BajaNomad

Free toll road Dec. 2018 and Jan 2019

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2019 at 08:46 AM

In December when we drove north, we were surprised to see the first group of toll booths unmanned except for groups of people taking donations.

When we asked them what they were doing, they said it was teachers protesting but we didn't have time to ask what they were protesting. All the other tolls were up and running.

Three weeks later, all the tolls were closed and folks were soliciting donations. The first toll group told us they were women protesting. Again, whizzed through before we could get more information.

Anyone know what's up?

David K - 1-10-2019 at 08:52 AM

It was posted that AMLO said the road is paid for so why are they still collecting tolls? :biggrin:

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 09:03 AM

I did not pay toll going south a couple Saturday's ago, but the stations were staffed on my return (at 5:00AM) on Sunday morning. I heard the protests are about people who are forced to have to use the toll road because of where they live and can't access the free road easily. I'm not sure why that is, unless they can't get off before having to pay a toll.

John

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by John Harper]

TMW - 1-10-2019 at 11:09 AM

If they stop collecting tolls the highway will become pot hole city in a couple of years or less just like places on Hwy 1 are now.

lizard lips - 1-10-2019 at 11:35 AM

Do not give a donation to the people with their hands out and plastic cut off milk cartons. They have nothing to do with opening up the road for no fee. They are freeloaders and are making big bucks from those that think they are part of the group.

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
Do not give a donation to the people with their hands out and plastic cut off milk cartons. They have nothing to do with opening up the road for no fee. They are freeloaders and are making big bucks from those that think they are part of the group.

Exactly, but it took me a bit to realize that. Actually, sixteen bits.:lol::lol::lol:

John

[Edited on 1-10-2019 by John Harper]

willardguy - 1-10-2019 at 12:05 PM

they need to ditch the tijuana toll booths, its ridiculous to pay a toll both ways to visit the playas when you're five miles away. :(

Bubba - 1-10-2019 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If they stop collecting tolls the highway will become pot hole city in a couple of years or less just like places on Hwy 1 are now.

And who will make sure these tolls go to maintaining these roads? It's like the fox guarding the chicken coop.

David K - 1-10-2019 at 03:35 PM

So, if they collect a toll south of El Rosario and north of the Eagle Monument, then Hwy. 1 won't have any more potholes there?

The free road to Ensenada from Tijuana is great, a lot of it is 4-lanes wide now.

It is really about getting attention and the number of tax payers south of El Rosario is so tiny, their reps in Mexicali don't get too much demand.

A federal highway should not be maintained from a state budget, but it seems in Mexico that it is?

willardguy - 1-10-2019 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So, if they collect a toll south of El Rosario and north of the Eagle Monument, then Hwy. 1 won't have any more potholes there?

The free road to Ensenada from Tijuana is great, a lot of it is 4-lanes wide now.

it is a nice road....if only they lose the K-rail :(

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

it is a nice road....if only they lose the K-rail :(

I think I'd rather take a sideswipe from a K rail than a head on from a drunken fool. That almost happened to me a few years ago at the curve where Splash is, scary chit. It does make turning left somewhat a challenge in places, for sure.

John

thebajarunner - 1-10-2019 at 04:30 PM

The road is paid for so no more tolls????
Wow, that is definitely a revolutionary concept.
Golden Gate Bridge, listen up....

I was visiting in Indiana couple months back and they told me that they "sold" their toll roads to China for billions of bucks. Maybe AMLO can "sell" the roads and balance the budget.

I do like DK's idea..... slap a toll all the way to the Eagle and fix the potholes (and take out the topes while they are at it)

John Harper - 1-10-2019 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I was visiting in Indiana couple months back and they told me that they "sold" their toll roads to China for billions of bucks. Maybe AMLO can "sell" the roads and balance the budget.

I believe all US states are required to have a balanced budget. Sovereign nations, however, do not have that constraint. Hence, our own growing national debt.

Mexico is likely the same, which has led to periodic devaluations, a somewhat crude and brutish way to deal with the problem. I guess that's what happens when the wealth is so hyper-concentrated at the top (like Mexico) and tax avoidance is rampant. I'm sure there are other factors but the end result is to socialize the damage onto the poor (and politically powerless) by devaluing their pesos. We could do that here in the US to solve our debt problem, but it would be political suicide for whatever party suggested it.

I think most of the private toll roads built here in SoCal (Orange County) have been a financial bust. I believe they did stop tolls on the Coronado Bridge here in San Diego, as it was paid off and it was decided to stop collections.

I agree with DK's idea too, if it could be implemented wisely. Unfortunately, common sense is not too common lately.

John

David K - 1-10-2019 at 06:47 PM

Before the spin masters have fun with this, I was joking, that if all it takes to end pot holes was a toll booth then will adding one or two work that kind of magic south of El Rosario?

I think Mexican law says a toll road must have a parallel free road.