BajaNomad

Electric Vehicle charging arrives in Baja

StuckSucks - 1-7-2019 at 03:59 PM

According to PlugShare.com, there is now EV charging down the peninsula. Ensenada wineries-aside, there is Tesla Destination charging available:

Marina San Felipe Resort
San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico, 21850

Mision Santa Maria
San Quintin, Baja California, Mexico, 22930

Mision Cataviña
Catavina, Baja California, Mexico, 22965

Hotel Terrasal
23940 Guerrero Negro, B.C.S., Mexico

Hotel La Huerta
San Ignacio, Baja California Sur, Mexico, 23930

Hotel Cuesta Real
Mulege, Baja California Sur, Mexico, 23880

Villa del Palmar at The Islands of Loreto
23880 Loreto, B.C.S., Mexico

Maria de Nadie Hotel Boutique
23600 Cd Constitución, B.C.S., Mexico

Also, a few shopping centers, Nissan Dealers and hotels in La Paz, San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas.

bajadogs - 1-7-2019 at 04:19 PM

Yay!!!!

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2019 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
According to PlugShare.com, there is now EV charging down the peninsula.

kind of cool. but quick glance showed no price info for stations, and apparently none are level 3 chargers. need some guinea pigs to drive the peninsula and report back on their charging experiences

Ensenada

bajaguy - 1-7-2019 at 05:24 PM

Charging stations at Hussong's and Estero Beach Resort

DanO - 1-7-2019 at 05:51 PM

Serious proliferation of those charging stations down the peninsula and a reasonably priced and Baja-proven electric pickup might just cure me of my gasoline addiction.

AKgringo - 1-7-2019 at 06:08 PM

I did not see it myself, but I remember a post about two years ago on this forum reporting a Nissan Leaf, pulling a small trailer with a generator on it!

DavidT - 1-7-2019 at 06:13 PM

Now taking reservations

https://www.bollingermotors.com

Getting a Quickie ?

MrBillM - 1-7-2019 at 06:18 PM

Or, gassing up ?

Pumping 25 gallons (good for 350-400 miles) into my Dodge takes about 5 minutes. If one needed more range, Jerry cans and saddle tanks can do the job.

I see one reference that claims (for a compact EV) 30 minutes for each 40 miles. Is that about right ?

Total range around 200-300 miles ?

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2019 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Or, gassing up ?

Pumping 25 gallons (good for 350-400 miles) into my Dodge takes about 5 minutes. If one needed more range, Jerry cans and saddle tanks can do the job.

I see one reference that claims (for a compact EV) 30 minutes for each 40 miles. Is that about right ?

Total range around 200-300 miles ?

Elec cars are great for commuting, short trips around town, etc. Some of them got whiplashing acceleration. Fun.
Unfortunately, the refueling time is long, especially if not a superchsrger station. So elec vehicles not really good for long road trips.
The teslas are way nicer and more fun than a tacoma or f150!

Bubba - 1-8-2019 at 12:16 PM

Good luck when it's time to replace the batteries.

tobianogreg - 1-8-2019 at 12:19 PM

Forgive my ignorance but isn’t most electricity on the Baja diesel generated? Doesn’t make a lot of sense if so.

DanO - 1-8-2019 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Not likely to be an issue.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16/tesla-batteries-have-90...

DanO - 1-8-2019 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tobianogreg  
Forgive my ignorance but isn’t most electricity on the Baja diesel generated? Doesn’t make a lot of sense if so.

At least from the border down to Ensenada BCN is on the California electrical grid, which relies on a combination of renewable and LNG generation sources.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents...
It looks like the plan for the rest of the peninsula is to move from internal combustion (diesel, other low grade fuel oil) to mostly LNG generation in a few years. Don't know if that makes any more sense.
https://www.wartsila.com/twentyfour7/in-detail/optimising-th...

[Edited on 1-8-2019 by DanO]

Bubba - 1-8-2019 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Not likely to be an issue.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16/tesla-batteries-have-90...

Thanks for the link, I would love it to be true.

DanO - 1-8-2019 at 07:11 PM

And another startup hits the market, this one claiming a 15-minute recharge time with a 300 to 500-mile range depending on the model and a starting price of $45,000. Hmmmm.

https://jalopnik.com/the-atlis-xt-electric-pickup-concept-co...

JZ - 1-8-2019 at 07:36 PM

Thanks pretty interesting. Good post op.

Bubba - 1-10-2019 at 08:13 AM

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-online/2019/01/08/paren...

PaulW - 1-10-2019 at 08:55 AM

For Baja not very practical for distance travel. IMO, just drive to a destination and spend the night at each charging place or in some cases go to a charging place and spend several hours then go again. Would take week or more to get from San Diego to Cabo.

weebray - 1-10-2019 at 09:09 AM

This whole industry is in its infancy. All of the issues thrown up here will be mitigated in time. At present EV's are more appropriate for local and commute usage. This will change as technology catches up and renewable energy replaces fossil fuels. It just makes too much sense to ignore or dismiss. It's already feasible for autonomous long-distance trucking.

David K - 1-10-2019 at 09:11 AM

With four rotating tires as generators, why is there no tech on the cars recharging themselves when driven?

StuckSucks - 1-10-2019 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
With four rotating tires as generators, why is there no tech on the cars recharging themselves when driven?

