BajaNomad

Rancho Grande at Gonzaga Bay TRIPLES leases!!

dizzyspots - 1-18-2019 at 10:28 AM

With no notice of forewarning, Rancho Grande has TRIPLED the leases of the dozen or so "residential" palapa properties along the beach. From an annual fee of $2000 to $6000!!...no warning...when you went to make the lease payment..."sorry...its been tripled to $6000!!
Informal consensus is that ALL of the folks are going to bail out when their current leases are up.
We are headed down tomorrow to help our palapa host get the big stuff moved out....

motoged - 1-18-2019 at 10:34 AM

What will be next for the houses along the strip? One is up for sale on BN....:?:

dizzyspots - 1-18-2019 at 10:38 AM

BN?

tobias - 1-18-2019 at 10:43 AM

What is to keep this from happening to any lot that you have leased in mexico to build a house?

John Harper - 1-18-2019 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dizzyspots  
BN?

BajaNomad?

John

David K - 1-18-2019 at 11:03 AM

Maybe the long proposed Rancho Grande resort hotel will be coming soon?

TMW - 1-18-2019 at 11:05 AM

They probably want you to move out so they can build something.

thebajarunner - 1-18-2019 at 11:14 AM

In my world a lease has a definite time and payment schedule clearly written in the contract.
Are these type of leases "in blank" or year to year?
Leases are supposed to protect both parties.

Can we hum a few bars of the old song "Did you read the fine print?"

del mar - 1-18-2019 at 11:25 AM

im sure the Fernandez's will follow suit :(

advrider - 1-18-2019 at 11:29 AM

I bet the same will happen just down the beach to the North, the way the hotel and food prices are going up... That whole area will be rental houses or condos before long..

[Edited on 1-18-2019 by advrider]

BajaTed - 1-18-2019 at 11:36 AM

Happening here too BTW
As leases expire on lower Colorado River Indian tribal land in AZ, the same tactics are used to get old leaser out.

dizzyspots - 1-18-2019 at 11:52 AM

No lease per se...all handshake and year to year...but zero notice for folks that have been there for years...sucks!

willardguy - 1-18-2019 at 12:07 PM

No lease per se...all handshake and year to year...but zero notice for folks that have been there for years...sucks!

sure sounds like Don Rafa has something up his sleeve doesn't it?:no:

thebajarunner - 1-18-2019 at 12:07 PM

AS we always say in real estate law....

A verbal deal ain't worth the paper it is written on.....

bonanza bucko - 1-18-2019 at 12:10 PM

Re a hotel and resort at Rancho Grande: dream on sweet prince.

The first time a West wind blows everyone off the beach the place will close.

People will put up with that for $2000/year but they won't if they paid a daily hotel/motel rental because their entire stay will be ruined. We have seen people camped at Rancho Grande's beach for Easter get blown off for years.

KurtG - 1-18-2019 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
What will be next for the houses along the strip? One is up for sale on BN....:?:

I think the ones you are referring to are part of Alfonsina's not Rancho Grande.

John Harper - 1-18-2019 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
AS we always say in real estate law....

A verbal deal ain't worth the paper it is written on.....

Sad, but true.

John

Lee - 1-18-2019 at 03:43 PM

A handshake or verbal Land Lease is not a contract. Unless the Lessee has an RV or trailer, or a temporary structure that can be moved, there is no benefit to this kind of agreement for a gringo. Even with a MX contract, a gringo will lose fighting eviction with a MX.

I've heard the ''benefits'' of this kind of arrangement. Like, lease agreement for 10 years or more. Right.

In MX, leased land is good until the Lessor decides to raise the rent, or evict, then it's a new game.

So, walking away from an investment and improvements might be OK with some. I've heard that argument too. Don't invest in more than you can walk away from. Why invest at all if the odds are against you?

Lessee has recourse and protection NOB. Don't see it in MX. Anyone who has seen how MX court system works will want to stay clear of it.

Between new rents and evictions, Lessor is about to make lots o money.

Just my opinion and results may vary.

hombre66 - 1-18-2019 at 07:27 PM

If you follow the pavement, you gotta follow the money.

