BajaNomad

Los Cocos robbery

4x4abc - 2-16-2019 at 06:56 PM

I hear there was an armed robbery in Mulege (Playa Los Cocos) - Mexicans vs Americans

Any confirmation?

BajaBill74 - 2-16-2019 at 07:19 PM

I hope you heard a false report. I spend a week there every August. (I like heat.)

del mar - 2-16-2019 at 07:24 PM

just what you know, from TB

Warning - Armed robbery on beach near Mulege. Masked Mexican (old red Honda?, no plates) shoved gun into stomach of camper on Los Cocos, demanding ALL of his money (in Spanish I think). This is 3rd hand, but guy robbed said there were 2 people, and one with gun was about 5’10” and 180 pounds. It has been reported to police; not sure of outcome yet. This occurred about 6 am this morning, before daylight and robbers were approaching units with lights on in them.

Bubba - 2-16-2019 at 07:58 PM

Getting way to familiar. It been bad for awhile and continues to get worse.

JZ - 2-16-2019 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Based on what exactly? There is an incident once every long while, not much different than anywhere in the world. Or am I missing something?

drzura - 2-16-2019 at 09:18 PM

Could be that events are reported on this site and others more readily. Are they happening more often? Maybe, maybe not. But, it is not good to hear about boats and vehicles being stolen, homes broken in to, and armed robberies occurring, especially in regards to Americans who are visiting or residing in the country. It may keep people who have not visited Mexico from ever going. And this is exactly what happened to one of my buddies that I wanted to bring on a fishing trip; he backed out last minute due to the violence reported in the news.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Based on what exactly? There is an incident once every long while, not much different than anywhere in the world. Or am I missing something?

JZ - 2-16-2019 at 09:22 PM

Your buddy sounds like is a p#ssy. Find a new one.

[Edited on 2-17-2019 by JZ]

drzura - 2-16-2019 at 09:30 PM

Nah.. not a p@ssy. He figured that he would rather spend his vacation hunting up in Alaska in the middle of nowhere rather than deal with the possibility of bs in Mexico. He's traveled the world to a lot more fuhked up countries for work. Plus, I have plenty of other buddies who fish with me down in Mexico. A lost opportunity for him, that's for sure.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Your buddy sounds like is a p#ssy. Find a new one.

[Edited on 2-17-2019 by JZ]

bajabuddha - 2-17-2019 at 08:28 AM

Boy howdy, that Jizzy is a real stud...... until it happens to him. Then we'll see who's the real gallina.

Glidergeek - 2-17-2019 at 09:15 AM

Ya I watched the news at 10 last night not a word about any hate, violence, killings, shootings, stabbings, car jackings.

LA is such a peaceful place...not

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2019 at 10:35 AM

It really isn't that crime isn't almost everywhere, it for sure is.

What seems frightening and quite different, is that foreigners are being targeted and the criminals have guns.

Most of my students who are in the scholarship program have been victims but none with guns. In the first year of college 2013, my student Alfonso was attacked as he left the ATM in La Paz. It was late at night and scared the beejeezus out of him. In Santa Rosalia, student Ramiro Andres had his computer (that we had donated to him) and his sister's computer (her own) stolen, as well as almost all their clothes. This was a couple years ago and happened while they were on vacation. The last robbery was about 6 months ago when thieves stole everything out of Dayr's house, also in La Paz.

Like I said, crime happens everywhere but seems to me that for the first time, foreigners are being viciously and specifically targeted.

BajaTed - 2-17-2019 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

What seems frightening and quite different, is that foreigners are being targeted and the criminals have guns.

Most of my students who are in the scholarship program have been victims but none with guns. In the first year of college 2013, my student Alfonso was attacked as he left the ATM in La Paz. It was late at night and scared the beejeezus out of him. In Santa Rosalia, student Ramiro Andres had his computer (that we had donated to him) and his sister's computer (her own) stolen, as well as almost all their clothes. This was a couple years ago and happened while they were on vacation. The last robbery was about 6 months ago when thieves stole everything out of Dayr's house, also in La Paz.

Like I said, crime happens everywhere but seems to me that for the first time, foreigners are being viciously and specifically targeted.

