http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92368

Los Cocos robbery
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92225

Armed Robbery Punta San Jose Lighthouse 4am
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92297

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxVlN-LzIks

David K - 3-7-2019 at 05:47 AM

You should hear the nightly news in most American cities! :(
Bad stuff happens anywhere... Do you stop enjoying life and remain locked inside your own home because of it?
The hope (I guess) is reporting the bad news will bring about a positive change.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2019 at 06:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You should hear the nightly news in most American cities! :(

Violence in USA makes violence in Mexico OK ?

That argument doesn’t fly very well with gringo or Mexicans.

David K - 3-7-2019 at 06:54 AM

No, the point is that there isn't only crime in Baja... it exists in your own community where you don't stop doing what you want because of it.

pacificobob - 3-7-2019 at 07:52 AM

No, the point is that there isn't only crime in Baja... it exists in your own community where you don't stop doing what you want because of it.

people are more comfortable with violence while in a familiar environment. (home) when placed in a foreign place the same event the can ignore at home will frighten them in the less familiar place. fear is immune to logic. if gringos want to be afraid, let them be afraid.

David K - 3-7-2019 at 08:45 AM

Agree... Be Very Afraid!

Bajaboy - 3-7-2019 at 08:48 AM

Agree... Be Very Afraid!

Hence the National Emergency,....:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 3-7-2019 at 09:09 AM

So, you leave your front door open at night?

JZ - 3-7-2019 at 09:21 AM

Live has passed the op by. Sad.

4x4abc - 3-7-2019 at 09:23 AM

I think any increase in violence against campers/surfers and campo residents should make us very alert. Not so much Mexicans killing Mexicans in big urban places.

Whether it is indeed an increase in violence (Bahia de los Angeles murders, Los Cocos armed robbery, Punta San Jose armed robbery, Los Barriles armed robbery) or whether information is flowing faster today, is hard to say.

But it certainly seems a bit much for less than a year.

I have expats friends in La Paz arming themselves. Not a route that I would go - but it highlights the amount of fear spreading.

Bubba - 3-7-2019 at 09:24 AM

Winner!

pacificobob - 3-7-2019 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Agree... Be Very Afraid!

Hence the National Emergency,....:lol::lol::lol:

rapists, drug dealers and rapists coming to a suburb near you!
have i mentioned rapists?

Danger Danger

MrBillM - 3-7-2019 at 10:22 AM

There is a HIGH likelihood that Gringo Tourists traveling in Afghanistan will encounter violent crime.

Those planning a trip to Kabul should take that into consideration.

OK, that's silly, BUT .....................

Comparing crime stats affecting foreign tourists in Mexico to areas of U.S. cities where NO Tourist would venture is ABSURD.

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2019 at 10:23 AM

I have decided to play to LOCA BLANCA if I have no out. Haven't told Les yet about that idea!

And if I have an out, I have an escape plan to exit the house, fast, without being seen.

It is much better to be aware of what is happening around us, whether crime has increased or not.

Bajaboy - 3-7-2019 at 10:33 AM

So, you leave your front door open at night?

Oh you got me there David....but I don't lock it during the day:lol:

In Bahia Asuncion we don't lock our doors....

At Home in the E.U.

MrBillM - 3-7-2019 at 10:44 AM

The (would-be) intruders are unsure what they may encounter beyond the door.

Much less so in Mexico.

In my home, they'd likely be outgunned.

AKgringo - 3-7-2019 at 10:54 AM

Although I don't have as much time south of the border as many of the followers of this forum, I have been observing changes in Mexico since 1957 (I was ten).

Seeing bars on the windows of most houses was new to me, and we soon learned that if you love it , lock it! Aside from petty thefts, we never had any truly bad experience, but there were areas that we were advised to avoid.

In any population, north or south of the border, there are criminals. The larger the population, the larger the number of criminals.

The wild card thrown into the deck, is that drug use in the Mexican culture has increased, and has changed the nature of the criminals!

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2019 at 11:27 AM

See no evil
Hear no evil
Speak no evil
Dont be evil

Stick your head in the sand, and follow the golden rule.

Barry A. - 3-7-2019 at 11:46 AM

Here is my anecdotal take: I and my Family have ALWAYS locked our doors and windows, both during the day and at night, both in Mexico and in the USA. I ALWAYS use "THE CLUB" wheel-lock on my vehicles left outside, and ALWAYS lock them up at night. Other than a license plate stolen several years ago, I have NEVER had ANYTHING stolen from me in 81 years.

CONCLUSION: It pays to be careful, and heed warning info. Thanks to all who provide information like this.

AKgringo - 3-7-2019 at 12:12 PM

And this has what to do with the original topic? Come on guys, let this topic run it's course without a hijack!

JoeJustJoe - 3-7-2019 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I think any increase in violence against campers/surfers and campo residents should make us very alert. Not so much Mexicans killing Mexicans in big urban places.

Whether it is indeed an increase in violence (Bahia de los Angeles murders, Los Cocos armed robbery, Punta San Jose armed robbery, Los Barriles armed robbery) or whether information is flowing faster today, is hard to say.

But it certainly seems a bit much for less than a year.

I have expats friends in La Paz arming themselves. Not a route that I would go - but it highlights the amount of fear spreading.

Yeah that's the mentality on this site. That if it happens to campers, surfers, and campo residents( implying gringos) than it's very important, but if it's just Mexicans on Mexicans crimes/homicides than it's not that important.

With that thought in mind, looking at the crime links only the bahia killings were confirmed gringo homicides victims.

The rest of the reports are unconfirmed, unsubstantiated, and/or 3rd party reports where some alleged victims weren't American ex-pats or tourists.

When gringos are killed some member will always claim it will be the end of Mexican tourism as they know it.

Then what follows Mexico has a record number of foreign tourists regardless of the homcide numbers.

This tells me the fear mongers and alarmists must work harder scaring tourists from visiting Mexico.

Now after about five straight years of record tourism to Mexico, finally tourism is down about 10% which really isnt much.

joerover - 3-7-2019 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Then what follows Mexico has a record number of foreign tourists regardless of the homcide numbers.

Not so.
Any gringo talking about visiting Mexico, will recieve multiple warnings not to go. Mostly related to bandidos con placas, though.

On Amtrak I told some girls riding home from their basketball game in SF I was going to Mexico. They made up a song to sing for me about the dangers of MX. They got off the train in LA and went home to Watts.

The wife of Vincent Fox, while visiting Oregon, asked people why they dont visit Mexico?
10 out of 10 answered, they were robbed, mostly by migration officals.

Drug use is up, so crime is up.

Distrust ................

MrBillM - 3-7-2019 at 02:50 PM

......... Is its own reward.

Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.

Barry A. - 3-7-2019 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
......... Is its own reward.

Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.

Hmmmm, how about "expect the worst, and you avoid disappointment"?!?!? Yes, I like that!

(-:

Avoiding Disappointment

MrBillM - 3-7-2019 at 07:38 PM

OK.

Experience has been that the most common form of the expression is " ........ and you won't be disappointed ......", but either works.

It's the thought that counts.

Speaking of which, mistrust would have been more appropriate than distrust.

Bubba - 3-8-2019 at 05:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Enrique2012  
"The village idiot rocking chair queen speaks garbage again."

I must come to the defense of Goat666 on this one. While the overwhelming number of Goat's comments are useless and born from the mind of a malcontent with little to offer, I believe the rightful owner of the "rocking chair queen speaking garbage" title goes to JJJ.

However, Goat is a very close runner-up.

Spot on!!!!