MexicoTed - 1-21-2019 at 04:51 PM

Hombre66 is right. Once they decided to pave the road south of Puertecitos it has attracted more big money. This has been the plan for many years. I have heard at Mexico real estate events on the mainland for years about how beautiful this part of the coast is and how once they build the infrastructure that there will be great opportunities for investors.

Whether they get blown out or the road washes away or whatever who knows.

StuckSucks - 1-21-2019 at 05:58 PM

And then there's the Century 21 real estate signs every quarter mile.

Pacifico - 1-21-2019 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Don't invest in more than you can walk away from. Why invest at all if the odds are against you?

This is great advice. Advice that my dad told me years ago. I guess this applies to me. I have an investment in Mexico and in my opinion, it is worth it. Our Baja pad has brought my family and friends so much happiness and enjoyment over the years that the financial risk is worth it. It's a risk, but I can't imagine life without our special place in Baja. Nobody gets outta here alive, and you can't take it with you!

Bajaboy - 1-21-2019 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Don't invest in more than you can walk away from. Why invest at all if the odds are against you?

This is great advice. Advice that my dad told me years ago. I guess this applies to me. I have an investment in Mexico and in my opinion, it is worth it. Our Baja pad has brought my family and friends so much happiness and enjoyment over the years that the financial risk is worth it. It's a risk, but I can't imagine life without our special place in Baja. Nobody gets outta here alive, and you can't take it with you!

A F'ing Men!

Floatflyer - 1-21-2019 at 07:40 PM

We had a "hand shake" agreement with a small free range cattle rancher for 11 yrs. Little money changed hands, I would bring him tool kits, Levis, trash pump, etc when he needed things. In return we parked our Airstream next to his casa, our old Bronco, a small metal shed, our 15 ft Gregor. His wife would ask us whether or not we wanted flour or corn tortillas. I gave them fish as we caught them. When we came down he would pick us up at the airstrip and we would pull our trailer down the adjoining arroyo and park on the beach. We got water from his well, slightly saline.

After 11 years he got kicked off his property due to a lawsuit brought by a rich MEXICAN attorney disputing the ownership of this 5 +/- acre ranchito that my friend lived on for over 50 yrs! He lost in court and he left and we were forced to move as well.

This family was our family, we remained close friends despite no longer sharing a piece of property. It isn't just gringos that can get hosed in Mexico.

David K - 1-22-2019 at 01:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
We had a "hand shake" agreement with a small free range cattle rancher for 11 yrs. Little money changed hands, I would bring him tool kits, Levis, trash pump, etc when he needed things. In return we parked our Airstream next to his casa, our old Bronco, a small metal shed, our 15 ft Gregor. His wife would ask us whether or not we wanted flour or corn tortillas. I gave them fish as we caught them. When we came down he would pick us up at the airstrip and we would pull our trailer down the adjoining arroyo and park on the beach. We got water from his well, slightly saline.

After 11 years he got kicked off his property due to a lawsuit brought by a rich MEXICAN attorney disputing the ownership of this 5 +/- acre ranchito that my friend lived on for over 50 yrs! He lost in court and he left and we were forced to move as well.

This family was our family, we remained close friends despite no longer sharing a piece of property. It isn't just gringos that can get hosed in Mexico.

That's a great great story! Where was this?

Lee - 1-22-2019 at 01:42 AM

Rancho Grande residents at Gonzaga Bay knew happiness once. Probably crying in their beer about now.

Paco Facullo - 1-22-2019 at 07:07 AM

"It is Better to Have Loved and Lost Than Never to Have Loved at All"

norte - 1-22-2019 at 07:42 AM

This is a sad story (not great) and unfortunately has happened to far to many people.

pacificobob - 1-22-2019 at 08:00 AM

i know of several cases of local ranchers who have squatted multi-generationaly being booted off the family rancho.

tobias - 1-22-2019 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
"It is Better to Have Leased and Lost Than Never to Have Leased at All"

You had one job paco!

I think that at one time, leases down here were a good deal where you could find many years of happiness, now not so much. Things seem to be changing.

I think at one time marriage was a good deal where you could find many years of happiness...

BajaMama - 1-22-2019 at 08:15 AM

I assume the lease is $6,000 dollars? Per year? Not clear.

