BajaNomad

Rancho Santa Ines near Catavina

DaliDali - 2-28-2019 at 12:00 PM

Please.....

Looking for any and all information about the campground there.
28' travel trailer with tow vehicle for an overnighter.

I think there is a restaurant there?....still operational?

bajatrailrider - 2-28-2019 at 12:19 PM

Yes just dirt lot

DaliDali - 2-28-2019 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes just dirt lot

Works for me....thank you

Howard - 2-28-2019 at 12:29 PM

It's really not a "campground" but a very large open area to camp. You could fit a battleship in if you wanted. No restaurant, no nuttin. To me, it feels a little spooky when I camp alone there, it's isolated and very dark. It's definitely in my mind and never have heard of any problems. If there are no other campers there it can be very, very quiet and you can hear the sounds of the desert quite well, coyotes, etc.

David K - 2-28-2019 at 12:51 PM

Ken Cooke was just there a few days ago and paid them for access to the Mission Santa María road. There has historically been a restaurant and bunk rooms there. The owner liked to spell it Santa Ynez we have been told. Americans lease lots and live in the area. The late Marv Patchen was one and wrote a book about the guest book he had visitors sign in his. A paved runway is there for pilots. This was a popular pit stop and Baja race checkpoint. The president of Mexico slept here during his campaign trip and promised to build a highway before his term ended. He kept that promise and also paved the Santa Ynez driveway and air strip in 1973.

mcnut - 2-28-2019 at 02:23 PM

The road in is broken pavement so it can be a little slow and bumpy for the 3/4 mile drive in. Someone will come by to collect a few dollars for camping. They used to have some food available (calling it a restaurant is a stretch) but in recent years never seems available.

Side note... I believe the Ranch charging for passage to the Mission road may be a effort to raise money to maintain the access road from Hy 1 to the Ranch more then the roads beyond the ranch.

Bruce

HeyMulegeScott - 2-28-2019 at 03:18 PM

We camped there in January on the way down. Surprisingly they had Wifi.

In 2017 (March & June)

David K - 2-28-2019 at 04:44 PM

===================================================================
June:

[Edited on 12-20-2023 by David K]

DaliDali - 2-28-2019 at 05:08 PM

Thanks....

Fits my needs just fine....

bajabuddha - 2-28-2019 at 05:11 PM

Anyone know if Ralph still lives behind the ranch in the stone house he built? I believe it was Ralph.... might've been Marv..... comes around every evening (when he wasn't in El Centro) on his ATV.

Loved the guy; took me and my better half to several pictograph sites after he found I had an interest, showed me his property. First night in the campo circa 1995 I marveled at the night sky.... been desert camping all my life, but Sta. Ynez took the cake... he said "Dave, close your eyes and take a deep breath", to which I did. Before I exhaled he said, "the last person to breathe that air spoke Chinese!"

I laughed my tail off.

The restaurant was ''spartan'' to say the least, but one must realize it was a RANCHO eatery. Food was rustic, but filling, and the Pacifico's very cold. Probably my favorite pit stop on the trail. Views incredible, spend an extra day and walk the vado. Blue fan palms the only endemic palm in Baja.

Used to was, the water spigot at the entrance was agua dulce, but no more. Too many cows have spoiled the aquifer. I used to fill my water jugs there on the way south, but never again. The place has definitely deteriorated since the Good Ol' Daze, but still always worthy of a star-lit sky. In the winter, pack extra blankets. Late spring, bug juice; the bobo's are tough.

edit: Oh yeah, stayed in the bunk house one August night. I swear it was Goldilock's bear cabin; 3 beds; one was waaay too soft, another waaay to hard, and the third just right. Slept like a DOT man at work. :coolup:

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by bajabuddha]

StuckSucks - 2-28-2019 at 05:15 PM

Here's a photo sphere I took at Santa Inés -- click and drag to look around.

David K - 2-28-2019 at 05:35 PM

I was looking for the photo of the sign at the highway that read: 'GOOD FUD' (food).

About the ranch spelling, it is one of those Baja places that that has several ways to spell it, and no one is 100% correct, lol!
Proper Spanish is: Santa Inés
Owner's preference: Santa Ynez
Also on the property: Santa Inez
then the million gringo versions:
Santa Innes
Santa Ynes.
Santa Innez
etc. etc.

