BajaNomad

What's the point of the new San Ysidro USA inspection on the way OUT of the country?

SFandH - 5-8-2019 at 11:12 AM

No doubt they'll be looking for:

fugitives
stolen cars
piles of cash
illegal weapons

and ????

I sure wish they would man all the northbound inspection booths first.

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by SFandH]

Bajazly - 5-8-2019 at 11:19 AM

To hassle us more and intimidation!

Will this be a 100% check or just random? Be SOOOOO nice sitting for hours going and coming.

willardguy - 5-8-2019 at 11:35 AM

supposedly to slow weapons and cash that fuel the drug war...hey Otay is only 5 miles down the road;)

Bajazly - 5-8-2019 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
supposedly to slow weapons and cash that fuel the drug war...hey Otay is only 5 miles down the road;)

What makes you think all the crossing won't have this in a very short period of time? I'm sure this one is only a test to see how much fear and intimidation they can inflict and if it goes over well, they have plenty of money to fast track the rest of them.

David K - 5-8-2019 at 01:51 PM

They are catching southbound criminals trying to escape justice. Big one was on the news last night.

TMW - 5-8-2019 at 06:12 PM

Several years ago maybe mid to late 90s I was crossing south at Tecate and the US was checking vehicles. He asked me what I had and I was kind of puzzled so I told him I didn't really understand what he wanted. He got kind of angry and he said "WHAT ARE YOU TAKING TO MEXICO". So I started naming all the stuff in the bed of my truck, motorcycle, cooler, tool box etc at which point he said "DO YOU HAVE $10,000". I said if I had $10,000 I'd be going to Europe not Mexico. He told me to get out of here.

[Edited on 5-9-2019 by TMW]

mtgoat666 - 5-8-2019 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
Is it to just create more waiting or ? Is there a reason of some sort? I thought they didn't have enough people to cover people coming into the USA? No?

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by ZipLine]

It another part of the president cheetoh head’s m0ronic wall!
Trump wants to do cavity searches on you coming and going!
Trump is a wanna-be dictator, you gopers seem fine with that, when did you all become dumb, complacent, apathetic, freedom-hating cows?

Bajazly - 5-8-2019 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Several years ago maybe mid to late 90s I was crossing south at Tecate and the US was checking vehicles. He asked me what I had and I was kind of puzzled so I told him I didn't really understand what he wanted. He got kind of angry and he said "WHAT ARE YOU TAKING TO MEXICO". So I started naming all the stuff in the bed of my truck, motorcycle, cooler, tool box etc at which point he said "DO YOU HAVE $10,000". I said if I had $10,000 I'd be going to Europe not Mexico. He told me to get out of here.

I wonder how close to 10k you would need to have before it became a problem? I know the law is 10k but with the civil forfeiture laws being what they are, I wonder if 9.5k or 8k or 4k would get you the third degree and the relieving you of the extra load you are carrying.

TecateRay - 5-8-2019 at 07:58 PM

I had the same thing happen to me going into Tecate. I told him I’m a retired Federal employee just like you. Where would I get $10K? He laughed and sent me on my way.

Lee - 5-8-2019 at 08:00 PM

US looking for money and then drugs/arms.

Think anyone traveling with more than couple thousand cash would get serious scrutiny. A verifiable explanation would avoid forfeiture.

TecateRay - 5-8-2019 at 08:03 PM

I had the same thing happen to me going into Tecate. I told him I’m a retired Federal employee just like you. Where would I get $10K? He laughed and sent me on my way.

wilderone - 5-9-2019 at 07:37 AM

"anyone traveling with more than couple thousand cash would get serious scrutiny"
How would they know? "Do you have $10,000 cash?" "No." Ok then. Pretty lame.

David K - 5-9-2019 at 08:10 AM

Don't big bills have magnetic strips in them now?

JZ - 5-9-2019 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

I wonder how close to 10k you would need to have before it became a problem? I know the law is 10k but with the civil forfeiture laws being what they are, I wonder if 9.5k or 8k or 4k would get you the third degree and the relieving you of the extra load you are carrying.

When we bought our house in Sonora, we decided to go to Guadalajara and buy everything to furnish it in one trip. Took about $25K in cash down. Split it between 3 of us, wife, brother-in-law, and me. Was a fun 3 days.

[Edited on 5-9-2019 by JZ]

TMW - 5-9-2019 at 09:40 AM

A friend was following me thru the checkpoint at Gonzaga Bay so I stop at the market to get ice. It was a while before he got there and when I asked what took so long he said he had forgotten to take his business proceeds to the bank before he left for Baja. He had put it under his seat and the they found it at the checkpoint. He had over $5,000 in cash. After explaining what happened they let him go.

David K - 5-9-2019 at 09:43 AM

Good thing there wasn't a magazine full of rounds there! Heck, even a single bullet may have been the end. ALWAYS clean out the car interior before a Mexico trip... especially if you are a hunter or carry!

Lee - 5-9-2019 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"anyone traveling with more than couple thousand cash would get serious scrutiny"
How would they know? "Do you have $10,000 cash?" "No." Ok then. Pretty lame.

This scenario is pretty lame too.

It's a given, some money gets through. Claiming not to have a large amount of cash (much less $9,950), and getting caught lying about it, will be a big problem.

Ever wonder why some people are sent to secondary, and some not?

ZipLine - 5-9-2019 at 05:09 PM

I'm hoping people will report in on if it is causing big backups and delays for the first few days. Then can dash for Otay if need be.

Alan - 5-9-2019 at 07:04 PM

We have always demanded Mexico's help to curb drugs coming into the US. Nice to see we are finally doing something to help them keep weapons from going into Mexico.

Alan - 5-9-2019 at 07:07 PM

You can take all the money you want to Mx. Just have to declare it if over $10K

BajaMama - 5-10-2019 at 07:41 AM

So, we will be inspected by the USA before being inspected my Mexico? Is this only at San Ysidro?

SFandH - 5-10-2019 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
So, we will be inspected by the USA before being inspected my Mexico? Is this only at San Ysidro?

Sounds like it. Now all the gun and money smugglers, car thieves, and fugitives will have to drive to some crossing where the inspections haven't been implemented yet.

This is going to really suck, especially for the daily commuters.