BajaNomad

Road coditions from San Felipe to Bahia de Los Angeles

roldanojr - 2-18-2019 at 07:30 PM

Does some one drive lately from San Felipe to Bahia de los Angeles? How is the road conditions?

I'm planing to go to Gerrero Negro, whale watching on March, which one is the best option Pacific road or Cortez road?

I really appreciate your answer and any advise you can share me.

Thank you

advrider - 2-18-2019 at 08:22 PM

Drove it over Christmas pulling a tent trailer. Slow and bumpy, lots of bypasses for the washed out bridges. Just give yourself eight hours from SF and you will be fine, it won't take that long but that's what we planed for. I still think its better then going down the other way, it's more of an adventure.

Bajazly - 2-19-2019 at 11:17 AM

I drove it down and back in the last week. Pot holes and some detours but fine. All the road destruction is pretty well marked but sometimes it is right around the corner and you don't see it until you're on it. Not many of those and still way better than the other side.

The dirt south of Bahia is good too. They are doing a lot of work in the vados replacing the concrete.

Alm - 2-21-2019 at 11:44 PM

"The best option" depends on your criteria of the "best". Hwy 1 is easier on a car, Hwy 5 is shorter. Time on the road is about the same. Usual warning applies to either route - no traveling after dark.

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2019 at 08:33 AM

I ran it yesterday and the day before. Bypasses are clearly marked, although difficult to locate after dark. Drive cautiously.:!:

Laguna Chapala Is now a lake!