BajaNomad

Sentri?---Global entry?

thebajarunner - 12-29-2018 at 12:01 PM

I am confused (not unusual these days unfortunately)
Spent the weekend down and around the border with family and meetings in San Diego and Tijuana.

My brother in law showed me his border pass.... it was clearly marked "Sentri"
My son showed me his border pass....it was clearly marked "Global Entry"

So, can someone help me here?
Are they the same?
Or not?
Or what?

I need to get a Global Entry - we got delayed at SFO returning from Cabo couple months back while the apparent Global Entry line was flying through. But I also want to be able to use Sentri lines when driving.

bajaguy - 12-29-2018 at 12:06 PM

One advantage to Global Entry is you can get your interview at selected airports (San Diego being one) and eliminate the hassle of getting an appointment at Otay

JZ - 12-29-2018 at 12:33 PM

Apply for Global Entry, it includes TSA Pre and Sentri.

During the application fill in the info about your vehicle that you want to use for Sentri.

[Edited on 12-30-2018 by JZ]

John Harper - 12-29-2018 at 01:21 PM

I see the fee for Global Entry is $100, but I don't see the fee for just a SENTRI pass listed on the CBP site. What's the fee difference? If you can get SENTRI with the GE pass, that seems even better.

John

JZ - 12-29-2018 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I see the fee for Global Entry is $100, but I don't see the fee for just a SENTRI pass listed on the CBP site. What's the fee difference? If you can get SENTRI with the GE pass, that seems even better.

John

This doesn't answer you specific question, but you can get your minor kids a Sentri pass for free.

"For Global Entry applications, children under 18 must pay the $100 application fee. Children under 18 do not pay an application fee for NEXUS. Minor applicants of SENTRI who are linked to their parent's accounts will also not pay an application fee."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1305/~/trusted-...

JZ - 12-29-2018 at 02:23 PM

Info on fees: https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

No idea why they are charging $122 for Sentri. It does in include GE and TSA Pre.

Global Entry gives you TSA Pre and Sentri for $100.

Btw, several airline CC's reimburse you for the Global Entry fee. I got mine and one of my kids paid for by AmEx.

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by JZ]

BajaMama - 12-31-2018 at 02:15 PM

Have the procedures changed for getting SENTRI? 2016 we applied and had to do our interview at the border after initial application approval. The agent informed us TSApre and Global Entry were also included with the SENTRI pass.

Is the current procedure to apply Global Entry and they will include SENTRI and TSApre w/o having to do an interview at the border?

JZ - 12-31-2018 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Have the procedures changed for getting SENTRI? 2016 we applied and had to do our interview at the border after initial application approval. The agent informed us TSApre and Global Entry were also included with the SENTRI pass.

Is the current procedure to apply Global Entry and they will include SENTRI and TSApre w/o having to do an interview at the border?

Yes, apply for GE and you get the others. You can do the interview at an airport or the border. You can generally get an interview scheduled several weeks faster at the border (Calexico). We did LAX, I think it was about a 5 week wait. Could have done it at the border in 1 week.

No more vehicle inspections for Sentri, at least when you get it as part of GE.

Pacifico - 12-31-2018 at 05:36 PM

My wife and I applied for Sentri and while doing the interview for Sentri, the agent was super nice and told us that she added Global Entry and TSA pre-check for us because it was no additional cost. That was years ago... maybe now it is all included automatically?

imlost - 12-31-2018 at 05:42 PM

That's correct. It's bundled together if you get Global Entry.

JZ - 12-31-2018 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
My wife and I applied for Sentri and while doing the interview for Sentri, the agent was super nice and told us that she added Global Entry and TSA pre-check for us because it was no additional cost. That was years ago... maybe now it is all included automatically?

I looked closer, and applying for Sentri does give you GE and TSA Pre. It cost $22 more.

The only difference I can tell is you have to have a passport to prove US citizenship with GE, but for a Sentri application you can use a Birth Certificate.

