BajaNomad

PITER Bahia Tortugas

4x4abc - 2-5-2019 at 09:04 PM

does the name PITER have any significance in Bahia Tortugas?
trying to solve one of many Baja mysteries

David K - 2-6-2019 at 07:36 AM

Harald, can you give us some more data... like what time period in history and what is the event or activity... is 'Piter' a German or other spelling of Peter?

motoged - 2-6-2019 at 09:45 AM

I have been spending a bit of time in and around Bahia Tortugas lately....and would like to learn a bit more about the community/area.

Yes, Piter, is another way of spelling "Peter".....

The general area of the "tip of the horn"offers a lot of varied terrain and exploring. Another mystery for me is why do most folks (visitors) claim to feel an unwelcoming/unfriendly vibe when in Tortugas? I have tried to find a redeeming feature of the town....and it seems to be in the terrain more than the acceptance of outsiders.

Ahhhh, the mysteries of Bahia Tortugas.....maybe Piter knows;)

I will be testing the impression some more over the next few weeks.....Punta Quebrada was WAY more welcoming....lobster in exchange for "plastics" lures...

David K - 2-6-2019 at 10:05 AM

Deliverance?

AKgringo - 2-6-2019 at 10:20 AM

"Another mystery for me is why do most folks (visitors) claim to feel an unwelcoming/unfriendly vibe when in Tortugas?" (quote)

Ged, did you hear a mariachi version of Dueling Banjos?

4x4abc - 2-6-2019 at 10:55 AM

the letters PITER appear in the hills behind Bahia Tortugas (Cerro de la Cruz)
one of the many spots where people felt compelled to write something on a mountain side - a geoglyph of sorts
Baja has about 50 of them

largest one are the 2 whales south of the Bahia San Ignacio airstrip

motoged - 2-6-2019 at 11:25 AM

No banjo mariachis, Gary.....I did not know that was your kind of music :biggrin:

Quebrada = ravine

Quebrado = broken

All my map/research calls it Quebrada....which makes sense since it is a large ravine ....

Harald: I dunno :coolup:

chippy - 2-6-2019 at 12:53 PM

Could this be Piter?
https://www.reforma.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.a...

David K - 2-6-2019 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
No banjo mariachis, Gary.....I did not know that was your kind of music :biggrin:

Quebrada = ravine

Quebrado = broken

All my map/research calls it Quebrada....which makes sense since it is a large ravine ....

Harald: I dunno :coolup:

Typically, the Baja Almanac uses Mexican Government Topos, but they have mistakes!??

4x4abc - 2-6-2019 at 03:01 PM

latest one I found

4x4abc - 2-6-2019 at 03:07 PM

how about Laguna Graffitti?

David K - 2-6-2019 at 04:36 PM

Looks like a volcano crater?

4x4abc - 2-6-2019 at 05:04 PM

good eye

David K - 2-7-2019 at 01:21 AM

;)

motoged - 2-7-2019 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
latest one I found

Harald,
I wasn't sure if you were referring to names/words on a map or what.... it seems your google -earthing as shown you some interesting stuff....that "bird" is so well done....AMAZING effort by the builders....great art.

Alien signpost?

AKgringo - 2-7-2019 at 10:17 AM

If only we had access to the X-files....the truth is out there! :wow:

David K - 2-7-2019 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If only we had access to the X-files....the truth is out there! :wow:

Speaking of X-files... have you been watching the new show, Project Bluebook? Starring Little Finger from Game of Thrones, it is very good!

4x4abc - 2-7-2019 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Harald,
I wasn't sure if you were referring to names/words on a map or what.... it seems your google -earthing as shown you some interesting stuff....that "bird" is so well done....AMAZING effort by the builders....great art.

Alien signpost?

the bird was done in 2015 - before that the laguna in the crater was the Laguna Graffitti

4x4abc - 2-7-2019 at 11:24 AM

I like the Ballenas

motoged - 2-7-2019 at 11:27 AM

My sombrero is off to those artists...:cool:

4x4abc - 2-7-2019 at 03:22 PM

Puerto San Luis Gozaga (the mission warehouse location) used to have an inscription on the hill.
It is gone now.
Anyone have knowledge or a picture of what it said?

bajaric - 2-7-2019 at 04:29 PM

Some sort of landmark for mariners?

I have seen some odd parallel lines in a couple of places; north of Ronoso, south of El Alamo, both in remote spots near old mining districts. I figure either some sort of prospecting or "cilantro" farming but not sure.

small ronoso trenches small3.png - 227kB

David K - 2-7-2019 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Puerto San Luis Gozaga (the mission warehouse location) used to have an inscription on the hill.
It is gone now.
Anyone have knowledge or a picture of what it said?

This Javier Cota guy has been using Howard Gulick's photos from the 50s and early 60s. I think without looking real long, that photo is either Papa Fernandez' or Okie Landing. By looking at the original Gulick Collection images you may get a better look at the name on the hill? The links (2) to the Gulick collection is in my website, www.vivabaja.com

Here is Gulick's warehouse photo, from the same period in time as that fish camp photo:

Here is Dr. Ritter's paper on the warehouse (it has another Gulick photo as well): https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/488b16_d6a1399d09974ddd9dd3b0...

You will see other new photos at the site in the same direction as the photo you posted and can see it is a different location.

Here is my photo of the warehouse in 2002:

That's Punta Willard by Papa Fernandez' camp in the background.

Papa Fernandez' Camp

David K - 2-7-2019 at 06:52 PM

The writing on that hill says" BAHIA SAN LUIS GONZAGA"

Here is the source picture and you can zoom in on it: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb18783597/zoom/0

The photo was taken on: 1960-11-25

Here's another view of the warehouse ruins with Alfonsina's area in the background: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb9694134p

A 1958 photo of where Alfonsina's will be built in a few years: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb7339163r

[Edited on 2-8-2019 by David K]

4x4abc - 2-7-2019 at 09:05 PM

good job David!

4x4abc - 2-7-2019 at 09:19 PM

here is the Gulick version of Laguna Graffitti: https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1502915r/zoom/0