BajaNomad

free camping at punta final

BGR - 1-28-2019 at 08:01 AM

Is there anyplace to free camp on the beach at punta final?

Mulege Canuck - 1-28-2019 at 08:13 AM

I was there 3 weeks ago. You drive to a gated entrance and pay there. Amazing kayaking there. You need to be on the water to appreciate Punta Finale. I am not aware of any free camping.

David K - 1-28-2019 at 08:39 AM

See my Trip #1 and #8 reports. There is a 4WD road to the beach north of Punta Final village. No Campo there yet. I camped there on Trip #1 (Jan '17) and was going to on #8 (Aug '18) until all the sidewinder tracks changed my mind.

BGR - 1-28-2019 at 05:31 PM

Thanks Guys

Its appreciated.

Coyotes

AKgringo - 1-28-2019 at 05:39 PM

If you find access to a campsite, there is a good chance you will be visited (or at least checked out) by the local coyotes. They are not aggressive, but they can be bold, and sneaky.

If you travel with a dog, keep your pet safe!

David K - 1-28-2019 at 06:03 PM

My track to and from the 4WD access beach near Punta Final village:

The beach (north and south view):

The point of Punta Final:

Why I moved to another place to camp:

All these images were taken 6 months ago.

BGR - 1-29-2019 at 06:11 AM

That’s good info.
I don’t mind coyotes but could do without snakes.

Thanks David. I went though your trip reports. Good intel.

Fatboy - 1-29-2019 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BGR  
That’s good info.
I don’t mind coyotes but could do without snakes.

Thanks David. I went though your trip reports. Good intel.

Hmmmm....I have been bitten by as many snakes as I have coyotes.... at least with the snake it was my fault. :)

Snakes in Baja??

thebajarunner - 1-29-2019 at 05:27 PM

All my years of travel, racing, pre-running, sleeping under the stars, and I bet I have seen a total of 3 snakes.
Maybe I just don't know where to look....:light:

Hook - 1-29-2019 at 06:31 PM

I dont believe those were sidewinder tracks. Pointing in EXACTLY the same direction, and not enough undulation to the tracks.

I think those were man-made.

David K - 1-29-2019 at 08:43 PM

They were all over Hook. I camped there in December and saw none, but last August was this.

wilderone - 1-31-2019 at 07:55 AM

I just looked at many sidewinder tracks on Goggle search, including a UTube showing a sidewinder digging itself into the sand, completely covered. Good lessons to learn.

Pacifico - 1-31-2019 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My track to and from the 4WD access beach near Punta Final village:

Why I moved to another place to camp:

Those look like sidewinder tracks to me. It is good to know that if you see them, you can usually tell the direction of travel by the little "J" hook on the end of the track. The "J" points toward their direction of travel. Here are a few other examples.

David K - 1-31-2019 at 12:03 PM

Thanks Pacifico, I was sure it wasn't manmade as they were all over and the only people in that wash are quad riders from Punta Final or tent campers like me.

Very scary to think how much activity was at that place. Again, in ice-cold December/ January, no tracks... but come summer, watch out!

Pacifico - 1-31-2019 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Pacifico, I was sure it wasn't manmade as they were all over and the only people in that wash are quad riders from Punta Final or tent campers like me.

Very scary to think how much activity was at that place. Again, in ice-cold December/ January, no tracks... but come summer, watch out!

I think I'm gonna check it out next August! Where was this wash approximately?

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by Pacifico]

David K - 1-31-2019 at 03:49 PM

Between El Sacrificio and Punta Final. There is a sandy road to the beach there going off the road between those two campos. See my Trip #8 report for the map to the beach, there were two parallel roads in.

I noted the road in my guide as being 2.3 mi south of El Sacrificio entrance and 0.5 mi north of the Punta Final road from Hwy. 5 (1.6 mi from Punta Final village).

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by David K]