BajaNomad

Gueribo Trip Report #5: La Presentación

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:44 PM

From Mission San Javier, we took the rutted dirt road out of town toward Rancho Santo Domingo. There, we would meet Humberto Verdugo, the caretaker of La Presentación, a mission-era visita.

I love Baja back roads. The drive itself was worth the trip, crossing shallow water-filled arroyos and winding between high mesas.

00_2 road.jpg - 125kB

Along the way, we passed Santo Cristo del Camino.

00 cristo del camino.jpg - 180kB

And spied a shrine in the rockface.

02 shrine.jpg - 177kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:46 PM

The arroyo has water all year round. From his perch on a cardón, a brilliant white grulla (crane) watched us pass by.

01 stork.jpg - 243kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:47 PM

About ten miles past San Javier, we reached Humberto’s ranch, a tidy and beautifully situated place. Humberto welcomes people to camp there, and he has shower buildings and a big palapa hangout space for visitors. Humberto can guide you to nearby cave paintings and the visita of La Presentación. He still ranches, but now makes his living primarily by guiding visitors. Some of the historic ruins do require guides—and it’s great to know them, glean from their knowledge, and support their livelihood.

03 Humberto ranch.jpg - 237kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:49 PM

It’s possible to walk the arroyo to the ruins, but because it was already late in the day, we climbed into Humberto’s truck—a workhorse if ever I’ve seen one. It was a great boulder-crawler.

04 truck.jpg - 109kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:52 PM

The first view of the ruins looks like a rockpile, with the main entrance now collapsed. The visita was abandoned in 1817, after disease had decimated the native population.

06 ruins first view.jpg - 190kB

The chapel contains two rooms—a space for the sanctuary and altar, and the back room most likely as a sacristy and living quarters for visiting priests. The inside wall is flush, with remnants of mortar and plaster still holding. There’s quite a bit of volcanic, pumice-like rock here—some of the larger stones are so porous that they hardly weigh anything. There’s a fragile arched doorway connecting the two rooms. I don’t expect that this arch will last much longer.

07 inside1.jpg - 232kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:54 PM

La Presentación was built in 1769 by the Franciscans, who had a very brief stay on the peninsula before handing off Baja to the Dominicans and hurrying to Alta California, which was much more fertile.

Arthur North passed this site in his travels in 1906. He writes, “Half a league further I discovered in a thicket of brush and cacti, just off the camino, the ruins of an extremely ancient mission. The iglesia had been well constructed of cut stone and its walls were still standing. Near at hand were the remains of other buildings made of rough stone; also, and in excellent state of preservation, a magnificent cistern 70 feet square and 6 feet in depth, and a large corral with high substantial stone walls.” North mistakenly thought the visita was the oldest mission church in the Californias.

15 A North photo.jpg - 51kB

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by gueribo]

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:56 PM

A comparison between 1950s and today:

comparison.jpg - 104kB

A view looking back toward the now-collapsed doorway.

08 doorway.jpg - 239kB

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by gueribo]

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:57 PM

The wall of the back room contains a niche for a bulto (saint statue).

09 niche.jpg - 240kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 09:59 PM

The arched doorway between the rooms.

11 inside toward arch.jpg - 218kB

Nearby, there’s a large troje (granary) for the storage of animal feed:

12 granary.jpg - 224kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 10:01 PM

And a sturdy stone corral. Pretty impressive for 250 years old.

12_2 corral.jpg - 134kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 10:03 PM

But the most impressive remnant is the pila (reservoir) that North mentions above. It’s 70x70 feet, and six feet deep. It reminds me of a swimming pool, with stone steps leading down.

pila.jpg - 242kB

Here’s Humberto beside one of the stairways (and spillway).

Humberto and spillway.jpg - 243kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 10:05 PM

Pottery shards lay all around the site. The place looks a bit trampled, as camping was once allowed around the chapel.

pottery.jpg - 241kB

On Google Earth, the site is quite visible. You can see the clear rectangular shape of the chapel, the nearby stone corral, and the distinct square of the pila.

16 google earth.jpg - 75kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 10:07 PM

We climbed back into Humberto’s truck and boulder-crawled our way back to the ranch, sharing a little joke: What’s the best car for driving rough Baja roads? Someone else’s car!

Humberto said that in the beginning, guiding visitors was exhausting. He speaks very little English, and felt a lot of anxiety trying to communicate. But now, he loves meeting visitors and sharing the history of this remote place. His nephew hopes to learn how to guide visitors, but Humberto says it’s not as easy as it looks—and he’s encouraging his nephew to stay in school.

Humberto asked, as we got ready to leave, that we tell folks that he loves visitors and is happy to show people the history of the area. His fee is quite reasonable, and well worth the journey.

