BajaNomad

Volaris - TJ to Loreto question

geronimo21 - 1-3-2019 at 03:22 PM

It looks like Volaris starts its TJ to Loreto flights on March 9th.

I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX).

What's the difference? Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja...but not having been there, I don't know the lay of the land.

Any advice that helps avoid a logistical nightmare would be much appreciated!

Also, anyone ever take a surfboard or fishing gear on Volaris? It looks like max length for boards is just over 8'. Wondering if anyone has been able to take a longboard on Volaris...like a 9'6"?

JZ - 1-3-2019 at 03:33 PM

CBX is the walkway from the US to the TJ airport. Super fast to walk across and get to the gate. Parking available in the CBX lot.

On the Voaris website you have the option of buying the CBX pass when you buy your tickets.

geronimo21 - 1-3-2019 at 05:09 PM

Thanks, JZ.

If one goes to the Volaris website there are two options for Tijuana departures: Tijuana-San Diego (CBX) and Tijuana.

Only the Tijuana departure provides an option for Loreto (the TJ-SD/CBX does not - last screenshot attached...).

So, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Why are flights offered from one "terminal" and not the other? What am I missing here?

Is it just a matter of booking the TJ departure option and walking across the CBX to the TJ terminal or are there other logistics to consider?

Also, it looks like they may be tweaking their site. Yesterday, airfare was quoted in usd and today only pesos...

Screenshots uploaded.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
CBX is the walkway from the US to the TJ airport. Super fast to walk across and get to the gate. Parking available in the CBX lot.

On the Voaris website you have the option of buying the CBX pass when you buy your tickets.

Screenshot_2019-01-02 Volaris - Ultra low cost airline with the cheapest flight deals-Volaris.png - 118kB 2019-01-03 Volaris.png - 79kB

2019-01-04 Volaris - No Flights from TJ-SD-CBX.png - 47kB

JZ - 1-3-2019 at 05:23 PM

Just book TJ as departure and walk across the CBX. You can buy passes at the CBX or on the Volaris site.

Very easy. My wife and daughter even did it once to meet us.

[Edited on 1-4-2019 by JZ]

Alm - 1-3-2019 at 07:14 PM

I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX). What's the difference?

None, from passenger's perspective. Book from TJ.

Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

Yes. It's a toll bridge, you walk.

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja

Yes. You walk from the US side to TJ side.

There is no nightmare. Book the flight, book CBX pass, walk.

Bajaboy - 1-3-2019 at 07:17 PM

I like to pay in pesos. I avoid the fee Volaris charges and my credit card doesn't charge me an international fee.

sancho - 1-4-2019 at 01:07 PM

Not that this part of your ?, along with the bridge crossing
fee, there is a parking fee, what I've seen, cheapest is $12 day
to $25. And a tourist card at $25 ish

wilderone - 1-5-2019 at 10:02 AM

So to avoid the CBX bridge fee, the cost to get to the CBX crossing in Otay (board downtown San Diego), and/or parking fees, you can pack light, and walk across at the San Ysidro border, then take a taxi to the airport. Not much surf in Loreto. Pack fishing poles in hard case.

BornFisher - 1-5-2019 at 11:15 AM

Just book TJ as departure and walk across the CBX. You can buy passes at the CBX or on the Volaris site.

Very easy. My wife and daughter even did it once to meet us.

I thought you couldn`t cross northbound without a boarding pass.

[Edited on 1-4-2019 by JZ]

JZ - 1-5-2019 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  

I thought you couldn`t cross northbound without a boarding pass.

[/rquote]

I don't follow your question exactly, but once you fly into the TJ airport you have access to CBX.

Obviously, you can't just walk into the airport and use CBX.

JZ - 1-5-2019 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
So to avoid the CBX bridge fee, the cost to get to the CBX crossing in Otay (board downtown San Diego), and/or parking fees, you can pack light, and walk across at the San Ysidro border, then take a taxi to the airport. Not much surf in Loreto. Pack fishing poles in hard case.

This is being pretty cheap and not sure it would really save much money anyway. Waste time going South, but not too bad.

Coming North, forget about it. CBX saves hours. You clear customs in 2 mins sometimes.

wilderone - 1-5-2019 at 04:24 PM

Si, pero he needs to know all his options (given: "It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja...but not having been there, I don't know the lay of the land.") I agree crossing at Otay when returning to USA from TJ airport is faster, but then you're stuck out in Otay (Uber back to ??) So clarifying Tijuana, Otay, CBX bridge, San Ysidro, TJ terminal (airport) is necessary.

geronimo21 - 1-7-2019 at 12:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I see the option to book flights to Loreto from TJ, but not from TJ-San Diego (CBX). What's the difference?

None, from passenger's perspective. Book from TJ.

Can one get to the TJ terminal from the CBX?

Yes. It's a toll bridge, you walk.

It sounds like the TJ-SD (CBX) is all on the U.S. side and the TJ terminal is in Baja

Yes. You walk from the US side to TJ side.

There is no nightmare. Book the flight, book CBX pass, walk.