Hook - 1-22-2019 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I assume the lease is $6,000 dollars? Per year? Not clear.

I doubt anyone would be squawking over a 200.00/year increase.

Someone wants that property cleared.

SDROB - 1-22-2019 at 09:02 AM

Are these the houses next to Alfonsinas or are these Palapas past them closer to Punta Final? I can't imagine paying 2 grand a year for palapas let alone 6 grand? Doesn't sound right to me? As someone stated it sounds like they want the area clear

dizzyspots - 1-22-2019 at 09:47 AM

The annual lease was $2000...for the dirt...when they went to pay the lease...they were told"oh sorry, its now $6000!!!" This is to folks that have been long term customers...some 6 years some, 16 years..some with minimal invest some with more...the point is...basic manners and customer service and compassion would have been...hey, we're gonna make some changes, we need you guys out by ..... not like this...they also covered the entire "seawall" from one end to the other with a huge manmade berm of sand....and the market...the market is empty of all food...only beverages and now has a TEN ft high chainlink fence, topped with concertina wire and 20ft high light towers!!! Sad ending to what was a very warm and welcoming gateway to paradise....fond memories and great freindships will survive!

willardguy - 1-22-2019 at 09:54 AM

The annual lease was $2000...for the dirt...when they went to pay the lease...they were told"oh sorry, its now $6000!!!" This is to folks that have been long term customers...some 6 years some, 16 years..some with minimal invest some with more...the point is...basic manners and customer service and compassion would have been...hey, we're gonna make some changes, we need you guys out by ..... not like this...they also covered the entire "seawall" from one end to the other with a huge manmade berm of sand....and the market...the market is empty of all food...only beverages and now has a TEN ft high chainlink fence, topped with concertina wire and 20ft high light towers!!! Sad ending to what was a very warm and welcoming gateway to paradise....fond memories and great freindships will survive!

:O.....could it be it was all sold?

What the MARKET will Bear

MrBillM - 1-22-2019 at 10:04 AM

While the Rancho Grande example may be an especially sharp one, it's not unusual and shouldn't be unexpected. The stark appreciation in value for limited beachfront resources was seen in the San Felipe area long ago. 50 years back when a paved highway the length of Baja became a serious reality, it was forecast that it would result in what we are now seeing.

Paco Facullo - 1-22-2019 at 10:25 AM

San Felipe and points South had it's heyday many years ago.

It was once a paradise at a reasonable price but sadly now with the fish gone and the old timers dead or priced out it is but a shadow of the great place it was...........

But IF you go there now, for the first time, you have no gauge to go by and therefor might think it is wonderful....

It's all a matter of perception, isn't it ?

Hook - 1-22-2019 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

i know of several cases of local ranchers who have squatted multi-generationaly being booted off the family rancho.

There are probably just as many that had legitimate rights, but were booted because they couldn't match what the other party paid the judge, through the attorney.

bajaric - 1-22-2019 at 03:21 PM

the land lease, a temporary way to enjoy a great place --

thebajarunner - 1-22-2019 at 06:16 PM

Sounding a lot like some old "ejido tales" that I have heard

Can we hum a few bars of "Punta Banda Ejido, here we come"

chuckie - 1-23-2019 at 06:22 AM

And down on Concepcion bay, a few years back, the land owner just burned people out. After 30+ years living in Mexico, I think the slogan on land ownership should be "Pay me now or pay me later" BUT you WILL pay a lot in the end....

Paco Facullo - 1-23-2019 at 07:03 AM

It's a harsh cruel world out there, so's ya's better grab at every bit of enjoyment ya can, while it's still around.....................

chuckie - 1-23-2019 at 07:29 AM

THAT is the PLAN

elgatoloco - 1-23-2019 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

A F'ing Men!

Ditto.

My parents bought a shack on a cliff overlooking a beach in 1960 for $1,200.00 and it came with a 99 year lease. In the last 5+ decades it has brought so much joy to family and friends that it is immeasurable. Recent years things have gotten less stable as far as land titles and the rest. At one time we thought the house would be lost to the ocean. Now it looks like it will more likely be lost to greed-aka-landowner wants to make millions. I have been saving money for years to buy one of the first new lots in the front row when the campo gets bulldozed and paved over. :saint:
Have fun while you can.

