Cry me an atmospheric river

bajaric - 2-13-2019 at 06:52 PM

Just made that up!
Supposed to be big rains on the way
for California and Northern Baja

blackwolfmt - 2-13-2019 at 06:57 PM

let it rain and snow:D

John Harper - 2-13-2019 at 07:26 PM

The local forecasts have been (surprisingly) pretty accurate as far as rainfall this year, at least compared to my rain gauge. It's great to see a wet season, we don't get nearly enough.

John

caj13 - 2-13-2019 at 07:40 PM

gunna be a big Mexican trout year John, wish I had a clear schedule to head down with you over spring break, but maybe we can figure out something, I think we need to get a few more miles up that drainage - I've got a plan!

John Harper - 2-13-2019 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
gunna be a big Mexican trout year John, wish I had a clear schedule to head down with you over spring break, but maybe we can figure out something, I think we need to get a few more miles up that drainage - I've got a plan!

I'm jonesing to get out there, not free until April 6.

John

BajaTed - 2-13-2019 at 09:09 PM

Feb. 26th 1969 was the culmination of a real wet February, Three people died in OC up in Silverado Canyon including a classmate. Will never forget it

John Harper - 2-14-2019 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Feb. 26th 1969 was the culmination of a real wet February, Three people died in OC up in Silverado Canyon including a classmate. Will never forget it

I lived in Fillmore. The two bridges out to our house got washed out, some Boy Scouts were killed up the Sespe River trying to cross on a bulldozer. We had no power or water for two weeks, and had to cross over the raging river on a huge I beam to get to the school bus. There is no way they would allow children to do that today, I still remember the raging brown Sespe below me. That was one hell of a winter.

I have 1.4" in my rain gauge this morning in Carlsbad. Pretty good.

John

[Edited on 2-14-2019 by John Harper]

BajaBlanca - 2-14-2019 at 09:06 AM

bajaric - that is an excellent title!

Being Washed away ....................

MrBillM - 2-14-2019 at 10:22 AM

....................and down the drain, were they heard to say "Well, we needed the rain " ?

A little further north...(central Sierras)

AKgringo - 2-14-2019 at 11:08 AM

I don't have a rain gauge, but the basement where I am staying just flooded! That usually means three or four inches per day.

There are some flooded roads in lower areas, but the main impact is from the wind. A lot of trees went down over a wide area, taking out power lines, cars and structures!

There have even been reports of thunder and lightning snow storms at higher elevations. That is very rare!

Hook - 2-14-2019 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

I remember that, too, and lost a classmate from jr high school, though I was already in HS when it happened. I didnt recall her in high school at all.

The person I knew was a girl. Cant remember her name, yet I can see her in my mind. Was it maybe a Helen? I went to MVHS.

Weren't they killed as a result of the roof collapsing on the post office building they were in?

Yeah, living in SoCal for so long, the winter of 69-70 was still the rainiest I can RECALL. Statistically, it may not have been. A very cold winter, too. Lots of snow on Saddleback.

[Edited on 2-14-2019 by Hook]

Mexitron - 2-14-2019 at 12:36 PM

1969 was the grittiest, gnarliest winter though it wasn't the highest precip on record, just that it all fell in a six week period. Silverado, Tujunga, Topanga, Laguna Canyons all a mess.

Hook - 2-14-2019 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
1969 was the grittiest, gnarliest winter though it wasn't the highest precip on record, just that it all fell in a six week period. Silverado, Tujunga, Topanga, Laguna Canyons all a mess.

I think the floods coming out of Laguna Canyon spelled the end of the Laguna boardwalk that I knew, as a kid. Of course, it was rebuilt......again. I seem to remember that the '69 floods may have finally taken out the stone lifeguard tower, too. Anyone remember? Russ?

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2019 at 02:17 PM

TJ airport closed due to rain.

I imagine some TJ neighborhoods flooded.

Raining cats n dogs here in east county san diego. Wind broke a couple big branches off my trees. Dogs all muddy.

BornFisher - 2-14-2019 at 02:35 PM

Lots of great video clips and info on the NWS San Diego twitter page---

https://twitter.com/NWSSanDiego

DanO - 2-14-2019 at 02:41 PM

TJ can get ugly in the rain. I was there some years ago during one of the worst rainstorms I've ever seen. Ave Internacional was under water and I was in the northbound border traffic that was diverted into TJ. At one point I recall watching a VW Bug in front of me get swept away in a flash flood that came in from a side street. Crazy.