Yes, it is Ralph S. who lives there and is a HAM radio operator. I have not met him. Marv and Aletha Patchen's cabin is east of the runway and our own Graham has been a frequent guest. His entries into the logbook are the most published in Marv's book...

The book is for sale at www.oldmissions.com (scroll down).

bajabuddha - 2-28-2019 at 05:47 PM

DK, if you haven't met Ralph yet I highly recommend it. He's a pilot, did lots of search and rescue and aid flights for Cataviña, a wonderful and gentle soul. Dunno his schedule (if at all any more) but truly an 'alternate' camp host. A true plethora of information on the area, including the mission, etc. He's rescued several intrepid 4-wheelers who've attempted the drive in with improper equipment and insufficient gear. Great guide, great guy. Also has his own guest register in his house which I signed a couple of times.

David K - 2-28-2019 at 05:57 PM

I would enjoy that, for sure... it just hasn't happened during the four trips I made to the mission (1999, 2003, 2007, 2010). Maybe he isn't there when I pass near his place (always around April-May)? I have not even seen his place, up close.

I have heard how he has helped many over the years and Wild Bill's lady, 'Elena la Loca', used to give us weather and news updates via HAM from Ralph.

DaliDali - 2-28-2019 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

The restaurant was ''spartan'' to say the least, but one must realize it was a RANCHO eatery. Food was rustic, but filling, and the Pacifico's very cold. Probably my favorite pit stop on the trail. Views incredible, spend an extra day and walk the vado. Blue fan palms the only endemic palm in Baja.

When were you last there?....
Any more recent updates on the "rancho" eatery?

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by DaliDali]

advrider - 2-28-2019 at 07:41 PM

Thanks for the book links, just ordered two. I'll pick David's at the cactus next week.

David K - 2-28-2019 at 07:44 PM

Thank you! Great that you want to support the Desert Hawks in El Rosario, too!

bajabuddha - 2-28-2019 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

When were you last there?....
Any more recent updates on the "rancho" eatery?

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by DaliDali]

Pack yer own fud, it's been half an eon since. If they still serve machaca enchiladas, or whatever.... yours will still be in the can.
The ambiance can't be beat, but la sabor can.

David K - 3-1-2019 at 01:17 AM

When I drove in, to do a checkup, for the roadguide, the restaurant seemed closed, the shutter was down.

There were a couple of campers walking towards the ranch house they said for breakfast, as I drove away from the place and told them it didn't look promising. They did have dinner there the evening before... March 2017.

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2019 at 10:47 PM

Mayra operates the restaurant at Rancho Santa Ines. (sp) Bean or Machaca burritos cost 20 pesos each. For my trip to Mission Santa Maria, I bought 6 bean burritos (salty) and Leidys bought 1 Machaca burrito.

Rumor has it that Ralph S. was back in the U.S. - his wife has been dealing with health issues is what I heard from Rich T.

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 3-2-2019 at 12:17 AM

Thanks Ken for the update!
Yes, getting old sucks... So you have been warned!

Elena La Loca - 3-2-2019 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Rumor has it that Ralph S. was back in the U.S. - his wife has been dealing with health issues is what I heard from Rich T.

Only posting to quash the rumor. Ken, please tell Rich T he's mistaken.

Is the runway open now?

thebajarunner - 3-2-2019 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ken Cooke was just there a few days ago and paid them for access to the Mission Santa María road. There has historically been a restaurant and bunk rooms there. The owner liked to spell it Santa Ynez we have been told. Americans lease lots and live in the area. The late Marv Patchen was one and wrote a book about the guest book he had visitors sign in his. A paved runway is there for pilots. This was a popular pit stop and Baja race checkpoint. The president of Mexico slept here during his campaign trip and promised to build a highway before his term ended. He kept that promise and also paved the Santa Ynez driveway and air strip in 1973.

Government closed the airstrip a few years back, supposedly to stop the cartel from using it for cargo trips heading north. I had landed there several times in the past, so when I heard that I drove my pickup onto the runway and sure enough they had it blocked off on both ends. I never went back up to take another look, although I drive by there at least a couple times every year.