Thanks, Alm. In addition to your responses being very helpful, they gave me a good chuckle. I'm overthinking it. I get it! :lol:

geronimo21 - 1-7-2019 at 12:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Not that this part of your ?, along with the bridge crossing
fee, there is a parking fee, what I've seen, cheapest is $12 day
to $25. And a tourist card at $25 ish

Thanks for the heads up, Sancho.

geronimo21 - 1-7-2019 at 12:45 AM

[EDIT: I just read the exchange b/t wilderone and jz on this topic after writing what's below. Thanks for the clarification.]

Thanks for your suggestions, wilderone. Your post does raise a question...:?:

How far apart are the San Ysidro and Otay crossings and how much can one save (time/money) by taking a taxi from Ysidro?

I've read in other posts about taking a Greyhound from wherever that goes right to the terminal...there were a couple of other suggestions like taking a shuttle from d/t SD and that remote truck parking lot...but it sounds like your taxi suggestion or Greyhound might be best.

I've heard Loreto is pretty flat, but that there may be surf on the Pacific side at a place nobody knows about.;)

Thanks for the tip on the hard case...I've got a pvc tube...hope that'll work.

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by geronimo21]

geronimo21 - 1-7-2019 at 01:12 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I just saw them tonight when I checked back in. I didn't think I had to subscribe to my own post to get notified of responses. Or maybe I didn't check a "get notified" box when I posted.

In any event, the responses were very helpful.

I've read there may be some other ways of connecting to the TJ airport...like Greyhound, Volaris and CBX shuttle, but I need to do a bit more research on those options. I'm looking to avoid paying a daily parking fee for 1-2 weeks while in Baja.

I might be able to park for free at a friend's house in OC or SD...so maybe Greyhound could be can option.

Just going to post this link to another thread on here for future reference. It seems to have so good info on transpo options:

TJ Airport Transpo Thread

Thanks again to all for your advice.

wilderone - 1-7-2019 at 10:37 AM

So you're driving into the San Diego area? (What's OC?)
If you're flying Volaris, they do have the add-on CBX bridge ticket offered. They have a pick-up point in downtown San Diego (so you'd need to meet that shuttle). See how much that shuttle costs; the bridge fee is about $15 OW. Using a shuttle to the CBX bridge at the Otay crossing would be the easiest way to get to TJ airport, but is probably the most expensive. Logistically, you will need to decide if it makes sense.
I have taken Greyhound to the TJ airport from their last SD "station" (a weird trailer across the street from one of the trolley stops in downtown SD - it was $12 a few years ago). The Greyhound bus USED TO go all the way to the airport, but now it stops at the San Ysidro border and you are directed to another smaller collectivo (no extra charge), that will cross into TJ, which then picks up a few other passengers going to various places - the airport was to be the last stop among the passengers' destinations. The waiting, the pick-up/drop-off took about 1 1/2 hrs. - it made me frantic thinking that I might miss my flight. I won't do that again. You can walk across and get in a taxi in about 1/2 hr.
San Ysidro and Otay crossings are about 10 miles apart - Otay is about 15 mi. from downtown SD. A trolley goes to the San Ysidro border crossing for $$2.25. You walk a bit to cross, acquiring your tourist visa en route, but then just take a taxi to the airport (about $8-10) - drops you off right in front.
Returning from your trip and crossing into US from San Ysidro is a bit more problematical, as the pedestrian line at San Ysidro can be a wait up to 1 1/2 hrs. There are options - the Greyhound bus (I think $7 USD paid in pesos only), boards at TJ central bus terminal close to the airport) - at least you can sit on the bus with air conditioning while you wait, and once your busload gets to US customs, you can take the trolley faster than waiting for your connector bus on the US side to continue to the Greyhound station (you'd be paying for a trolley ticket anyway unless somebody picks you up at the SD Greyhound station).
Transportation to the San Ysidro pedestrian line from the airport has a few options as well: shared van, taxi, public bus (very cheap like $0.50 cents - - gets you to Revolution Ave. or a little closer - then $5 taxi to end of pedestrian line). If you have a CBX bridge ticket offered through your Volaris ticket purchase, you are about 15 miles from downtown San Diego at this point, and will need to figure out how to get to wherever it is you want to go. Not many options here.
I travel light and just suck up the 1-2 hrs. at the pedestrian line, take the trolley, then a bus to my house, walk two blocks home. It takes a long time, but it's manageable, and with senior fares (!) costs me $2.35. I tell an airport taxi driver that I will pay $10 to the border. They will want more - I tell them I will pay $10 - take it or leave it. The factors that come into play for your decisions are where you're coming from, where your car is and the costs involved. Always give yourself plenty of extra time to get to the airport to avoid a worrisome time crunch.

