BajaNomad

San Antonio Road/Codornices Road CURRENT conditions?

bajaandy - 4-30-2019 at 07:30 AM

Anyone have current intel on the San Antonio/Codornices Road from Mex 1 to Bahia Blanca? Anyone drive it this year (2019) yet?

DK, I have read your report on your 2017 trip regarding the rutted downhill section going down into the wash that leads to La Miseria, but I'd really like to know if it's any worse after last season's rain. I'm always up for an adventure, but not if the road is impassable.

[Edited on 4-30-2019 by bajaandy]

[Edited on 4-30-2019 by bajaandy]

David K - 4-30-2019 at 08:27 AM

I understand Andy!
I suppose the Laguna Chapala road may be a problem if the dry lake El Islote isn't dry? The Faro San José road from near Cataviña is further away but may be the best option?

PaulW - 4-30-2019 at 10:31 AM

Last year no issues. Agree an update is needed for the go around for the ranch.

bajaandy - 4-30-2019 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Thanks Paul. When did you drive it last year? I'd like to believe it's probably not all that much different this year, but it would be nice to know before I go.

MMc - 4-30-2019 at 11:18 AM

I came out it in in March 2019 just after the rains, 4X4 is a must. The desert was just beginning to bloom very pretty.

bajaandy - 4-30-2019 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I came out it in in March 2019 just after the rains, 4X4 is a must. The desert was just beginning to bloom very pretty.

Thanks for the up to date report MMc! I assume you're meaning 4x4 for coming up the grade to the plateau?

MMc - 4-30-2019 at 11:30 AM

Yes, It was a bit washed out. I only walked one section. I was solo and playing it safe.

bajaandy - 4-30-2019 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I understand Andy!
I suppose the Laguna Chapala road may be a problem if the dry lake El Islote isn't dry? The Faro San José road from near Cataviña is further away but may be the best option?

Thanks David. Yeah, the Faro San Jose road is more than twice the off road distance of the Anotonio/Codornices road. But the drive time might work out close to the same if the latter is significantly slower due to condition. Based on MMc's and Paul's replies, I feel confident that it's not going to be that bad.

David K - 4-30-2019 at 02:53 PM

Have a fun trip and catch a good wave for Curt!

PaulW - 4-30-2019 at 03:45 PM

Jan 2018

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Thanks Paul. When did you drive it last year? I'd like to believe it's probably not all that much different this year, but it would be nice to know before I go.

TMW - 5-1-2019 at 08:29 AM

Just for the heck of it take the time to drive in to the dry lake from H1 KM234 by the restaurant to see if it is dry or wet. As I recall it's about 3-4 miles and the road is an OK dirt road. If it's dry keep going. When you go down the hill close to the ocean there are silt beds and you will be north of Bahia Blanco.

At the dry lake bed look for a dark hill on the far side. You want to cross the lake bed just to the right of the hill. The road from there is easy to follow.

scrowl down to the pictures and you will see what I'm talking about.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39975

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by TMW]

bajaandy - 5-1-2019 at 09:39 AM

Thanks TW. As I recall (it's been a while since I've been there) the road across the dry lake eventually becomes fairly rough compared to the San Antonio Road and as you mentioned, there are more silt beds. Do you recall that being a a fair description? Regardless, that's a good idea for a great loop. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Trip

PaulW - 5-1-2019 at 11:20 AM

Here is an image of my route

Untitled.jpg - 114kB

David K - 5-1-2019 at 12:14 PM

Andy, StuckSucks posted a video of the Chapala road from the coast, across the dry lake, to Hwy. 1. If you need help finding it, let me know. He drives a Tacoma and chases for Cops TV racing team.