13 H and truck.jpg - 241kB

gueribo - 2-1-2019 at 10:30 PM

Headed back to town, and sad to leave the backcountry loveliness. Tomorrow . . . Mulegé and the Prison Without Doors.

arroyo.jpg - 149kB

More on La Presentación...

David K - 2-1-2019 at 11:56 PM

Wonderful report and photos! Thank you, Gueribo!!!
==========================================================

It was a sad moment when a Nomad (Tehag) first reported that the doorway of this visita, so often photographed, had collapsed, around 2008.

I have a web page for La Presentación with 5 photos taken between 1906 and 2009: http://vivabaja.com/missions3/page3.html

Yes, Arthur North (Mother of California, c1908 & Camp and Camino in Lower California, c1910) was here in 1906 and thought it was so elaborate it must have been the first location for Mission San Javier... which really was 5 miles north of the final location (today's Rancho Viejo, with no ruins to see).

Following a post on Nomad, 'Tehag' sent me his photos taken in 2008, and they are added to this thread with the older photos, some of which Gueribo showed us above: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37068

fishbuck - 2-2-2019 at 01:10 AM

That is very cool. Way out there Baja.

4x4abc - 2-2-2019 at 11:28 AM

thank you for making me revisit La Presentacion
in the process I discovered something new
something so revolutionary that it needs a separate book

TMW - 2-2-2019 at 11:54 AM

More excellent stuff from the back country. Thanks

David K - 2-8-2019 at 02:01 PM

See La Presentación on the Lower California Guidebook map (1962):

advrider - 2-8-2019 at 10:25 PM

Another amazing trip report!

gueribo - 7-1-2019 at 10:54 AM

Bumping this up to add one more photo of La Presentación that I recently found. Marquis McDonald c. 1950:

McDonald c 1950 05.jpg - 143kB

4x4abc - 7-1-2019 at 12:41 PM

if anyone is going to see La Presentacion in the near future - I recently found what looks like a large man made structure (maybe a Muralla) between the church and the Attoyo
go check it out for us - please

Presentacion.jpg - 201kB

David K - 7-1-2019 at 02:34 PM

A canal maybe?

Gueribo, great find on the McDonald photo from 1950. In his book, he only shows the outside photo. He and his war buddy, traveling in an open-air Willys-Jeep (MB or CJ-2A) for the better part of a year in Baja just to see and photograph every mission site.

David K - 7-1-2019 at 02:54 PM

185 (1949-1950) photos from Marquis McDonald: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/search?f%5Bcollection_sim%5D%5B%...

Many are duplicates, many are mislabeled, some are reversed.

gueribo - 7-1-2019 at 05:22 PM

Here's a side-by-side--from 1950 and 2019. That poor little cholla in the doorway chose the wrong place to grow!

Presentacion side by side_2.jpg - 148kB

David K - 7-3-2019 at 03:45 PM

Thanks for the side by side.
We live in a time of transition... in our generation and one or two before, we see intact historic monuments crumble from lack of maintenance, repairs, and maybe lack of interest.
Our photographs and those taken before we traveled the peninsula are the only preservation these ignored sites get.
Thanks go to the authors of Baja travel guides and travel adventures of the past that we got to learn about these sites and where they are.

shari - 7-4-2019 at 08:06 AM

thanks for sharing this wonderful gem with us...these are the Baja places that more people should see and experience.

David K - 7-4-2019 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
thanks for sharing this wonderful gem with us...these are the Baja places that more people should see and experience.

I so agree... Baja is many things and fishing and surfing are not the only draw of the peninsula. A few of us like to see places in this harsh land where people tried to live, hundreds and thousands of years ago. The old mines, Spanish missions, Indian cave art, are so numerous it boggles the mind how it all is so concentrated on this long narrow finger of land!

[Edited on 7-4-2019 by David K]

Nikno - 10-3-2019 at 11:17 AM

Harald, you are right!

I was at La Presentación last week and there is a giant dike about 300 meters (~1,000 feet) long and about 2.5 meters (~7.5 feet) high that runs between the arroyo and the visita site. Humberto said it was ordered built by the missionaries in order to protect the chapel and the fields during flash floods. He said there are records somewhere that discuss the building of the muralla and that it was built in 2 years. He and I both agreed that it would have been a Herculean task for the natives to build this wall. The boulders are huge and some split perfectly in half to make the wall.

I encourage everyone who visits to hire Humberto as a guide. He is great and very knowledgeable. He is the de facto caretaker for this site and he makes sure it is kept clean and not vandalized. He charged only 200 pesos for the tour (I gave him 500). He was very nice and gracious. I look forward to going back and having him show me the cave paintings in the area.

Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg - 168kBWebp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg - 186kB

David K - 10-3-2019 at 11:29 AM

Awesome!

geraldalexander7 - 12-28-2020 at 09:54 PM

Does anyone have contact info for Humberto?