The legend had it (way back) that the runway and driveway were paved because the government failed to acquire rights or permisos to run the road across the property. I believe that the owners were the Diaz family, am I remembering that correctly? They also owned property at Punta Final.

Some years back Bill Lawrence from Rancho Santa Marta orphanage sent me a property listing that the entire ranch was for sale. It was a very large piece of property, hard to imagine how you could make a buck off your investment.

windgrrl - 3-3-2019 at 10:16 AM

Regrettably, our travel plans did not allow for a stay at Rancho Santa Ynes (a spelling adopted by Google Earth that I am sure won’t set the spelling discussion to rest) this year. On a cold, windy day in early February, we stopped for a break at the well-stocked convenience store and browsed the aisles alongside a large group of soldiers shopping for snacks with their fire arms slung casually over their shoulders. No fuel sales available then, but the washrooms are open. Of interest, used TP goes into a blue recycling bin!;)

When we camped at the rancho in Feb. 2018, Ralph came to greet us and chat for a bit. Next morning, we walked eastward down towards the ranch house towards the adjoining arroyo. The lady at the ranch house called out to us about breakfast availability. She was accompanied by an older man and a younger woman. There is not always someone at the ranch house, but they seem to stop by each day to collect fees for use of the parking area. We spent an hour exploring the arroyo and Ralph pulled up on a quad with his dog to chat again, asking about how the night went. He seemed concerned about safety. Another couple camping that night walked up to his home at his invitation and enjoyed their visit. We had been cautioned about camping alone there, but in all the years we have stopped there, it has been a beautiful experience. Breakfast of huevos rancheros was delightful.

David K - 3-3-2019 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for these replies... it is great to hear from everyone who has stayed at Santa Ynez.

Nice to see Ellen is here still, too.

theBajarunner: The owner (1950s-2000s) was Josefina Zunigo or her estate and she also owned the Punta Final land. Fred Hampe was her foreman and is the one who built the road to Mission Santa María and beyond in hopes of going across to Punta Final. The canyon stopped his progress as well as the construction of Hwy. 1 in 1973 reducing the need for a short cut. Fred is also credited for the La Turquesa grade construction (the next best shortcut route).

A Nomad pilot and Score buggy racer, 'Steekers' was in the process of authoring a book on the Santa Ynez history and he interviewed Fred at Fred's home in Ramona. Maybe Steekers is reading Nomad still and will have some input?

There were land squatters at Punta Final who started the resort there in the late 1960s called Villa Mar y Sol, so Josefina and Fred needed a faster route to the gulf to guard the property in the days before paved and graded roads. They kicked that Mar y Sol group off and renamed the campo 'Punta Final' after the nearby point.

wilderone - 3-3-2019 at 11:20 AM

"We had been cautioned about camping alone there,"
I have probably stayed overnight there about 15 times, never been cautioned about any dangers, never experienced any concerns.
Except once. I had put my tent up next to the Patchen cabin after Mr. Patchen had passed away and the cabin ownership was in dispute. It was dusk, I had made dinner and was sitting outside enjoying the balmy evening, when I heard the unmistakable sound of a rifle being c-cked, off the left and behind me (where there are large boulder mounds). I froze and listened but heard nothing more (it's so quiet up there). Not my imagination. Maybe somebody was getting ready for a personal encounter until they saw it was just an old lady minding her own business.

David K - 3-3-2019 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"We had been cautioned about camping alone there,"
I have probably stayed overnight there about 15 times, never been cautioned about any dangers, never experienced any concerns.
Except once. I had put my tent up next to the Patchen cabin after Mr. Patchen had passed away and the cabin ownership was in dispute. It was dusk, I had made dinner and was sitting outside enjoying the balmy evening, when I heard the unmistakable sound of a rifle being c-cked, off the left and behind me (where there are large boulder mounds). I froze and listened but heard nothing more (it's so quiet up there). Not my imagination. Maybe somebody was getting ready for a personal encounter until they saw it was just an old lady minding her own business.

