BajaNomad

Turista Motel, El Rosario

bajamary1952 - 1-3-2019 at 05:41 PM

I happened to find this motel as I was driving into El Rosario today. It s a simple Mexican motel on Hwy 1 on the outskirts of El Rosario. 450 pesos/night/person. Secure parking. Wi-fi. Pet-friendly. Warm showers. Very clean.

tourista motel.jpg - 74kB tourista motel.jpg - 74kB

KurtG - 1-3-2019 at 06:01 PM

I've stayed there several times. Rooms are comfortable and the ones I have stayed in had king size bed. Good value.

David K - 1-3-2019 at 06:29 PM

We stay there when Baja Cactus has no vacancy... It is El Rosario's second-best motel. There is also Ed Lusk's Bed & Breakfast, he has about 4 really nice rooms as well as a bar & restaurant... across the highway from Turista Motel.

Thanks for the report Mary. Good to know it is still doing well as the original owner had died and things often fall apart with the dynamo behind it.

Lee - 1-3-2019 at 07:16 PM

Stayed once because friends were staying there. It was depressing and won't stay again. Ed's is good and Cactus.

The distance is to close for me not to stay at Jardine's. I like walking home after dinner, too.

bajamary1952 - 1-4-2019 at 10:13 AM

Don't worry about occupation as this place was FULL last night by 9:00pm so someone is staying there. Not everyone desires to stay at higher-priced places while traveling here. The majority of accommodations in El Rosario cater to those who spend less time than those traveling for several months.

In Jan. 2009, Motel Turista was new...

David K - 1-4-2019 at 10:38 AM

thebajarunner - 1-4-2019 at 11:12 AM

Comfortable and convenient for a gang coming off a long stretch in the wilds
No one ever bothered our gear in our trucks in front of the rooms
And they had hot coffee for us in the morning
Inexpensive
What is not to like?

elfbrewery - 1-4-2019 at 02:15 PM

Stayed there in April 2008. It was the first building in town heading north. I remember it was good value for money and my log reads
April 8, 2008 one rooster crow after 5a.m. -- that's all! 142 bumps in El Rosario

It's nice to remember these things...

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2019 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
We stay there when Baja Cactus has no vacancy...

We just stayed at Baja Cactus 2 nights ago and were really disappointed. The heating system didn't work at all. The night was in the mid 40's so we had to deal with same temperature inside. Talked to the management and they couldn't fix the problem. The heater kept blowing out the fuse so they just gave up trying.

I would confirm that Turista has good heating and stay there if that's the case. i don't care about any of the other amenities Baja Cactus has if your heating system doesn't work.

This isn't the first time with this issue. i'll not be staying at Baja Cactus again during the colder months.

David K - 1-5-2019 at 07:54 AM

A few months ago, Antonio's father passed away after a battle with cancer. His email to me that day was the last I had heard from him and I have tried to reach him since, more than once.

I presume Antonio was not there? What was the progress of the new restaurant construction? I may be in El Rosario next month and will try to find out more. I was trying to make reservations there for a TV show crew I might be guiding.

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2019 at 08:15 AM

A few months ago, Antonio's father passed away after a battle with cancer. His email to me that day was the last I had heard from him and I have tried to reach him since, more than once.

I presume Antonio was not there? What was the progress of the new restaurant construction? I may be in El Rosario next month and will try to find out more. I was trying to make reservations there for a TV show crew I might be guiding.

I am sorry to hear about Antonio's father. I know what it's like to lose a dad.

I had no trouble making a reservation by telephone. They took it without a credit card number.

The restaurant looks like it's still in the early stages. The outside was cemented but not yet painted.

Email from Antonio

David K - 1-6-2019 at 01:28 AM

Here is the last part of today's email... it was great to finally hear from BajaCactus. I did hope he would get on Nomad and respond directly. Until he does, I thought it important to share this (the AC units are both heating and cooling devices):

"And thanks for the heads up with the heating in the rooms. All the AC's were serviced a couple of months ago to make sure they were ready for the winter season and all were reported fully functional. I have no reports of any failing. I will have my staff check them right away. Hugs for you and Liz!!! Antonio"

bajamary1952 - 1-6-2019 at 10:31 AM

One thing I've found that paying more money for motels/hotels doesn't guarantee they are better. The majority of places I've stayed during my 3 month tour around the Peninsula the cheaper places generally were better, i.e., better wi-fi, beds, etc.

