BajaNomad

Crossing border a/ plan non-opperational

tyguypb - 4-27-2019 at 02:47 PM

Returning to the US in a Car that is registered Plan Non Opperational? Gonna go out on a limb and assume that one is a major no no jaja

Anyone know what the CBP would say?

defrag4 - 4-27-2019 at 03:19 PM

border patrol wont care, but if you get pulled over in the states, thats gonna be a bit of an issue

i drove my non-op truck back to California after being in Latin america for 3 years, I had no issues at the border, I made it back home and got the truck re-registered ASAP. It was a risk driving it around in non-op

If you are caught you can be hammered with fines, if your really unlucky the car can be impounded until you get registration/insurance on it.

I would definitely put insurance on it though

Rule #1 of doing shady chit - Try and only break 1 rule at a time :P

defrag4 - 4-27-2019 at 03:20 PM

If a registered non-operational vehicle is driven or parked where it is subject to getting a ticket, then the full registration fees and penalties for that year of registration become due.

To follow up on the PNO (Planned Non-Operation) question. The DMV will require full fees be paid. But that's the easy part. The police will issue a citation for operating a vehicle without current registration (4000(a) VC). Additionally, if the vehicle registration has been expired over 6 months, than under 22651(o) of the Vehicle Code, the vehicle will be impounded (and held hostage) until proof of current registration and a currently valid driver’s license to operate the vehicle is presented. During this time the tow yard will charge a daily storage fee.

defrag4 - 4-27-2019 at 03:22 PM

Its been a while and I cant recall why I didnt take it out of non-op before we came back? Maybe I had to go there in person to handle it?

Give DMV a call and see if you can pay registration and take it out of non-op over the phone?

carlosg - 4-27-2019 at 03:47 PM

DMV Registration Renewal California | Renew Online & Avoid The Fine
https://www.needtags.com/online_registration.php

John Harper - 4-27-2019 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
Rule #1 of doing shady chit - Try and only break 1 rule at a time :P

+1

John

honda tom - 4-28-2019 at 11:31 AM

I was told by an agent at the border that..... the CBP enforces laws for over 40 Govt. agencies, one of those being the DMV.