BajaNomad

Road to Punta San Jose after rain

Alluvial Van - 2-13-2019 at 11:00 PM

Hey there. Some friends and I were planning a trip to Punta San Jose this weekend but I'm not sure how the dirt road west of Santo Tomas would be after all the rain were supposed to get. I think it's nearly 3 inches in 2 days. This would be my first trip there so any input on road conditions is appreciated. Also, are there any streams that we'd have to drive through?

[Edited on 2-14-2019 by Alluvial Van]

David K - 2-14-2019 at 12:37 AM

What are you driving?
Not a good time with 3" falling in the next 24 hrs. (I would guess)!

Alluvial Van - 2-14-2019 at 09:40 AM

I have a 2wd van with BFG all terrains

David K - 2-14-2019 at 10:09 AM

NOPE... it will be tough enough in the mud with 4WD!
If you gotta go surf, maybe use the paved road to Ejido Eréndira then drive north along the coast to Coyote Cal's (Punta San Isidro) and on to Punta Cabras... mostly level graded road.

Tomas Tierra - 2-14-2019 at 10:15 AM

You may have problems before you gt to the dirt road with this kinda rain. Then up and over the hill in the mud will be a nightmare in 2wd

BFG's are a great start though!

TT

John Harper - 2-14-2019 at 10:28 AM

I've driven from Punta San Jose south to Erendira and then out to the highway. That stretch was pretty good. The road to PSJ from Santo Tomas is a lot of up and down through the coastal canyons. Probably not good in the mud with 2WD.

John

DanO - 2-14-2019 at 01:35 PM

Don't know what the specific conditions on that road are right now, but I can tell you in general that the road out to the coast to Puerto Santo Tomas, which is just north of the Santo Tomas-Punta San Jose road and covers similar terrain, is always a real mess after this kind of rainfall. Lots of washouts and mud. I'd think twice about going with 2WD.

JZ - 2-14-2019 at 02:47 PM

You wouldn't even make it in a 4x4.

hermosok123 - 2-14-2019 at 07:07 PM

If you are dead set on going this weekend the south road through Erindira would be better but by no means a sure thing. There is more rain forecasted for Sunday also. The Santo Thomas road can get gut slick when it rains this much.

Alluvial Van?

AKgringo - 2-14-2019 at 07:43 PM

Well by definition, alluvial is something that has been washed downstream and deposited. Perhaps that is your vans destiny?

Good luck with the water crossing if you decide to go that route!