BajaNomad

Super Bowl

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 10:04 AM

The Rams stand a chance if the Refs stay out of it...

Bad Calls add Spice

MrBillM - 2-3-2019 at 10:18 AM

Bloopers and controversy breeding outrage and bitterness make it more interesting.

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Bloopers and controversy breeding outrage and bitterness make it more interesting.

No, the refs need to stay out of it and just let them play good ol fashioned football.

OK

MrBillM - 2-3-2019 at 10:41 AM

To each their own.

I suppose that IF you're actually going to watch the game, you "might" think that way.

I guess.

Being one who doesn't, what I see on the news afterwards are the Highlights and the errors. The latter are usually far more entertaining.

GO Patriots.

BTW, you don't REALLY mean that the officials should stay out of it, do you ?

After all, missed calls often affect the game more than bad calls. That was certainly true in the last L.A. game.

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 11:03 AM

I mean the Refs need to just let them play old fashioned football, stay out of it unless it's a blatant foul. We all know Brady is the NFL's darling and it has showed over the years with how the refs have protected him. Is a great QB, yes, if he wasn't shown the protection from the refs that many others aren't his win/loss ratio would not be what it is.

wilderone - 2-3-2019 at 12:05 PM

What I think might happen is uber-vigilant refereeing, given the outrage over the no-call, and that ref clearly shooing away another ref who wanted to intervene (what was that all about). If they want their job they'll referee without prejudice for this game, because millions will be watching. And if Brady, et al have any backroom deals with the refs, maybe they're off now. Brady and Belichick are cheaters as we all know.

[Edited on 2-3-2019 by wilderone]

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
What I think might happen is uber-vigilant refereeing, given the outrage over the no-call, and that ref clearly shooing away another ref who wanted to intervene (what was that all about). If they want their job they'll referee without prejudice for this game, because millions will be watching. And if Brady, et al have any backroom deals with the refs, maybe they're off now. Brady and Belichick are cheaters as we all know.

[Edited on 2-3-2019 by wilderone]

Well said.

Hook - 2-3-2019 at 01:54 PM

The nature of replay in the last two minutes means that it is very difficult to simply "let them play" anymore. The officials probably will be overly cautious, and err on the side of throwing a flag; after the flagrant no-call of the NFC championship game.

If this game is close, take note of how every single line call, pass reception, ball spot will initiate a 1-3 minute replay delay in the pace of the game. Not good for the end-game excitement, my waist line nor my liver!!

This is the new Deflate Gate. All the excitement escapes like a released balloon, at each stoppage.

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
The nature of replay in the last two minutes means that it is very difficult to simply "let them play" anymore. The officials probably will be overly cautious, and err on the side of throwing a flag; after the flagrant no-call of the NFC championship game.

If this game is close, take note of how every single line call, pass reception, ball spot will initiate a 1-3 minute replay delay in the pace of the game. Not good for the end-game excitement, my waist line nor my liver!!

This is the new Deflate Gate. All the excitement escapes like a released balloon, at each stoppage.

Exactly... Keep in mind the advertisers will be loving it also!

BajaMama - 2-3-2019 at 03:25 PM

Football game? I thought it was showcase of the best commercials.

thebajarunner - 2-3-2019 at 03:51 PM

Go Niners!!

Pacifico - 2-3-2019 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Yes! Usually better than the game itself...

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

At times it is but I am hoping for a good one!

Pacifico - 2-3-2019 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Agreed! I hope the Rams can pull it off!

David K - 2-3-2019 at 04:06 PM

OK, back from the store with the tortilla chips, 5-layer dip, and we already have a fridge full of Tecate Light!

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Agreed! I hope the Rams can pull it off!

They can if the refs stay out of it!

Insipid Bowl

thebajarunner - 2-3-2019 at 05:59 PM

People actually paid to see this???

Ads suck too...

TMW - 2-3-2019 at 06:04 PM

Not many of us could afford a ticket and the cost of getting there etc. Frankly I'd rather watch it on TV.

BornFisher - 2-3-2019 at 08:15 PM

Time to break out the "Old Guys Rule" t-shirt!!

bajabuddha - 2-3-2019 at 08:21 PM

Unequivocally the worst Stupor Bowl I have ever watched. The only one worse was the Donkeys against the then Dallas dynasty (79 season, stupor bowl Jan 20th '80 where I lost my beard an moustache on a bet because Craig Morton told me at half time they'd come out and play DENVER football....... and CHOKED BIGTIME. I WAS SHAVING THE END OF THE 3RD QUARTER !!! {and haven't forgiven them since!})

Half time performance equals the game.

Blahhh. :barf:

Cliffy - 2-3-2019 at 08:43 PM

Aussie rules football. To tough for the American players

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Unequivocally the worst Stupor Bowl I have ever watched. The only one worse was the Donkeys against the then Dallas dynasty (79 season, stupor bowl Jan 20th '80 where I lost my beard an moustache on a bet because Craig Morton told me at half time they'd come out and play DENVER football....... and CHOKED BIGTIME. I WAS SHAVING THE END OF THE 3RD QUARTER !!! {and haven't forgiven them since!})

Agreed. About the most boring SB I've watched. Not good.