Options...and more options.

geronimo21 - 1-8-2019 at 04:18 AM

So you're driving into the San Diego area? (What's OC?)
If you're flying Volaris, they do have the add-on CBX bridge ticket offered. They have a pick-up point in downtown San Diego (so you'd need to meet that shuttle). See how much that shuttle costs; the bridge fee is about $15 OW. Using a shuttle to the CBX bridge at the Otay crossing would be the easiest way to get to TJ airport, but is probably the most expensive. Logistically, you will need to decide if it makes sense.
I have taken Greyhound to the TJ airport from their last SD "station" (a weird trailer across the street from one of the trolley stops in downtown SD - it was $12 a few years ago). The Greyhound bus USED TO go all the way to the airport, but now it stops at the San Ysidro border and you are directed to another smaller collectivo (no extra charge), that will cross into TJ, which then picks up a few other passengers going to various places - the airport was to be the last stop among the passengers' destinations. The waiting, the pick-up/drop-off took about 1 1/2 hrs. - it made me frantic thinking that I might miss my flight. I won't do that again. You can walk across and get in a taxi in about 1/2 hr.
San Ysidro and Otay crossings are about 10 miles apart - Otay is about 15 mi. from downtown SD. A trolley goes to the San Ysidro border crossing for $$2.25. You walk a bit to cross, acquiring your tourist visa en route, but then just take a taxi to the airport (about $8-10) - drops you off right in front.
Returning from your trip and crossing into US from San Ysidro is a bit more problematical, as the pedestrian line at San Ysidro can be a wait up to 1 1/2 hrs. There are options - the Greyhound bus (I think $7 USD paid in pesos only), boards at TJ central bus terminal close to the airport) - at least you can sit on the bus with air conditioning while you wait, and once your busload gets to US customs, you can take the trolley faster than waiting for your connector bus on the US side to continue to the Greyhound station (you'd be paying for a trolley ticket anyway unless somebody picks you up at the SD Greyhound station).
Transportation to the San Ysidro pedestrian line from the airport has a few options as well: shared van, taxi, public bus (very cheap like $0.50 cents - - gets you to Revolution Ave. or a little closer - then $5 taxi to end of pedestrian line). If you have a CBX bridge ticket offered through your Volaris ticket purchase, you are about 15 miles from downtown San Diego at this point, and will need to figure out how to get to wherever it is you want to go. Not many options here.
I travel light and just suck up the 1-2 hrs. at the pedestrian line, take the trolley, then a bus to my house, walk two blocks home. It takes a long time, but it's manageable, and with senior fares (!) costs me $2.35. I tell an airport taxi driver that I will pay $10 to the border. They will want more - I tell them I will pay $10 - take it or leave it. The factors that come into play for your decisions are where you're coming from, where your car is and the costs involved. Always give yourself plenty of extra time to get to the airport to avoid a worrisome time crunch.

wilderone, clearly, this ain't your first rodeo...Yes, we'll be driving to SD or Orange County (OC)...Don't have that dialed in just yet. Depends on where we can get free, secure parking for our truck (and friends' vehicles...if others come along).

To be honest, my head was swimming trying to make sense of all the options, different border crossings, taxi, shuttle and bus options...If I was going by myself (and didn't have a surfboard and fishing gear), I'd go for the adventure. But, I'm going to be traveling with folks who won't have a lot of patience for all that. They like things simple. So, CBX sounds like it may be the way to go. Maybe one shuttle from d/t SD and walk across.

Sounds like CBX may be the easiest, most direct way? Shortest walk to terminal...fastest? Sounds like, unless one knows where they are going, the other options may present more problems than are worth the reduced cost...

I'm still looking for the cost of the shuttle to CBX from d/t SD..., but here's a link (for other noobs that may come along) that explains the CBX crossing. It has pictures and explanations...so that's helpful. It is a bit dated (from 2016) so some things may have changed (some of these changes are reflected in the comments post-article).

CBX Explanation with Pictures!

One other question:

Do you print out your FMM before you cross?

I see a website where this can be done. If crossing the CBX, would one fill out the Terrestre (By Land) or Aerea (By Air) FMM form? Just looking to streamline the whole process ahead of time.

Link for FMM

Thanks for the heads up on the Greyhound no longer going directly to the TJ airport. I think that effectively cancels out that option.

danaeb - 1-8-2019 at 08:25 AM

Yes on printing the FMM. Be sure you select the "By Land" option and the "Conexcion peatonal aeroportuario Tijuana" as your port of entry. You must also print the receipt for the FMM credit card payment.

When you enter the CBX lobby, you'll see the rope line where you enter the bridge. Have the following documents in hand: passport, boarding pass and CBX ticket. Follow the other people over the bridge. When you are on the other side, you'll need your passport, FMM and FMM payment receipt to present to INM. Once through INM, you'l see a Volaris check-in desk on the other side of the glass doors. If the desk is not open, you'll be directed to the main lobby of the airport where you will go to the other end of the lobby to the main check-in desks.

JZ - 1-8-2019 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geronimo21  

To be honest, my head was swimming trying to make sense of all the options, different border crossings, taxi, shuttle and bus options...If I was going by myself (and didn't have a surfboard and fishing gear), I'd go for the adventure. But, I'm going to be traveling with folks who won't have a lot of patience for all that. They like things simple. So, CBX sounds like it may be the way to go. Maybe one shuttle from d/t SD and walk across.

