BajaNomad

Safety driving from boarder

Snowbird - 1-9-2019 at 11:19 PM

Hey all,
So I have traveled down the peninsula 5 times or so but it was 10-12 years ago. I have a wife and 2 year old as well as 2 large dogs. I have never been one to read into our news too much but with a family I am a bit more nervous. We are looking to cross at Mexicali and head south. I’ve read some unfortunate reports of tourist who live down south for the winters, having been dealt some violent attacks. Bahia de los angelas to name one. We are traveling in a sprinter so not the small under the radar Tacoma I had in past visits. Really appreciate the feedback and travel experiences.

fishbuck - 1-10-2019 at 03:52 AM

Boarders usually don't bother you unless you reveal the secret spots.

Bubba - 1-10-2019 at 06:09 AM

Be aware and use common sense as you would any where and you should be fine.

pacificobob - 1-10-2019 at 07:32 AM

there is nothing easier to market than fear.
folks just love it.
it's a biological thing.
employ some situational awareness and have fun. cheers.

bajaguy - 1-10-2019 at 07:58 AM

Get your insurance from Bajabound before you go https://www.bajabound.com/

Stop at the border and get your FMM.......passports or passport cards needed

Have fun

David K - 1-10-2019 at 08:47 AM

Be more afraid driving through the United States than driving across the border into Mexico!

The only difference from 10 years ago is that there is no longer a 'Border Zone' where no tourist card is needed for 3 days. All now must get the FMM tourist card, at the border. Mexicali is easy, park by the first building and bring your passports in with you.

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Boarders usually don't bother you unless you reveal the secret spots.

I have a harder time evicting them.

John

JoeJustJoe - 1-10-2019 at 09:33 AM

If you ask me, I will say your travels to Mexico will be pretty much the same as the last time you were here 10 to 12 years ago, especially since back in 2008 to 2011 were some of the most bloodiest years of cartel violence, before the homicides dropped following that period, but now once again Mexico is having record years of homicides these last few years, especially in Baja.

I bet you didn't notice any kind of dangers last time you were in Mexico, and you won't notice anything unusual now unless you're in the drug trade or have another kind of vice.

The very few Americans who died in Mexico, were more often than not ex-pats and some of those Americans, contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun, confronting a thief trying to take their boat, or one of my favorites was when an American lady landlord tried to evict a tenant and kick them out for late rent, and tenant said no with a gun, and then shot the landlord. (it probably was not a lawful eviction)

If you have a Mexican gay lover, for some reason or another it often contributes to higher number of homicides to American ex-pats and tourists.

You also have Americans, dying from car accidents, drownings, and suicides, added to the mix to deaths in Mexico, when really it could have happened anywhere.

Other than that you should be OK, however to be fair, I will also present the other side , the alarmist side if nobody else does it later.

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Alm - 1-10-2019 at 11:51 AM

The inquiry is too general. Tell your destination(s), people will suggest routes and hotels. Don't travel in the night.

chavycha - 1-10-2019 at 12:06 PM

We're not dead yet. So I guess it is possible to survive.

sancho - 1-10-2019 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun

That is one thing I always pass along if asked. Not that I've been in that situation nor talked to anyone who has. Didn't say if
your camping, it is fairly agreed upon to not camp in a
remote location alone. With 5 trips, seems to me you
are set. This constant comparison of Baja to the US, crime, driving wise serves no purpose

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by sancho]

fishbuck - 1-10-2019 at 01:00 PM

Where is that pic of the couple camping on the beach and the lady is holding a baby.
From last year. They asked if it was safe and then went camping.
So safe a baby can do it I think was the point.

JoeJustJoe - 1-10-2019 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

contributed to their own demise by doing dumb things, for example not turning over their purse or wallet to a robber with a gun

That is one thing I always pass along if asked. Not that I've been in that situation nor talked to anyone who has. Didn't say if
your camping, it is fairly agreed upon to not camp in a
remote location alone. With 5 trips, seems to me you
are set. This constant comparison of Baja to the US, crime, driving wise serves no purpose

Since you're quoting me, I don't think I compared the US to Mexico, in my post above, however, I see no problem doing so, and I think it serves a purpose.

BTW, we have ugly Americans, all the time comparing the US to Mexico, for example, at a line at McDonald's, in Mexico, you will often hear Americans, saying how bad the service is in a McDonald's in Mexico, compared to a McDonald's in the US. ( you will usually see me in the back of the line rolling my eyes)

So why not make a safety comparison between cities in Mexico, and the US, including the common comparison to Chicago, to another large city in Mexico?

Isn't it rather funny, that in the US some of it's biggest cities make the most dangerous cities in the world list, but usually nobody is ever trying to discourage tourists from visiting those cities like a Chicago, or New Orleans.

