BajaNomad

Armed Robbery Punta San Jose Lighthouse 4am

AnimalLovers - 3-2-2019 at 11:52 AM

Saturday morning, 4am (3/2/2019), we were robbed by at least two armed men while camping at the point (near the outhouse). We were in our truck camper. They fired at least 4 shots into the camper breaking 2 windows, putting a hole in our roof from the inside, and damaging other stuff inside. We handed them our money without exiting the vehicle and they finally left. They wanted us to open the doors and get out. They walked to the people camped next to us. We would like to know if they are okay - are you out there somewhere? We drove away as soon as the robbers walked away.

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by AnimalLovers]

bajatrailrider - 3-2-2019 at 12:07 PM

Where is this place?

elgatoloco - 3-2-2019 at 12:08 PM

Bummer. Glad you are OK.

TMW - 3-2-2019 at 12:20 PM

It's on the coast southwest of Santo Tomas.

LancairDriver - 3-2-2019 at 12:41 PM

Firing blindly into the camper shows they aren’t concerned if anyone is killed or injured. A couple of shots fired harmlessly up into the air would have gotten the attention they wanted I’m sure. Seems there may be a new trend in tactics. Hope the next victims targeted are as lucky as these people.

chuckie - 3-2-2019 at 01:30 PM

And, sadly, there will be next victims...It keeps getting worse.....

joerover - 3-2-2019 at 01:32 PM

Has anyone put pins in a map for each armed robbery? To show if certain areas are becoming more dangerous?

I posted about Cabo TJ and La Paz moving up to 1, 5 ,and 6 on the most dangerous places list, and got yelled at for doing so.

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Has anyone put pins in a map for each armed robbery? To show if certain areas are becoming more dangerous?

I posted about Cabo TJ and La Paz moving up to 1, 5 ,and 6 on the most dangerous places list, and got yelled at for doing so.

Sorry to hear about the robbery.

It has been known for years that you should not camp on the coast from border to San Quintin. Stick to fenced/established campgrounds and hotels.

Is the lighthouse area open camping or an established biz?
Isn’t that fenced/armed cult compound located near there?

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Firing blindly into the camper shows they aren’t concerned if anyone is killed or injured. A couple of shots fired harmlessly up into the air would have gotten the attention they wanted I’m sure. Seems there may be a new trend in tactics. Hope the next victims targeted are as lucky as these people.

Many criminals, no matter the country, are deranged, psychopaths, meth heads, or otherwise abnormal sociopaths that don’t think twice about being violent.

Don’t camp on beach anywhere within 30 miles of urbanized areas.

David K - 3-2-2019 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Faro San José is west of Cataviña, Seven Sisters... Faro means lighthouse... But unlikely there compared to Punta San José, west of Santo Tomás... ?? Hope we hear back from the OP for clarity as so many places in Mexico share the same name.

mtgoat666 - 3-2-2019 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Where is this place?

Surf spot and fish camp SW of santo Tomas.

joerover - 3-2-2019 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Firing blindly violent.

Don’t camp on beach anywhere within 30 miles of urbanized areas.

si senior

AnimalLovers - 3-2-2019 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Faro San José is west of Cataviña, Seven Sisters... Faro means lighthouse... But unlikely there compared to Punta San José, west of Santo Tomás... ?? Hope we hear back from the OP for clarity as so many places in Mexico share the same name.

This is the surf spot called Lighthouse at Punta San Jose SW of Santo Tomas

StuckSucks - 3-2-2019 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AnimalLovers  
This is the surf spot called Lighthouse at Punta San Jose SW of Santo Tomas

Punta San Jose

BajaBlanca - 3-2-2019 at 06:24 PM

This is really disturbing.

So glad you are OK and so worried that the next guys' weren't as fast on their feet as you.

Your guardian angel was right by your side.

bajatrailrider - 3-2-2019 at 11:01 PM

Ok I ride by the light house many times . See surfers camped there. Very sad news indeed.

ehall - 3-3-2019 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Ok I ride by the light house many times . See surfers camped there. Very sad news indeed.

