

Ron in BC - 12-27-2018 at 09:34 PM

Wow, that's going to be a fantastic resource when it's all available.

Either of the two suggested formats would work for me. I slightly favor a spiral bound printed version but if an e-book version is easier to publish sooner than a printed version that would work for me too.

Ron

Pacifico - 12-27-2018 at 10:12 PM

Nice work, DK!

C205Driver - 12-28-2018 at 04:07 PM

Any idea as to when publishing someday is DK?

David K - 12-28-2018 at 04:19 PM

No, but speaking to Hank and Geoff (Baja Bound partners) last week, they said it will happen soon... Just too many pokers in the fire this past year!

As a member of Baja Nomad, you can see a lot of my guide already and the 8 Trip reports contain a lot of the details. Geoff said I could share the guide here, but "don't give it all away," were his words.

The KILOMETER MARKER thread shares data as well as the 2018 MAPS thread. I am here to share what I can, as well.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 12-28-2018 at 07:48 PM

WHAT A LABOR OF LOVE !!!

thank you for taking so much time to create such a fantastic guide.

looking forward to the publication.

BIEN SALUD,

DA RAT

David K - 12-28-2018 at 08:26 PM

El gusto es mio! The mission book and this Baja road guide were two bucket list items for me to complete before I am 'off planet'.

I am thrilled the Baja California Land of Missions book continues to be appreciated and that had me print another 200 copies, in part to fulfill a new order from Sunbelt Publications (where Amazon and Barnes and Noble get them from).

Great stuff David!!

thebajarunner - 12-29-2018 at 05:33 PM

I take my hat off to Geoff and the Bajabound folks for trying to get new and more up to date info on the land we love.
And, as you so succinctly note, it will become obsolete and needing update the moment that it is sent to press..... but that is o.k.

Just what this site needs. It should be all about Baja, and some folks just need to start another forum site for their politicking and name calling.

David K - 1-31-2019 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I take my hat off to Geoff and the Bajabound folks for trying to get new and more up to date info on the land we love.
And, as you so succinctly note, it will become obsolete and needing update the moment that it is sent to press..... but that is o.k.

Just what this site needs. It should be all about Baja, and some folks just need to start another forum site for their politicking and name calling.

Thank you for your comments!
While Baja continually changes, the guide will still offer the traveler insight into what is down there and what is off that dirt road. The Lower California Guidebook (1956-1967 editions) still is a valuable resource for those seeking the story behind many ranches, mines, towns and older roads.

Since I researched the guide (12,000+ miles in 2017 and more in 2018) there are a few changes... and being an online guide, it is easy to keep it updated. That is how I designed it so either myself or others with Baja Bound and the readers, too... will be able to submit changes or corrections to keep it updated!

Some of the changes:
*The 9 dirt miles of the highway to Bahia Tortugas are now paved.
*The road from San Jose de Magdalena up to Mission Guadalupe is reopened.
*The high road north of San Juanico has been repaired and is now preferred over the low or Salina road.
*The damaged Hwy. 5 south of Puertecitos from 10-1-18 storm.
*The new Mexicali border crossing and route to join Hwy. 5.

HeyMulegeScott - 2-4-2019 at 10:23 AM

This is great stuff. I like the idea of having a printed version and interactive.

norte - 2-4-2019 at 11:40 AM

Oh shoot. You told me this would be interactive.

TacoFeliz - 2-4-2019 at 11:55 AM

Keep up the good work David! This is destined to be a go-to guide for many years to come. May the spirit of Gerhard and Gulick keep your project moving :bounce:

David K - 2-4-2019 at 12:08 PM

Thanks!
Howard Gulick is one of my Baja heroes and it was he who inspired me to draw maps and make road logs.
It was Choral Pepper who inspired me to research and write the history (which was Peter Gerhard's contribution to the Lower California Guidebook).

Three2tang and norte, there is an interactive Baja map that I have provided over 800 entries to, many with photographs, as part of my Baja Bound guide & mapping project. We all hope that Geoff can find the time to make it available to all Baja Bound customers.

norte - 2-4-2019 at 01:26 PM

Nooooo...I meant interactive like point and click a location and perhaps a subject and an answer comes up. Or better yet....point and ask a question....with an answer coming up. Not a visual look at the map interaction.

David K - 2-4-2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Nooooo...I meant interactive like point and click a location and perhaps a subject and an answer comes up. Or better yet....point and ask a question....with an answer coming up. Not a visual look at the map interaction.

Interesting... sort of a HAL 9000 for Baja?

Whale-ista - 3-22-2019 at 11:01 PM

Wonderful concept! Thanks for creating this.

Ever since AAA discontinued their guide book I've been wondering who would fill the need.

David K - 3-23-2019 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Wonderful concept! Thanks for creating this.

Ever since AAA discontinued their guide book I've been wondering who would fill the need.

Thank you for the comment... very kind! The guide will have much more road detail and side trips than the AAA Baja guide but will not have many city details and nightlife hotspots. I just didn't have time to cruise around cities looking for that sort of thing. I think most of us who drive to Baja are escaping cities on our side of the border?

[Edited on 11-4-2022 by David K]

David K - 12-20-2020 at 02:44 PM

Nothing much to report, at best the guide will be published when travel bans are lifted and people are buying as much Mexican auto insurance as they used to. Parts 2, 3, 4 of the 6-part road guide are shared for your entertainment. The published version will have updates over these to reflect the paved roads and other changes since 2018. Support Baja Bound Insurance, which supports Baja Nomad. Thank you!