So Sancho, what serves a purpose better than comparison?

sancho - 1-10-2019 at 01:44 PM

I don't think I compared the US to Mexico, in my post above, however, I see no problem doing so, and I think it serves a purpose.

Wasn't referring to anything in your posted reply, another poster.
The OP' s ? was not about the US.
The mention of an accident, vehicle wise, to me
far outweighs any physical threat

Alm - 1-10-2019 at 02:31 PM

The OP's post was not about the US for sure. What "was" it about, hard to tell, really. Please somebody tell that we'll all collectively hold his/her hand, if this helps.

Is there violent crime in Baja? Yes. Are tourists on the road attacked? Yes. How likely is it to happen to you personally? Hey, nobody knows, this is not a weather forecast.

Like I wrote - don't travel in the night. Choose your campings/hotels wisely. Post your planned route, there will be more to suggest then. As it is now, there is nothing to talk about - the thread spiraling to the bottom of the toilet proves this, IMO.

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
As it is now, there is nothing to talk about - the thread spiraling to the bottom of the toilet proves this, IMO.

But, they told me there was a pony down there somewhere? It's not true?

John

willardguy - 1-10-2019 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Snowbird  
Hey all,
So I have traveled down the peninsula 5 times or so but it was 10-12 years ago. I have a wife and 2 year old as well as 2 large dogs. I have never been one to read into our news too much but with a family I am a bit more nervous. We are looking to cross at Mexicali and head south. I’ve read some unfortunate reports of tourist who live down south for the winters, having been dealt some violent attacks. Bahia de los angelas to name one. We are traveling in a sprinter so not the small under the radar Tacoma I had in past visits. Really appreciate the feedback and travel experiences.

kudo's for being concerned about your young family's safety:D unfortunately you have to weed through the gibberish of a few that have never ventured south of tijuana's zona norte. have a great trip!:yes:

Bubba - 1-11-2019 at 04:00 AM

These signs were posted along the AZ border back during the Obammy Admin.

49864166_10156847625699761_1608599968296206336_n.jpg - 75kB

JoeJustJoe - 1-11-2019 at 08:07 AM

Who could forget back in 2010 when Arizona Gov, Jan Brewer, lost her head, in an attempt to ruin tourism in Arizona, and said, "our law enforcement agencies have found bodies in the desert either buried or just lying around out there that have been beheaded."

Of course it turns out Jan Brewer, was wrong, and she was just another GOP nut case.

Lee - 1-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

You're always good for a laugh if nothing else Jay!

Bubba, one of these days, you'r'e going to be dangerous when you're able to put together a whole paragraph in any one post.

Let me guest, you're a big Sheriff Joe Arpaio, fan?

I'm a big Senator, Kyrsten Sinema(D) fan, and I like the fact that the state of Arizona, is finally turning blue, as expected.

Isn't turning blue normal when oxygen is cut off from the brain?

Yes it is. No matter what though, ol Jay is always good for a chuckle.

Clearly Joe is the adult in the room. The clowns, not so much.

Regarding the subject of this post, safety in Baja is relative. Safety compared to where?

''Be more afraid driving through the United States than driving across the border into Mexico!''

This statement is nonsense but the point isn't lost. I question my safety driving LA traffic. Otherwise, no. When crossing South through Tecate, I am aware I could be stopped for a bogus traffic violation. On the other hand, I don't read about drive-by shootings down here so that is good news.

When I cross the border, I'm aware the laws of MX are not in my favor. That makes me extra cautious.

If what people read in the media about MX violence makes them ''nervous,'' I recommend not driving down. Fly to MX, stay at a resort. Baja, if anything, is a great testing ground. Be prepared. Have fun!

The media's business is selling news and violence sells. Fear is a byproduct. Deal with the fear and you're 80% there.:tumble:

Road Safety ----- U.S. versus Mexico

MrBillM - 1-12-2019 at 10:32 AM

Regardless of local conditions, I can say with certainty that (for me) travel in the U.S. is safer.

When I'm on the highway (and mostly when on local roads) in the U.S., there's a loaded 9mm or .45ACP under the driver's seat. Something which I (reluctantly) gave up some years ago when traveling in Mexico.

Snowbird - 1-12-2019 at 01:09 PM

@joejustjoe & Sanch
Thanks the responses. The area we are focusing on would be from San Felipe headed south to about los Barriles, probably with a stop in agua verde Loreto, Mulegé, San Ignacio lagoons and few other spots like that.
On previous trips the more secluded spots were what we sought out. With the family and less inconspicuous vehicle I was just concerned about attracting attention in places like playa el coyote, santispac, and Playa el Requeson.
agreed, someone wanting my wallet when they have a gun is an easy decision...
Again, just trying to find the balance between showing my other half and kiddo one of the most remarkable places I’ve been to and being a responsible parent..... Still learning that one!
Like I mentioned in the opening post, I’ve never been one to believe all the hype but it’s crazy how much fear reporting there is out there.
Thanks again for the honest opinions and time.

