BajaNomad

San Felipe Hotel Question

basautter - 3-1-2019 at 05:28 AM

Last time I was in San Felipe, the El Cortez was closed and under construction. Someone told me it was being split into two hotels with El Cortez taking keeping the newer portion with the bar and pool. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, what is the name of the hotel on the left (facing the sea)? Thanks in advance!

It's true - partly

John M - 3-1-2019 at 06:28 AM

Mid- 2018 the part of the El Cortez closest to town had been separated and renamed, I believe new owners as well. That part was, In May, Hotel Playa phone 686-577-1324

We spoke to the office receptionist and it was priced similar to the El Cortez - $80 per night, but "tonight we have specials" - at a lower cost!

Parking directly in front of your room. If I can get this to work I'll post a photo or two.

John M

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by John M]

PaulW - 3-1-2019 at 06:56 AM

Times are changing due to the brothers feud. They split the place in two parts.
A big block wall separates the two parts. The good restaurant is called Barefoot Bar and is on the north side.
Pretty quiet these days with hardly any customers for either hotel. Mid week the Southside restaurant had no customers. The Barefoot Bar had a few tables occupied and loud music and dinner special on Wednesday. If we go back we will skip Wednesday. Otherwise they had a good menu.
The southside restaurant is called Matilda.
Did not pay attention regarding the hotel names.

basautter - 3-1-2019 at 09:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

David K - 3-1-2019 at 05:08 PM

Thanks... it's always nice to know the options if Shell Island is surrounded by sea water! ;)

basautter - 3-1-2019 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks... it's always nice to know the options if Shell Island is surrounded by sea water! ;)

Agreed DK, but Shell Island is a bit far from the San Felipe 250. :cool:

David K - 3-1-2019 at 06:02 PM

The race course is just west of it when I last looked at the map... but I didn't see anything about the race in this thread?