Having 3 distinct programs seems to make zero sense.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2018 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

I looked closer, and applying for Sentri does give you GE and TSA Pre. It cost $22 more.

The only difference I can tell is you have to have a passport to prove US citizenship with GE, but for a Sentri application you can use a Birth Certificate.

Having 3 distinct programs seems to make zero sense.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

Sentri is for gringos and foreigners xing mex land border
Ge is for gringos only, any usa entry
Nexus is for gringos and foreigners xing canada land border
Diff programs, some diff and some same purposes

WestyWanderer - 12-31-2018 at 06:01 PM

Global entry gives you the benefits of Sentri PLUS you get TSA Pre-check AS WELL as access to expedited lanes through immigration and customs when FLYING into the US from abroad.

Basically, you have to ask yourself one question:

Do I have kids under the age of 16?

If the answer is no then get Global Entry, more benefit than Sentri for less money.

(the reason for this is kids under 16 can be added to your Sentri pass for a small fee, with Global Entry they have to get their own pass at a cost of $100 per pass).

JZ - 12-31-2018 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  

Basically, you have to ask yourself one question:

Do I have kids under the age of 16?

If the answer is no then get Global Entry, more benefit than Sentri for less money.

(the reason for this is kids under 16 can be added to your Sentri pass for a small fee, with Global Entry they have to get their own pass at a cost of $100 per pass).

Per the website it says minor children, so under 18. In hindsight, I wish I had known this.

Also, the website says Sentri gives you "Expedited processing for U.S. citizens and LPRs into U.S. following an international flight." Which is the main feature of GE. So, not sure it can be said GE provides broader benefits.

The govt. could not make something much more nonsensical.

Only differences seem to be,

1. Must be permanent resident for GE, Sentri works with Visa
2. GE is $100 vs. $122 for Sentri
3. Minor kids are free with Sentri and $100 each for GE

Both GE and Sentri provide:

a. TSA pre for domestic flights
b. Expedited customs for inbound international flights
c. Access to Sentri lanes coming from MX to the US

WestyWanderer - 12-31-2018 at 11:07 PM

As stated before, if you have kids go with Sentri, if not, go with Global Entry, hope that helps

[Edited on 1-1-2019 by WestyWanderer]

JZ - 12-31-2018 at 11:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
As stated before, if you have kids go with Sentri, if not, go with Global Entry, hope that helps

That is a good summary of the thread.

thebajarunner - 1-1-2019 at 09:52 AM

Thanks to all who dived in on this thread!!
You stayed on topic (mostly)
You added lots of helpful info
You did not call any names.
I actually remember a place long ago that was like this...
lots of info and no personal attacks.
It was called "BajaNomad"

Happy New Year to all the nice people on this board.

Get every one you can! (SENTRI/GE/TSA Pre-check)

Whale-ista - 1-1-2019 at 04:12 PM

Lots of helpful advice here.

I would add: in light of the government shutdown, threats to close the border, etc. etc.- get every level of travel clearance you can.

The costs, interviews, paperwork & time to apply & be approved will only increase in the years ahead. And the programs may change as well.

So: don't wait.

In my experience: GE is great when returning from overseas- especially around holidays. Customs lines can take forever.

TSA Pre-check simplifies that process when departing & saves time as well: keep your belts & shoes on, carry your water bottle, etc.

SENTRI benefits go without saying.

So- get them all.
They will more than pay for themselves in time saved & headaches averted.

eguillermo - 6-26-2020 at 02:47 PM

Coming back around to this helpful thread with a question:

Does it make sense to schedule the interview for the day before you want to cross? Or is there a significant lag time of days or weeks after the interview before you actually get a pass?

After a very, very long wait, I'm approved to schedule an interview! Bad news is, I live in Santa Cruz, and it looks like the closest options for an interview are San Diego or Calexico.

