BajaNomad

Easter in Baja- what to expect

ReTire - 4-17-2019 at 08:52 AM

Big Catholic holiday. Is it Spring break for Mexico as well?

I’ll thank you now for any answers.

JZ - 4-17-2019 at 09:03 AM

We are in Loreto. Crowds started filling up the beaches as early as Monday. A good bit of traffic on the malecon. We took a boat out of Puerto Escondido and saw ppl setting up beach camps along the way. A bunch of people out at Isla Danzante, but it wasn't crowded by any means. No one was at the bar at La Mision hotel last night, which surprised me.

Thursday to Saturday are the really crowded days, by Sunday everyone will be gone. In San Carlos, Sonora, the little town swells from 5K to 30K for 3 days. Huge party and a ton of fun.

[Edited on 4-17-2019 by JZ]

John Harper - 4-17-2019 at 09:10 AM

My roommate just got back from San Felipe. She said it was so crowded you dare not move your car, or face a long walk back to your hotel if you did. Bands playing until 5AM as well.

John

David K - 4-17-2019 at 09:11 AM

ReTire: Known in Mexico usually as "Semana Santa" it is the biggest beach camping or beach vacationing holiday in Mexico. The only peace and quiet you may get is if you have a 4WD vehicle and go someplace that is needed to get to.

JZ - 4-17-2019 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My roommate just got back from San Felipe. She said it was so crowded you dare not move your car, or face a long walk back to your hotel if you did. Bands playing until 5AM as well.

John

This is exactly why I hate SF. Being too close to the border attacks too much riff-raff.

del mar - 4-17-2019 at 09:38 AM

Rosarito beach is typically busy and everyone enjoying themselves!:coolup:

Alm - 4-17-2019 at 10:09 AM

Retire, of course there is a spring break in Mexico. Regardless of the actual break, any school of any kind will be closed for long weekend. Parents with kids up to the age of 18 flock to beaches, and anybody without kids does the same.
San Carlos and Bahia Kino is "Arizona beach", and besides, overpopulated mainland Mexico wants to have some beach time too. Go to the mountains like David said.

fishbuck - 4-17-2019 at 10:24 AM

If you have never been to a busy beach on Easter in Baja you are missing out on a cultural experience.
If done right it is an absolute blast!

bkbend - 4-17-2019 at 03:14 PM

I agree with fishbuck on this one... you should experience it least once. Walk around in the evening and take in all those cooking smells.

fishbuck - 4-17-2019 at 07:55 PM

Yes, the smells...

BajaMama - 4-18-2019 at 05:50 AM

Beaches will be crowded. One of my first memories in Punta Chivato was the fishermen and their families celebrating Easter week. The singing and partying went on til the wee hours. Loved when everyone would join in to cover the really poor voice in the crowd.

fishbuck - 4-18-2019 at 08:23 AM

And the sounds...

Lee - 4-18-2019 at 04:20 PM

Crowds at San Pedrito beach and garbage left on the beach.

Alm - 4-19-2019 at 01:54 PM

Good thing is that the event it short-lasting. Otherwise you would have what is called "failed leach field" of a septic system, when soil becomes so saturated with urine and other cr-ap that can't absorb and filter it anymore. If you have ever visited a site of semi-permanent Mexican fishing camp, you'll know.

charliemanson - 4-19-2019 at 02:06 PM

Trully a cultural event and gringos need to respect and not criticize as it is their culture and not ours to try and change as "we" do, to turn them into us. Thank you lord

charliemanson - 4-19-2019 at 02:10 PM

Good thing is that the event it short-lasting. Otherwise you would have what is called "failed leach field" of a septic system, when soil becomes so saturated with urine and other cr-ap that can't absorb and filter it anymore. If you have ever visited a site of semi-permanent Mexican fishing camp, you'll know.

Like the Canadian guy, Ontario, with his septic in his RV here for 8 months spewing his sh>>t on our beach and we can't remove him! Not even the government! P-nche puto

24baja - 4-19-2019 at 09:41 PM

La Gringa in BDLA 54 camp sities plus!

defrag4 - 4-19-2019 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

Like the Canadian guy, Ontario, with his septic in his RV here for 8 months spewing his sh>>t on our beach and we can't remove him! Not even the government! P-nche puto

say what now? dudes dumping his chit on the beach?

mtgoat666 - 4-20-2019 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

This is exactly why I hate SF. Being too close to the border attacks too much riff-raff.

And u are a “better” class of people?

fishbuck - 4-20-2019 at 08:24 AM

I really hope someone goes to the beach during Easter and posts a report.
Photos would be nice.
It is quite spectacle to behold.
But having done it a few times I think I have seen it.
I haven't been to Newport beach on July 4th in a few years either.
But I use to get in the thick of it every year...
There are usually some very attractive young adults at these events... and it is the beach...

