BajaNomad

ROBBED in La Paz

Sarah - 3-11-2019 at 04:26 PM

Hi everyone,
Sad story. I had my camera bag stolen out of my vehicle at the Walmart in La Paz on Saturday (March 9th). The worst part of the whole ordeal is that I had three external drives in there that have my entire life's work on (both professional and personal). They are incredibly important and sentimental to me and if I can somehow get them back I am willing to pay. Other items in the bag were a Mavic Air drone, GoPro Hero 6, two lenses, three microphones, an external flash, camera battery and charger and a cheap video camera. If anyone has any advice or can help me in any way it would be much appreciated. I am offering a $500 reward for just the external drives (with all my photos still on them) or $1000 for all my stuff back.

REWARD POSTER2.jpg - 44kB

JZ - 3-11-2019 at 05:29 PM

I can see putting video on external drives, but I certainly hope you had all your photos in something like Google Photos.

It's free and incredibly easy to use.

Skipjack Joe - 3-11-2019 at 10:19 PM

I really feel for you. I fear the same thing when I travel in Baja. I know it will happen eventually. It's just a question of when. What a painful lesson. I hope you they find it.

4x4abc - 3-12-2019 at 07:03 AM

there was another similar robbery at Playa Pichilingue

chuckie - 3-12-2019 at 07:17 AM

Get used to leaving NOTHING of value in your vehicle....

pacificobob - 3-12-2019 at 07:44 AM

something of value visually accessible through a window is the best way to be torn-off. sorry for the loss. best of luck with the recovery of your stuff.

DaliDali - 3-12-2019 at 07:56 AM

Murder, the top priority of crime fighters, goes lacking in MX
And so it goes with lesser crimes, on down to theft from a vehicle.

Not enough training and not enough resources to bring it all together, plus the corruption factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_corruption_in_Mexico

The below site gives some good insight into the why crime (in this case, murder), is a tough go.

"SOLVING A MURDER IN MEXICO IS THE EXCEPTION, NOT THE RULE: it would take 124 years to solve all the murder cases"

"In Mexico, 95% of murders are unpunished"

https://www.animalpolitico.com/kill-murder-mexico/homicides-...

BajaBlanca - 3-12-2019 at 08:23 AM

Sarah! You must be devastated. So sorry to hear about this.

If I were you, I would hit every pawn shop. Posting the reward is also an excellent idea. Best of luck and may the universe conspire to get the external hard drives back!

weebray - 3-12-2019 at 08:53 AM

Not the first report of a break-in at the Wallmart/Sams parking lot. Similar problems have been reported to indifferent management. No change in security. Stay away or leave your car empty.

Don Pisto - 3-12-2019 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

I guess all you folks traveling in self contained RV's can cross this "golden rule" off the list?

Lee - 3-12-2019 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sarah  
Hi everyone,
Sad story. I had my camera bag stolen out of my vehicle at the Walmart in La Paz on Saturday (March 9th). The worst part of the whole ordeal is that I had three external drives in there that have my entire life's work on (both professional and personal). They are incredibly important and sentimental to me and if I can somehow get them back I am willing to pay. Other items in the bag were a Mavic Air drone, GoPro Hero 6, two lenses, three microphones, an external flash, camera battery and charger and a cheap video camera. If anyone has any advice or can help me in any way it would be much appreciated. I am offering a $500 reward for just the external drives (with all my photos still on them) or $1000 for all my stuff back.

I am speechless. Can't imagine this happening to me, but still, it's a major loss for Sarah. Sorry to read about this, Sarah.

Can you fill in some blanks? It might be helpful for those here to learn the lessons from this crime. I shopped this Walmart last week. Always use my alarm and travel with my black Lab who would be easily spooked if someone were around my car.

Was the car a rental? Was this smash and grab (your possessions were in front or back seats)?

Hope your drives were backed up somewhere and guessing they were.

Personally, I think this is a good forum to post your info on. I will continue to be personally cautious at this parking lot. And anywhere I park for that matter.

Good luck in your recovery. Cuidado.