If it can't be done day-before, I will actually fly down to SD, rent a car, get the interview, take a hike and have a beer and come home. That'll add up to few hundred bucks and at least a day, but it's easily worth avoiding another hell wait to get back home. :)

bajaguy - 6-26-2020 at 04:06 PM

If you successfully complete the interview, it takes 1 - 2 weeks to get your card in the mail. You can check your trusted traveler account for your pending status

We transitioned from SENTRI to Global Entry without a problem, thought the program was quicker

[Edited on 6-26-2020 by bajaguy]

tjsue - 6-27-2020 at 09:29 AM

How long did you have to wait for approval? I applied for my GE in October, and it's pending review. I applied for GE to replace my expiring Sentri.

Maybe someday...

amigobaja - 6-28-2020 at 01:28 PM

I applied last September. My wife and grandson applied in Jan. They were approved in two weeks where as I was not approved until May. Then of coarse before we could make an appointment for interview everything shut down unless you are returning on International flight and you can do it at the airport before you clear customs. So long way around who knows when dealing with the govt. can't wait until they take over my health care.

tjsue - 6-28-2020 at 09:21 PM

I just check the TT website once per week, and I figure by this time next year, I "may" have it.

eguillermo - 7-3-2020 at 01:04 PM

My Sentri application took 362 days before being cleared for the interview.

Which is better than never :)

Don Jorge - 7-3-2020 at 01:55 PM

Recently completed the online application for Sentri and 2 days after sending it in was given conditional approval and able to schedule an interview at Otay.

Unfortunately the first available interview dates were in March, 2021.

However, per their website, they are not doing much until after July 6.
Hoping as they get back at it and up to speed interview slots will become available sooner.

eguillermo - 7-3-2020 at 02:16 PM

+1 to more/earlier appointments.

That's pretty funny, that it only took two days for you Don Jorge :) I'm not making it up; my original application payment was in June 2019, and I just got my conditional approval this June.

There's a "Change to Global Entry" button on the web page, but I'm too terrified that if I click it, I'll go back to the end of a year-long queue!!!

tjsue - 7-4-2020 at 07:38 AM

As of yesterday, my application is still pending review. I find it strange, because I had a Sentri for five years.

TedZark - 7-4-2020 at 10:27 AM

Don Jorge wrote: Unfortunately the first available interview dates were in March, 2021.

It helps if you look at other locations for the interview. I did mine in Calexico. It was easier to schedule, much sooner, friendly interviewer. Easy Peasy. Don't fight the system. It took an overnight in El Centro, but so what? I got it done.

SFandH - 7-4-2020 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Don Jorge wrote: Unfortunately the first available interview dates were in March, 2021.

It helps if you look at other locations for the interview. I did mine in Calexico. It was easier to schedule, much sooner, friendly interviewer. Easy Peasy. Don't fight the system. It took an overnight in El Centro, but so what? I got it done.

Where did you stay in El Centro? Was it an OK motel? I need to go there for two nights.

Does anybody have recommendations?

[Edited on 7-4-2020 by SFandH]

Bajazly - 7-4-2020 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Where did you stay in El Centro? Was it an OK motel? I need to go there for two nights.

There is a Travel Lodge on Imperial I believe a block or so from 8, about $50 or a bit more a night and plenty clean.

mtgoat666 - 7-4-2020 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Rodeway Inn by the airport. Has nicer pool, larger rooms, compared to the other budget chain hotels in town. Perhaps pool is closed in these covid-19 times?

Don Jorge - 7-5-2020 at 09:22 AM

Calexico is online again. January 6 2021 is earliest right now. Hoping things change again.

[Edited on 7-5-2020 by Don Jorge]

JZ - 7-5-2020 at 10:29 AM

My GE app told about 6 weeks for approval. My kids took about a month. Interview at LAX took about 6 weeks to schedule for them and the same for me.

Daughter just renewed her passport. Started in Feb, and just now got it.

