BajaNomad

Restaurants in La Paz

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 09:18 AM

Hi all, newbie to bajanomad here.

Does anyone have any feedback about Tailhunter, La Morante or Doce Quarento?

I normally eat street food only in Mexico as I’m often alone and/or wiped pit from the day but this trip I want to eat at some restaurants,

Any feedback or restaurant suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you and cheers!

Alan - 5-1-2019 at 09:36 AM

So many to choose from;
Tres Virgennes
Sorstis
Nim
Azul Marina
Odayaka
Oliva
Il Rustico
Mesquite Grill
Magueyas
just to name a few

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 10:22 AM

Thank you Alan!

My quest this trip is to run into another gringo, for once when I am there, to get advice and knowledge on living in La Paz.

Is this Alan from the Espiritu boat trip?

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Alan - 5-1-2019 at 11:09 AM

I don't think so unless it was on my boat.

When are you going to La Paz? I'm headed down for a few days 5/13-18

Feel free to U2U me with any questions

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by Alan]

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I don't think so unless it was on my boat.

When are you going to La Paz? I'm headed down for a few days 5/13-18

Feel free to U2U me with any questions

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by Alan]

Last time I was down I did the Espiritu boat snorkeling day trip and an Alan was our guide. American/Mexican man prob around 30ish, give or take many years,
I’m not going until the end of May, very end..May 29.

I normally am fine with doing my trip alone l but I was thinking it would be nice to talk to people that moved there by choice this time.

[Edited on 5-2-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 11:57 AM

I don’t know what U2U is? Is it a messaging app or is it another way to say dm?

David K - 5-1-2019 at 12:02 PM

Tres Virgenes is a high end place, excellent food, owned by a Baja Nomad (JESSE) who was a chef in Tijuana previously. Mexican government people such as the governor probably the top clients? Best ribeye in the world! Splurge once here for a treat.

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Tres Virgenes is a high end place, excellent food, owned by a Baja Nomad (JESSE) who was a chef in Tijuana previously. Mexican government people such as the governor probably the top clients? Best ribeye in the world! Splurge once here for a treat.

Ohhh nice! I forgot every word you said before and after rib eye, lol Haven't had a good rib eye in forever,
Was this chef written up in an essay in the New Yorker? I recall reading a story about TJ cuisine a bit ago and being a bit baffled as my TJ memories are driving to TJ or Rosarita(o) in high school and buying everclear and 151, barf

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

David K - 5-1-2019 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  

Welcome to Nomad!
U2U is the private message system on Nomad. Click the button for it next to a post. When you get one, a blue text alert will appear in the top right corner of the page, by your name. Cool handle!

Mother of Dragons - 5-1-2019 at 12:10 PM

Welcome to Nomad!
U2U is the private message system on Nomad. Click the button for it next to a post. When you get one, a blue text alert will appear in the top right corner of the page, by your name. Cool handle!

Thank you! And thank you again. My avatar to my screen name was accepted but for whatever reason won’t show.
😔

charliemanson - 5-1-2019 at 12:14 PM

Tailhunter has a cool view but marginal bar food at best. I would stay with the First list and add Mi Casita and Maria California and my wife‘s fav for a time is Estancia Uruguaya.

David K - 5-1-2019 at 12:18 PM

Welcome to Nomad!

Thank you! And thank you again. My avatar to my screen name was accepted but for whatever reason won’t show.
😔

You need to have a min. number of posts first, then it will show. There is FAQ link with some Nomad details.

JZ - 5-1-2019 at 12:27 PM

TailHunter is so, so. Typical restaurant/bar on the malecon. They do have IPAs. TVs are old.

The best sushi in Baja is out near Costa Baja - Odayaka. Steinbecks restaurant at Costa Baja is pretty good as well.

Il Rustico is very good Italian. Haven't been to Tres Virgenes, but will definitely give it a try next time down.

[Edited on 5-1-2019 by JZ]

bajalinda - 5-1-2019 at 01:24 PM

We also like Maria California. I think it was mentioned in the other thread about restaurants, too. Just a block up from the malecon on the corner of B. Dominguez and Jaurez. They only do breakfast and lunch and close at 2PM, so don't count on it for dinner.

