BajaNomad

Help on Trip to La Paz

MichaelNW - 1-7-2019 at 11:23 AM

Hi! New to group. We are travelling to La Paz next week. We will be leaving from Surprise AZ after a visit there (from Tumwater WA). I am looking for suggestion for the route to take, travel time (two of three days) and places to stay along the route that are reasonably wheelchair accessible. We are renting an apartment in La Paz for a month in anticipation of a possible move. Also looking for suggestions for things to do and places to eat a reasonable distance from La Paz. Thank You!

JZ - 1-7-2019 at 11:31 AM

For sure 3 days. If you want to do it right, take 4-5 days minimum. The drive down is the best part of Baja. You'll be cheating yourself greatly to rush down.

Places to stop: Gonzaga Bay, Bahia de Los Angeles, Mulege, Loreto.

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 1-7-2019 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I would add to this list: San Ignacio and Bahía Concepción

David K - 1-7-2019 at 11:37 AM

With only 2-3 days, there really isn't much choice for you. It will take all that time to just drive there without any sightseeing of the incredible things to see along the way!

Only one highway goes from the north to the southern state of Baja...
Mexico Hwy. 1.

You don't tell us what you are driving and if you are comfortable driving on unpaved detour roads or unfinished highway??? I ask because from AZ it is shorter to go down Hwy. 5 through San Felipe. But there is both several miles of detours and about 20 miles of unfinished highway before it joins Hwy. 1 (at Laguna Chapala).

Hwy. 1 also has unpaved detours and construction (south of Santo Tomas) for a few miles.

Eating in La Paz is not a problem... Mexico has great food. Tres Virgenes restaurant is excellent, but a high-end restaurant... you may find the governor eating there!

mtnpop - 1-7-2019 at 12:24 PM

Last spring in LaPaz we discovered "Nabrassa Brazilian Steakhouse" a very unique type of restaurant.
At the time $20 per person all you can eat + drinks.. It is worth the try. Many other places too many to mention.
Mulege, main streets are torn up re paving but Donheys, Los Equipilies, El Candil, all are good.
Sta. Rosalia, Terco's, Cafe Balerino's this one not sure the name is right but up the hill toward the Telmex office.
Other than that most all the taco stands are good. Many will disagree.

Hook - 1-7-2019 at 12:33 PM

If you are insistent on getting from the border to La Paz in 2-3 days, it is pointless to suggest places to see along the route. You wont have time for anything but driving. Especially if you are counting getting from Surprise to the border in one of those days.

JZ - 1-7-2019 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I would add to this list: San Ignacio and Bahía Concepción

Yep.

JZ - 1-7-2019 at 01:11 PM

Hotels:

Loreto - La Mision upscale; Oasis, on the water, but more budget
BoLA - Costa del Sol
Gonzaga Bay - Alfonsinas
Mulege - Serenidad

advrider - 1-7-2019 at 05:54 PM

All of the above are great suggestions. We just did the drive from SF to bay of LA over Christmas and it was about 5-6 hours pulling a small tent trailer. I would maybe stop in Gonzaga bay for lunch but skip staying there, prices have gone up a lot but it is a beautiful place! Slow down and enjoy the drive...

Bubba - 1-8-2019 at 12:15 PM

You may find some useful info here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90974