I thought that was were we rode to.

20180526_113744-800x450.jpg - 124kB

bajatrailrider - 3-3-2019 at 08:18 AM

Yes Ed the fish camp next to it sometimes occupied. It is a long ways in the dirt to get there.

AnimalLovers - 3-3-2019 at 11:41 PM

Joe,

Are you practicing some sort of PTSD therapy to get me to transfer my anger from the robbers to you? If so, it's working.

I can at least understand their situation. The robbers are likely uneducated and impoverished, with little opportunity to do something better with their lives. What's your excuse?

I don't have a track record on this site because despite over twenty years of Baja experience, living in our camper full time for the past ten years, including three years driving the Pan Am, I'm not a know-it-all narcissistic conspiracy theorist who's chief hobby seems to be trolling this forum. Until there is a rigorous system of background checks for commenters, it's just not worth the irritation.

In this case, we thought it was important to get this story out to as many Baja travelers as possible. Also, we were, and still are concerned about the campers who were likely victimized after us. Hopefully, the robbers ran out of bullets and called it a night.

After the event at Punta San Jose, we immediately drove to Santo Tomas to try to get the police to check on our fellow campers. We did file a report, but they were not very helpful. They had me call 911 to report the incident to the Ensenada police. Ensenada claimed that they would send officers to check on the others, and to search for the robbers. I don't know if they followed through. The 911 call center does have English speaking staff, which is good to know. I also flagged down a humvee full of soldiers that was headed to Erindira from Santo Tomas. The captain seemed interested, but likewise, I don't know if they took action.

Next time you're offline and actually on the road, stop by Santo Tomas to read the police report. If you ask nicely, maybe they'll show you the three shotgun shell wads they recovered from inside our lovely home on wheels.

Unfortunately, you won't get to see the 22 caliber slug we found inside our refrigerator. You also won't get to see the casing my wife just found that came from either that shot or the shot that went through both our ceiling and fiberglass roof. Likewise for the pieces of glass and shrapnel we find everytime we shake a blanket or put on a different pair of shoes.

And pictures! We have pictures of the hole in the refrigerator door with the slug that caused it. We have pictures of the hole in the ceiling. We have pictures of the broken window frame on the access door and the sloppy, but serviceable repair work done by the vidrio shop in Maneadero. It's a small blue building on the west side of the highway. The repair guy is a sweet, old, cross-eyed man named Alejandro, just so you can confirm all the important details.

We also have a picture of a broken cutting board and a huge dent in the edge of our stainless steel counter top from a shotgun slug. I really enjoy that one. It reminds me how my head was only a couple feet below, as I laid naked and bleeding on broken glass while ducking for cover behind the sofa. Would that be enough to prove the "alleged" incident, Joe?

My wife reported this incident on this forum and on another Baja facebook forum. I'm sure you can find it with some basic googling. She hasn't posted pictures yet. It's been over 36 hours now, and it's not like either of us are sleeping at this point, so she should get right on that for you.

We did not file a report with the US Consulate. I'm not sure what good that would do, but it is probably no less a waste of time than responding to all your questions and insinuations.

Were the robbers on drugs? It was 4am. It was dark. I was barely awake. They wore hats and bandanas to cover their faces. We were inside the truck. They were outside the truck. When I wasn't ducking for cover, they were shining flashlights in my face. I don't know if they were high, and it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

As far as the gunshots go, the whole point of firing the guns was to get us to comply with their "request" to open the door. Try reading the original post.

And the noise? What the hell do the robbers care about noise? They are the ones making the noise, and they are making the noise with guns. Guns. I'm sure our neighbors heard the shots, but they didn't come running, and I don't blame them. Unarmed people don't normally run towards the sound of gunfire. Hell, even armed soldiers, security guards, and police officers sometimes fail to engage.