If you are a desperate tweaker who needs more"kristal" to slow down the demons chasing him, pity the persons or locale in his recent past who appeared vulnerable or disconnected from his chaos.
Welcome to the hood.
It used to only happen in certain locations, now it is a more random occurrence outside of the hood. Were moving up the distribution curve of chaos.

tobias - 2-17-2019 at 11:24 AM

In my little town in the states, we have several murders a year, a few armed robberies and a rape or two. Some of the murders have been horrific in nature and are reported endlessly in the local paper. Pretty sure the whole county is less than 35 thousand and I never feel unsafe.
How many people are in all of baja?
I know many people who worry the children in their family might fall victim to a school shooting. This to me seems so unlikely that its an irrational fear even though there are far more this decade than any previous.
All I am saying is lets do some math at some point and figure out just how substantial the risks are.

yumawill - 2-17-2019 at 01:31 PM

Arizona, my beloved state. Is an "open carry" state. Got a gun? pack it. Armed criminals don't last long here. If you're assaulted here you better be quick or you may not get off a round. Your neighbor/ fellow shopper will beat you to it.
About the only places you're forbidden to carry is government buildings. I've always wondered about that. Hmmmm?
Criminals just don't feel safe here. So sad.

chuckie - 2-17-2019 at 05:45 PM

Is that the same Arizona I winter in? Last year in the area around quartzite,there were so many thefts, that the police couldn't even handle them all....They plead for more officers and money..

DaliDali - 2-17-2019 at 06:42 PM

Those enjoying the crisp winter deserts around Quartzite are not AZ'ers are they?

chuckie - 2-17-2019 at 07:26 PM

Who would know or care?

Packing Heat in AZ

MrBillM - 2-17-2019 at 08:00 PM

Better than Open Carry ..............

Arizona is a Constitutional Carry state.

" ......... In Arizona, anyone who is not prohibited from owning a firearm and is at least 21 years old can carry a concealed weapon without a permit as of July 29, 2010. ... Renewing a permit requires an application and criminal background check. Arizona recognizes all valid out-of-state carry permits........"

norte - 2-17-2019 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
Arizona, my beloved state. Is an "open carry" state. Got a gun? pack it. Armed criminals don't last long here. If you're assaulted here you better be quick or you may not get off a round. Your neighbor/ fellow shopper will beat you to it.
About the only places you're forbidden to carry is government buildings. I've always wondered about that. Hmmmm?
Criminals just don't feel safe here. So sad.

Gabriel Giffords says you are full of BS.

norte - 2-17-2019 at 08:34 PM

Hmmmm.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/state...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/fact-check/201...

bajabuddha - 2-17-2019 at 10:28 PM

What this boils down to is: if i'm boondocking on the beach I'd certainly want to know ASAP if this kind of chit goes down in my area. I would appreciate the poster and the info being spread to alert me of how/when/who/what went down, and also alert all my fellow campers to be alert and maybe set up some kind of response/action in case of further incursions.

Yes, crime happens. Yes, it's everywhere. Yes, it's getting worse. Gringo touristas are becoming targeted now. All valid points, but the most important thing here is communication, awareness, and preparedness.

Any questions? :?:

GLNaeve - 2-18-2019 at 10:39 AM

Los Cocos-
One small curvy road in, sometimes under water from High tide, Playa Escondido just north run by a good camp manager, Manuelito, Playa el Burro south...……….
Can ones substantiate this "armed robbery" really happened..?

chuckie - 2-18-2019 at 11:12 AM

Well,yeah...I seen it on the internet!

BajaBill74 - 2-18-2019 at 09:16 PM

Back to the original post, two people have posted about it. One said he heard about it, the other said he got it third hand.

Does anyone else know of a report on this?

GLNaeve - 2-19-2019 at 05:53 PM

With no real substantiation of the facts, this sound just like another Baja story....

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2019 at 10:02 PM

Ostriches!
Bunch of you doubters are big flightless birds sticking your balding gray heads in burning hot sand wishing the truth to go away!

caj13 - 2-20-2019 at 07:19 AM

Forum Foul! I call FORUM FOUL!
posting actual facts and information that contradicts a "well respected" forum members post is not allowed in this forum!

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Hmmmm.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/state...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/fact-check/201...

watizname - 2-20-2019 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Well,yeah...I seen it on the internet!
:

yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Mulege Canuck - 3-5-2019 at 06:14 PM

Ok. It did happen. Just talked with a person who lives there on the beach. The guy had a pistol. He robbed one person then took off. Don’t ask me for names, pictures, etc.

Still a great place to spend the winter. Sheet happens I guess.

fishbuck - 3-5-2019 at 06:39 PM

Thanks for the report. An informed Baja Nomad is a safer Baja Nomad.

azucena - 3-7-2019 at 03:42 PM

How sad. I camped there for 15 years back in the 80s , 90s, and still stop on my way south.
Any new info?