Did you ever get to meet Marv and Aletha?
They were uber cool people and loved sharing Baja. They attended my Viva Baja parties and exchanged emails often about interesting places in Baja, such as the geoglyphs Marv saw from his plane near El Mármol.
I made a web page when they invited Elizabeth and me to spend the weekend at their Canebrake desert home. Graham Mackintosh was a frequent guest there and at the Santa Ynez cabin, too.
Here is the page: http://vivabaja.com/patchen/

Whale-ista - 3-3-2019 at 01:39 PM

Good to hear they are still open for visitors. In spring 2014, heading NB, I stopped to visit with the man and woman who were living there. They must have been in their 80s?

We had lunch, they gave me a tour of the rooms, and we admired the blooming cactus and other plants as we ate.

We enjoyed watching the hummingbirds that were attracted to the flowers, so on my next visit (June) I stopped to deliver a feeder- but the couple had moved out. I heard later the property had sold.

From our earlier conversation, I thought they had been there for decades.

There were a few horses tethered nearby- none had access to water. I didn't see anyone else around, so I watered them (the temperatures were already in the 80s) and continued south to meet with friends on the coast.

FYI- This is from Graham MacKintosh's post on the "Talk Baja" FB page, Feb. 20. It includes several photos of his work to repair the cabin:

"Finished the Patchen cabin roof repair as it started drizzling. Thought it might take 2-3 days but thanks to famed Santa Ines resident Ralph who brought the ladders, skill saw and generators, and to the knowhow and power tools of David and Alison, we had the job done in less than one day. I did little except slap on the roof tar and tidy up. By way of celebration visited Ralph and Pat in their home… and as the almond tequila was all gone, downed a couple of shots of the smoothest most delicious 40-year old Cluny scotch. Offered a toast to David and Alison. Was muy frio and freezing this morning in Catavina. Was able to express my thanks in frost."

And on Feb. 26:
"Sad to leave LA Bay. So beautiful. Tomorrow heading back to do more work on Patchen cabin near Catavina. Knocking together the "outhouse" with a view, and carrying over 300 lbs of cement for north wall. Will be there with Ralph till maybe Saturday night, will be way warmer than freezing temps while we fixed the roof. Stop if you're passing by, offer advice... and try out the new facilities!"

Alm - 3-3-2019 at 02:55 PM

Yes, "camp" caretakers are old couple. The biggest appeal of the camp is that it's away from the village and highway, so you don't hear any noise through paper-thin walls of RV. Restaurant is about the same standard as the Juan's shack on the North-East corner of LA turnoff (not the fancier structure to the South).

David K - 3-3-2019 at 03:51 PM

Oscar & Matilda were the couple over the years who managed the rancho for Fred and Josefina. There is a photo of them sitting with us there in 2007: www.vivabaja.com/msm

thebajarunner - 3-3-2019 at 05:16 PM

Thanks for these replies... it is great to hear from everyone who has stayed at Santa Ynez.

Nice to see Ellen is here still, too.

theBajarunner: The owner (1950s-2000s) was Josefina Zunigo or her estate and she also owned the Punta Final land. Fred Hampe was her foreman and is the one who built the road to Mission Santa María and beyond in hopes of going across to Punta Final. The canyon stopped his progress as well as the construction of Hwy. 1 in 1973 reducing the need for a short cut. Fred is also credited for the La Turquesa grade construction (the next best shortcut route).

A Nomad pilot and Score buggy racer, 'Steekers' was in the process of authoring a book on the Santa Ynez history and he interviewed Fred at Fred's home in Ramona. Maybe Steekers is reading Nomad still and will have some input?

There were land squatters at Punta Final who started the resort there in the late 1960s called Villa Mar y Sol, so Josefina and Fred needed a faster route to the gulf to guard the property in the days before paved and graded roads. They kicked that Mar y Sol group off and renamed the campo 'Punta Final' after the nearby point.

Thanks David...
Sra. Josefina..... just could not dredge that up from my rusty memory bank
And yes, they also owned Punta Final.
Never heard if the big holdings in Catavina sold or not.
No answer to my question, "Is the strip now open?"

Also, no argument on the name.
The sign was placed there by the owners and says "Inez"
End of argument
You can change the name if you like, but that is what the owners called it

norte - 3-3-2019 at 07:20 PM

You have too pay to access the mission road. I thought that was free access?