And to address what I hope, but doubt, will be the last of you're stupid questions, are you really asking why someone would camp close to an outhouse? In Mexico? On a Baja forum? You know, without pictures, Joe, I'm not convinced you've ever actually been to Baja.

With that, I'll let my much more well-mannered communications director retake the reigns. I can lead a horse to water, but it can't drink with it's head up it's ass.

fishbuck - 3-4-2019 at 12:19 AM

Thank you for this report.
I am glad you are ok.

LancairDriver - 3-4-2019 at 12:31 AM

Glad you came out of that experience Ok. The culprits are without a doubt very dangerous hombres and need to be dealt with. And thank you for the report, it is certainly not lost on most of us. Sorry you had to be exposed to JJJ, and hope you don’t abandon the forum because of him or a few others like him..

BornFisher - 3-4-2019 at 08:38 AM

What a horrible experience. Must have seemed like an eternity waiting for them to leave. Thank you for the report, hope you heal to the point of resuming your travels.

David K - 3-4-2019 at 11:00 AM

Thank you AnimalLovers for taking time to share. There are so many people who read this forum and never post here, that your story has far-reaching consequences that may help... Although, perhaps only to encourage others to keep away from the area or sneak a gun to Mexico to equalize the conditions. I am so lucky, I guess, that in all the travels to remote or popular locations, no such incident has ever happened to my family. If you took photos and are challenged by Nomad's photo posting conditions to share them, I am happy to help!

[Edited on 10-17-2023 by David K]

mojo_norte - 3-4-2019 at 01:26 PM

Probably not a shotgun which shoot pellets and make big holes at close range

BajaRat - 3-5-2019 at 06:23 PM

Animallovers,
That was a close one, so glad you guys are OK.
PSJ area has had a number of robberies but shots fired, that sucks.
We have also been experiencing elevated attacks on our sanity and intellect here on Nomads by gutless, clueless keyboard clowns disguised as trolls. Pay no mind.
Thanks for the report, I think I will leave PSJ to my fond childhood memories.
Lionel:cool:

hobomoto - 6-12-2019 at 09:48 PM

Saturday morning, 4am (3/2/2019), we were robbed by at least two armed men while camping at the point (near the outhouse). We were in our truck camper. They fired at least 4 shots into the camper breaking 2 windows, putting a hole in our roof from the inside, and damaging other stuff inside. We handed them our money without exiting the vehicle and they finally left. They wanted us to open the doors and get out. They walked to the people camped next to us. We would like to know if they are okay - are you out there somewhere? We drove away as soon as the robbers walked away.

Hey AnimalLovers,

Just stumbled on this thread and thought you would appreciate some info. Figured it was worth registering for.

I can verify your story and likely confirm that no-one else was hurt or bothered that night. My girlfriend and I pulled up to PSJ midday on Sunday March 3rd to camp. That would have been the day after your incident.

We were invited by a guy traveling solo in a grey van who wore a straw hat to come camp near them for safety. His name might have been Wade.. or Will, I can't remember. Nice guy who had been camped out there for about a week he said. There was also another couple in a black truck camped by him.

They told us the story of loud noises and breaking glass in the middle of the night coming from where a truck camper was parked and the camper taking off in the dark. I assume this was you guys. From his report, they walked over and saw the broken glass in the morning.

To them, it was unclear what happened. They assumed a break in, but didn't mention hearing gunshots. It was probably confusing waking up so early in the morning to a bunch of noise.

The military was camped out half way up the dirt hill to the fish camp. I assume they weren't there when you were camped? Maybe they came based on your report of the incident?

We actually stayed that night at PSJ camped near the other folks. No other issues occurred. We all left around the same time the next day. They headed down further south, we had to get back stateside.

Not sure we would have stayed that night had we known you had gunshots fired blindly into your vehicle... from the story we heard, we thought it was just a smash and grab. Sucks, I have good memories camping there. I'll have to think hard before camping there again with my GF. I've been robbed at gunpoint and got pistol-whipped before stateside. It messed with my head for a while after. Not an experience I care to repeat or put her through.

