BajaNomad

Easiest route to Sentri lane

larryC - 12-29-2018 at 06:55 AM

I'm heading north through Mexicali on Hwy 5 and need to get to the Sentri lane crossing at the west gate. Is there an easier way than going the old route and following the border "wall" to the signed detour? The detour is well signed but I figured there must be a better way off of 5.

Paul W I believe posted it

John M - 12-29-2018 at 09:46 AM

About a month ago I believe Paul W posted a new route. It does not follow the traditional go to the border and turn left but rather heads west and approaches almost directly from the south.

Probably you can do a search here and find it, or whoever posted it will respond.

We use the Mexicali east SENTRI with ease, but that's not what you asked.

John M

MICK - 12-29-2018 at 04:28 PM

Stay on the main road into mexicali. Go past the shopping center and turn left on James w stone ave. At the second stop turn rt on the new river road (blvd. Los presidentes ). That will take you straight to sentri.
You could also take a left (under the bridge) at Walter mart and go to the river road and turn rt.

JZ - 12-29-2018 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
Stay on the main road into mexicali. Go past the shopping center and turn left on James w stone ave. At the second stop turn rt on the new river road (blvd. Los presidentes ). That will take you straight to sentri.
You could also take a left (under the bridge) at Walter mart and go to the river road and turn rt.

In the age of GPS we get this? How about laying down some tracks?

BajaMama - 12-31-2018 at 02:10 PM

[/rquote]

I had to laugh - the first and only time I cross Mexicali East was October. The road on my printed Baja Bound instructions was closed off, so I had to follow my GPS. Got me there but there was a 1/2 mile long line....me being confused at the time kept driving past it hoping it was NOT the Sentri line. Turned out it was Sentri and Ready lanes, but when I got to the lane entry a car was stopped for some reason giving a big gap. So I entered. I really didn't cut anyone off because most people in line were for the ready lane, not so much for Sentri.

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2018 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by MICK  

In the usa i use my phone w/ gps
When i cross into mexico, i turn off my smart phone and open up my telcel flip phone. And, hard for some to imagine, but i dont use gps... the rare time i need a map, i pull out paper.

I suspect some kids today that tell us paper is is obsolete simply cant find themselves w/o their phone telling them where they are :lol:

JZ - 12-31-2018 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

In the usa i use my phone w/ gps
When i cross into mexico, i turn off my smart phone and open up my telcel flip phone. And, hard for some to imagine, but i dont use gps... the rare time i need a map, i pull out paper.

I suspect some kids today that tell us paper is is obsolete simply cant find themselves w/o their phone telling them where they are :lol:

I was into boating way before offroading. Always had paper charts, but when you are out on the Pacific and the fog rolls in and you can't see past the bow of the boat, a paper chart isn't gonna do chit for you.

Remember being about 10 miles off the marina in Ventura about 15 years ago. It went from a clear day to zero visibility in 20 mins.

We navigated right into the break water while others were calling the coast guard crying and begging them to come out and help them in.

Been hooked on technology for a very long time, and outside of SoC guidebooks, don't own a single Baja paper map.

[Edited on 12-31-2018 by JZ]

WestyWanderer - 12-31-2018 at 06:16 PM

This is the easiest way I have found to get to the Sentri lanes at the Mexicali west boarder...

Sorry, my mapping skills are terrible, but basically follow the red dots (Left on Calzada James W. Stone then Right on Calzada de los Presidentes) then there are easy to read signs that direct you to the Sentri.

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by WestyWanderer]

Map.png - 244kB

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by WestyWanderer]

larryC - 1-2-2019 at 09:18 AM

Thanks Westy, I needed that.

WestyWanderer - 1-2-2019 at 03:00 PM

Happy to help.