[Edited on 4-20-2019 by fishbuck]

Hook - 4-20-2019 at 09:13 AM

Beaches fairly crowded here in San Carlos Sonora, but not as much as in past years. It's been a steady decline in numbers, IMO, for the last 6-7 years. There was one year about 7-8 years ago where some newspaper estimated that we had 100K people on the streets. But that was when they allowed beer stands and music bands to set up right along the street. Those were pushed out to the beaches as they created to much of a logjam for vehicles and pedestrians. Oh yeah, and the local businesses complained about losing so much business to the temporary stands.

We drove the blvd last night in/on ATVs, as is our tradition. Not the usual bumper-to-bumper partying in the lanes along the whole loop. Only certain sections were bumper-to-bumper. Tonight is our walking night. But the foot traffic seemed down last night, too.

The main business group of Guaymas/San Carlos held a news conference about 10 days before the start of Semana Santa, decrying the lack of advance bookings in hotels in the area this week. They could see the handwriting on the wall. Apparently what is usually 95+% bookings, was down around 60%, as of 10 days ago. The group is blaming a perceived lack of security in the area.

Ya think?

Two more policemen gunned down three nights ago. One was a/the Comandante of San Carlos. The other was a kid who was on the force only nine days.

That's seven killed in the last six months or so. Five were on the main blvd in Guaymas at around noon.

The UN Human Rights rep for Mexico is probably right. Mexico appears to be at war with itself now. Apparently, the UN has agreed to fund a portion of the training of this new National Guard that AMLO is forming.

At least AMLO has the courage to admit that Mexico can't fix this alone. If it even can be fixed.

JoeJustJoe - 4-20-2019 at 12:24 PM

Wow Hook, it seems you can't get through a post with just telling the members that "Semana Santa," did not live up to the hype of wall to wall Mexicans at the Baja beaches during this Easter week, but instead you have to get on your high horse and rant negatively about Mexico, being at war with itself, as you quote some unknown UN Human Rights Representative. Are you talking about Gomez Camacho, or somebody else?

At the least you could do Hook, is get accurate how the UN is going to help AMLO, and Mexico, with the new National Guard, that AMLO is forming.

Hook your post is deceptive, because you act like the UN in funding a portion of the training of the National Guard, and I guess indirectly you can say that, but you miss the main reason why the UN is helping.

The main reason why the UN will be in Mexico, is to do the actually training of the new National Guard, because many in Mexico, are outraged that AMLO is going back on his campaign promise of " abrazos no balazos (hugs not gunshots) and instead going back to militarization of the drug war, with a new uniform, but pretty much the same players, from the military and federal police.

The UN is there to train the national guard, to respect human rights, and to calm the critics that AMLO, still wants to fight the losing "war on drugs,"

UN to help human rights training of Mexico’s National Guard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/un-to-help...

Hook - 4-20-2019 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Wow Hook, it seems you can't get through a post with just telling the members that "Semana Santa," did not live up to the hype of wall to wall Mexicans at the Baja beaches during this Easter week, but instead you have to get on your high horse and rant negatively about Mexico, being at war with itself, as you quote some unknown UN Human Rights Representative. Are you talking about Gomez Camacho, or somebody else?

At the least you could do Hook, is get accurate how the UN is going to help AMLO, and Mexico, with the new National Guard, that AMLO is forming.

Hook your post is deceptive, because you act like the UN in funding a portion of the training of the National Guard, and I guess indirectly you can say that, but you miss the main reason why the UN is helping.

The main reason why the UN will be in Mexico, is to do the actually training of the new National Guard, because many in Mexico, are outraged that AMLO is going back on his campaign promise of " abrazos no balazos (hugs not gunshots) and instead going back to militarization of the drug war, with a new uniform, but pretty much the same players, from the military and federal police.

The UN is there to train the national guard, to respect human rights, and to calm the critics that AMLO, still wants to fight the losing "war on drugs,"

UN to help human rights training of Mexico’s National Guard

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/un-to-help...

:lol:

Priceless! Clueless!

But very consistent............

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-a-country-at-war/

[Edited on 4-20-2019 by Hook]

JoeJustJoe - 4-20-2019 at 03:06 PM

Hook, linking an article from the light weight " Mexico News Daily" doesn't help you out.

There is still the fact that you don't know the difference between the UN actually training the new Mexican national guard, and providing the funding for that training, that you mentioned in error.

Get the big picture, the UN is not funding the operation, they are just training the new National guard, because militarism to fight the war on drugs has been a dismal failure in Mexico, and the Mexican military has been known to abuse human rights.

This is wrong what Hook wrote, although he won't admit it:

Hook wrote: The UN Human Rights rep for Mexico is probably right. Mexico appears to be at war with itself now. Apparently, the UN has agreed to fund a portion of the training of this new National Guard that AMLO is forming.

I also take it that no Mexican UN Human Rights rep actually said, " Mexico appears to be at war with itself, or perhaps you were quoting from former Chilean President, Michelle Bachelet, who is now with the UN and advocating militarism the fight against the Mexican cartels, which will probably result in failure, and Bachelet, should go back to Chili and fix their problems, and stay out of the affairs of Mexico.

[Edited on 4-20-2019 by JoeJustJoe]