Hope you guys are doing well since then,

Dom

David K - 6-13-2019 at 06:26 AM

Thank you, hobomoto Dom for joining Nomad to share that!

shari - 6-13-2019 at 09:10 AM

I hadnt heard about the incident but want to thank the folks who reported it for informing the public about the danger. It is important to keep up with where and where not to remote camp...I like the idea of a map with pins of crimes with dates on them...maybe David K can do it!

Always the military are your best bet for action and sounds like they did respond as they were camped there after the report.

JoeJustJoe - 6-13-2019 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hobomoto  

Just stumbled on this thread and thought you would appreciate some info. Figured it was worth registering for.

I can verify your story and likely confirm that no-one else was hurt or bothered that night. My girlfriend and I pulled up to PSJ midday on Sunday March 3rd to camp. That would have been the day after your incident.

We were invited by a guy traveling solo in a grey van who wore a straw hat to come camp near them for safety. His name might have been Wade.. or Will, I can't remember. Nice guy who had been camped out there for about a week he said. There was also another couple in a black truck camped by him.

They told us the story of loud noises and breaking glass in the middle of the night coming from where a truck camper was parked and the camper taking off in the dark. I assume this was you guys. From his report, they walked over and saw the broken glass in the morning.

To them, it was unclear what happened. They assumed a break in, but didn't mention hearing gunshots. It was probably confusing waking up so early in the morning to a bunch of noise.

Hobomoto, you and the guy traveling solo in the straw hat, must have the wrong people for two reasons, and therefore, it appears you can't confirm the alleged shooting incident.

Reason 1, the couple who were allegedly shot at and robbed, at that Baja Camp ground, were not traveling in a black truck, but were actually traveling in a white truck camper, and I posted the photo of their camper below, which was taking Heather's and Scott's Adventures on Facebook, and I remember Heather, posted about this on "Talk Baja" and Scott, posted about it here on "Baja Nomad."

Reason 2, The nice guy in the straw hat, said, according to you, that he heard loud noises, and glass breaking in the middle of the night, but he didn't hear gunshots. Gunshots, are unmistakable at a close distance, especially from a shot gun, and the .22, which meant two arm-weapons were used. ( supposedly both shotgun shells and .22 shells were recovered) So if a shot gun was actually used, the guy with the straw hat should have mentioned hearing gun shots, or at least loud firecrackers, or something like a M-80 explosives going off.

Here is truck or camper, it's not black, it's white: ( I think it's a Tiger, or something like that, and it's older than 10 years old)

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Thank you so much for giving us some closure

AnimalLovers - 6-13-2019 at 03:01 PM

Hey AnimalLovers,

The military was camped out half way up the dirt hill to the fish camp. I assume they weren't there when you were camped? Maybe they came based on your report of the incident?

We actually stayed that night at PSJ camped near the other folks. No other issues occurred. We all left around the same time the next day. They headed down further south, we had to get back stateside.

Not sure we would have stayed that night had we known you had gunshots fired blindly into your vehicle... from the story we heard, we thought it was just a smash and grab. Sucks, I have good memories camping there. I'll have to think hard before camping there again with my GF. I've been robbed at gunpoint and got pistol-whipped before stateside. It messed with my head for a while after. Not an experience I care to repeat or put her through.

Dom

Thanks so much for registering and sharing your story. We have been curious and worried about what happened to the other people camping next to us. We wonder if the robbers maybe ran out of bullets and thus decided not to rob them too? We flagged down a military Humvee in Santo Tomas and told the captain about the incident. It's great to hear that they may have actually gone out there because of our report. Curious about where you were robbed in the USA? Is there a way to PM each other? We are hanging in there. It still messes with our heads a bit. Time will heal? Thanks again.

hobomoto - 6-13-2019 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Hobomoto, you and the guy traveling solo in the straw hat, must have the wrong people for two reasons, and therefore, it appears you can't confirm the alleged shooting incident.