Trusted traveler program enrollment on hold through Aug. 10

BajaNomad - 7-5-2020 at 08:53 PM

--
U.S. Customs and Border Protection, CBP, is postponing the reopening of the Trusted Traveler Program enrollment centers through Aug. 10. CBP had planned to resume taking applications and conducting interviews later this month, but decided to hold off “to ensure the health and safety of program applicants.”
--

https://www.borderreport.com/news/trusted-traveler-program-e...

Global Entry Approval

BajaMama - 7-8-2020 at 09:34 AM

Wow, I submitted my renewal application for GE, SENTRI, & TSA-Pre on July 6. Received approval this morning. So far no notification that I need another interview.

Thanks for the recommendations to re-new GE - the card can be used for SENTRI, too. Initially we applied for SENTRI and the agent at our border interview "added" GE & TSA-Pre. To renew just GE only $100.

tjsue - 7-8-2020 at 10:25 PM

I checked my GE application today, and it's still pending review.

BajaMama - 7-9-2020 at 06:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  

Mine was a renewal so maybe that's why it was approved.

tjsue - 7-9-2020 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Mine was a renewal so maybe that's why it was approved.

Mine is a replacement for my Sentri which was getting ready to expire.

billklaser - 7-9-2020 at 10:34 AM

I have been working on my Sentri renewal for about 18 months. First it took a year to get to the point of scheduling an interview that I needed. The interview schedule has been cancelled twice now. Was finally supposed to have my interview on Monday the 13th, that was just cancelled. I might try some of the advice posted of going to El Centro. We did cross at the Mexicali East crossing yesterday coming back from Loreto, it took 3 min around 10:00am.

BajaMama - 7-10-2020 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
I have been working on my Sentri renewal for about 18 months. First it took a year to get to the point of scheduling an interview that I needed. The interview schedule has been cancelled twice now. Was finally supposed to have my interview on Monday the 13th, that was just cancelled. I might try some of the advice posted of going to El Centro. We did cross at the Mexicali East crossing yesterday coming back from Loreto, it took 3 min around 10:00am.

Is the interview required for renewal? I did not receive any kind of notification that I need another one, just a "notification of approval."

[Edited on 7-10-2020 by BajaMama]

billklaser - 7-10-2020 at 08:02 AM

The last time my wife and I did our renewal there was no interview required. This time my wife did not require one and I did? I imagine it is a random thing, as nothing in my life is any different.

BajaMama - 7-10-2020 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
The last time my wife and I did our renewal there was no interview required. This time my wife did not require one and I did? I imagine it is a random thing, as nothing in my life is any different.

Thank you.

BajaTed - 7-22-2020 at 10:08 AM

CLOSED until September if lucky

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/...

tjsue - 7-22-2020 at 03:56 PM

I read about it earlier. Maybe I'l have my GE by October of 2021.

tjsue - 7-29-2020 at 08:12 PM

I received the conditional approval for my GE today, and the first appointment was on June 3, 2021.

I made an appointment just to have one, but when I get on a regular work schedule, and I know what my days off will be, I'll start checking for cancellations.

Bajazly - 7-29-2020 at 10:11 PM

I received the conditional approval for my GE today, and the first appointment was on June 3, 2021.

I made an appointment just to have one, but when I get on a regular work schedule, and I know what my days off will be, I'll start checking for cancellations.

Check Calexico, it may be a bit of a drive but when I did it a year and a bit ago the appointments were as close as next day. Different now perhaps but I doubt a year out.

mtgoat666 - 7-29-2020 at 11:00 PM

Given the USA’s inability to control covid-19 contagion, and current administration’s complete lack of interest in controlling contagion, it is unlikely any foreign government will allow USA citizen to enter a foreign country prior to June 2021,...
with luck, a new administration will take over in Jan 2021, and maybe USA infection rate will drop in early 2021.
You probably won’t need GE until July 2021 or later, eh?

tjsue - 7-30-2020 at 08:15 AM

I'm not in a hurry, and have no plans to drive anywhere else with the exception of Otay Mesa for my interview.

