BajaNomad

San Ysidro / Otay border

chumlee57 - 3-18-2019 at 08:54 PM

As we drove into San Ysidro border crossing on Saturday around 2:30, the typical loop I do up past the "Medical" entry down around the hairpin, past the 2 round a bouts ( If I can't hang a quick left ) and then into the Sentri lane. I noticed another Sentri sign ( new one ) to the left and decided to be adventurous, it ended up taking me out to the Otay Sentri...question, can you still pass the medical entry area and proceed around as usual to get to the San Ysidro Sentri? did I miss a turn to stay at the San Ysidro border, or is that sign to the left a direct shot to Otay. Otay was only 20 mins or so wait time, just curious of the new sign to Sentri and if that sign just outside of San Ysidro sends you to the Sentri in Otay. It's always an anxious time at the border:o

LukeJobbins - 3-19-2019 at 05:34 PM

Yes you can. There are a lot of ways to get to the sentri at San Ysidro. The medical lane loop into the u turn,
or if you are in the road parallel to the border there is a right veer before the normal right turn to San Diego at Pemex, use that and go straight over the bridge then right over the bridge and left at the roundabout,
Or via rapida away from the border and turn right then u turn at the roundabout and cross the river and then you are back on track,
or via rapida toward the border and turn right and hit the roundabout to go to sentri.

My experience lately has been shorter waits and nicer officers at otay.

chumlee57 - 3-20-2019 at 07:55 PM

OK cool, I saw the new sign and wanted to check it out, good to know that we can still pass the medical line, hairpin it and u turn into sentri, I always liked that

LukeJobbins - 3-21-2019 at 10:06 AM

The other one that veers off the highway to go over the bridge is better because it is a tad shorter but more importantly bypasses that medical lane. Too many times the traffic gets stuck waiting for people to enter the medical lane.