Sounds like CBX may be the easiest, most direct way? Shortest walk to terminal...fastest? Sounds like, unless one knows where they are going, the other options may present more problems than are worth the reduced cost...

CBX is 10x easier than any other way. 2nd place isn't remotely close. Anyone who knows the good old days before CBX will tell you that. Trying to save a few pesos going any other way is nuts.

wilderone - 1-8-2019 at 10:03 AM

You might want to consider a cheap parking lot near CBX instead of paying per-person to get there and then per-person when departing.

JZ - 1-8-2019 at 10:30 AM

Get an Uber or Lyft XL. Split it between the guys traveling. Much better than a shuttle.

Leaving CBX you can get one in 2 mins.

Alm - 1-8-2019 at 12:51 PM

Volaris posted a notice that they no longer offer shuttle service from San Diego to Tijuana airport, and encourage people to use CBX bridge instead.

You can still take Uber or shuttle from SD to CBX. Shuttle is called Passport Bus, service is a so-so, I would rather take Uber.

Alm - 1-8-2019 at 01:34 PM

I agree crossing at Otay when returning to USA from TJ airport is faster, but then you're stuck out in Otay (Uber back to ??) So clarifying Tijuana, Otay, CBX bridge, San Ysidro, TJ terminal (airport) is necessary.

Fair enough.

Otay = ground crossing "near" the airport. I don't recall any shuttles on the US side at Otay.

CBX = crossborder bridge straight to TJ airport. There are shuttles to and from CBX, on the US side. You can use CBX to walk North but only within 2 hours after arrival - keep your boarding pass.

San Ysidro - ground crossing some 10 miles from CBX. Plenty of transportation from SD to SY. For me there is no incentive to choose Otay pedestrian over SY because I can now cross SY-ped in under 10 minutes. It's called Nexus card (Canadian version of Sentri), works as pedestrian Sentri.

geronimo21 - 1-9-2019 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by danaeb  
Yes on printing the FMM. Be sure you select the "By Land" option and the "Conexcion peatonal aeroportuario Tijuana" as your port of entry. You must also print the receipt for the FMM credit card payment.

When you enter the CBX lobby, you'll see the rope line where you enter the bridge. Have the following documents in hand: passport, boarding pass and CBX ticket. Follow the other people over the bridge. When you are on the other side, you'll need your passport, FMM and FMM payment receipt to present to INM. Once through INM, you'l see a Volaris check-in desk on the other side of the glass doors. If the desk is not open, you'll be directed to the main lobby of the airport where you will go to the other end of the lobby to the main check-in desks.

danaeb, Thank you for the detailed instructions! :yes:

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by geronimo21]

geronimo21 - 1-9-2019 at 01:49 PM

JZ, wilderone and Alm, Thanks for the tips. All good. :D

Alm - 1-9-2019 at 02:34 PM

If yo are are flying back to TJ as well, - you don't need Otay or San Ysidro. Walk CBX North and take an Uber or Passport Bus on the US side. Passport Buses are used mostly by local Mexo-Americans and take a lot of luggage. Cheaper than Uber, schedule is a big unknown, this is an option when you are not in a hurry.

I believe CBX pass can be purchased 2-way, so you won't need to buy it when landing in TJ.

Alm - 1-9-2019 at 02:45 PM

Oh yeah, and there is also CBX shuttle to/from San Diego: https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/. Some competition to Passport Bus.

Uber, Lyft XL, Passport or CBX Shuttle...

geronimo21 - 1-10-2019 at 01:27 AM

Thank you for listing the available options.

Which mode of transportation would best accommodate a surfboard (8' to 9'6") and fishing gear?

wilderone - 1-10-2019 at 09:15 AM

Should re-think the surfboard - size restriction is 110" total (LxWxD). Extra baggage fee, places to use it. Airline takes no responsibility for damage. You're flying to Loreto then traveling to distant beach to surf? Fly into La Paz or Cabo - closer to Pacific Ocean. Then renting one car for your group with surfboards? Maybe you all should split the cost of an upgraded rental car and drive from San Diego.
OK - cheap airfare, but with added costs before boarding, is about twice the airfare (same consideration on return trip). Maybe $12-15 cost to get to CBX bridge; $12.50 bridge fee; extra baggage charge for surfboard; extra oversize baggage fee for fishing poles. If you're going to spend the money to rent a car once you get there anyway, you might get a better rental car deal on the US side - plenty of surf and fishing spots en route to Loreto (if you go that far). You wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight to Loreto - but as you can see, logistics might cancel out any perception of savings. How important is the Loreto destination?
Just a thought.

On Rethinking Surfboard, Plane, etc...

geronimo21 - 1-11-2019 at 01:22 AM

wilderone, I appreciate your assessment, but do think that JZ's comment below sums it up...it takes so much less time to fly even though there may be more logistics involved in some respects.

You have given me some things to consider, though. I don't think most folks in our party would be up for the drive - even in an upgraded rental vehicle.

I, personally, would prefer to drive our truck with my gear and make stops at various places along the way. However, most (if not all) of the people I am traveling with do not surf and are not really into fishing. They will just want to get down there as easily as possible and hang out.