Skipjack Joe - 1-6-2019 at 12:03 PM

"And thanks for the heads up with the heating in the rooms. All the AC's were serviced a couple of months ago to make sure they were ready for the winter season and all were reported fully functional. I have no reports of any failing. I will have my staff check them right away. Hugs for you and Liz!!! Antonio"

I wasn't lying.

advrider - 1-6-2019 at 12:21 PM

Anyone know how the water situation is in El Rosario? Did the cactus get the restaurant open yet?

Lee - 1-6-2019 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamary1952  
One thing I've found that paying more money for motels/hotels doesn't guarantee they are better. The majority of places I've stayed during my 3 month tour around the Peninsula the cheaper places generally were better, i.e., better wi-fi, beds, etc.

Curious as to what places you've stayed in 3 months that were cheaper and better.

You must have stayed in GN. Terra Sal is newest in town. I've stayed at Malarrinos, Caracole and Cowboy. Various rooms through the years at all theses places. Eventually, they felt depressing to me. Part of this is block construction which has never felt comfortable.

I travel with my own pillows, down comforter, and sheets. Never found MX sheets I like and pillows (Terra Sal) are ridiculous. When I stayed at Terra Sal a month ago, I said I would never sleep on their sheets again. To each their own.

David K - 1-6-2019 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

I wasn't lying.

I am sure you weren't Igor, this was more in a way to show maybe poor communication with the boss when he is in Tijuana?

Antonio emailed me back and said he would respond here soon. The office has portable heaters and extra blankets they are supposed to offer any guest who is in need... So, thanks to you and your report, an improvement can be made in the hospitality of the motel staff.

David K - 1-6-2019 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Anyone know how the water situation is in El Rosario? Did the cactus get the restaurant open yet?

With the draught well over (been raining almost every week since late November, here anyway) I hope the water table in the Rosario River Valley has returned so the wells are again pumping.

Antonio told me the restaurant building itself was to have been completed last November but with material shortages (El Rosario is far from the best supplies for quality materials) that part is delayed but should be done this month. The next phase is the interior furnishing of all that is required to have a quality restaurant. As many of you know, BajaCactus is a high-quality individual and he is willing to wait until it can be done correctly (and to follow codes and laws). You recall the nightmare he had with Pemex over getting the bathrooms remodeled at his gas station in El Rosario.

Anyway, I look forward to BajaCactus/ Antonio returning to Baja Nomad and communicating directly with us all.

Here is Antonio and I in 2016, when my new book was published, and I brought some to him to sell at the motel to raise money for his emergency rescue service, Halcones del Desierto (Desert Hawks) https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto

and with Baja Angel (Antonio came up with that handle for Elizabeth in 2005 to have on Baja Nomad)...

geronimo21 - 1-7-2019 at 01:50 AM

So, about $25 a night per person?

Skipjack Joe - 1-7-2019 at 03:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

I wasn't lying.

I am sure you weren't Igor, this was more in a way to show maybe poor communication with the boss when he is in Tijuana?

Antonio emailed me back and said he would respond here soon. The office has portable heaters and extra blankets they are supposed to offer any guest who is in need... So, thanks to you and your report, an improvement can be made in the hospitality of the motel staff.

Please tell him that a test of the heating system is not if it just comes on but if it stays on all night. For us it stayed on until temps reached 63 and then failed, plummeting the temperature back down. By then only the desk clerk was around who was incapable of handling the situation. She did offer a blanket but that's very different than having a warm room.

My sense is that because of the high ceilings it takes a lot of heat to keep those temps up or even raise them. As you know, the rooms are cavernous. The electric system may not be designed to draw that much energy, resulting in the fuse blowing out repeatedly.

To Antonio's defense, I don't think many hotels in Baja have reliable heating systems. I can't remember using one. Will try Las Jardines next time and compare.

David K - 1-7-2019 at 08:42 AM

Hi Igor, I understand and have additional details but am hoping Antonio responds directly. Upon further questioning of staff, two AC units were problematic and Antonio is having the service company fix them this week.
I have stayed there in cold weather and the heater worked all night so the problem you experienced was not normal (or acceptable). That the front desk didn't give you a portable heater was bad.
The ceiling fan (on low) pushes down the warm air from the high ceiling.
Thanks to you, it can only get better at Baja Cactus.