David K - 3-3-2019 at 08:32 PM

The data I got comes partially from Marvin Patchen and his book, Baja Adventures by Land, Air, Sea. The ranch also put up a sign at the highway "Sta. Ynez" and Marv said that was the preferred spelling. I also saw shirts sold there as "Inez"! I don't think the Spanish speakers care as much as some of us who make maps and road guides?!

The ranch (I heard) was sold to Don of Vista CA Briggs Tree Farm fame? Don was a customer, I had done irrigation work for back in the 80s and 90s. He spoke about his Punta Final home but never anything about Santa Ynez. So, that came later but living on Josefina's land would give him an inside contact

Norte, the pay to pass the ranch was news we just learned from Ken Cooke. Perhaps if you drive to the arroyo on a back road from Cataviña, you could avoid? See Google Earth.

Edit, found the email from Marvin, from March 4, 2003:

David....more: when I first went to Santa Ynez in 1968 it was Ynez and although there was a Catavina on some map there was nothing there. The ranch was the only thing there except a small ranch house by the dip in the road just before you got to Santa Ynez. Some old maps have Inez and some Ynez.

Oscar does not own the ranch. Fred Hampe owns it. It was willed to him by Josefina.

I don't recall if I said in my other E mail that Fred Hampe built the road to the mission.

Marvin

[Edited on 3-4-2019 by David K]

Pablito1 - 3-4-2019 at 01:33 PM

One year in the early 1980s I was traveling to meet some people in Cabo Pulmo. There was a storm in the gulf and raining hard as I passed Catavinia so I pulled in to Santa Ines to check for a place to sleep. They put me up in a room directly across in front of the restaurant. The room reminded me of the ranch's bunk house because there were 2-3 more beds. If I remember correctly the cost of the room was $8.00. In the morning when I got up and went outside there were several people sleeping on the porch. That was the only time that I slept at the ranch but I over the years I have slept in the open area in front of the ranch.
I have been trying to remember if Oscar and Matilda were there at the time of the storm but just don't. That was a couple of moons ago.

Regards, Pablo

David K - 3-4-2019 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
One year in the early 1980s I was traveling to meet some people in Cabo Pulmo. There was a storm in the gulf and raining hard as I passed Catavinia so I pulled in to Santa Ines to check for a place to sleep. They put me up in a room directly across in front of the restaurant. The room reminded me of the ranch's bunk house because there were 2-3 more beds. If I remember correctly the cost of the room was $8.00. In the morning when I got up and went outside there were several people sleeping on the porch. That was the only time that I slept at the ranch but I over the years I have slept in the open area in front of the ranch.
I have been trying to remember if Oscar and Matilda were there at the time of the storm but just don't. That was a couple of moons ago.

Regards, Pablo

Elected around 1970, the man running for president of Mexico slept in that bunk room and promised the people of Baja that HE would give them a paved road before his term ended... and he did!

Either he really liked Josefina and the bunk room a lot or he was somehow convinced that he did pave the driveway into the ranch from where the engineers placed the highway as well as giving a paved runway on the hill above the long field where planes used to land (now the driveway and campground). The parador and El Presidente Hotel next door at Cataviña was originally named "Cataviña-Santa Inés" as there was nothing there before the highway and Santa Inés (Ynez) was the main attraction before then. It is in one of my 1974 photos, the year the parador/ hotel opened, a few months following the highway opening.

Blanche and Elizabeth chat with ranch managers Matilda ad Oscar. Good tacos and cold drinks can be ordered here before the mission voyage begins. [2007 photo/caption]

1974: El Presidente Cataviña-Santa Inés...
zoomed in, blurry...

[Edited on 3-5-2019 by David K]

Ralph

EdZeranski - 3-10-2019 at 09:11 PM

Anyone know if Ralph still lives behind the ranch in the stone house he built? I believe it was Ralph...

Its Ralph, other home is Ramah NM. You can catch him at 07:30 on the "Wheels and Keels" net , 3.945MHz, change to 7.245 at 07:45

EdZ KG6UTS

Skipjack Joe - 3-11-2019 at 10:52 PM

Personally, I love this place. It's the next best thing to camping in the boonies. It's quiet and the stars are out each night. I wouldn't stay overnight in their rooms though. We always have tacos dorados at that old wooden table outside and talk to Mathilda while we munch our food.