Lee - 1-23-2019 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

My parents bought a shack on a cliff overlooking a beach in 1960 for $1,200.00 and it came with a 99 year lease. In the last 5+ decades it has brought so much joy to family and friends that it is immeasurable. Recent years things have gotten less stable as far as land titles and the rest. At one time we thought the house would be lost to the ocean. Now it looks like it will more likely be lost to greed-aka-landowner wants to make millions. I have been saving money for years to buy one of the first new lots in the front row when the campo gets bulldozed and paved over. :saint:
Have fun while you can.

Doesn't read like your parents had title which means they didn't own the land. 99 year lease? Wasn't a lease. (Besides which this ''lease'' wouldn't hold up in Court if challenged.)

You lucked out. Make a fortune or lose you shirt in MX real estate.

So, legitimate landowners recognize appreciation down here and that makes them greedy? Myopic POV.

Mulege Canuck - 1-23-2019 at 03:12 PM

Buy someone’s dream, don’t build your own and only spend what you can walk away from. It comes down to how much you can walk away from I guess.

elgatoloco - 2-10-2019 at 01:34 PM

Have fun while you can.

Doesn't read like your parents had title which means they didn't own the land. 99 year lease? Wasn't a lease. (Besides which this ''lease'' wouldn't hold up in Court if challenged.)

So, legitimate landowners recognize appreciation down here and that makes them greedy? Myopic POV.

Not greedy, smart. I don't really blame anyone with legitimate rights for doing whatever they damn well please with what they own. If I were in their shoes I would likely do the same.

I doubt I have met anyone luckier then us, really. We have made a 'fortune' because have 50+ years of joy and memories.

In 1960 a 99 year lease was the norm. No one knew different and who was to argue. My parents recognized that it was a bargain at any price, embraced the view of 'don't' spend more then you can afford to walk away from' and never thought the good times would last this long. My folks are gone now but they have left a legacy of their own with four generations of family enjoying the place.

Technically no one has title to the land our casa is own. Its federal property and for the last 35 years we pay our 'lease' at the federal office. Last year it was $282.00. My family would gladly pay 10-20-30 times that if we had too. Everybody's situation is different. We could drive up to the gate tomorrow and they could be a sign saying no trespassing SOLD and there wont be a damn thing we can do so we don't really worry about it. Nothing lasts forever so enjoy it while you can.

Bajaboy - 2-10-2019 at 07:07 PM

Have fun while you can.

Not greedy, smart. I don't really blame anyone with legitimate rights for doing whatever they damn well please with what they own. If I were in their shoes I would likely do the same.

I doubt I have met anyone luckier then us, really. We have made a 'fortune' because have 50+ years of joy and memories.

In 1960 a 99 year lease was the norm. No one knew different and who was to argue. My parents recognized that it was a bargain at any price, embraced the view of 'don't' spend more then you can afford to walk away from' and never thought the good times would last this long. My folks are gone now but they have left a legacy of their own with four generations of family enjoying the place.

Technically no one has title to the land our casa is own. Its federal property and for the last 35 years we pay our 'lease' at the federal office. Last year it was $282.00. My family would gladly pay 10-20-30 times that if we had too. Everybody's situation is different. We could drive up to the gate tomorrow and they could be a sign saying no trespassing SOLD and there wont be a damn thing we can do so we don't really worry about it. Nothing lasts forever so enjoy it while you can.

Hell yeah brother!

Great attitude Matt

thebajarunner - 2-10-2019 at 07:18 PM

You are so right.
And it ain't right, but that's the way it is sometimes

Your family has had a million dollar return on the investment
Hoping it continues for you, but hey

"It's Baja"

advrider - 2-10-2019 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Have fun while you can.

Hell yeah brother!

Not just Mexico, I have a USFS lease that went from $500 a year to almost $1800 about three years ago. No they are not 99 years leases like many think, those were mostly for grazing land. Even $1800 is a good deal for a cabin in the heart of the sierras! The private cabin just below mine comes in at near $1M and I have a better view... It is what it is, just enjoy it....