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Check Calexico, it may be a bit of a drive but when I did it a year and a bit ago the appointments were as close as next day. Different now perhaps but I doubt a year out.

tjsue - 7-30-2020 at 08:20 AM

Calexico Enrollment Center
1699 East Carr Road, Calexico, CALIFORNIA 92231
Next Available Appointment: April 23, 2021

Los Angeles International Global Entry EC
11099 S LA CIENEGA BLVD, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90045
No appointments available for this location

TedZark - 7-30-2020 at 12:47 PM

I had a similar experience as Bajazly. Wait a long time, or go to Calexico. My guess is that the folks at Calexico are more friendly.

Bajaboy - 8-20-2020 at 09:57 AM

Whooo hooo, I finally got conditional approval for sentri. I applied last September. My wife applied in late October and was approved in March. Go figure. Need to check on the kids applications.

From what I understand we need to find a day with four appointments. Is this true for those with kids? Hopefully in another year we have our cards1

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2020 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Whooo hooo, I finally got conditional approval for sentri. I applied last September. My wife applied in late October and was approved in March. Go figure. Need to check on the kids applications.

From what I understand we need to find a day with four appointments. Is this true for those with kids? Hopefully in another year we have our cards1

Memory is a bit fuzzy, it was a few years ago, but I recall that we used a single appt for entire family. Linked applications allowed for making single appt. entire family interviewed at same time.

elgatoloco - 8-20-2020 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Great news! Good things come to those who wait. :D

freediverbrian - 8-20-2020 at 04:12 PM

I got same day appointment for my wife and I but interviews are separate. Don't know about children under 18 of age.

[Edited on 8-20-2020 by freediverbrian]

elgatoloco - 8-20-2020 at 04:17 PM

Wife and I had separate appointments for RENEWAL and officer called us both over and we took turns sitting at his desk to answer questions and take photos.

tjsue - 8-27-2020 at 08:16 PM

To get cancellation appointments for Sentri or GE, try this website:

https://appointmentscanner.com/

[Edited on 8-28-2020 by tjsue]

SENTRI Interview questions

DosMars - 9-23-2020 at 08:01 AM

I recently got the ball rolling again on getting the family SENTRI passes. We were scheduled for our interview a week before a big trip south in March, but I relized I could get an appointment on our way back from that trip that would save us a separate drive down. Unfortunately, Covid shut things down before the trip and our appointment was cancelled...!

I noticed they were accepting reservations at Calexico again, so went ahead and made an appointment for August of next year. I was able to bump it up a couple of months by checking back in periodically and was lucky enough to nab a spot in June that had recently been cancelled.

Question: The spot I reserved is for 4 people, each of the others has their own appointment scheduled, but at later dates. I'm assuming since they're in the system with appointments, they'll get done at the eaarlier date? Don't see anywhere where they can reserve a spot on that particular day at the particular time I reserved in June...

Question 2: What do I need to bring with me as far as getting the car checked out? I'm assuming they do the vehicle at the same interview time? Or do you need a separate interview for the vehicle?

I took a look at the link above for the app that notifies you of cancellations, but have been just checking in periodically. Has anyone had luck with the app before I plop down my $15? Seems like if everyone with the app is getting the same heads up I'm only increasing my odds of grabbing that spot marginally.

Thanks, hopefully the border will be diled in by the time we get cleared for the fast lane!

-Mark

Bajazly - 9-23-2020 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
Question 2: What do I need to bring with me as far as getting the car checked out? I'm assuming they do the vehicle at the same interview time? Or do you need a separate interview for the vehicle?

-Mark

Bring all the paperwork for the car, rego, insurance and so on but the inspection may take place the first time you cross back into the US. I say may because some never get inspected but they don't do inspections at the interview.

RocketJSquirrel - 9-23-2020 at 10:01 AM

I never got inspected, though they did want to see my insurance papers at the interview. I got the impression it was just something on a checklist that needed to be crossed off.

