BajaNomad

Discovering the great cave murals of the Baja peninsula

jedge42 - 2-28-2019 at 11:02 AM

An article at Mexico News Daily:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/mexicolife/the-great-cave-murals...

jake

David K - 2-28-2019 at 12:52 PM

Thank you. Good article.

chuckie - 2-28-2019 at 04:24 PM

Beautiful book..Cave paintings of Baja...I had a copy...Loaned it out and the son of a bich never returned it...

David K - 2-28-2019 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Beautiful book..Cave paintings of Baja...I had a copy...Loaned it out and the son of a bich never returned it...

There were several editions... yes a good book by Harry Crosby!

1975 was the first edition:

1984:

1997:

Of course, the person who is probably most responsible for enlightening the outside world about these treasures... Perry Mason creator, and Baja explorer, Erle Stanley Gardner in his 1962 book:

BajaBlanca - 2-28-2019 at 05:44 PM

We are so lucky to live here, where these magical caves are located!

bajabuddha - 2-28-2019 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Blanca, you are so humble.... luck is for gamblers and fools. You are sufficiently SKILLED to make Baja your permanent home and yes, it is MAGICAL. You are truly blessed, and an inspiration to all.

David K - 2-28-2019 at 05:51 PM

Blanca is living the life! ;)

gueribo - 3-1-2019 at 08:33 PM

Thanks for sharing.

BajaBlanca - 3-2-2019 at 08:01 AM

We really are living the life! I have Les to thank for having a vision and making it a reality.

Going back to the thread, the only caves we have been to is Cueva del Raton (which I really liked), the cave on the way up to San Javier (where you can feel their spirit by the stream) and lastly, after a couple tries, I finally got to see the one in Cataviña after hiking up to it.

David K - 3-2-2019 at 08:09 AM

We really are living the life! I have Les to thank for having a vision and making it a reality.

Going back to the thread, the only caves we have been to is Cueva del Raton (which I really liked), the cave on the way up to San Javier (where you can feel their spirit by the stream) and lastly, after a couple tries, I finally got to see the one in Cataviña after hiking up to it.

That's a good little climb, right?

Baja Angel and her son Josh, 2006.

HeyMulegeScott - 3-2-2019 at 09:44 AM

I wonder when the author went to San Borjitas. Last month the road was graded and fairly easy for a truck or SUV with the exception of a couple of rocky arroyo sections. No helicopter required.

Lee - 3-2-2019 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Blanca, you are so humble.... luck is for gamblers and fools. You are sufficiently SKILLED to make Baja your permanent home and yes, it is MAGICAL. You are truly blessed, and an inspiration to all.

x2. Pura vida.

joerover - 3-2-2019 at 01:10 PM

Are there any cave paintings near Ensenada?

Museo Histórico Regional
Gastélum s/n, Centro, 22800 Ensenada, B.C

Is reopened, and has photos of cave paintings, listed as Ensenada, municipality Ensenada I suppose. I was looking for the parade, so only glanced in the museo.

Davidk, the museo has a new section on missions.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/mexicolife/the-great-cave-murals...

David K - 3-2-2019 at 01:59 PM

I hope they used accurate history!

joerover - 3-2-2019 at 02:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I hope they used accurate history!

In living color

This is the museum on Gastelum near Primera in Ensenada. The museum knows things about history.

David K - 3-3-2019 at 10:56 AM

You would be surprised what I have seen in Mexico that is often controlled by political or nationalistic motives over accuracy. It may be perfect, and that would be awesome.

New information can still be produced to counter the current known details and I welcome that. There have been many papers and letters discovered or published in the 1950s-70s + that still are not in any mission history books, other than mine. The habit is generally to use a previous author's book to get data rather than use an original source for data. As I said, there are newly discovered letters found in Spain and other places that shed new light on what happened so long ago. So many mission books have repeated errors made by one author over 100 years ago.

My passion is to have the best available details so the story of the past is representative of the way things really happened. Writing my book, Baja California Land of Missions was very rewarding in that these unpublished (in English) documents and other things such as dates, names, and more, could be relayed to all of you who have a desire to know more about these monumental projects on the peninsula, so long ago.

joerover - 3-3-2019 at 12:52 PM

:light:The mural in Hotel riviera shows missions going as far north as San Francisco.

The Museum, Histórico Regional in Ensenada could well be tthe oldest building in Ensenada.

[[often controlled by political or nationalistic motives]]
They have nothing for sale, no motive. Just a nice museum. Free to tourists, small fee for locals. snicker