AKgringo - 2-14-2019 at 02:50 PM

Sad to say, but I imagine tons of trash and other contaminates are headed to the beach right now!

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2019 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Sad to say, but I imagine tons of trash and other contaminates are headed to the beach right now!

Then the land will be clean! Yahoo!

Always look on the bright side of life!

David K - 2-14-2019 at 04:14 PM

Not Imperial Beach where the Tijuana River meets the ocean!

About as bad as the way they used to use arroyos for dumps around Baja towns, knowing that the next flash flood would take it all to the sea... as if that was a good thing! LOL

Mexitron - 2-14-2019 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

I think the floods coming out of Laguna Canyon spelled the end of the Laguna boardwalk that I knew, as a kid. Of course, it was rebuilt......again. I seem to remember that the '69 floods may have finally taken out the stone lifeguard tower, too. Anyone remember? Russ?

I remember a pretty amazing sandbar at Aliso, just saw it from the school bus, didn't surf yet but others were out there. Somewhere there's a pic of a guy surfing the wakes from semis in Laguna Canyon.

Washed Away

MrBillM - 2-15-2019 at 10:40 AM

There are isolated exceptions, of course, but the overwhelming majority of those who lose their lives in these storm-related floods are a result of bad decisions on their parts and should be remembered in that context.

Living in North Redondo Beach (182nd st.) during the '57-'58 storm season, our street was flooded from its west end into our front yard halfway up the block which included at its west end a large (100' x 100' or so) 10-15 feet deep fenced storm sump with a channel that extended behind our lots. A bit later, once the floodwater subsided enough to clear the street, three (sub ?) teens went under or over the fence to wade/swim in the sump. Which, prior to the flood had contained a substantial amount of growth. One made it out to go for help. The other two (entangled in the underwater growth) drowned.

The rest of us kids had a great time navigating the lake at our front doors. The night of the storm's greatest intensity, my father had driven up to Inglewood and picked up a duck-boat that my Grandmother's husband owned. It was a fun few days after the storm.

As an aside, during the remainder of the time that we lived there, no changes were made to the sump. At some point over the years, it has all been paved over for parking area usage by (I'm assuming) the adjacent school.

Currently, here in Yucca Valley, there was (so far ?) one death of a motorist who was swept away from floodwaters in a wash crossing a road. We've had quite a few over the years making that mistake.

bajaric - 2-15-2019 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
bajaric - that is an excellent title!

thanks,
btw Visiting your place is on my bucket list. I would like to have a look around the desert NE of there, seems like very remote area.

Well the storm here where I am in East San Diego was not really what I would call a gully washer, more of a wind event with a steady rain all day, couple of inches in the orange bucket. I understand further east was more intense nonetheless pretty good soaking this year around here.

The biggest storms I have seen here were back around 1982 (?) when I was in college at UCSD. It was much of a wave event as a rain event; just storm after storm pushing massive waves down from the Gulf of Alaska. The sand at Mission Beach, normally at the same level as the boardwalk, was all washed away and there was a 10' vertical drop down to the sandstone bedrock. Never have seen that since. An extreme example of the littoral effect where sand is pulled away by the large winter waves and returns in the summer.

[Edited on 2-15-2019 by bajaric]

The Good Bad Weather

MrBillM - 2-15-2019 at 02:50 PM

In one sense, this last (less intense) storm was (winds aside) just right !

For me.

Making it possible to pinpoint the exact spot of the worrisome, though tiny, overhead leak in my travel trailer made apparent by the previous storm.

NOW ..................... It's time to dry out and warm up.

Tomas Tierra - 2-15-2019 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

The biggest storms I have seen here were back around 1982 (?) when I was in college at UCSD. It was much of a wave event as a rain event; just storm after storm pushing massive waves down from the Gulf of Alaska. The sand at Mission Beach, normally at the same level as the boardwalk, was all washed away and there was a 10' vertical drop down to the sandstone bedrock. Never have seen that since. An extreme example of the littoral effect where sand is pulled away by the large winter waves and returns in the summer.

[Edited on 2-15-2019 by bajaric]

Back when you could have a few good storms without everyone screaming that the sky is falling