So, I'll likely be the only one incurring extra charges. Even with the extra charges, Volaris still seems like a good deal and a better deal for my fellow travelers who won't be incurring the extra charges. I'm still crunching numbers, though, and travel time is a factor (1.5 hours vs. 2-3 days each way).

My compadres would probably just be content hanging around the pool, wandering the town, taking a few little side trips/excursions. I'm the one that's into fishing and surfing...and fisherman and surfers sometimes go to what others may consider unreasonable lengths to achieve their goals! It's a fine line between getting to do the things I love to do and not burdening my fellow travelers with my fishing and surfing agenda. Ideally, I'd be going with people that have the same interests as me...and maybe some will join our little party before we head down.

How important is the Loreto destination? Good question. I've always wanted to check it out. Fellow travelers (except for my wife) and I have been to Cabo. Kind of want to check somewhere else out. I like the idea that it's population is around 15,000 vs. 150,000 for La Paz.

With that said, though, we are seriously considering La Paz as well as there is some property closer to there that we'd like to check out. And, as you say, it's closer to the Pacific with potentially more surfing spots in range with more open swell windows. We might have to make more than one trip down...One to Loreto and one to La Paz. :light:

I realize it's a gamble to take a board down hoping to sync up with the right swell. I am taking all those factors into consideration (including needing to buy and bring my own soft surfboard racks for the rental vehicle!).

I'll check the surf forecast prior to departure to figure out if it's even worth taking a board down. Volaris has an 8'2" board max limit. So, my 9'6" won't make it. My cousin is a pilot for Alaska Airlines and might be able to get my board down there. Their limit is 9'5" and change. I don't know if he can do it as I haven't asked him, yet, but figure if anyone can do it, he can. He surfs also, so will understand. He might even go with us. I invited him, but haven't had a chance to talk more about it.

So, the bottom line is, I'd like to drive my own truck, with my board racks, fishing rods, tackle, etc...and avoid lugging that chit on a plane, dealing with rental cars (currently researching costs), etc., but not sure that's going to be feasible with the company I'm traveling with. I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

I've even thought about driving down and meeting them there, but we have a Tacoma access cab which is really only comfortable for two people. The back seats aren't very comfortable. So, if I did drive down, we have a truck only good for two out of the four people currently going.

I actually think the hardest part logistics-wise is timing the accommodations to match a potential swell. No way to predict that. How do I book a place in Loreto and then book a place on the Pacific side to coincide with a swell? That's a crap shoot and I haven't figured that one out. Maybe just a roll of the dice and hope to get lucky...or study swell charts to increase odds...that's the thing about waves and fish as we all know...they don't always show up on our schedule!

I do appreciate the different analysis and perspective. Thanks to all for taking an interest in helping us with our trip. Your perspectives are much appreciated. :yes:

JZ - 1-11-2019 at 10:10 AM

Should re-think the surfboard - size restriction is 110" total (LxWxD). Extra baggage fee, places to use it. Airline takes no responsibility for damage. You're flying to Loreto then traveling to distant beach to surf? Fly into La Paz or Cabo - closer to Pacific Ocean. Then renting one car for your group with surfboards? Maybe you all should split the cost of an upgraded rental car and drive from San Diego.
OK - cheap airfare, but with added costs before boarding, is about twice the airfare (same consideration on return trip). Maybe $12-15 cost to get to CBX bridge; $12.50 bridge fee; extra baggage charge for surfboard; extra oversize baggage fee for fishing poles. If you're going to spend the money to rent a car once you get there anyway, you might get a better rental car deal on the US side - plenty of surf and fishing spots en route to Loreto (if you go that far). You wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight to Loreto - but as you can see, logistics might cancel out any perception of savings. How important is the Loreto destination?
Just a thought.

Lol. You left out the part that the plane makes it there in 1.5hr and it takes 3 days to drive it... each way.

Ppl take surf boards and fishing poles on planes hundreds of times every day.

wilderone - 1-11-2019 at 11:14 AM

JZ - you left out all qualifying considerations.

Surfboard...

geronimo21 - 1-11-2019 at 10:43 PM

Oh, and I have considered how surfboards might be handled on a plane. It certainly is a concern. I have a decent board bag and would plan to wrap the chit out of it with bubble wrap...

As far as traveling to a distant place from Loreto to surf...I am thinking of making a side trip for 2-3 days so it's not a 7 hour roundtrip in a day...be able to take in the sights and sounds of a different place in the same vicinity...obviously a bit more complicated logistics-wise and wouldn't really be worth it if no surf. So, definitely a gamble there...

On another note, airfare from LAX to Loreto on Alaska is quite a bit more expensive...it's worse from Phoenix and takes about a day to get there with all the layovers and connections...

Alaska LAX to Loreto.jpg - 93kB

JZ - 1-11-2019 at 11:37 PM

LA to Loreto per person round trip for $350 is pretty damn good.

You can get it for $250 per person some times.

geronimo21 - 1-12-2019 at 12:11 AM

LA to Loreto per person round trip for $350 is pretty damn good.