Hook - 2-3-2019 at 09:00 PM

I seem to remember one real turkey where Garo Yepremian figured into a botched field goal attempt that led to a Redskin touchdown that made it somewhat close. But even that game had three TDs. 14-7 Dolphins.

Believe this was the lowest scoring Super Bowl ever.

Lee - 2-3-2019 at 09:11 PM

Gave up at half time. Saw the writing on the field goal post.

elgatoloco - 2-3-2019 at 09:18 PM

It was not the score fest we had hoped for. Experience counts in the big games. Rams were too young to pull it off. There is always next year. :saint::cool:

Good (Not Great) Result

MrBillM - 2-3-2019 at 09:39 PM

Good in that the Patriots winning irritates so many people outside of New England and (maybe) more than a few there, too.

Especially those who obsessively hate Tom Brady.

Not Great in that it appears there was a lack of controversy for the media and the losing fans to chew on. Watching the L.A. news, even those interviewed among the diehard L.A. fans that attended seemed listless in their disappointment.

willardguy - 2-3-2019 at 10:53 PM

uh....congratulations Ricky Fowler!:coolup:

David K - 2-4-2019 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Pretty much agree on that... A 4th quarter game, but there was a glimmer of hope for L.A. to pull it off. The commercials were really sub-par, too... but I didn't see them all. The Bud Lite/ Game of Thrones combo commercial was pretty weird going from funny to gory. I guess the Dog/Human show one was good and the one where all the old players were playing around the tall cake in the banquet room were both ok.

Do you remember the Chargers/49ers Superbowl of 1995(?)... that was also a pretty lame game.

thebajarunner - 2-4-2019 at 09:50 AM

Pretty much agree on that... A 4th quarter game, but there was a glimmer of hope for L.A. to pull it off. The commercials were really sub-par, too... but I didn't see them all. The Bud Lite/ Game of Thrones combo commercial was pretty weird going from funny to gory. I guess the Dog/Human show one was good and the one where all the old players were playing around the tall cake in the banquet room were both ok.

Do you remember the Chargers/49ers Superbowl of 1995(?)... that was also a pretty lame game.[/rquote]

Actually it was a great game, cuz Niners won it....:):)

And yeah, definitely a Ricky Fowler Day for sure!!
That was a highlight of an otherwise bleak day

ncampion - 2-4-2019 at 10:03 AM

Here's the best commercial that didn't make the cut.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1092202281284628482

elgatoloco - 2-4-2019 at 11:05 AM

:cool:

weebray - 2-4-2019 at 11:09 AM

Went to the beach yesterday - it was spectacular. I'm sure you wanted to know.

BajaBlanca - 2-4-2019 at 11:34 AM

It was a great excuse for us foreigners to get together at the Cabañas Restaurant! We were only missing 4 of the of us who were in town/live here!

This was the first year ever that we were able to watch the game and hear it in English - very cool.

I must admit that I am not into football, but I know it is such a big part of our society, so I embrace the game, the day, the event.

fishbuck - 2-4-2019 at 01:46 PM

It's become a big cultural event. Maybe the biggest now. It is fun to be part of the buzz that surrounds it.
If you like football it was a very good game. If you like football parties I'm sure it was boring.
There weren't many oportunities for the palm palm girls (at parties) to shake their... palms.
That is also part of football.:coolup:

wilderone - 2-5-2019 at 09:20 AM

"palm palm girls"
Huh? However, didn't see any Pom Pom girls (cheerleaders we call them here on Earth) for either team. And it was not a very good game if you like football. Greatest game in 2018 was the Chiefs/Rams game - 54 - 51. Now THAT was a great game. SuperBowl Rams didn’t look like the same team.

Those Good Old Pom Pom Days

MrBillM - 2-5-2019 at 10:14 AM

There's no question that scantly-clad young Bon Bons shaking their Chi-Chis (and Bums) would have provided the most pleasing action in the stadium.

del mar - 2-5-2019 at 10:23 AM

so what do the Rams do? bust out the first ever male cheerleaders in NFL history! really?:(

elgatoloco - 2-5-2019 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"palm palm girls"
Huh? However, didn't see any Pom Pom girls (cheerleaders we call them here on Earth) for either team. And it was not a very good game if you like football. Greatest game in 2018 was the Chiefs/Rams game - 54 - 51. Now THAT was a great game. SuperBowl Rams didn’t look like the same team.

The Chiefs game was the best NFL game I ever attended. I will spend the off season regaling in the highlights of that one and forgetting the debacle that was last Sunday. :dudette::saint:

elgatoloco - 2-5-2019 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
so what do the Rams do? bust out the first ever male cheerleaders in NFL history! really?:(

Its 2019 bro. Those guys oooze talent. :dudette::saint::biggrin:

Poll the Fans ?

MrBillM - 2-5-2019 at 11:17 AM

Male v. Female ?

Hetero v. Homo ?

Structure accordingly ?