BajaNomad

SUPER quick banzai trip to Ensenada

aburruss - 1-10-2019 at 06:39 PM

This is probably a super boring trip report, with nothing of importance, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Yesterday, for preparation for an upcoming race, the manager of our sister race team and I decided to drive down to Ensenada real quick like to get some face time with the manager of our preferred hotel, book our block of rooms IN PERSON, and see some of the happenings. PLUS, we could get some dinner in Baja, which is most always a good thing.

We came in through the Otay crossing, and made our way over to highway 201 and took that south to Highway 1D. There were two sections of 201 that were LITERALLY jumps. If you aren't paying attention, you WILL catch air, driving at the posted speed limit.

Once we got onto 1D, everything was good. Small section where the road is one lane each way (been that way for a while - the proper southbound lanes are just dirt). Once we got to the final toll booth before Ensenada, the toll booth agent said what I'm fairly certain was "Gracias, weto". I chuckled and drove on.

The hotel stop was quick and easy, we got our rooms paid for and all ready for our upcoming stay.

We then decided to grab a bite to eat. A local guy on the corner directed us around the block to a place called El Mesón de Don Fernando. It's a block off of Highway 1, close to the Hotel Bahia, right in the touristy area. It was late afternoon, and even though we were in late afternoon, non peak dinner time, the place was ODDLY deserted. That didn't seem like a good sign.. I like to go to a place where a LOT of people are, since that's likely a sign of good food.

Despite the lack of clientele, the food was superb. I had the carne asada plate, and my friend had the chile relleno. The service was outstanding; Marco was extremely attentive to our every need.

We checked a few other things out before heading out of town, and got onto Highway 3, to return through Tecate. The trip north was fantastic; great road, and no traffic.

Once into Tecate, we made our way to the garita. I then experienced something amazing, that I've not experienced before. Neither lane had a SINGLE car in it, and both border agents were standing outside their booths, chatting with each other. When I got to the window, I handed our passport card/SENTRI to the agent. He glanced quickly at them, asked if we were bringing anything back. I said that our full stomachs were the only thing, and he waved us through. I don't even know that he scanned the cards or input anything. The entire process took all of about 12 seconds. It was amazing!

Great drive, great food, great border crossing... all in all, a nice little 6 hour trip to mexico and back! (except it wasn't long enough!!)

IMG_7453.JPG - 208kB

55steve - 1-10-2019 at 07:07 PM

Ha! I've been lucky at the Tecate gate twice last year with NO vehicles there....but my other 7 trips last year had varying wait times up to 1 hour 45 mins...

BajaBill74 - 1-10-2019 at 07:32 PM

I have gone to El Mesón de Don Fernando at least five times. I go after dinner and get a shrimp c-cktail and "Margarita Grande".

Marco is a good waiter. He's been there for years.

bajaguy - 1-10-2019 at 07:41 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you stop at Otay and get your FMM??

aburruss - 1-10-2019 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Nope, but only because I've already got my 6 month one.

Pacifico - 1-10-2019 at 08:13 PM

Sounds like a fun, quick trip! What race are you getting rooms for; the 500?

aburruss - 1-10-2019 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

The NORRA, in April. We are definitely early, but things are already filling up down there.

Pacifico - 1-10-2019 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  

The NORRA, in April. We are definitely early, but things are already filling up down there.

You are smart! What class are you racing?

Bubba - 1-11-2019 at 04:06 AM

That Carne Asada looks awesome!

chippy - 1-11-2019 at 05:27 AM

That food photo makes me hungry!

The toll booth guy probably said "gracias guero" if you´re of light skin color.

David K - 1-11-2019 at 07:16 AM

Thank you for the report and photo!

pacificobob - 1-11-2019 at 07:46 AM

banzai=10,000 years just a bit of Japanese trivia

aburruss - 1-11-2019 at 11:28 AM

You are smart! What class are you racing?

Evolution Era - Unlimited Buggy. It's a Class 1 car.

JoeJustJoe - 1-11-2019 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Out of curiosity, if you did stop and get your FMM, did you surrender, your FMM on your way out of Mexico?

The food looks delicious.