Last week Mathilda told me her husband Oscar passed away this past December, I think. So she runs the place with her daughter mostly.

That area can get very cold at nights during the Dec-Feb time frame (low 40's - high 30's).

bajabuddha - 3-11-2019 at 11:20 PM

I believe Matilda's daughter is Gloria (so what's left of memory serves me) and I have had many a cerveza and a meal on that pik-i-nik table outside the restaurant. Met all 3 in '95 and many a year after.

Sorry to see a passing of a generation there; such is life, everywhere we travel. Times change, people come and go. I agree one of my favorite camps in Baja, for the stars, the ambience, the rocks, blue fan palms, cowchit, caravans, machaca enchiladas, Ralph's visits and history talks, oh....

And the bunk house. Again, the middle room had 3 beds right out of Goldilocks' visit to the bear's house. The third one was JUST RIGHT. Never change a minute of any time I've ever spent there for any amount of swag.

Santa Ynez is a treasure. :coolup:

David K - 3-11-2019 at 11:33 PM

Nice stories... Sorry to hear that Oscar has passed... Getting old sucks and not just because it does but because you lose friends and neat people you got to know or know about.

Oscar put on a performance for my daughter Sarah before we drove to the mission, in April 2003:

The horse's name was Rayo (Lightning):

Oscar of Rancho Santa Ynez

The rest of that trip: http://www.vivabaja.com/403/

UPDATE RANCHO SANTA YNEZ, YNES, INES??

steekers - 10-12-2020 at 02:21 PM

Since Oscar has passed away, leaving Mathilda and her kids to manage the operation, I wonder how the place is now operated.

Has anyone been there in the last year? Camped out? Rented any rooms? Had any food? Anyone stay in Patchen's cabin? Seen Ralph around?

My group will be going in a few weeks and wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

[Edited on 10-12-2020 by steekers]

[Edited on 10-12-2020 by steekers]

Ken Bondy - 10-12-2020 at 03:48 PM

I loved the place also. Landed there many times and really enjoyed just wandering around

David K - 10-12-2020 at 04:12 PM

Ken, would you mind sharing what those experiences were like and who you interacted with??? Did you know Josefina Zuñiga(sp?) or Fred Hampe?

Ken Bondy - 10-12-2020 at 04:29 PM

David I checked my log and the last time I was there was in 1981 (flying). 39 years fuzzies the memory but I am pretty sure I met Josefina.. The other name doesn’t ring any bells. I never overnighted there but I have fond memories of the place. On our few driving trips later we would stay at the hotel in Catavina and drive over for a visit. Sorry, wish I had more connected brain cells.

[Edited on 10-12-2020 by Ken Bondy]

Ken Bondy - 10-12-2020 at 04:35 PM

One memory I do have left is how bizarre it was to have a paved airstrip in that location. Wish I had spent more time checking out the history.

Ken Cooke - 10-12-2020 at 04:59 PM

Ken, would you mind sharing what those experiences were like and who you interacted with??? Did you know Josefina Zuñiga(sp?) or Fred Hampe?

February 2019 - I was asked to pay a small fee to enter the trail to Mision Santa Maria, or 'Mission Impossible'. I don't take last names while on vacation, so I don't know if it was a Zuniga that I paid for multiple vegetarian bean burritos, but our group was in and out by dusk. Fred Hampe? Is that the gentleman who lives on the premises nearby (from New Mexico)?

Our run after a day-long rain storm down Mission Impossible trail looked like this:

David K - 10-12-2020 at 05:15 PM

Thanks Ken...
I am interested with history of the ranch and it is a rich one!
The runway (and ranch driveway form Mex 1) was paved in late 1973 with the highway paving or just after as a "gift" to Josefina from her new friend the president of Mexico (Luis Echeverria) after he spent the night at Rancho Santa Ynez during his tour through Baja seeking a project to improve the peninsula.

Pilots have loved Santa Ynez due to its location and as a key checkpoint and pitting spot for the first Mexican (Baja) 1000 races (1967-1973). Josefina knew what was important in the remote area to bring in business and help pilots in need.

