BajaNomad

Mulegé area rock art guide and San Ignacio, too. Recommendation please.

David K - 5-8-2019 at 04:29 PM

Hi Nomads,
Can anybody give me contact info for a guide to get us in to either the Trinidad or San Borjitas cave art sites.
Also, in San Ignacio to see art near San Francisco de la Sierra.
Thank you.
Helping a friend.

Bob and Susan - 5-8-2019 at 04:55 PM

mulege

Cave Paintings.jpg - 108kB

David K - 5-8-2019 at 05:03 PM

Thanks Bob!

mtgoat666 - 5-8-2019 at 05:07 PM

Kuyima in San Ignacio.
and
trudi angell/saddling south

the rock art trips are usually small groups, so you can request almost any custom itinerary you want

JZ - 5-8-2019 at 05:08 PM

Rock art is boring. ZZZzzzzz....

David K - 5-8-2019 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Kuyima in San Ignacio.
and
trudi angell/saddling south

the rock art trips are usually small groups, so you can request almost any custom itinerary you want

Thank you goat!
I have talked with Trudi on the phone and emailed with her in the past. I sent her an email today.

In case she can't help, please post more ideas for guides at both areas. I am possibly leaving Sunday for another TV location shoot that just came up and they want to see some big sites, not just a little Viking ship, lol!

David K - 5-9-2019 at 09:49 AM

Trudi emailed me last night and I got more than one referral for Salvador in Mulegé.

I think we are good... Thank you! If you see some pre-runner type trucks south of the border (Raptors mostly) next week, I may be in one. Photos forthcoming.

wilderone - 5-9-2019 at 09:52 AM

For San Francisco de Sierra great murals (that's what you're talking about?), you need to register and get a permit at INAH office in San Ignacio. They will assign you a guide.

David K - 5-9-2019 at 10:52 AM

Yes, Cindi that was one area and Trudi said she has that covered for us (if not, then I know to go into the office next to the missions). Thank you!

Mulegé area was the other... San Borjitas and Trinidad sites. Salvador seems to be the popular choice there.

It's not for me personally and I am not sure if I will even be going... I am just trying to help Cameron by making the Baja connections for him.

BajaMama - 5-10-2019 at 07:48 AM

I toured with Salvador a few years back. Nice guy, brings lunch, we even got to see a hawk catch a snake on the way back.

Contacts:
Salvador Castro Drew
mulegetours@hotmail.com
Phone: 01 615 153 0232
Cel. 615 161 4985

Hotel Las Casitas
Calle Francisco I. Madero 50, Centro, 23900 Heroica Muleje, B.C.S.
Phone: 01 615 153 0019

Other activities:
Besides the cave paintings, Mulegé has a church that dates back to 1668 (Misión Santa Rosalía de Mulegé) and a very interesting tour through an ex-prison that would let inmates out during the day, for them to work and take care of their families.

David K - 5-10-2019 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I toured with Salvador a few years back. Nice guy, brings lunch, we even got to see a hawk catch a snake on the way back.

Contacts:
Salvador Castro Drew
mulegetours@hotmail.com
Cel. 615 161 4985

Hotel Las Casitas

Other activities:
Besides the cave paintings, Mulegé has a church that dates back to 1668 (Misión Santa Rosalía de Mulegé) and a very interesting tour through an ex-prison that would let inmates out during the day, for them to work and take care of their families.

Thank you Baja Mama for the Salvador confirming.
Just to help you with the hstory, the mission at Mulegé was founded in 1705, as the third California mission. There was no Jesuit activity in California until 1683 (at La Paz and San Bruno, near Loreto) and that project failed in 2 years. The first successful mission was at Loreto in 1697. I think you will enjoy reading about the missions, in my book: www.oldmissions.com or sold on Amazon. I also have the mission details posted on my Baja Missions web pages, they begin here: www.vivabaja.com/bajamissions

HeyMulegeScott - 5-10-2019 at 02:33 PM

David - They can go directly to Rancho Las Tinajas and have the wife or husband guide them (Spanish only). I spoke to Salvador and he seems like a good guy but I preferred to just go direct.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92115

David K - 5-10-2019 at 03:19 PM

Thank you Tango!

HeyMulegeScott - 5-11-2019 at 11:34 AM

NP. FYI of the two Mulege sites, San Borjitas has the most elaborate cave paintings. Both have beautiful canyon hikes but San Borjitas is a stunner.

I didn't post a report but we have some Trinidad photos on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/AwayWeWinnebago/photos/?tab=albu...

David K - 5-11-2019 at 02:22 PM

Thanks again... I will let you know how we do, in a week.

BajaMama - 5-14-2019 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

Contacts:
Salvador Castro Drew
mulegetours@hotmail.com
Cel. 615 161 4985

Hotel Las Casitas

Other activities:

Thank you Baja Mama for the Salvador confirming.
Just to help you with the hstory, the mission at Mulegé was founded in 1705, as the third California mission. There was no Jesuit activity in California until 1683 (at La Paz and San Bruno, near Loreto) and that project failed in 2 years. The first successful mission was at Loreto in 1697. I think you will enjoy reading about the missions, in my book: www.oldmissions.com or sold on Amazon. I also have the mission details posted on my Baja Missions web pages, they begin here: www.vivabaja.com/bajamissions

Ha ha - just saw the part at the bottom of my post regarding the mission - it was a copy and paste - you are the man regarding mission knowledge! And yes, I do own your book (fabulous resource).

SFandH - 5-14-2019 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Rock art is boring. ZZZzzzzz....

I prefer to take a nap. Let me save rock art trippers some time.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&sour...

AKgringo - 5-14-2019 at 07:28 AM

Graffiti should not be celebrated! (just kidding, don't hate me!)

Marc - 5-14-2019 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Bob!

Yes...He's the man.

Bajaboy - 5-14-2019 at 09:19 AM

David, if you still need a guide for Sierra de San Francisco, let me know. We've done two trips with Chico into the canyon and highly recommend him. I can give you his contact info if you need it. I think we're going again this spring.

zac

tiotomasbcs - 5-15-2019 at 09:48 AM

How much walking is involved in reaching San Borjitas site? Esp vertical climbs? I'm recovering from Gout and up & down is difficult. La Trinidad? Thanks ahead of time. Tio

HeyMulegeScott - 5-15-2019 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
How much walking is involved in reaching San Borjitas site? Esp vertical climbs? I'm recovering from Gout and up & down is difficult. La Trinidad? Thanks ahead of time. Tio

Tio - I would say San Borjitas is less than a mile and maybe 100-200 ft vertical gain. It's a bit rocky as it follows the streambed in the canyon and then climbs up the side. Discover Baja said about 20-minute hike. I stopped a lot to take pictures so I can't recall how long it took. Maybe with some hiking poles or a stick it would be doable for you?

Trinidad is also rocky. Maybe longer distance but less climbing.

[Edited on 5-15-2019 by Three2tango]

David K - 5-16-2019 at 11:50 PM

Just a note... We couldn't prearrange a guide because we had so much to see and do so we took a chance and drove to the ranch at the end of the San Borjitas signed road. It was great as we got a guide, Ernesto, at the ranch.
It was 150 pesos per person, 45 pesos per camera, and 300 pesos for the guide. You drive about 2 miles to the trailhead and then hike 1/2 mile with steep parts to the cave.

We passed on La Trinidad.

We hired 4 guides at San Francisco de la Sierra for El Raton Cave which is a short walk from the parking spot. Similar charges.

The guides for San Pablo Canyon were from someone Curt LeDuc knows in town.

[Edited on 5-18-2019 by David K]