Theft Happens

MrBillM - 3-12-2019 at 03:50 PM

Perps break into vehicles for items of value in the 1st world. More so in the 3rd world. One has to expect it.

Some years back, standing behind another couple at the Avis counter on St. Thomas, the gentleman at the counter said "do you recommend that we leave the car unlocked ? We just came from Jamaica and they said to always leave the car unlocked so the thieves wouldn't damage the vehicle".

The clerk answered "NO ! ALWAYS lock the car, but don't leave anything in sight inside the passenger compartment. Put anything left behind in the trunk or take everything out. The thieves only break-in to the cars where they can see something ."

Sometimes (at least in Baja), even when the vehicle is occupied.

A friend of mine years ago, in his almost new Dodge Ram Quad-cab Diesel after getting a late start on his way to Whale-Watch, pulled over in a rest stop south of Ensenada. Along with wife and kid climbed into his camper for the night. Leaving camera, CD Player and other gear on the backseat. Being awakened by the crashing of BOTH side windows, he jumped out barefoot to see two men who took off running with the gear.

Relating the event later, he lamented that being barefoot, he cut his feet up on the broken glass. Otherwise, he could have caught up with them.

"Yeah", I said, "and then what ?"

Sort of like the "Tire-Biter Dog" catching the car. It doesn't turn out well.

Alm - 3-12-2019 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

I guess all you folks traveling in self contained RV's can cross this "golden rule" off the list?

RVs don't usually stop in WM lots in Mexico. Difficult to maneuver in and out. Especially travel trailers. Besides, most RV-ers are savvy rats and bring from the states everything they need - self contained, like you said.

chuckie - 3-12-2019 at 09:23 PM

And, most have enough common sense to leave someone in the rig if they need to short term park in places like that,

Fernweh - 3-13-2019 at 08:53 AM

Here at the Walmart/Sams parking lot in La Paz, You can easily detect the small thru large RV's, mostly from Overland travellers, some from far away countries...
Many are loaded up to the gills, with special equipment on the roof or hanging on its side. A very interesting sight, you can spot them just driving by, not even entering the parking lots.
Those vehicles might become a theft target more often, than the "standard" local parking space occupant.

I do try to park my car close to the WM entrance, under the sun shades, with more pedestrian traffic around. Not out of security concerns, but I am just too lazy, walking a long distance to my car.

Lee - 3-13-2019 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  

I do try to park my car close to the WM entrance, under the sun shades, with more pedestrian traffic around. Not out of security concerns, but I am just too lazy, walking a long distance to my car.

Always see the European RVs at Maranatha. Semi type tires, high off the ground, and yes, loaded. Saw one at Agricole in Pesky one day. Said they had been NOB and were headed to S. America.

So, security should be a concern at WM. I park in the shade as well. Nothing of value in my SUV except my dog. Alarm is turned on. Thiefs in the parking lot and the store. Won't go into details but the perps are looking for someone asleep at the wheel.

gnukid - 3-13-2019 at 07:05 PM

You can't leave an RV or any camping type car with anything in it out in the open, on the beach or on any street unsupervised anywhere in La Paz. You need a protected secure place or remain with your stuff at all times.

4x4abc - 3-13-2019 at 08:00 PM

thieves love La Paz!
all the advertising for more tourism brings fresh valuables every day
it is high season right now
the thieves really appreciate when you advertise "I have a lot of stuff" by hanging Kayaks and bikes outside
however, they hate it when you bring dogs
they prefer the big adventure trucks over small rentals
but if you are swimming and your rental is the only car at the beach, they don't mind cracking that window really quick - odds are good (even with nothing visible at first glance)

Lee - 3-13-2019 at 10:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
.....but if you are swimming and your rental is the only car at the beach, they don't mind cracking that window really quick - odds are good (even with nothing visible at first glance)

Late 80s on Oahu, at a remote tourist center, I locked my car keys in a rental. Big parking lot a distance from the center. Waited an hour for AAA when I saw 1/2 dozen high school age kids walking by. I told them I'd pay $10 if they could get my car open.

