BajaNomad

SEEKING LT305/70R16 tire in Mulege, Loreto, or Sta Rosalia (edit: not any more)

David K - 3-22-2019 at 12:30 PM

Asking for a fellow Nomad who needs to replace a spare after a sidewall rip. He is remote but with his one spare on to replace the ripped tire, he can drive out. I am assisting through his inReach device.
Thanks for any help on where to find that tire size, used is fine.

[Edited on 3-24-2019 by David K]

Archie - 3-22-2019 at 12:43 PM

I called the Bridgestone tire shop in Sta. Rosalía, they have on stock that size, BF´s KO and KM2. Not cheap ($5-6K pesos)

My opinion, unless theres no choice, its to get a new tire. Used tires at roadside llanteras usually are regrooved or plugged, wont last long.

David K - 3-22-2019 at 12:47 PM

Thanks... I relayed.. but for sure, a used tire is fine.

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 01:15 PM

I can fly you a tire wherever you want?
But unless you need it to win the Baja 1000 I don't think you can afford me:cool:
Nice to here from Bob and Susan.
How are things at the lighthouse?

The theme of my mini eco resort spa will be an " Observatory"
Kind of like the Lighthouse.
But more science station.

[Edited on 3-22-2019 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
its just not as wide
it will work

the height is the same

Excellent thinking. Cause the fat tire won't mount at the spare location? Right?
But the height is the same so the truck won't be wierd.

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 02:32 PM

Perfect. I will incorporate this into my design. I was already thinking "astrodome".

And please give me you closest runway again?
I want to came stay with you and see how a classy place is run. My girl loves your photos... and she's rich...

Bajazly - 3-22-2019 at 03:36 PM

A 285/70 or a 33” would be by far close enough for a spare. The tricky thing might be the 16” rim. Pero es México, lo resolverán sin problema.

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 04:25 PM

Thank you. I will check it for usability.
I know the San Bruno runway ofcourse. But still not practical. It may melt before it ever gets used.
Maybe Serenidad in Mulege and then a cab to the Lighthouse?
Is there a better runway?

David K - 3-22-2019 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
A 285/70 or a 33” would be by far close enough for a spare. The tricky thing might be the 16” rim. Pero es México, lo resolverán sin problema.

285/70 calculates to be 31.7"x11.2" (yes, I know different brands are slightly different and all tires are not round, etc.)... but 1" smaller is better than 2" smaller (265/70).

In any case, there is a 305/70-16 in Santa Rosalia... So still hoping to hear from Mulegé and Loreto Nomads if they know... and used is ok too. This will be a spare so this Nomad can keep exploring. He will have a kick-ass trip report for us if he can get a spare and keep on his wish list of places to check out.

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 05:42 PM

I will figure it out. I can fit a couple of small motorcyles in one of my planes.
I have also used and infaltable boat for runways near water.
I was wondering about floats.
Is ok?
I like the idea ofcourse.

fishbuck - 3-22-2019 at 06:47 PM

I found an old runway near you. Looks abandoned but cool.
And I could use my boat trick from Serendad easy enough.
You can't stop me!

jDOG - 3-22-2019 at 06:50 PM

Try this for size comparisons.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

4x4abc - 3-22-2019 at 08:08 PM

285/75R16 is a perfect match 634 revs per mile like the 305

jDOG - 3-22-2019 at 08:28 PM

Yep;)

LancairDriver - 3-22-2019 at 08:31 PM

I tore up an oversized tire on my Jeep a couple years ago around Mulege. I was sent to a shop just south of Mulege on hwy 1 as the best bet to find something that worked. Although they didn’t have the right tire in stock, they had someone’s nice race car they were working on with a brand new set of tires on it and pulled one off somebody’s Baja racer that was exactly the right size. Paid same as waiting for one from La Paz. Great service.

fishbuck - 3-23-2019 at 06:31 PM

So... did we ever get our tire?
It seemed way trickier than it should have been.
I have those big 305s on my rig.
F350 4X4 Offroad. With a Mustang engine in it. Short cab, long bed.
Gas miliage low. Smile factor high.
Man am I good!

David K - 3-23-2019 at 06:37 PM

He went to Santa Rosalia and the tire place was practically empty. No tires his size or the alternate that Harald mentioned. He got an undersized used tire for emergency and is doing some exploring but on a graded road, so far.

fishbuck - 3-23-2019 at 06:38 PM

Yikes

David K - 3-23-2019 at 06:44 PM

Santa Rosalia Tire Center today.

Image2120148190.jpg - 176kB

David K - 3-23-2019 at 07:10 PM

He went to 3 other tire shops including the one south side of Mulegé and none had either size he needed.

gnukid - 3-23-2019 at 07:16 PM

Maybe the tire can sent by bus or transport from a major tire store in La Paz?

David K - 3-23-2019 at 07:32 PM

He bought one, as a spare. It just is smaller, so he may not be able to use 4WD.

Ken Cooke - 3-23-2019 at 10:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
He bought one, as a spare. It just is smaller, so he may not be able to use 4WD.

If he is driving on his 4 tires of the same brand, why can't he drive in 4WD? If he drives to La Paz, he will have better luck.

Skipjack Joe - 3-24-2019 at 06:26 AM

Santa Rosalia Tire Center today.

Haha. It's kinda like a blind date.

David K - 3-24-2019 at 08:06 AM

That's funny Igor.

Ken, the brand doesn't matter, the size does. He is on 4 equal tires now. The replacement tire, now his spare, he bought in Santa Rosalia is not as tall, so if he gets a flat off road, his 4WD may not stay engaged. La Paz is over 200 miles away. He is not going any further south.

David K - 3-24-2019 at 11:15 AM

Just chatting with him now, all is well in Baja Sur as he heads north for some more exploring. Looking forward to his trip report!

Ken Cooke - 3-24-2019 at 05:46 PM

That's funny Igor.

Ken, the brand doesn't matter, the size does. He is on 4 equal tires now. The replacement tire, now his spare, he bought in Santa Rosalia is not as tall, so if he gets a flat off road, his 4WD may not stay engaged. La Paz is over 200 miles away. He is not going any further south.

What brand of tires is this guy rolling around on David? Dedicated off road tires don't cut so easily. Discount all terrains are another story. It's always better to purchase equipment that is overbuilt rather than under.

David K - 3-24-2019 at 07:03 PM

I don't know what brand. He was seeking the same diameter because he is a 4WD. When someone said BFG models were available in his size, he was happy. So, maybe he has BFGs ( famous for sidewall fails)? When he went to the tire dealer, well, you saw the tire rack there. He is on the beach for the night in Baja Norte now.

Ken Cooke - 3-24-2019 at 09:17 PM

I don't know what brand. He was seeking the same diameter because he is a 4WD. When someone said BFG models were available in his size, he was happy. So, maybe he has BFGs ( famous for sidewall fails)? When he went to the tire dealer, well, you saw the tire rack there. He is on the beach for the night in Baja Norte now.

He isn't proficient with tire repair, but he is traveling alone? That's another red flag.

[Edited on 3-25-2019 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 3-24-2019 at 10:41 PM

It was a major sidewall cut, unrepairable. Did I not make that clear earlier? This is a long time, outstanding Nomad. He enjoys traveling alone for the peace and solitude... I do as well, but I also like to mix it up and travel with other Nomads... TW is that way too.

TMW - 3-25-2019 at 10:24 AM

If he does not have a locking differential he can use a smaller tire in an emergency. It will affect the handling.