David K - 11-4-2022 at 01:07 PM

Update: The road guide is scheduled for public release at the next Baja Expo, March 2023.

I have two interactive maps now at VivaBaja.com

The Baja Bound Articles map has a dot at locations I wrote about plus a photo will appear at most of the dots: https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-travel-map/

The new Viva Baja Photos map has over 1,600 photos from my camera plus a few others at each camera icon on the map. Important: zoom in close to areas of interest to see more icons/ photos... scroll around as if you are flying over to see photos all over the peninsula. Most were taken in the past five years, while working on the Baja Bound Guide:
https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

bajatrailrider - 11-5-2022 at 10:09 AM

Hey David do you have any recent info ? Vicente G to San Q. We are planning few weeks run it on motos. Our concern is last flooding as of last year. At mid way point anything 4 wheels no go . Last time the few 4 wheel tracks all . Turned tale at mid way point in cross sandwash . Thanks if you have info

David K - 11-5-2022 at 10:20 AM

No, nothing comes to mind off the Internet.
Was on Hwy. 1 between those two towns last March in TW's Tacoma. This is just a 20 mile section of highway. I suspect you are seeking something more...?

bajatrailrider - 11-5-2022 at 02:59 PM

Its off road east of highway 100 to 140 miles . Baja bound did it years back 4x4 van. Im sure Tw has done it years back.

David K - 11-5-2022 at 03:48 PM

I am confused (no surprise, right?)... you said: "Hey David do you have any recent info ? Vicente G to San Q."
Also, since the observatory is 62 miles east of the highway, and halfawy across the peninsula, 100+ miles would be in the San Felipe desert or Sea of Cortez, right?

TW and The squarecircle did that big mountain loop drive and TW saw and photographed the San Isidoro ruins (photo on page 216 of my book). That road is on my map:

I bet that is the road you may be asking about, as you did have some interest in San Isidoro, I recall?!

Now, going east from Hwy. 1 was my trip to up to the observatory and El Coyote (in 2017) where you rescued me with a pair of vise grips (I still owe you). Also, the 5 miles drive to Mission Santo Domingo, east of Colonia Vicente G.

Just south of San Quintin, I did drive down from Petroglyph Park and Rancho El Cipres to El Socorro, after driving up from El Rosario and El Sacrificio (Km. 103+) on the race course. That was back in 2005.

Photos of these trips are on the new map: https://vivabaja.com/explore/baja-photos-map/

[Edited on 11-5-2022 by David K]

bajatrailrider - 11-6-2022 at 09:59 AM

W getting closer now David yes San Isidoro way If you recall locked gate now. Im trying to ask current not 20 years ago as I have info from last year. Even that is old info of no value last month gully washer. Could make route not even passable to dirt bike. Any one here been there this year? HAHA or do we prepare for anything Not likely. Somebody drives in with tractor 50 miles fixes wash.:D

surfhat - 11-6-2022 at 12:34 PM

When in the San Quintin area and hungry, check out Humadales Restaurant sp? on the side of the protected estuary bird flyway for the best fresh oysters and shell fish around.

I found these were not available anywhere on my trip to GN and back in any of the hotel restaurants, so this was a great find.

Can't beat a fresh oyster on the half shell and Humadales has them. That all nature view over the estuary is a definite bonus. They also have some kayak tours of the estuary that is on my things to do list next time.

bajatrailrider - 11-6-2022 at 06:52 PM

Where might that be ? little more info please

Los Humedales (The Wetlands) Restaurante

David K - 11-7-2022 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Where might that be ? little more info please

They have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063471035574

Menu:
https://www.facebook.com/100063471035574/menu/?referrer=PAGE...

The Arch of the Wetlands: https://www.facebook.com/elarcodeloshumedales

bajatrailrider - 11-7-2022 at 10:07 AM

Thanks David What I did not see the most important . A picture of outside this place haha I know that area well. From dirt biking just dont know it by sight

David K - 11-7-2022 at 10:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Thanks David What I did not see the most important . A picture of outside this place haha I know that area well. From dirt biking just dont know it by sight

Look again... there is even a video showing the history of prepping the site and building the restaurant: https://www.facebook.com/100063471035574/videos/108178296944...

Here is the Google Maps location for it: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Los+humedales/@30.5162821,...

Los Humedores.jpg - 186kB

[Edited on 11-7-2022 by David K]

surfhat - 11-7-2022 at 12:54 PM

Just on the south side of the large military base in San Quintin there is a road that heads off toward the coast and the old volcanoes. It is a few miles on the south side of the road and is all by itself overlooking the estuary so you cannot miss it.

It is a score for anyone to check out. The freshness of good oysters and clams is tough to beat, along with a chilled beer of course. A dozen goes down easy.

surfhat - 11-7-2022 at 12:56 PM

A dozen oysters, not beers. haha

David K - 11-8-2022 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Just on the south side of the large military base in San Quintin there is a road that heads off toward the coast and the old volcanoes. It is a few miles on the south side of the road and is all by itself overlooking the estuary so you cannot miss it.

It is a score for anyone to check out. The freshness of good oysters and clams is tough to beat, along with a chilled beer of course. A dozen goes down easy.

I believe the wide dirt road on the south corner of the military base is at Km. 193... or close.