One kid looked around and pulled a Slim Jim (silver, about 18'') from his trousers, slid it in the driver door and the door unlocked. About 3-5 seconds.

Guessing the Mexicans are at least as smart, if not smarter, than the Hawaiians. Definitely a eye opener and lesson learned.

Bubba - 3-14-2019 at 02:22 AM

One kid looked around and pulled a Slim Jim (silver, about 18'') from his trousers, slid it in the driver door and the door unlocked. About 3-5 seconds.

Guessing the Mexicans are at least as smart, if not smarter, than the Hawaiians. Definitely a eye opener and lesson learned.[/rquote]

Do Slim Jim's work in the newer cars? Just asking because my girl friend called AAA a couple yrs ago and they couldn't open hers, 2015 Nissan. Maybe just the driver and he didn't know what the hell he was doing?

Lee - 3-14-2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Do Slim Jim's work in the newer cars? Just asking because my girl friend called AAA a couple yrs ago and they couldn't open hers, 2015 Nissan. Maybe just the driver and he didn't know what the hell he was doing?

I've read pre-2000 vehicles are possible but newer cars maybe. My car was not power locks.

Hoping Sarah will respond with more details as I'm curious how a thief got into her vehicle. Glass broken with a ''window punch'' is quiet enough.

Bubba - 3-15-2019 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I've read pre-2000 vehicles are possible but newer cars maybe. My car was not power locks.

Hoping Sarah will respond with more details as I'm curious how a thief got into her vehicle. Glass broken with a ''window punch'' is quiet enough.

Yes, a window punch is extremely quick and quiet. If I remember correctly, the AAA driver that showed up to open my girl friends car with the Slim Jim said he could possibly do it but would most likely tear up the rubber molding among other things and they wouldn't be responsible for damages, that's when we sent him on his way.

defrag4 - 3-15-2019 at 12:01 PM

Yes, a window punch is extremely quick and quiet. If I remember correctly, the AAA driver that showed up to open my girl friends car with the Slim Jim said he could possibly do it but would most likely tear up the rubber molding among other things and they wouldn't be responsible for damages, that's when we sent him on his way.

seems like most of the AAA guys nowadays use a small wedge to pry open a small gap in the top of the door, then slide a small air bladder in, inflate the air bladder, then slide a long curved stick in and try to hit the power door locks or grab the lock and pull up on it

https://youtu.be/MMuhKZRWdz0?t=56

[Edited on 3-15-2019 by defrag4]

Bubba - 3-15-2019 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  

seems like most of the AAA guys nowadays use a small wedge to pry open a small gap in the top of the door, then slide a small air bladder in, inflate the air bladder, then slide a long curved stick in and try to hit the power door locks or grab the lock and pull up on it

https://youtu.be/MMuhKZRWdz0?t=56

[Edited on 3-15-2019 by defrag4]

Never heard of this method with the air bladder but sounds feasible. You learn something everyday, thanks!

4x4abc - 3-15-2019 at 02:21 PM

I spent some time yesterday afternoon in the La Paz Walmart parking lot
curious if I could spot activities that did not belong there

within minutes I spotted 4 individuals obviously not involved with parking while shopping

working in pairs - one drawing attention to him/herself, the other checking for open doors

one pair with a nice new Mini - US plates, but looking very local
one pair of Mexican guys with an older Mexican plated pickup

they were not afraid to check cars right at the entrances

so, be careful out there!

Lee - 3-15-2019 at 05:00 PM

within minutes I spotted 4 individuals obviously not involved with parking while shopping

working in pairs - one drawing attention to him/herself, the other checking for open doors

Great homework there Harald. Good you spotted them. Assume there are guys at Sorriana, Ley, Chadraui, CCC, etc. checking for unlocked cars and peaking inside.

4x4abc - 3-15-2019 at 05:32 PM

some days ago my gardener made me aware of footprints veering off their original direction towards the door of his parked car while he was working in the yard. Someone had checked his door while he was inside the property.
"Rata!" he said.
I had so many break ins at my house (before I got the dogs) that I too learned every footprint around the property.
I agreed to his track reading.
Rata!
Scared him enough that he is now parking inside.

