BajaNomad

Badgers while out motorcycle riding

Fatboy - 2-25-2019 at 01:15 PM

I was out for a short Dual Sport ride around the Black Rock desert when I came across two badgers.

One ran off right away which I would expect, but this one stayed and even bluffed charged a few times.

{Test of video posting}

David K - 2-25-2019 at 01:22 PM

Very cool!

bajabuddha - 2-25-2019 at 01:25 PM

Once as a teen when out to pop a cartridge at a partridge (pheasant hunting) we watched another hunter's bird dog confront a badger; by the time the hunter could run to the dog it was toast; he shot the dog, then shot the badger. The moose, bear and badger get a very wide birth in my world. Ornery Li'l scudders.

Fatboy - 2-25-2019 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Once as a teen when out to pop a cartridge at a partridge (pheasant hunting) we watched another hunter's bird dog confront a badger; by the time the hunter could run to the dog it was toast; he shot the dog, then shot the badger. The moose, bear and badger get a very wide birth in my world. Ornery Li'l scudders.

So sad, spent a lot of time as a teenager running raccoons with dogs and it was always the porcupine that gave us grief but rarely would they result in the dogs death. Many of the older hunters would shoot a porcupine on sight back then.

Of course that changed when I got a pet porcupine :lol:

Fatboy - 2-25-2019 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Very cool!

Thanks!

Black Rock

bajaguy - 2-25-2019 at 01:45 PM

What part of the Black Rock were you riding in??

I have spent a lot of time in the area around Gerlach. Donnelly Creek/Soldier Meadows, hot springs and opal mines, High Rock Canyon. Also /Squaw Reservoir and the Smoke Creek areas....And Planet X pottery shop

Ate plenty of Bruno's (RIP) ravioli

Fatboy - 2-25-2019 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
What part of the Black Rock were you riding in??

I have spent a lot of time in the area around Gerlach. Donnelly Creek/Soldier Meadows, hot springs and opal mines, High Rock Canyon. Also /Squaw Reservoir and the Smoke Creek areas....And Planet X pottery shop

Ate plenty of Bruno's (RIP) ravioli

Sounds like you know the area well!

This was over by 'Winter Camp', a historic spot on the emigrant trail, across the playa from Gerlach by the Jackson Mtn wilderness area. I was out exploring some old mine sites that day.

bajaguy - 2-25-2019 at 02:57 PM

Interesting tid-bit of history....the playa area between the Black Rock (point) and the Jackson Range was used as a bombing and gunnery range during WWII.....When exploring that area on M/C and truck years ago we used to pick up expended ordnance (50 caliber shell casings and small practice bombs).There is also an overgrown old Navy emergency landing strip right next to Donnelly Creek

Interesting area, lots of stories. Glad it's somewhat in my back yard

Fatboy - 2-25-2019 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Interesting tid-bit of history....the playa area between the Black Rock (point) and the Jackson Range was used as a bombing and gunnery range during WWII.....When exploring that area on M/C and truck years ago we used to pick up expended ordnance (50 caliber shell casings and small practice bombs).There is also an overgrown old Navy emergency landing strip right next to Donnelly Creek

Interesting area, lots of stories. Glad it's somewhat in my back yard

Strange... In my earlier response to you you I was going to mention how i had also found some some empty .50cal casings on the playa out in that area, and at the time I thought it was odd.

But I did not mention it and now you cleared up a little mystery for me.

If it warms up and dries out this spring I need to head out there with the CT70 and putt around on the lake bed and see what there is to see. It is almost in my backyard too if the snow allows me past Bucks lake and into Quincy.

BornFisher - 2-25-2019 at 05:30 PM

Saw one out near Baker Ca. once. Had no idea they could live in such a hot, dry desert.
Great job on the vid.

bajabuddha - 2-25-2019 at 05:45 PM

Another badger encounter ~

Back in the middle '70s was toodling across the Pony Express route in the west Utah desert (south of the Salt Flats) with another desert rat... he suddenly pulled up and stopped in front of me and ran out of his truck with a shotgun..... I followed suit with my pistol wondering why. He fired, and I saw a furry critter roll in the dust, and yes, was a badger.

I asked him "why the hell did you shoot it?" He hemmed and hawed, and I chastised him for a needless kill... the critter wasn't doing nothing to nobody. So I pulled out my Buck knife and said, "well, git to work and let's keep it then". No response.

I proceeded to clean and skin the thing, tossing the carcass and hide in my old Land Cruiser. Tried cooking it (and making Big Hunter eat some) and it was greasy and nasty.... took the hide home, salted and stretched it in the sun. Still don't remember what happened to that hide; I think Li'l critters got after it and tore it up.... long story short, leave 'em be.

At a distance. ;)

MMc - 2-25-2019 at 06:38 PM

Swa one in the middle of Baja on the pacific side. late he he patrolling the waters edge. Saw another one by Colonet.

BajaBlanca - 2-26-2019 at 09:57 AM

Where is Roger to give us a history lesson?!!!!!

TMW - 2-26-2019 at 11:46 AM

My first time to Malarrimo Beach about 20 years ago we saw one maybe 1 mile from the beach as we drove out. It was a big one. Saw it again on the way out.

John Harper - 2-26-2019 at 11:55 AM

I came across one this summer in Idaho, just crossing a dirt road in the middle of the day. Never seen one before, very beautiful creatures.

John

Alan - 2-26-2019 at 01:04 PM

The only one I have ever seen was crossing Mx1 just north of Guerrero Negro early one morning

willardguy - 2-26-2019 at 01:09 PM

heck I thought you were talking about D37 cops and firemen!:coolup:

Fatboy - 2-26-2019 at 01:43 PM

Interesting critters, I never saw one until I moved to Elko, NV for a few years and saw half dozen while out exploring the desert around there.

Once I stopped for no particular reason and got out to walk around. Walked over a small cattle pond dam and there was one sunning himself there about 10 feet away.

After a few minutes he noticed me and calmly got up and waddled away.

[Edited on 2-26-2019 by Fatboy]

Meany - 2-26-2019 at 01:53 PM

Cool!!! Love them Badgers....

Beagle - 2-26-2019 at 04:31 PM

I wonder if she had some pups stashed under that little tree. She was was awfully reluctant to bail. I say She because I think a male would have taken off. BTW I have zero experience with badgers.

Fatboy - 2-26-2019 at 05:16 PM

I always wondered why she (he?) didn't take off like the other one did.

Afterwards I thought I should have looked under the tree to see if there was anything there but....

bajabuddha - 2-26-2019 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
I always wondered why she (he?) didn't take off like the other one did.

Afterwards I thought I should have looked under the tree to see if there was anything there but....

Badgers are very territorial and also aggressive defenders. Maybe the one had pups or something to get back to, the other the 'defender of the realm'. Prolly a mated pair. Anyway, you saw the veracity of the Li'l scudder.... they got a mean streak a mile long to strangers, pahdnah. :coolup:

Fatboy - 2-26-2019 at 06:19 PM

Yeap, I wouldn't be petting one anytime soon!