Regenerative brake

Regenerative braking is an energy recovery mechanism which slows a vehicle or object by converting its kinetic energy into a form which can be either used immediately or stored until needed. In this mechanism the electric motor uses the vehicle's momentum to recover energy that would be otherwise lost to the brake discs as heat. This contrasts with conventional braking systems, where the excess kinetic energy is converted to unwanted and wasted heat by friction in the brakes, or with dynamic brakes, where energy is recovered by using electric motors as generators but is immediately dissipated as heat in resistors. In addition to improving the overall efficiency of the vehicle, regeneration can greatly extend the life of the braking system as its parts do not wear as quickly.

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The Holy Grail of Physics, a perpetual motion machine.

John

David K - 1-10-2019 at 11:51 AM

That's what I was thinking!
Seriously, even if just 50% effective, you still aren't stuck with a dead battery at the end of 200 miles or whatever a Tesla range is. Another 100 miles will get you to Guerrero Negro, lol!

Jim, yes, I have read of the brake charge system.

AKgringo - 1-10-2019 at 01:49 PM

What I want is a battery powered generator! :P

Bubba - 1-10-2019 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
What I want is a battery powered generator! :P

Solar!

thebajarunner - 1-10-2019 at 04:38 PM

My daughter and friend showed up last week in a Tesla 3, heading for Mammoth.
I got a few minutes behind the wheel....
YOweeZoweee.....never felt anything like that acceleration and I have driven race cars and fast cars all my life.
Also, it sort of 'self drove' down the highway for a lot of miles without any drifting.
Now the bad new..... they had to stop in Sonora and Groveland to make it over to Hiway 395.
It really did not like that 10,000 foot elevation gain, coming home it was no problem for re-juicing the thing.
Not exactly a "Baja cruiser" at this point,
Especially where the power comes from generators.

TMW - 1-10-2019 at 06:06 PM

Electric cars are fine for the 100-200 miles distances they can travel. It is a step in eliminating fossil fuel vehicles but I think the future will be with hydrogen power.

thebajarunner - 1-14-2019 at 04:55 PM

I shared the map at the top of the thread with my daughter, the Tesla informed member of the family.
She smiled and said, "Dad, all of those green markers are not supercharger stations. Best case they charge at 50 miles per hour of charge time, so plan to spend the night at each charging spot."
Apparently there are no superchargers yet built in Baja, although some on the mainland are on line. (Note the orange markers)
Maybe this is for the best, if you are a Baja lover,
cuz it will take you 10 days to go to the tip and back.

Bubba - 1-15-2019 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Electric cars are fine for the 100-200 miles distances they can travel. It is a step in eliminating fossil fuel vehicles but I think the future will be with hydrogen power.

Agreed. I am however seeing more charging stations on the Central Coast.

StuckSucks - 1-15-2019 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I got a few minutes behind the wheel....
YOweeZoweee.....never felt anything like that acceleration and I have driven race cars and fast cars all my life.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record -- 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds!

Bob and Susan - 1-15-2019 at 12:12 PM

i'd like to actually see a pic of one of these "charging stations" in baja

maybe a long extension cord from the building?

TMW - 1-15-2019 at 12:15 PM

Do all electric cars use the same electrical plug?

PaulW - 1-15-2019 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i'd like to actually see a pic of one of these "charging stations" in baja

maybe a long extension cord from the building?

==== =
They look like the ones in the states. A pedestal where the car parks. Not close to the building. The source cable is underground to the pedestal. The one I saw at a resort had 3 pedestals one Tesla and two SAE.

TMW - 1-16-2019 at 11:00 AM

Here is an electric car charging guide. A lot of good info.
https://chargehub.com/en/electric-car-charging-guide.html

caj13 - 1-16-2019 at 02:34 PM

somebody needs to be the first to drive the whole length of Baja on battery power! It would be their claim to fame, probably end up on their tombstone, almost certainly in their obituary!

DanO - 1-16-2019 at 06:12 PM

And now Ford has announced that they'll be making both a hybrid and an all-electric version of the F150. Amazing what a little marketing from the competition will do. https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup...

mtgoat666 - 1-16-2019 at 06:34 PM

And now Ford has announced that they'll be making both a hybrid and an all-electric version of the F150. Amazing what a little marketing from the competition will do. https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup...

Marketing did not change their mind. The future is now. The world is going electric!

My house is net exporter of solar elec, i have enough “free” juice to fuel a car, my next car will be electric.

drzura - 1-16-2019 at 06:53 PM

Good deal. Out of curiosity, what wattage and how many solar panels do you have for your home? I think solar is the way to go.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Marketing did not change their mind. The future is now. The world is going electric!

My house is net exporter of solar elec, i have enough “free” juice to fuel a car, my next car will be electric.

Bubba - 1-17-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
somebody needs to be the first to drive the whole length of Baja on battery power! It would be their claim to fame, probably end up on their tombstone, almost certainly in their obituary!

They will need to bring a trailer with plenty of back up batteries!

PaulW - 1-17-2019 at 08:54 AM

Did you know that Tesla sells a gasoline powered generator as an option? It fits in the trunk and has outside intake and outside exhaust. It is low powered and just meant to get to the next charging station.
No superchargers that I know of in Baja, so that means a layover when charging is required.

Bubba - 1-22-2019 at 06:50 AM

Here's one they just installed at Arroyo Grande hospital.

15940548_389410788078952_7189362991051455321_n.jpg - 69kB

amigobaja - 1-22-2019 at 09:42 AM

Las Rosas Hotel in Ensenada has three charging stations. North end of town overlooking the beach.