Snowbird - 1-12-2019 at 01:21 PM

Damn thing wouldn’t let me edit,
Thanks for all the input!

fishbuck - 1-12-2019 at 02:22 PM

Damn thing wouldn’t let me edit,
Thanks for all the input!

Oh you mean the "border"
But you are right to be concerned for your safety around "boarders"
Boarders are very dangerous... to themselves.
I got the perma-bruises to prove it.

And yes we get upset when our secret spots are revealed.

But like I said... if you search this question some people did it with a newborn baby last year.
Camping in a tent Pacific side I think.
I think the baby was giving a little "whaletail" wave and a "it's cool bru" look.

mtgoat666 - 1-12-2019 at 02:27 PM

USA roads are safer. There is no livestock on road. Lanes are wider. Road hazards are marked in USA. Major highways in USA are repaired when erosion or sink holes remove part of lane. In Mexico, the repairs will be done someday, and in meantime there is no marking of missing road,... it’s driver be ware!

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by mtgoat666]

fishbuck - 1-12-2019 at 02:35 PM

Yeah...

Snowbird - 1-12-2019 at 02:37 PM

:lol:

Alm - 1-12-2019 at 03:51 PM

Showing the most remarkable places..... to a 2-year old? A lot of good this will do.

Events that happened before the age of 7 will be forgotten almost entirely by the age of 12. By the age of 9 he'll already forget 70% of it, and events from the first 2 years of life will be the first to go.

Moreover, he'll be getting tired of long trips.

The very first beach where you stop, - if he's enjoying it - this is it, this is your destination. Dozen other beaches that are memorable to you, won't make difference to a child at this age.

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by Alm]

Bubba - 1-12-2019 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Yeah...

What he said.

John Harper - 1-12-2019 at 05:00 PM

Showing the most remarkable places..... to a 2-year old? A lot of good this will do.

Events that happened before the age of 7 will be forgotten almost entirely by the age of 12. By the age of 9 he'll already forget 70% of it, and events from the first 2 years of life will be the first to go.

Moreover, he'll be getting tired of long trips.

The very first beach where you stop, - if he's enjoying it - this is it, this is your destination. Dozen other beaches that are memorable to you, won't make difference to a child at this age.

[Edited on 1-12-2019 by Alm]

Sounds like a voice of true wisdom.

John

Snowbird - 1-12-2019 at 05:23 PM

Well it’s been decided Folks, ’ll stay home until he’s 13!

👍

del mar - 1-12-2019 at 05:56 PM

:lol:

David K - 1-12-2019 at 07:03 PM

With humor like that, Snowbird, you will get along just fine here!

BajaMama - 1-12-2019 at 07:40 PM

The roads have improved that is for sure. I don't know how far south you are going, but if you are entering at Mexicali I assume down Mex 5? South of San Felipe there were many road and bridge washouts so a lot of work-arounds. Are you planning on heading west after entering and going down 1? Much wider now, there are actually shoulders here and there and further south many bridges have been built over washes. As far as feeling safe, I always feel safe and I am a 59 year old female who often drives alone 600 miles south of the border!

Snowbird - 1-12-2019 at 08:11 PM

Baja Mama,
Thanks for the info.
That is exactly correct, Denver to Mexicali with a possible stop at Guadalupe canyon oasis, then south to San Felipe for a night then keep heading south to San Ignacio lagoons, Mulegé, Loreto, La Paz and maybe los barriles. I think I will just have to look at the camping aspect a little different meaning camp near, not necessarily right next to, but close to others Vs searching out a private secluded area.

Alm - 1-13-2019 at 01:13 AM

Given that you never asked any questions in the opening post or later, I have no doubt that you have already decided what you are going to do, before even coming to this forum :)...

My post referred solely to one of "stated" goals, i.e. showing remarkable places to a 2-year old. Shouldn't have probably read too much into this, either.

[Edited on 1-13-2019 by Alm]

Bubba - 1-13-2019 at 06:03 AM

That's crazy talk! Go and enjoy!

Alm - 1-13-2019 at 12:02 PM

Nah, he's got it backwards. Infantile amnesia - the period that you later don't remember much about - covers first 4 or 6 years, not 13.

Bubba - 1-13-2019 at 12:56 PM

Nah, he's got it backwards. Infantile amnesia - the period that you later don't remember much about - covers first 4 or 6 years, not 13.

So should he go now or wait until 7?

John Harper - 1-13-2019 at 02:18 PM

Leave the kid with grandma and take the wife.

John

Bubba - 1-13-2019 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Leave the kid with grandma and take the wife.

John

I like the way you think.