Reason 1, the couple who were allegedly shot at and robbed, at that Baja Camp ground, were not traveling in a black truck, but were actually traveling in a white truck camper, and I posted the photo of their camper below, which was taking Heather's and Scott's Adventures on Facebook, and I remember Heather, posted about this on "Talk Baja" and Scott, posted about it here on "Baja Nomad."

Reason 2, The nice guy in the straw hat, said, according to you, that he heard loud noises, and glass breaking in the middle of the night, but he didn't hear gunshots. Gunshots, are unmistakable at a close distance, especially from a shot gun, and the .22, which meant two arm-weapons were used. ( supposedly both shotgun shells and .22 shells were recovered) So if a shot gun was actually used, the guy with the straw hat should have mentioned hearing gun shots, or at least loud firecrackers, or something like a M-80 explosives going off.

Here is truck or camper, it's not black, it's white: ( I think it's a Tiger, or something like that, and it's older than 10 years old)

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Joe,

With regards to your points:

1.) Please re-read my post. It was the straw hat guy and the couple in the black truck who I met at PSJ. They told me the story of the truck camper who left in the dark after a lot of noise and commotion. In the morning they found broken glass where he had been camped This was the story told to me by the remaining campers after the incident.

I then found this post here and the two independent stories fit together. I strongly believe the OP's story based on what I heard from other campers at PSJ.

2.) They guy in the straw hat didn't mention gunshots one way or the other. He said something along the lines of loud noises and commotion and breaking glass.

As far as why he didn't tell me anything about gunshots... who knows? Only he does.

Maybe he didn't want to scare us? Maybe the shots startled him awake and he only could really confirm what he heard after? Keep in mind they were not camped right next to each other. There is lots of space to spread out there.

Anyway, I posted this info mainly for the OP whose story I believe based on what I heard from the other campers that weekend. I wanted the OP to know the other campers were ok. You can choose to ignore it or disbelieve it. Its up to you. I don't really care.

hobomoto - 6-13-2019 at 11:27 PM

Hey AnimalLovers,

Dom

Thanks so much for registering and sharing your story. We have been curious and worried about what happened to the other people camping next to us. We wonder if the robbers maybe ran out of bullets and thus decided not to rob them too? We flagged down a military Humvee in Santo Tomas and told the captain about the incident. It's great to hear that they may have actually gone out there because of our report. Curious about where you were robbed in the USA? Is there a way to PM each other? We are hanging in there. It still messes with our heads a bit. Time will heal? Thanks again.

Yeah there were bunch of soldiers posted up there with a Hummer. Part of the reason we felt safe after hearing the story I guess.

Did my descriptions of the other campers match who you met? I assume no-one else was robbed because the campers I spoke to only mentioned a truck camper leaving in the dark. They didn't mention anything about anyone else.

As far as me getting robbed in the states, it actually happened in a nice part of San Diego. I was 18 at the time (36 now). It sucked, I remember my illusion of safety being pretty much shattered and feeling like anything could happen at anytime. Eventually that all faded away.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

-Dom

Hook - 6-14-2019 at 08:25 AM

Doncha just love it when a guy hundreds of miles away on a keyboard tries to decide what happened that night, over two, on-scene groups?

Ferget the straw hat, JJJ. Work on removing yer a$$hat.

Mother of Dragons - 6-14-2019 at 09:39 AM

Thank you animal lovers and hobomoto.
I appreciate your posts about YOUR first hand experiences.
So sorry they were this kind. Very scary.

Howard - 6-14-2019 at 10:06 AM

Thank you for posting this incidence as that is one of the many features this forum was built around, helping and educating others about Baja.

As in life, you take in the information and process it in your own way.

Now and then, I consider not reading and contributing to this site due to a few very unhappy people that seem to enjoy spreading their misery to others. Same people, same attitude with virtually nothing to contribute and appear to this untrained mind, extremely unstable.

Can't weed them out and probably shouldn't, so just know most of have a smile on our face and they lead a very pathetic sad life. That's reward enough for me.

VIVA LA BAJA!