Today I spotted the owner of the footprints.
A teenage girl in school uniform.
They learn early

defrag4 - 3-15-2019 at 06:02 PM

some days ago my gardener made me aware of footprints veering off their original direction towards the door of his parked car while he was working in the yard. Someone had checked his door while he was inside the property.
"Rata!" he said.
I had so many break ins at my house (before I got the dogs) that I too learned every footprint around the property.
Rata!

They learn early

somebody jumped my locked gate and stole my damn dirty old wet shoes i left lying out front of my house to dry in the sun

now im checking every fools feet who walks around in my hood :mad:

4x4abc - 3-15-2019 at 06:10 PM

well, I won't mention the lightbulbs that kept disappearing outside the house
until I hot wired the housing
it is quiet now

defrag4 - 3-15-2019 at 06:32 PM

just saw this chick post again - bet they were the same dudes, you could have gone up to them and shared the 20,000 peso reward!

"My boyfriend and I were in a convoy with two other couples in campervans and we all went to Walmart to get groceries. I had my boyfriend stay in the car to guard our stuff, along with our dog while I shopped. As I was checking out I feared I hadn’t brought enough cash in and asked him to run some in for me. Unfortunately he left the back door unlocked. He feels terrible. It happened in a flash and our friends were next to us in their vehicles and didn’t notice. Also our dog was in the car and maybe he didn’t notice either? He’s a pretty nice dog and probably wagged his tail at the robber. My advice is NEVER let your guard down, not for a second. Even if you are feeling safe don’t risk it. Always park at the front (we were in the back) when shopping. Obviously lock all your doors. If you have someone with you have them guard the vehicle while you shop. If you have a bag with all your worldly possessions in it like I did, just wear it in the shops! Annoying but I often did that and always felt more relaxed. Because we live in our vehicle it’s obvious to thieves that everything we own is inside. Take every precaution you can. Lock it up, hide it, leave bait bags with broken cameras in them, just do whatever it takes. Whatever you do, don’t not travel to places like this because of fear. Just learn from unlucky people like me how to be more careful. La Paz is a wonderful place with lots of awesome stuff to do and many beautiful, kindhearted people. I hope this is helpful "

[Edited on 3-16-2019 by defrag4]

hermosok123 - 3-15-2019 at 07:04 PM

Working dog breeds, well trained are a serious deterrent and pretty expensive if pro trained as they should be. Care taken to match the energy levels to that of they owner. They can be a handful but for us worth every penny and hour spent learning how to handle them.

David K - 3-15-2019 at 07:04 PM

"Sarah" has only posted once on Nomad, this thread. Odd, with so much interest, that she isn't interacting with us more, isn't it?

defrag4 - 3-15-2019 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Sarah" has only posted once on Nomad, this thread. Odd, with so much interest, that she isn't interacting with us more, isn't it?

seent her post on just about every mexico outlet i follow, the ol wide net method i imagine, hope she gets her stuff back but i imagine its probably in some roadside segunda by now

4x4abc - 3-15-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
Working dog breeds, well trained are a serious deterrent and pretty expensive if pro trained as they should be. Care taken to match the energy levels to that of they owner. They can be a handful but for us worth every penny and hour spent learning how to handle them.

serious guard dogs need a command to attack
but who is giving the command when you are shopping?
heard a solution on a TV show once:
"Good doggy!"

but what to do in Spanish?

bajarich - 3-15-2019 at 09:12 PM

I'm shocked, shocked to hear that something was stolen in a Walmart parking lot. That would never happen in the USA!

willardguy - 3-15-2019 at 09:58 PM

she quickly discovered once was enough?

Bubba - 3-16-2019 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
"Rata!" he said.
Rata!

They learn early

somebody jumped my locked gate and stole my damn dirty old wet shoes i left lying out front of my house to dry in the sun

now im checking every fools feet who walks around in my hood :mad:

Jeezus, that's getting bad.

