BajaNomad

Mexican Beer pricing

HeyMulegeScott - 2-11-2019 at 01:41 PM

I've noticed some odd pricing on beer this trip. On Tecate, it's 10 cans for 110 pesos and Pacifico it's 8 cans for 89 pesos. Both seem to come in six packs you have to break up.

Bob and Susan - 2-11-2019 at 01:44 PM

cans cause cancer...always buy bottles...tastes way better too
: )

[Edited on 2-11-2019 by Bob and Susan]

sancho - 2-11-2019 at 02:20 PM

Back in the day, I don't like that phrase but use it anyway, there
we're true beer Depositos, beer only, no snacks, etc. Took your
empty carton, 20 bottles, got a full case back. Price was posted
on the wall, very little difference anywhere. '87 or so, a case was
just a bit under $3 dlls, $.13 a beer, miss those days

del mar - 2-11-2019 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
I've noticed some odd pricing on beer this trip. On Tecate, it's 10 cans for 110 pesos and Pacifico it's 8 cans for 89 pesos. Both seem to come in six packs you have to break up.

OXXO is busting out Tecate 14 for 129....

blackwolfmt - 2-11-2019 at 03:01 PM

Not bad we pay 57 cents per can on a 30 pack of Tecate in Rim country at Walmart:coolup:

Hook - 2-11-2019 at 03:38 PM

I really think Modelo and Tecate keep changing the way they package beer so that it confuses the mathematically challenged beer purchasers in Mexico. Coupled with beer pricing sales by the major retail outlets NOT OWNED BY THE BREWERIES, it can be difficult for those without a calculator to figure when the cheapest time to buy beer is. I often see supposed "sales" of beer in larger packaged quantities that are actually more expensive than smaller packages. Buying larger quantities of many things is sometimes more expensive (per unit) in Mexico.

I'll tell you one thing. The best deals on beer is almost always involving a sale at a major supermarket. Especially if it is simply the basic regular and light beers from both brew houses. Those sales absolutely destroy the pricing at the agencias, OXXO/Circle K, etc. I see 12 packs of these beers (in cans almost exclusively) for under 100 pesos, often. Same goes for Bud Light and Coors Light down here.

Almost never see decent sales on premium beer like Bohemia, Negra Modelo, Pacifico, etc.

Bubba - 2-11-2019 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Yup, I remember it too. Good times.

chippy - 2-12-2019 at 05:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Plus it was recycling at its best. Now everything (cans/bottles) gets chucked in the trash with just the cans getting picked out and recycled.

I seemed to notice the change when the Belgium company bought out Grupo Modelo.:mad:

Beer

jkruk - 2-12-2019 at 06:32 AM

Where has all the negro model gone?

chuckie - 2-12-2019 at 06:36 AM

Gone....Like the MC Cavvy.....

Hook - 2-12-2019 at 07:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
Where has all the negro model gone?

It IS becoming more rare. Our local Modelo outlet often doesnt have it. It is also one of the remaining holdouts for returnable bottles.

AKgringo - 2-12-2019 at 09:04 AM

I remember the first beers I bought in Mexico with twist off caps. They were stubby, barrel shaped bottles with a very tight cap, and had a recessed area in the bottom that was used to grip the caps of the other bottles.

Carta Blanca

thebajarunner - 2-12-2019 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I remember the first beers I bought in Mexico with twist off caps. They were stubby, barrel shaped bottles with a very tight cap, and had a recessed area in the bottom that was used to grip the caps of the other bottles.

Long gone, but not forgotten...
my favorite for many years

And glass vs. cans was debated here a couple years ago
The beer makers did a bunch of blind tests and it came up neutral,
much to my dismay since I always thought it was better out of the bottle.

tobias - 2-12-2019 at 09:54 AM

Flavor is subject to so many variables in your perception that it can make you doubt the assumptions you have about reality . If you go around blind tasting things you are going to be in for some very rude awakenings .
If you think beer tastes better out of the bottle , then it does.