I found the process friendly and cordial. Nice people, just overloaded with too much paperwork (AKA ass-covering)

Udo - 9-23-2020 at 12:04 PM

Mine took seven months. My wife's was two weeks!

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
My Sentri application took 362 days before being cleared for the interview.

Which is better than never :)

JZ - 9-23-2020 at 04:15 PM

No inspection for us. Didn't ask for paperwork on the vehicle.

I brought whatever they asked for though.

tjsue - 9-23-2020 at 04:32 PM

I had Appointment Scanner for two weeks, but I cancelled it and got a refund.

I was amazed at all the appointments that I was offered (over 100), but was never able to get one. After talking to a couple of people that did get appointments, they told me that you have to literally be on your computer/phone, and be logged into the Trusted Traveler website 24/7, so that when an appointment shows up you can grab it.

I figured as much, and with everyone else wanting an earlier appointment, I decided it wasn't for me, so I cancelled it. I don't have time, nor do I want to be glued to my computer/phone, and be logged into the TT website all the time. So my appointment is still June 3, 2021.

DosMars - 9-24-2020 at 10:33 AM

Not sure if this was discussed upthread, but I just found this on the Trusted Travelers site:

"What does it cost a Global Entry member to get the NEXUS or SENTRI benefit?"

"If you register your vehicle in SENTRI as part of your initial Global Entry application, there is no fee. If you wish to register your vehicle after your initial application, you must pay a $42 registration fee for a CBP vehicle inspection at a SENTRI enrollment center."

Now I'm wondering what's involved with switching my application from SENTRI to Global Entry and if they'll let me add the vehicle information to the GE application...

Sounds like there are more places where you can get an interview for Global Entry and therefore more open slots?

[Edited on 9-24-2020 by DosMars]

JZ - 9-24-2020 at 10:42 AM

Not sure if this was discussed upthread, but I just found this on the Trusted Travelers site:

"What does it cost a Global Entry member to get the NEXUS or SENTRI benefit?"

"If you register your vehicle in SENTRI as part of your initial Global Entry application, there is no fee. If you wish to register your vehicle after your initial application, you must pay a $42 registration fee for a CBP vehicle inspection at a SENTRI enrollment center."

Now I'm wondering what's involved with switching my application from SENTRI to Global Entry and if they'll let me add the vehicle information to the GE application...

Sounds like there are more places where you can get an interview for Global Entry and therefore more open slots?

[Edited on 9-24-2020 by DosMars]

Sentri only makes sense if one of two things is true: 1) you aren't US citizen or 2) you have minor children (they are free under Sentri, but not GE)

Otherwise, GE is the way to go.

[Edited on 9-24-2020 by JZ]

DosMars - 9-24-2020 at 01:39 PM

We do have two kids. How much does it cost to run kids through GE?

Another Sentri/GE experience

MontyF - 9-24-2020 at 02:30 PM

I applied April, 2019

approved for interview April, 2020
First interview appointment available Calexico was August 15

Interview cancelled by CBP August 1. Kept checking Calexico availability
but no appointments. Now have appt late October for Douglas AZ.
8 hour drive one way.

Once you get approval for interview, check interview sites daily. Interview slots open and then quickly get filled (that's how I got Douglas; next day no appointments available)

GE interviews at designated airports are only for passengers ARRIVING on international flights.

DosMars - 9-24-2020 at 02:40 PM

That's amazing, it took you a year just to get approved for an interview? We were conditionally approved almost immediately, but the wait time for an interview was six months.
I have a freind who has been waitning for 2 years to hear back anything. I told him to log onto the site to check his status and just start over if nothing turns up.

JZ - 9-24-2020 at 02:58 PM

We do have two kids. How much does it cost to run kids through GE?

$100 each. Unless you have a credit card that reimburses you (i.e. AmEx does, etc.).

tjsue - 9-24-2020 at 03:49 PM

I heard that you can call the Otay Mesa office in the morning right after they open, and ask if they have any cancellations for that day.