Dulce Romero - on Allende 3 blocks up from the Malecon has a great bakery and small restaurant.

bajalinda - 5-1-2019 at 01:29 PM

You asked about Doce Cuarenta - it's a coffee shop with basic menu of things like muffins, quiche, etc.

There is also the Bagel Shop if you have a craving for a bagel - they do a good breakfast too.

JZ - 5-1-2019 at 01:45 PM

Thread is really good. We go to La Paz a lot and I haven't been to many of these places. Will hit the Bagel Shop for sure.

What's the most reliable place to get IPAs? The large grocery is hit or miss. They have them in the little store near the Costa Baja marina, but are jacking the prices way up. Anywhere else?

Mother of Dragons - 5-2-2019 at 09:26 AM

Thank you charliemanson, I will add to my list. I’ve never had Uruguayan food.

Thank you JZ, I love sushi and will add the other restaurants as well.

Thank you bajalinda. I have been to the bagel shop before and it is good.
I love Dulce Romero, I always get a bag of pan dulce there to eat in the airplane. I will add your other suggestions as well.

Alan - 5-2-2019 at 10:02 AM

Sortis on Revolution just past the cathedral currently has the best Sunday brunch in town complete with eggs or omelettes to order as well as a carving station.

Lee - 5-2-2019 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalinda  

Dulce Romero - on Allende 3 blocks up from the Malecon has a great bakery and small restaurant.

Stopped here recently for breakfast. Food was good, latte greeat. Felt upscale from what I'm use to in Pesky. Lots of young, professional looking MXs. Place is popular.

https://dulceromero.mx

Fernweh - 5-2-2019 at 12:30 PM

Great baguettes after 11:00 each morning, great multigrain bread Fridays after 12:00 at Dulce Romero

Mother of Dragons - 5-2-2019 at 04:32 PM

Baguettes...yum...thank you Fernweh

thank you Alan for Sortis, carving station sounds good.

Besides La Fuente I love the taco stand at Prieto and Indepencia.
The fish tacos and grilled jalapeños are to die for.

I also got lucky one day and ran into a guy pushing a taco stand with 3-4 meats, not fish though, that was good.

Alan - 5-2-2019 at 05:43 PM

Head straight up Marquez de Leon from Estella del Mar and you can hit Rancho Viejo one block up on the right for great arracherra tacos but you can also continue straight up that street for several blocks to Taco Fish La Paz for the best fish and shrimp tacos in the city

Mother of Dragons - 5-2-2019 at 05:56 PM

Oh my, that’s fantastic Alan, thank you.
I really enjoy eating at the stands more then restaurants. And I love tacos. I have a feeling I will be eating paletas, raspados and tacos only. As usual. But I do want to go to some of these restaurants.

[Edited on 5-3-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

David K - 5-3-2019 at 12:23 PM

Welcome to Nomad!

😔

You need to have a min. number of posts first, then it will show. There is FAQ link with some Nomad details.

Once you have 25 posts, then you no longer are a newbie and your avatar will appear.

4x4abc - 5-3-2019 at 12:46 PM

how can we turn off the stupid categories like Newbie, Super Nomad etc.
Can't I be just me?

Mother of Dragons - 5-3-2019 at 01:26 PM

You can be you Harold.

Lee - 5-3-2019 at 03:12 PM

Head straight up Marquez de Leon from Estella del Mar and you can hit Rancho Viejo one block up on the right for great arracherra tacos but you can also continue straight up that street for several blocks to Taco Fish La Paz for the best fish and shrimp tacos in the city

Always get a medio kilo de arracherra para llevar before leaving town.

IMO, best coffee cafe in town is Doce Cuarenta -- S. on Madero just past 5 de Mayo. Latte $2.00, Baja Beans in Pesky $3.50.

https://docecuarenta.com

Wrecking yard cuisine

AKgringo - 5-3-2019 at 04:18 PM

Dragon mommy, are you mobile, or strolling around downtown La Paz? If you are up for short drives, there is a wrecking yard just west of La Paz that has a restaurant on the side that is a surpising find for breakfast and lunch!

More info on request (also one post closer to Avatar status)

del mar - 5-3-2019 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
how can we turn off the stupid categories like Newbie, Super Nomad etc.
Can't I be just me?

there's some way to do it in the control panel, woody figured it out!

