BajaNomad

LOOKING BACK 30 years: Off Road Map for the beach drive from San Felipe to Puertecitos

David K - 4-1-2019 at 03:09 PM

A series of off-road maps with guide info on the back were produced by Richard Russell under the name 'Sidekick'. Here is a look at some of what was included. The San Felipe one was two parts, printed on both sides, and folded like a brochure on heavy stock paper. On the back of the main map page were small maps showing where Baja was, how to find the Mexicali border, crossing Mexicali and San Felipe, along with suggestions for traveling in Mexico.

Here is the rest of the Off-Road Map and guide to driving the coast to Puertecitos, in 1989... [note: the 30-year-old map is out-of-print and no longer available. I am sharing it here for historic maps of Baja education.]

From the map:
El Pelicano was a brief attempt to have a campo on Shell Island (late 1980s).
The pavement south of San Felipe ended at El Coloradito in January 1989.

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 4-5-2019 at 01:15 PM

Did you buy the VHS Baja video as well?

David K - 4-5-2019 at 03:07 PM

No, where did you see that? I think I bought this at the Map Centre in San Diego (no longer in business)?

Ken Cooke - 4-6-2019 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No, where did you see that? I think I bought this at the Map Centre in San Diego (no longer in business)?

Where did I see it? At Rick Russell's table at the Off Road Expo several years ago. I grew up with his nephews in the 80's. I know this because Rick's brother (my friends Dad) is in the video.

David K - 4-6-2019 at 07:41 AM

Very cool... Have you shared this on Nomad before? Is the classic video on YouTube now?

TMW - 4-6-2019 at 11:43 AM

I had that VHS tape. It featured a Baja 500 race, I don't remember which one. They were mostly in the pine forest and went down the El Mano grade.

David K - 4-7-2019 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I had that VHS tape. It featured a Baja 500 race, I don't remember which one. They were mostly in the pine forest and went down the El Mano grade.

Ken just posted that video (Baja 500, etc.) in this 2015 thread about the three summits: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78583