You can get it for $250 per person some times.

$375 pp/rt was about a cheap as I could find on Alaska. That was picking dates with the lowest fares.

Found about $75 pp/rt on Volaris, but would have to add CBX, FMM and extra baggage fees to that I suppose. Not sure if I'd need to add FMM cost if flying on Alaska.

Do they include that in the cost of the plane ticket?

Might have to do a quick apples to apples cost-comparision spreadsheet.

I figure there will be transportation/parking costs to the airport whether flying Alaska out of LA or Volaris out of TJ so I don't think I'd include that in the analysis.

Benefit to flying Alaska?

a.) I'd be able to bring my 9'6" and not have to work out logistics of my cousin getting it down there separately. :light:;

b.) Nicer planes/service?

c.) ?

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by geronimo21]

Taxes, taxes and...more taxes?

geronimo21 - 1-12-2019 at 03:30 AM

OK, just crunched some numbers...as close as I could get to apples to apples.

See attached excel spreadsheet for details...:!:

There are some potential wildcards in play....but bottom line is for two people R/T:

Volaris = $262.31

Alaska Airlines = $818.30

Savings with Volaris: $555.99

For four people...that'll save over $1100...can put that into rental car, trip to islands, food, accommodations...

Pretty hard to pass up those savings.

Airfare Comparison50.png - 59kB

wilderone - 1-12-2019 at 06:15 AM

You're going to surf Scorpion Bay? There's a hotel there that might have long boards to lend. Check it out.

Surfboards and CBX...

geronimo21 - 1-13-2019 at 12:35 AM

You're going to surf Scorpion Bay? There's a hotel there that might have long boards to lend. Check it out.

Thank you for your suggestion.

A couple of recent posters (on here or Talk Baja) mentioned the boards were "slim pickins" down there last time they went. But, I could always call the hotel and get a direct update...

I just saw an announcement that CBX fees will be waived for those flying to Loreto March through May this year...More savings. 👍

JZ - 1-13-2019 at 01:16 AM

$375 pp/rt was about a cheap as I could find on Alaska. That was picking dates with the lowest fares.

Found about $75 pp/rt on Volaris, but would have to add CBX, FMM and extra baggage fees to that I suppose. Not sure if I'd need to add FMM cost if flying on Alaska.

Do they include that in the cost of the plane ticket?

Might have to do a quick apples to apples cost-comparision spreadsheet.

I figure there will be transportation/parking costs to the airport whether flying Alaska out of LA or Volaris out of TJ so I don't think I'd include that in the analysis.

Benefit to flying Alaska? I'd be able to bring my 9'6" and not have to work out logistics of my cousin getting it down there separately. :light:

Alaska is from LA. Volaris is from TJ.

I live in LA and have 3 kids that we travel with to Baja and Sonora. Trust me, we've gone back and forth on what is better. We do both routes. Kinda depends on how many are traveling with and how much time you have.

FMM is included in the price of the ticket for flights from the US.

JZ - 1-13-2019 at 01:19 AM

Scorpion Bay hotel is not cheap. It's pretty nice, but it will cost you $150 a night.

joerover - 1-13-2019 at 05:10 PM

How far apart are the San Ysidro and Otay crossings and how much can one save (time/money) by taking a taxi from Ysidro?

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by geronimo21]

The bridge is 15 usd,
the bus is 15 mxn pesos, San Ysidro to airport,
The taxi is 15 usd, I asked, they answered $20, ok $10, why do they call hem axi bandidos?
Otey is walking distance, less than 2 miles?
11 pesos for a busSan Ysidro to Tj Airport, micro bandido is 15 pesos.

joerover - 1-13-2019 at 05:34 PM

Mar 5, return mar 30. $135 includes more bags and a bicycle, $85 for 1 22 pound carry on.

Before I click, what was that thread about the weather? Would march be to hot way down there? Did you say the creek is no longer dry? So i can collect water on my bicycle route?

[Edited on 1-14-2019 by joerover]

geronimo21 - 1-13-2019 at 06:00 PM

Alaska is from LA. Volaris is from TJ.

I live in LA and have 3 kids that we travel with to Baja and Sonora. Trust me, we've gone back and forth on what is better. We do both routes. Kinda depends on how many are traveling with and how much time you have.

FMM is included in the price of the ticket for flights from the US.

10-4, JZ. My wife and I will be coming from Phoenix, our friends from Vegas and Barstow...So, not sure that it matters LA vs. TJ for us, but L.A. might be closer for them...so it will likely depend on whether it's important for them to save some extra coins by driving further to SD/TJ for the flight vs. convenience of flying out of L.A....

I've flown Alaska before a long time ago and I remember the level of service was outstanding. I'm assuming it's still that way.

Can you comment how Volaris compares in that regard? What type of planes will they use for that route to Loreto? I'm assuming jet of some kind...

[Edited on 1-14-2019 by geronimo21]

JZ - 1-13-2019 at 06:21 PM

Volaris planes are pretty new. The flight is short, so it really doesn't matter that much.