Pablito1 - 3-16-2019 at 07:27 AM

This is off the subject of Baja. During the 1980s I worked in Peru and thievery was so bad in Lima that you couldn't leave wind shield wiper blades on the car. They were a sure target.

Regards

mtgoat666 - 3-16-2019 at 07:38 AM

I think her intent in posting was to seek her stuff.
She probably is not looking to interact.
She just wants her stuff back.
Will interacting with you get her stuff back?

motoged - 3-17-2019 at 09:22 AM

Feeling lonely David ? Wanting a conspiracy theory ?
Maybe you could post a map of Walmarts in Baja...at least so you might feel more included :?:

Bubba - 3-17-2019 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
This is off the subject of Baja. During the 1980s I worked in Peru and thievery was so bad in Lima that you couldn't leave wind shield wiper blades on the car. They were a sure target.

Regards

That's as bad as stealing old, stinky tennis shoes.

JoeJustJoe - 3-17-2019 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I think her intent in posting was to seek her stuff.
She probably is not looking to interact.
She just wants her stuff back.
Will interacting with you get her stuff back?

Well Sarah, sure was interacting over on Facebook, and saying how her mind was blown by how many shares her first post had, and how many people commented with advice and compassion. She thinks Social media is the most powerful tool of them all.

My question is did all those shares help her find her missing stuff?

She seems to think the alleged perpetrators of the robbery are going to see her social media posts, and return the stuff for the reward she is offering with no questions asked.

It also appears she travels in a 1978, Toyota Chinook, according to her Facebook page that fairly new and has no family and friends. She is also a white women from Australia, yet her email/gmail has a Hispanic surname.

Her second motivation of telling her story seems to be to offer advice to other travelers, and if so, her advice about ,"leaving a bait bags with broken cameras in them," sounds like very bad advice.

Why leave a bait bags in your vehicle? So the robbers can break your vehicles windows, and steal the bait bag? It might be pretty funny to do but you are still left with a broken vehicle window.

Of course while I was reading Facebook, I come across a post asking if one crosses the border do you need a FMM? Of course all the members said yes, and they also claim that you're illegal if you don't have a FMM, and if you get into a car accident in Mexico, your auto insurer won't pay for damages.

I just roll my eyes when I see those posts, especially the part about auto insurance company not paying for damages.

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

chuckie - 3-17-2019 at 11:20 AM

Thank you for your input!

Lee - 3-17-2019 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
Regards

My story isn't far removed from Baja. On a business trip to a upscale suburb of San Jose, Costa Rica, and the owner told me someone needs to be home at all times. If neighbors know the house is empty, they will break in and steal appliances -- toaster, dishes, etc. Rough neighbors.

Comment on Sarah's comments that was posted here from FB I think. Her honesty and integrity in details and feelings about what happened was refreshing, to me. Don't know the probabilities of thiefs seeing her posts but anything is possible. It's possible they want some reward money. Doubt the hard drives have much value to anyone. Hard lesson to learn.

I'm with JJJ on leaving no break-in bait. Looked like Sarah is on track, though, around someone not leaving the RV without someone in it. Since Harald saw suspicious behavior around the parking lot, I would think the thiefs were eying the camper and saw Sarah's partner walk away.

Once shopped Sorrianas in Cabo. Saw teen age kids hanging around and felt slightly uneasy. Returned from shopping and they had taken 4 shiny metal valve stem caps off my tires.

My La Paz Walmart story

AKgringo - 3-17-2019 at 02:17 PM

Three years ago I returned to my Kia with a load of groceries, and there were two young men standing by it. One of them pointed out to me that one of my nearly new windshield wipers was damaged, almost as it had been cut with a knife!

Not to worry though, they just happened to have a handful of used wipers, and could replace it for me right now! As I refused the offer, a Walmart employee came over and ran them away from the shaded parking area.

Maybe they were still in training for break in's at that time? They even had the gall to price their probably stolen blades higher than Walmart was charging!