Mother of Dragons - 5-3-2019 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Dragon mommy, are you mobile, or strolling around downtown La Paz? If you are up for short drives, there is a wrecking yard just west of La Paz that has a restaurant on the side that is a surpising find for breakfast and lunch!

More info on request (also one post closer to Avatar status)

I’ll have a car. Flying to Cabo then driving up.

Thank you. Would the wrecking yard be on a map?

Mother of Dragons - 5-3-2019 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

IMO, best coffee cafe in town is Doce Cuarenta -- S. on Madero just past 5 de Mayo. Latte $2.00, Baja Beans in Pesky $3.50.

Thank you Lee. Sounds like arrachera is a must have in La Paz and thanks for the coffee spot rec.

AKgringo - 5-3-2019 at 05:38 PM

[/rquote]

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it is a mile or two past the airport turn off headed toward Centennario. It is not a 'destination' kind of place, but if you are in the neighborhood, it is very good, economical food, served by very friendly people.

I drove by it many times, wondering why there were always police cars at the wrecking yard. Then a fellow resident at the camp where I was staying (Maranatha) suggested we go there. I then realized that the police were there for the food, not the wrecks!

She was helping the staff with their English, and they asked me to correct them on future visits if they made a mistake. I agreed, as long as they would correct my lousy Spanish!

Good food is one reason to go somewhere, but not the only one!

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by AKgringo]

Mother of Dragons - 5-3-2019 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
[/rquote]

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it is a mile or two past the airport turn off headed toward Centennario. It is not a 'destination' kind of place, but if you are in the neighborhood, it is very good, economical food, served by very friendly people.

I drove by it many times, wondering why there were always police cars at the wrecking yard. Then a fellow resident at the camp where I was staying (Maranatha) suggested we go there. I then realized that the police were there for the food, not the wrecks!

She was helping the staff with their English, and they asked me to correct them on future visits if they made a mistake. I agreed, as long as they would correct my lousy Spanish!

Good food is one reason to go somewhere, but not the only one!

Thank you AKGringo. I can find it on a map with that description. Good food is worth a drive to me. And by good food I mean where the locals eat so very appreciated tip

Is this it?

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by AKgringo]

E721C7AD-0BAA-4888-B5A5-958213FBFA2D.jpeg - 161kB

84E20F15-1A38-4365-B51C-490A7F4DA147.jpeg - 63kB

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by Mother of Dragons]

4x4abc - 5-3-2019 at 09:19 PM

the restuarant in Chametla is called "Jalisco" https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1023714,-110.3744528,3a,75y,...

Mother of Dragons - 5-3-2019 at 09:41 PM

the restuarant in Chametla is called "Jalisco" https://www.google.com/maps/@24.1023714,-110.3744528,3a,75y,...

Thank you. I’m guessing I didn’t have it right in the above pics?

David K - 5-3-2019 at 10:40 PM

Dear Khaleesi, you will soon graduate from newbie status and we will see your avatar.

[Edited on 5-4-2019 by David K]

Mother of Dragons - 5-4-2019 at 07:10 AM

Dear Khaleesi, you will soon graduate from newbie status and we will see your avatar.

Ha ha :spingrin: I’m getting closer to the 25.
Khalessi is my favorite character although Arya is now sharing that spot with her :cool:

David K - 5-4-2019 at 07:34 AM

Khalessi is my favorite character although Arya is now sharing that spot with her :cool:

Yes, you are!

Unless you did, and I missed it, how about making a new post telling us about you? Several new Nomads start out with an introduction of themselves and sometimes include:
What they like to do (or want to do) in Baja?
What they drive (a big deal if a 4WD)?
What are their favorite places? (If you are a surfer, then you have pressure put upon you to maintain secrecy over the good spots, often under the code name "Seven Sisters" lol!)

Alan - 5-4-2019 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Try La Choya straight up Colima. They roast the beans right there and I buy my coffee for the house there. Haven't found a decent brand in the stores.

bajalinda - 5-4-2019 at 10:04 AM

x2 for La Choya coffee! We buy our coffee beans for the house there, too. La Choya also has a location on Allende across the street from the Baja Ferries building. The Allende store closes at 1PM, and I think the other location on Colima also closes for a couple hours in the early afternoon, but opens up again in the afternoon around 4PM or so.