JoeJustJoe - 3-7-2019 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

BajaBlanca wrote: "What seems frightening and quite different, is that foreigners are being targeted and the criminals have guns."

Baja Blanca, there is no evidence at the US State Department or anywhere that foreigners are being targeted in Mexico.

What there is a rise in unsubstantiated 3rd party reports, on "Baja forums, and Baja group sites, about alleged robberies, of sometimes foreigners, sometimes Mexicans, and sometimes they don't list the alleged victim's race or ethnicity, but for sure the natives here get really alarmed if it's a white American/Canadian victim.

Yes, criminal in Mexico have guns now. I miss the good ol' days, when in Mexico, I only had to worry about a choke hold, because the criminals were too scared to use guns or knives in case they got caught.

I blame the US lax gun laws for the rise in guns in Mexico, even among non-cartel criminals.

hermosok123 - 3-7-2019 at 04:58 PM

Wasn't this Joe who refuted and questioned the robbery at Pt San Carlos just the other day? When was the last time you boon docked it Joe? You are one of the reasons BN folks don't comment on here anymore. I suppose you question the validity of theft at the San Ignacio checkpoint. Wait, no photos? Need to come up with a new shtick. Could be some INM deal, spin that Joe.

Bubba - 3-7-2019 at 05:29 PM

I blame the US lax gun laws for the rise in guns in Mexico, even among non-cartel criminals. [/rquote]

You really are out of touch... Not sure what you're on but it is absolutely scary. I will check back in a few days for your 8 paragraph response since you have nothing better to do with your life than live on this website... Quite sad actually..

DaliDali - 3-7-2019 at 05:40 PM

I blame the US lax gun laws for the rise in guns in Mexico, even among non-cartel criminals. [/rquote]

You really are out of touch... Not sure what you're on but it is absolutely scary. I will check back in a few days for your 8 paragraph response since you have nothing better to do with your life than live on this website... Quite sad actually..

The guns.......Eric Holder, famous for being the first AG held in contempt of Congress...

Fast and Furious.......using straw men to purchase guns in Yuma and take them to Mexico..
And at least one of those guns, made it back to the border region by an illegal alien criminal......and shot to death BP agent Brian Terry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

[Edited on 3-8-2019 by DaliDali]

JoeJustJoe - 3-7-2019 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
Wasn't this Joe who refuted and questioned the robbery at Pt San Carlos just the other day? When was the last time you boon docked it Joe? You are one of the reasons BN folks don't comment on here anymore. I suppose you question the validity of theft at the San Ignacio checkpoint. Wait, no photos? Need to come up with a new shtick. Could be some INM deal, spin that Joe.

Yes, I'm one of the few around here who doesn't believe everything he reads on the internet, however you are free to believe whatever you want.

I usually don't call BS on a report, and just say I don't know if something happened or not, and usually I like to see reports substantiating the alleged crimes or homicides, especially if it's from a 3rd party. Unknown to most people the local Mexican press, does cover local crimes and homicides pretty well, it's just the US press doesn't always pick it up, unless it's really big news.

What will catch my attention the most is when a first time member, makes a crime report that's over-the-top, and sometimes the report defy belief and in some cases their stories defy forensic science, and they don't make themselves available to be questioned over their story.

I believe instead of coming to travel boards, and group Facebook sites, these alleged victims, should follow the advise of the US Department of State, where they may actually get real help and it will help to warn others, but don't expect the Ministerio Público or consulate to automatically believe their report without some kind of evidence.

From the US Department of State:

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of crime should contact the local authorities to file a Mexican police report before departing Mexico. In most instances, victims of crime will file reports with the Ministerio Público (equivalent to the office of public prosecutor or district attorney in the United States) and not with police first responders. U.S. citizens should also inform the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate or consular agency. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

DaliDali - 3-8-2019 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

It only backed fired, when white American, Brian Terry, was killed. Notice how you rarely hear about the Hispanic Federal agents were also killed, due to 'Fast and Furious."

What are their names?

JoeJustJoe - 3-8-2019 at 06:21 PM

The names are listed below:

While Agent Terry epitomizes those whom Fast and Furious has harmed, he is not its sole casualty.

U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agent Jaime Zapata, 32, was shot mortally in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Members of Los Zetas drug gang also ambushed ICE Agent Victor Avila, although not fatally. The assault on Feb. 15, 2011, involved a rifle purchased in Dallas in another Obama administration “gunwalking” escapade.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/10/mexican-vic...