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by tobias]

chippy - 2-12-2019 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Long gone, but not forgotten...
my favorite for many years

And glass vs. cans was debated here a couple years ago
The beer makers did a bunch of blind tests and it came up neutral,
much to my dismay since I always thought it was better out of the bottle.

The built in bottle opener or the beer (Carta Blanca)? We still get Carta Blanca in bottles and cans down here but no built in opener:(

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by chippy]

willardguy - 2-12-2019 at 10:57 AM

miller high life also had the bottom bottle opener in the 80's.....ripped off from carte blanca I bet. :D

David K - 2-12-2019 at 01:47 PM

Wasn't XXX (Tres equis) beer an early version of the bottle opener bottom?

Here's the can...

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by David K]

XXX.jpg - 25kB

AKgringo - 2-12-2019 at 02:00 PM

I am not aware of who brewed the beer in those stubby bottles, but I believe the label had Barrile in the name. If I remember correctly, the glass had a barrel pattern.

I last saw them in 1986, then had a thirteen year gap in my Mexico travels.

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by AKgringo]

chippy - 2-12-2019 at 03:48 PM

They still have Corona barrilitos down here. Hand grenades:biggrin:

https://birrapedia.com/cervezas/barrilito

willardguy - 2-12-2019 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
They still have Corona barrilitos down here. Hand grenades:biggrin:

https://birrapedia.com/cervezas/barrilito

at 3.4% a really good light beer and fun bottle that still requires an opener. I enjoy drinking out of bottles as much as the next guy but I hate carting the heavy trash up to the dumpster....Soriana has barrilito's in cans! (no opener required):D

blackwolfmt - 2-12-2019 at 04:40 PM

aaa.jpg - 12kB

Bubba - 2-12-2019 at 09:22 PM

I remember that also but not the beer. It wasn't Modelo was it?

Hook - 2-13-2019 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Carta Blanca was famous for those bottles.

Most of us remember the Quitapon bottles; supposedly the first non-returnable bottles of Mexican beer, according to this article I found. In fact, the article alludes to these bottles being the first-ever "twist-off" bottle caps in the world.

Back when I first started going to Mexico in the 70s, I drank mostly Carta Blanca and Superior in bottles. Both have apparently returned, but are not easy to find where I live. Carta Blanca Light is generally available in grocery stores and sometimes at OXXOs.........but Pacifico has become my most commonly drunk Mexican beer.

https://thebeerdaily.com/2013/05/08/carta-blanca-y-su-innova...

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by Hook]

Bubba - 2-13-2019 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Carta Blanca was famous for those bottles.

Most of us remember the Quitapon bottles; supposedly the first non-returnable bottles of Mexican beer, according to this article I found. In fact, the article alludes to these bottles being the first-ever "twist-off" bottle caps in the world.

Back when I first started going to Mexico in the 70s, I drank mostly Carta Blanca and Superior in bottles. Both have apparently returned, but are not easy to find where I live. Carta Blanca Light is generally available in grocery stores and sometimes at OXXOs.........but Pacifico has become my most commonly drunk Mexican beer.

https://thebeerdaily.com/2013/05/08/carta-blanca-y-su-innova...

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by Hook]

Good stuff, thanks for the info, I just learned something new.

John Harper - 2-13-2019 at 08:24 AM

I recall Carta Blanca bottles with the opener, perhaps even Bohemia. I think we used to buy Bohemia on our early surf trips back in the mid-'70's. I don't think I've had either in years, mostly Pacifico now.

John

del mar - 2-13-2019 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
miller high life also had the bottom bottle opener in the 80's.....ripped off from carte blanca I bet. :D

no recall.....must have not lasted too long or maybe not available everywhere? maybe just a canadian thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWTV8_roww

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by del mar]

David K - 2-13-2019 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

no recall.....must have not lasted too long or maybe not available everywhere? maybe just a canadian thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWTV8_roww

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by del mar]

HOT TIMES!
Don't remember that ad or drinking those bottles of Miller... but it was a lot hotter in the past, for sure! In 1987, I was 30 and my wife and I would put a kiddy pool in our carport for us and our golden retriever to cool off in, near Escondido. I will so be glad when this cooling trend ends!