Mother of Dragons - 5-4-2019 at 03:10 PM

Yes, you are!

Unless you did, and I missed it, how about making a new post telling us about you? Several new Nomads start out with an introduction of themselves and sometimes include:
What they like to do (or want to do) in Baja?
What they drive (a big deal if a 4WD)?
What are their favorite places? (If you are a surfer, then you have pressure put upon you to maintain secrecy over the good spots, often under the code name "Seven Sisters" lol!)

Good idea. I’ll look for an introduction thread and post or make one myself over the weekend.

boe4fun - 5-22-2019 at 09:50 AM

Posted a while back:
AWSOME restaurant in La Paz

My wife and ran into an offbeat new place to eat. Maybe some of you have been there already. Place is named Mi Casita on Revolution and Pienda. They had everything. Sushi, carne, pollo and everything for everybody. Great service. Inexpensive for our tastes and a super atmosphere.

Special was lobster and a steak ,of your choice, for 600 for two of us. We received a free appetizer which was enough for our palate, and really didn't need the dinner but it was awesome.

We frequent many places in La Paz and this is our new go to place.

We did tell them to be aware of a guy named Harold who hates all and everything about La Paz and writes reviews here about all negative about La Paz and Mexico. They said they would make sure and spit on his food. Just don't say you are Harold.

Defiantly a step above Uraguay, tres virgins and Nim, but not a great taco like Juanitas on colisio y Abasolo ( small plug for Juanitas

Sent from my iPad

boe4fun - 5-23-2019 at 12:42 PM

The Rotarians have us stay at the Villa Marina. Stop by for a snack of nachos, or a lunch or dinner at the Dingy Dock. It overlooks the Marina, very nice ambiance.

4x4abc - 1-5-2020 at 11:40 PM

La Casita
finally had a chance to check the new high end place of La Paz
steak $600 pesos - pasta $300 pesos
made me feel like celebrity
and no, I won't say anything bad about that place
Forbes recently said that La Paz is the new place for billionaires
well, we were the only billionaires eating at La Casita that night

Alan - 1-6-2020 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Forbes recently said that La Paz is the new place for billionaires

Did they really? :O
Well since I have seen Steve Jobs' boat and Steven Spielberg's boats at Costa Baja fairly frequently I'd say there is at least a little truth to that article.

4x4abc - 1-6-2020 at 12:38 PM

https://www.thebajapost.com/2019/10/26/la-paz-is-mexicos-und...

4x4abc - 1-6-2020 at 12:39 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2017/02/18/from-la-pa...

weebray - 1-7-2020 at 09:23 AM

Yes, the Cabofication of la Paz has begun. To wit the new abortion at the foot of Marcos de Leon. They are facing it with pho rock at the moment as if it was possible to fix ugly. More to come, the sellout has begun. BTW, for tacos the locals go to Perones, corner of Rameriz and Cuahtemoc.

geraldalexander7 - 1-8-2020 at 11:01 PM

I’ve been looking for Perones! Great....

mtgoat666 - 1-9-2020 at 10:33 AM

Mc-fisher, great smoked marlin empenada, whole menu is yummy
El estadio, for fish tacos

Avoid the places on the malecon,... food always seems mediocre in tourist joints...

4x4abc - 1-9-2020 at 11:13 AM

Harker on the Malecon is good
mainly burgers and beer
friendly staff
great location
decent prices

I go there on occasion for my lunch meditation

Baja Grill

twogringos - 1-12-2020 at 11:43 AM

I know, not the kind of name that attracts you to a restaurant in Mexico, but we were pleasantly surprised. The breakfast started with a fruit plate and first cup of coffee gratis. Eggs al gusto to omelet was 80-100. We'll go back for dinner, but the menu had fish from 80 to T-bone and Lobster at 350. It's indoors, which is nice for these cold days in La Paz, open 8am to 11pm everyday. Located next to Cava del Patron wine shop on Marcus de Leon between Serdan and Prieto.

Warf - 1-12-2020 at 05:03 PM

It's a bit touristy but Claro's Jr on the corner of Mutualismo and Bravo has great bacon wrapped shrimp tacos. The call them paceños. Also if you like tacos al pastor try Taqueria El Paisa on the corner of Abasolo and Navarro. Truly good food a prices for locals. Provecho!