I like flying Alaska back from Loreto because most times you can pay $50 at the counter and get upgraded to 1st class.

Pro-tip, when flying direct from the US to MX you want to be at the front of the plane. It will save you a minimum of 45mins clearing customs compared to sitting in the back. Not as big of a deal when flying intra Mexico.

[Edited on 1-14-2019 by JZ]

Mexican Rental cars and Insurance

geronimo21 - 1-13-2019 at 06:52 PM

We're also looking into renting a vehicle while in Loreto/La Paz...

There's a thread over on Talk Baja with some pretty good suggestions.

Some are to check with your credit card company and find out if they cover collision and look into purchasing liability from a company other the rental company.

BajaBound does not offer a program to insure Mexican rental vehicles, but they suggested Sanborn's.

Someone on Talk Baja recommended renting vehicles through Luis Cesena. Apparently, he is a manager at Mex Rentacar located in TJ (?) and can rent vehicles for you anywhere in Baja "with no hidden crap" (according to the referrer). His e-mail is Luis Cesena

From Lewis & Lewis: "The Liability Only Driver’s License premium for a Mexican registered vehicle is $129.97 per license per month, no collision/fire or theft.

In order to provide an accurate quotation for the tourist vehicle, please reply to this email with a value

As each vehicle must have its own policy, the insurance coverage cannot be combined."

I hope this information helps.

geronimo21 - 1-13-2019 at 06:57 PM

Volaris planes are pretty new. The flight is short, so it really doesn't matter that much.

I like flying Alaska back from Loreto because most times you can pay $50 at the counter and get upgraded to 1st class.

Pro-tip, when flying direct from the US to MX you want to be at the front of the plane. It will save you a minimum of 45mins clearing customs compared to sitting in the back. Not as big of a deal when flying intra Mexico.

[Edited on 1-14-2019 by JZ]

Thanks for the pro tips, JZ.

wilderone - 1-13-2019 at 07:30 PM

What would be the advantage of getting rental car insurance from some place other than through the rental car company? I've never found rates to be unusually high. These seem reasonable - note liability ins. included; unlimited mileage included. You can make a reservation online.

https://www.expedia.com/carsearch?dagv=1&subm=1&fdrp...

geronimo21 - 1-15-2019 at 01:13 AM

What would be the advantage of getting rental car insurance from some place other than through the rental car company? I've never found rates to be unusually high. These seem reasonable - note liability ins. included; unlimited mileage included. You can make a reservation online.

https://www.expedia.com/carsearch?dagv=1&subm=1&fdrp...

This should probably be its own separate thread...but since we're already going...:D

What would be the advantage of getting rental car insurance from some place other than through the rental car company?

It seems many people have experienced being overcharged. They book online for one price, get to the counter and are presented with a much higher price. Or, they buy insurance from the rental company online, get to the counter and are told they can't use it.

You can read about it on this thread from Talk Baja

It sounds like some people did not feel hosed, but many did.

Not all liability coverages are the same. Probably best to check what policy limits are being offered.

From Sanborn's: "Third Party Liability provided by the rental car company is, in most cases, null or minimal leaving you with great exposure and risk to be held liable for damages to others and their property. Legal aid and bond will be an additional expense. Check with the rental car company to see what limits they offer and at what cost, so you can compare to the policy we offer."

Apparently, some credit card companies cover collision or it can also be obtained through rentalcover.com. Rentalcover.com's collision insurance is $60 for five days ($12/day) of coverage up to $35,000.

One poster on Talk Baja said he was able to get two weeks of liability through Lewis & Lewis for about $88. L&L quoted me around $129 for a month. Now that I think about it, L&L didn't specify what coverage levels they offer for that premium.

I'm not sure if they offer a two week policy anymore. I have an e-mail into them and am waiting for a response. I'm going to get a quote from Sanborn's, also.

L&L are underwriters for Qualitas. Sanborn's underwrites for HDI Seguros.

It seems that it may be advantageous to get outside insurance if the rental period will be for a longer period of time. For example, if liability insurance through the rental company is $17/day, that would add up to $510 per month whereas L&L offers it for $129 for the same period - a savings of $381. Most people probably don't rent for a month, so I guess it might be worth it to find the "break even" point for length of rentals.

I'm glad you have found the rates reasonable. I'm still doing my research.

wilderone - 1-15-2019 at 06:19 AM

"... being overcharged. They book online for one price, get to the counter and are presented with a much higher price."
So push back - it's negotiable. Has never happened to me. Besides, if you're at an airport location, and there are 5 rental car companies lined up, you just walk away and find another. In the old days, I would make reservations with two companies, so if I got any kind of flak from one, I'd be able to have a Plan B. Only in Hawaii did I resort to that tactic.

"Or, they buy insurance from the rental company online, get to the counter and are told they can't use it."
I think that would be impossible, since that insurance is what the rental company offers and is contractually bound to honor.