Ken, great photos!
Fred and Josefina both died a few years ago, Josefina first in the late 80s, I think? The man you are thinking of is Ralph, who lives by the arroyo on adjoining property to the north. He has a HAM Radio and has been known to help those in need after attempting to reach Mission Santa María. I have never met him... I guess because I have never been in need?

Other Nomads or lurkers, I would enjoy hearing your experiences at the epic spot in central Baja! email: info*at*vivabaja.com
Gracias!!!

MontyF - 10-12-2020 at 05:19 PM

In April, 1978 we flew into Alfonsina's for yet another camping trip. No beer in the cantina. So at the direction of Luis, we flew to Santa Ynes, bought cases of Bohemia at the Catavina hotel, returned to Alfonsina's, got our money back from the kitchen staff and then repurchased the beer from the cantina. Could not have been a better trip!

David K - 10-12-2020 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MontyF  
In April, 1978 we flew into Alfonsina's for yet another camping trip. No beer in the cantina. So at the direction of Luis, we flew to Santa Ynes, bought cases of Bohemia at the Catavina hotel, returned to Alfonsina's, got our money back from the kitchen staff and then repurchased the beer from the cantina. Could not have been a better trip!

Great story!!! 1978!! :light:

Jack Swords - 10-14-2020 at 06:15 AM

One trip into Mission Santa Maria we made a point of driving over to talk to a fellow Ham, Ralph. Spent much of the day with Ralph showing us around and discussing the road into the Mission. He drove a fat tired motorcycle back to the mission regularly, in fact, the tracks were all over it when we drove in. I remember his showing us the well he dug by hand for water. Very friendly guy with impressive history.

Different version of that story

thebajarunner - 10-14-2020 at 08:41 AM

Thanks Ken...
I am interested with history of the ranch and it is a rich one!
The runway (and ranch driveway form Mex 1) was paved in late 1973 with the highway paving or just after as a "gift" to Josefina from her new friend the president of Mexico (Luis Echeverria) after he spent the night at Rancho Santa Ynez during his tour through Baja seeking a project to improve the peninsula.

Pilots have loved Santa Ynez due to its location and as a key checkpoint and pitting spot for the first Mexican (Baja) 1000 races (1967-1973). Josefina knew what was important in the remote area to bring in business and help pilots in need.

Ken, great photos!
Fred and Josefina both died a few years ago, Josefina first in the late 80s, I think? The man you are thinking of is Ralph, who lives by the arroyo on adjoining property to the north. He has a HAM Radio and has been known to help those in need after attempting to reach Mission Santa María. I have never met him... I guess because I have never been in need?

Other Nomads or lurkers, I would enjoy hearing your experiences at the epic spot in central Baja! email: info*at*vivabaja.com
Gracias!!!

The story at the time of paving was that the government surveyors had not properly laid out the course of the new highway and failed to get permission from Josefina for installing the new pavement across a corner of her rancho.
So, in exchange they paved the runway as payment for the road easement.

Both good stories, who know the truth...

David K - 10-14-2020 at 11:16 AM

That would be a way of Echeverria to justify his 'gift'! LOL

David K - 10-14-2020 at 11:48 AM

The runway paving has disintegrated over the years since 1973 and the strip is probably not registered?

It has a lot of history!
Here it is in books over the years:

1967:

1972:

1974:

1988:

1996:

[Edited on 10-14-2020 by David K]

David K - 10-14-2020 at 03:52 PM

Speaking of history...
1982, my dad and I at Rancho Santa Ynez, on our fishing trip to/from Laguna Manuela. Also, a Google Earth view of the runway, looking east:

1982 Santa Ynez.jpg - 52kB

Santa Ynez.jpg - 186kB

thebajarunner - 10-14-2020 at 07:05 PM

The runway had dirt berms across it some years back
Narco issues no doubt

As a real estate developer I can tell you that asphalt needs constant use or it deteriorates.
Seems contrary, but lack of constant compacting makes the black stuff crumble.

