BajaNomad

La Paz internet

4x4abc - 2-26-2019 at 09:41 PM

is there any viable alternative to Telmex Infinitum internet service in La Paz ?

I heard rumors of a high speed service with small microwave antennas

does anyone know more?

Warf - 2-27-2019 at 07:58 AM

We had internet through Megacable for a couple of years but speed and service was underwhelming. Telmex now gives us 20 Mbps reliably at $638/mo. Not super fast but fast enough for streaming w/o problems.

jedge42 - 2-27-2019 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
is there any viable alternative to Telmex Infinitum internet service in La Paz ?

does anyone know more?

I recently added Toronet here south of Los Barriles and it has been great (30Mbps in both directions). Their service map seems to indicate they cover La Paz as well:

http://toronet.mx/

It is definitely more expensive than Telmex, but worth it for me.

jake

4x4abc - 2-27-2019 at 08:38 AM

how much, Jake?

jedge42 - 2-27-2019 at 08:59 AM

how much, Jake?

It was $350 USD to install and $650 USD for a year's service if memory serves ...

jake

4x4abc - 2-27-2019 at 09:07 AM

thanks - waiting for their response

PaulW - 2-27-2019 at 09:14 AM

For comparison
We have a similar service in San Felipe. Small dish views the tower. The provider bought a 300MB+ hardline from Telnor and he provides customers with wireless 10MB+ service. Cost was $350 for hardware and $70/month with a 6 month contract. Internet only - no phone.
No regrets - works good.

4x4abc - 2-27-2019 at 09:23 AM

thanks - waiting for their response

charliemanson - 2-28-2019 at 04:45 PM

Telcel. For a small hook up fee, probably for the router, we get 10-20 megs all day long for 400 pesos a month.
Kinda funny how Telmex, same company, service has collapsed over the past 4-5 months and telcels service is rocket speed. I think you must own a phone through them however which shouldn't break anybody bank....well most peoples.

JZ - 2-28-2019 at 05:00 PM

does anyone know more?

Make your phone a hotspot. I got 50 Mbps on my phone the other day.

brucedog - 3-1-2019 at 07:55 AM

I have the microwave based internet in La Ventana through CSM Networks. It's expensive and slow...$800 to install and $50 a month for 4mb service. They say you can turn it up but it costs a lot more. Several of our neighbors have the new TelCel modem which we just bought yesterday. Cost about 3000 Pesos up front and 399 Pesos a month with a 2 year contract. Getting 12Mps now

4x4abc - 3-1-2019 at 06:19 PM

my Telmex Infinitum worked great for some years
now it is off most of the time
I can trick it into springing back to life - but never for long
line is crackling like an overseas cable 50 years ago

talked to the microwave rep - they are discontinuing service in La Paz

here is what you do when your internet is down with Telmex (internet light on modem off):
call 1.800.123.0000 on the line that provides DSL
dial "1" once the announcement starts
it connects your line to their service computer and usually makes the internet light on your modem lit again

works like a charm
but gets old when you have to do that 10 times a day

Telmex is out of capacity - that is why there is not much hope for the future
a new Sea of Cortez cable is coming, but is 2 years out.

4x4abc - 3-1-2019 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  
I have the microwave based internet in La Ventana through CSM Networks. It's expensive and slow...$800 to install and $50 a month for 4mb service. They say you can turn it up but it costs a lot more. Several of our neighbors have the new TelCel modem which we just bought yesterday. Cost about 3000 Pesos up front and 399 Pesos a month with a 2 year contract. Getting 12Mps now

tell me more about the TelCel modem
that is cell phone service right?

BajaParrothead - 3-1-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by brucedog  

Does that have a monthly data cap, or is it unlimited data?

John Harper - 3-1-2019 at 08:04 PM

tell me more about the TelCel modem
that is cell phone service right?

I think it's what my roommate has. Basically a cell network based hotspot. She just has a small receiver on the roof, and a modem in the house. Works just like having WiFi at home in the US. Not sure how fast you need, but I think it's probably $20 a month or so. Perhaps they have upgraded bandwidth for mas pesos.

John

4x4abc - 3-1-2019 at 08:27 PM

100Gb limit per month

https://www.whistleout.com.mx/CellPhones/Guides/telcel-inter...

BajaParrothead - 3-3-2019 at 02:27 PM

100Gb limit per month

https://www.whistleout.com.mx/CellPhones/Guides/telcel-inter...

Thank you Harald