Aren't you splitting costs anyway? Sometimes rental companies offer a very low daily rental, and insurance is like $22-$30/day. In Cancun you can often rent a car for $5-$9/day. Too, some companies have a "prepay" rate - lower than making a reservation and paying upon arrival. The terms are pretty clear -- offer is made, agreement to same, all documented, printed out.
Legal aid and bond is always included in the basic liability coverage (with a specific dollar amount).
Re: "It will save you a minimum of 45mins clearing customs compared to sitting in the back." Nonsense - You have to pick up your baggage first - everybody waits regardless of where your seat on the plane was unless you only have carry-on and you can proceed directly to customs.

rhintransit - 1-15-2019 at 09:00 AM

The question is Volaris to Loreto, with Alaska from Los Angeles on the side. A better answer is Calafia to Loreto, at least on the transparent cost side.
I’ve flown Calafia many many times since they established their TJ-Loreto route. I hope Volaris provides healthy competition rather than a threat to their continued operation, but am concerned.
Personally, I would never chose to fly Volaris if I could help it...one experience on another route was enough.

JZ - 1-15-2019 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

Personally, I would never chose to fly Volaris if I could help it...one experience on another route was enough.

I've flown Calafia several times. I like them. Particularly because they have direct flights Guaymas to Loreto. Into TJ they fly those small 3 seat per row jets that I'm guessing they bought from Aero Mexico after they stopped some routes.

But this comment on Volaris is just a horrible take. They are a good airline. They have newer planes than Calafia. You can have one bad experience on any airline.

JZ - 1-15-2019 at 11:03 AM

Re: "It will save you a minimum of 45mins clearing customs compared to sitting in the back." Nonsense - You have to pick up your baggage first - everybody waits regardless of where your seat on the plane was unless you only have carry-on and you can proceed directly to customs.

Maybe I should have said immigration instead of customs. The first thing you have to do getting off the plane is go through immigration, and it's much better to be 1st than 150th. You might have to wait a little to get your bag, but there is still 75+ ppl that haven't gotten their passport stamped yet by the time you get it.

I always carry on. So I'm at the hotel drinking a beer while you are still dicking around at the airport.

[Edited on 1-15-2019 by JZ]

geronimo21 - 1-16-2019 at 11:18 PM

Lewis & Lewis got back to me.

One month policy only.

Liability Only For Mexican plated rented vehicles

Bodily Injury/Property Damage - $500,000 US

Medical - $10,000 Per person / $50,000 Per accident

$100,000 - Legal Service for Bail Bond/Attorney / Criminal and Civil Defense

Bob and Susan - 1-17-2019 at 05:46 AM

how much?

and more important

will the rental company allow you to insure this way?
have you contacted them and is it in writing?

it would be bad to find out at the rental company in mexico that the company requires that yo use THEIR insurance provider

JZ - 1-17-2019 at 10:35 AM

I've always gone through the rental companies to get insurance. Never had a problem.

Use rentalcars.com to find the best rates. Sometimes you can reserve w/o having to give a CC (maybe not for MX). Great deals can often be found right at the counter, with pretty big discounts. But you might not want to rely on that unless you can tell from you searches that there is likely to be tons of availability, or better, can reserve something that can be cancelled.

Another pro tip, rent a 4x4 Jeep. Lots more fun in Baja.

[Edited on 1-18-2019 by JZ]

geronimo21 - 1-17-2019 at 11:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
how much?

Prices listed further up thread...Haven't asked for a quote from Sanborn's...so don't know what they charge.

and more important

will the rental company allow you to insure this way?

Apparently, some will and some won't. Obviously, very prudent to get this sorted ahead of time.

have you contacted them and is it in writing?

Not personally, but others have.

it would be bad to find out at the rental company in mexico that the company requires that yo use THEIR insurance provider

Agreed.

geronimo21 - 1-17-2019 at 11:53 PM

I've always gone through the rental companies to get insurance. Never had a problem.

Use rentalcars.com to find best the rates. Sometimes you can reserve w/o having to give a CC (maybe not for MX). Great deals can often be found right at the counter, with pretty big discounts. But you might not want to rely on that unless you can tell from you searches that there is likely to be tons of availability, or better, can reserve something that can be cancelled.

Another pro tip, rent a 4x4 Jeep. Lots more fun in Baja.

Thanks for the tips, JZ.

Alm - 1-18-2019 at 05:33 PM

Maybe I should have said immigration instead of customs. The first thing you have to do getting off the plane is go through immigration, and it's much better to be 1st than 150th. You might have to wait a little to get your bag, but there is still 75+ ppl that haven't gotten their passport stamped yet by the time you get it.

Oddly, when I flew LA to LTO (didn't do this in the last 5 years), it didn't matter. INM guy processed bodies very quickly, most people filled their FMM on the plane. Then it took half an hour to retrieve the luggage, and by that time everybody form the plane was already at the carousel. They were running smaller planes then, not 737.

JZ - 1-18-2019 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Oddly, when I flew LA to LTO (didn't do this in the last 5 years), it didn't matter. INM guy processed bodies very quickly, most people filled their FMM on the plane. Then it took half an hour to retrieve the luggage, and by that time everybody form the plane was already at the carousel. They were running smaller planes then, not 737.

Yeah, their existing planes hold 150 ppl and they are pretty full.