JohnMcfrog - 10-14-2020 at 07:23 PM

We stop here anytime going down highway 1 to Abreojos. Ralph usually shows up and tells us stories about the good old days. The ranch is operational, but the heffa and her guy are about the nicest people you could meet . $8 or $9 bucks a night, water at the spicot and sanitarios that are not bad. A beautiful valley of peace and silence. Here is a picture of Ralph and my wife this year:

IMG_5025s.jpg - 107kB

Ralph pioneered the search and rescue operation in Borrego many years ago. He used 2 meter ham radio from his plane to direct ground operations to people in trouble in the desert. He still looks young for his age and fit.

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by JohnMcfrog]

steekers - 10-14-2020 at 07:31 PM

The last period of government registration approval was Feb 2004-Feb 2009. Back then it was a 5 year period. Likely this time it will be extended to 15 years, like Punta Final and some others. The Mexican Government lists the airport IATA code as SIN and spells it Santa Ines.:light:

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by steekers]

David K - 10-14-2020 at 08:42 PM

Inés is the correct spelling for the lady's name. If no accent, then using a 'z' makes the strong sound, as in Cortez for Cortés.

The desire of the owner to use a Y and the Z is it why maps show that. Oh, and yes, on one ranch sign it is spelled Inez! LOL

Catavina

ch47pilot - 10-15-2020 at 08:31 AM

What ever happened to "Got a Peso"?

AKgringo - 10-15-2020 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ch47pilot  
What ever happened to "Got a Peso"?

I wouldn't know what to search for, but I recall someone on this forum reported that he wound up north of the border for medical treatment.

That was a couple of years ago, and I have no idea of who, what, where and when, or even if there is any truth to it.

David K - 10-15-2020 at 09:17 AM

Search Gotta Peso... I bumped up a 5 year old post by woody with a photo of him. Paulina has photos, too... as I recall?

5 y/o post with photo: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81266

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by David K]

Pablito1 - 10-15-2020 at 02:14 PM

Great post. This morning early I got to reading over what's been said and remembering the times that we have sat at that table in front of the restaurant and ate Matilda's good food. How fast the years pass.

Regards Pablo

David K - 10-15-2020 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
Great post. This morning early I got to reading over what's been said and remembering the times that we have sat at that table in front of the restaurant and ate Matilda's good food. How fast the years pass.

Regards Pablo

Seriously, right?

July 2001:
L to R bench: local boy, my Sarah, Miguelito Humfreville, my Christopher (back to camera), Mary Ann Humfreville, Debra "Travelpearl", Ron "Desert Rat".
Standing (LtoR): David Eidell "Dah-veed", Mike "El Camote", and Mike Humfreville... my Viva Baja Van squad.

David Nuevo - 10-18-2020 at 07:44 PM

I was looking for the photo of the sign at the highway that read: 'GOOD FUD' (food).
Not the one at Mex 1, but we got the idea. December, 2004

Dec. 2004.JPG - 77kB

[Edited on 10-19-2020 by David Nuevo]

David K - 10-18-2020 at 07:55 PM

Thanks New David!

FUD..!

AKgringo - 10-18-2020 at 08:02 PM

FUD is also a brand of Mexican lunch meats and hot dogs.

chippy - 10-18-2020 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
FUD is also a brand of Mexican lunch meats and hot dogs.
Which, contrary to what some might think, isn't some cute calque made up by them there poor ignorant Mexicans. :light:

"Fundada en 1950 a través de una pequeña empacadora, la compañía adquirió su nombre en 1954, siglas que significan “Finos, Únicos y Deliciosos” .

Funny that! It´s never been any of those in my lifetime:lol:.

David Nuevo - 10-19-2020 at 07:45 AM

"Fundada en 1950 a través de una pequeña empacadora, la compañía adquirió su nombre en 1954, siglas que significan"Finos, Unicos y Deliciosos”

Not that I assumed the company was going for the phonetic English, but I never thought to research it...great post!

[Edited on 10-19-2020 by David Nuevo]

AKgringo - 10-19-2020 at 07:57 AM

There is a restaurant in Anchorage that has Spam specialties, maybe the one in this thread is proud of their fried bologna!

Any photos of airplanes taking off or landing?

steekers - 10-19-2020 at 08:52 AM

Great post so far. I wonder if any Nomad has photos of seeing any airplanes, military or civilian, taking off or landing at SIN?? If so please post.