BajaNomad

shared travel in the baja

Baja Bicknells - 4-5-2019 at 02:26 PM

We are heading to Los Barriles for the 1st week of December and are looking for some travel buddies to caravan with us. We would like to be there by the 15th.
Mandy and I are first timers driving in Mexico and we are pulling a 28ft travel trailer.
We both are retired so our dates are very flexible.

Mark

David K - 4-5-2019 at 02:53 PM

Are you coming from The Canada?

Seriously, have a fun time. Mind you, pulling a big trailer on your first trip will be a bit rough... the highway south of San Quintin is very narrow, elevated, with no shoulders or pullouts, most of the way.

Pulling a trailer on Hwy. 1, best to figure an average speed of 45 mph. Do you know about the military checkpoints? South of Ensenada, north of El Rosario, north of Villa Jesus María, San Ignacio, and north of Loreto. Plus surprise ones that pop up and sometimes federal police or immigration have them too.

Never be in a hurry, this is the land of mañana (that doesn't mean 'tomorrow', but just not 'today'). Everything always does work out in the end. Most people get addicted to this peninsula and will keep returning or even move there!

See the missions... California's Spanish missions began in Baja California (which was called 'California' first)!

You may get more out of your visits to them if you have more info (shameless plug for my book, ;) ):

Loretana - 4-5-2019 at 05:14 PM

Hi Folks,
Nothing like being insulted about some perception of incorrect grammar in your first post....

I've been travelling to Mexico since 1972, and I still call the peninsula "the baja". Some folks around here think they need to correct spelling and nomenclature at every turn. I don't.

Welcome to Baja Nomad. And have a great time.

David K - 4-5-2019 at 05:28 PM

Not an insult, a learning moment, with humor from Old Baja legends Jimmy Smith and Dave Deal. Margarita time maybe for you?

Loretana - 4-5-2019 at 05:58 PM

No David, I don't drink.
In my years of teaching English and Spanish in the US, I found that positive reinforcement worked for my students rather than pointing out faults.
Let's let the "Baja Bicknells" get back to the original intent of their post, to make friends here and find some travel buddies, OK?

David K - 4-5-2019 at 07:42 PM

Yes!

chumlee57 - 4-5-2019 at 08:51 PM

David, I think we all remember the first time we trailered boats, RV's , etc., good advice to first timers, white knuckle driving, 100% focus and stay off the roads at night is excellent advice...bad things happen at night, just saying

BajaBlanca - 4-5-2019 at 10:28 PM

It is your first post! Welcome. You are going to have so much fun in Los Barriles. It is gorgeous, the people are friendly. Lots of great places to eat. You are going to need a quad/ATV to get around!

Don't forget to get your FMM or tourist visa in TJ or wherever you ENTER Mexico.

hombre66 - 4-6-2019 at 08:05 PM

Heard it called "the Baja" many times. Actually sounds sort of cool. DK trailer advice is sound.

freediverbrian - 4-6-2019 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Not an insult, a learning moment, with humor from Old Baja legends Jimmy Smith and Dave Deal. Margarita time maybe for you?

Raised on tough love? At least wait until they misspelled a word or called Ensanda de Francisquito Gonzaga Bay . Wecome all . pay no attention to The DK

[Edited on 4-7-2019 by freediverbrian]

David K - 4-7-2019 at 09:22 AM

Wow, you guys are a tough crowd. Did I not include helpful info after the obvious humor? You forget that I actually had personalized plates that said: THE BAJA (1981-1997).:biggrin:

Purdyd - 4-7-2019 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
You are going to need a quad/ATV

My experience is that while the quads and side by sides are very popular, feet work very well in Los Barriles. Especially if you are in town.

The vehicle that towed the trailer should be more than sufficient for transportation needs like picking up agua y cerveza.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who pulls a trailer or drives an rv down that thin sliver of asphalt.

It will be a great trip to the barrels. :)

wilderone - 4-9-2019 at 10:17 AM

It is difficult to navigate a huge trailer in Los Barriles. Do you have alternate transportation for sight-seeing in town?

Purdyd - 4-9-2019 at 07:56 PM

Some pretty big RVs and trailers go through LB. if you can get there, piece of cake.

David K above with the picture of the semi truck passing the boat on what looks like a wide spot to me :). Those near death experiences are just part of the wonder that is Baja.

For added enjoyment stick your head out the window.

LB has a car rental spot, bike rental, horse back riding, and more quad rental places than I can count to in spanish.

There are plenty of places to eat, a surprisingly good selection of produce. Find the little cooler in the store for the hot tortillas de maiz. Eat one or two immediately. Share the other fifty with friends ;). And we all know where the good avocados come from.

Make sure to check out the Saturday market.

BajaMama - 4-11-2019 at 10:39 AM

That is brave! The lanes are much narrower than we are used to in the states - I think only 8' wide? You may want to follow a semi up the windy hilly areas. The is nothing quite like a semi, previously unseen, coming the opposite direction over a hill partially in your lane. It is a fun adventure. Take your time, remember to obtain Mexican insurance and get your FMM (passport required) at the border when you enter.