BajaNomad

Getting a Mexican Driver's License in Ensenada

sancho - 5-22-2019 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  

Go looking old.

That's funny, although some of us have no other option.
Blood type is a sensible requirement

AKgringo - 5-22-2019 at 08:26 PM

How about vision, do they check that? Is there a brail version of the written test?

BajaBlanca - 5-23-2019 at 02:20 AM

Well, that sure was easy!

weebray - 5-24-2019 at 06:56 AM

Here's how it really works. One, go with a friend fluent in Espanol, or, make a deal with one of the many "gestors". (read guy that you pay to do it for you) The place will be full of them wanting 300 pesos up. There will also be offices nearby that you can pay and pick up your lic. the next day. People working in transito won't be very helpful and will hint strongly that you need a gestor. You may conclude what you wish from this.

sancho - 5-25-2019 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Is a MX DL good NOB?

Good ?, here in So. Orange Co., I often see Baja
plated trucks, high sided with metal gates, who scour
garage sales taking various washing machines, beds,
I assume they go SOB to segunda tiendas, I imagine
they have only Mex DL' s, but don't know

weebray - 5-26-2019 at 07:24 AM

Weebray,

That might be how it works where you are, but I did not get any sense at all that such a system existed here in Ensenada.

It was all pretty straight forward as I have written above.

La Paz may well be different.

No gestors in Ensenada?? No manches.

mtgoat666 - 5-26-2019 at 06:22 PM

So, why would someone want to drive a MX plated car? Or buy a MX car?

Perhaps because they live in Mexico, eh?

And do Mexicans have a choice what country they get their license and title their cars?

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by mtgoat666]

AKgringo - 5-27-2019 at 10:00 AM

Lee, the CA test is given in Spanish if requested.

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by AKgringo]

bajatrailrider - 5-27-2019 at 05:05 PM

Dang it Lee are you a Mexican cop or a tourist. Just dumb questions like why would any gringo need a Mexican DL. Lighten up tourest.

bajatrailrider - 5-28-2019 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Dang it Lee are you a Mexican cop or a tourist. Just dumb questions like why would any gringo need a Mexican DL. Lighten up tourest.

MX DL questions dumb? Like your comments?

Ted is too sensitive to be posting scams here. Any scammers wanting to share, buckle up it's going to be a bumpy ride. .. poor Lee clueless tourest calling people scammers. Just think another stupid tourest telling people in Mexico what to do. Then comparing USA to Mexico. Again another Baja nomad blow hard. Give it a rest the more you write the more clueless you are.

JoeJustJoe - 5-30-2019 at 08:01 PM

With so many condoning or ignoring the cheating aspects of getting a Mexican drivers license, for unknown reasons.

I think it's a good time to ask the peanut gallery here on "Baja Nomad" if these so-called "gestors" who hang out at the DMV, also hang out where you go get your Mexican real estate license?

Why bother studying for the test in Spanish, and learning about real estate laws in Mexico, when you could have a "gestor" take the test for you?

I would love to add a Mexican real estate license to my California real estate license, and perhaps sell Ejidos in Rosarito to Americans from the states.

Those who Cheat .....................

MrBillM - 5-30-2019 at 09:20 PM

The Mexican D.L. seems to be one of those (many) situations where it really doesn't matter HOW one accomplishes the task.

After all, there are (at any given time) perhaps thousands of gringos legally driving Mexican roads on their U.S. licenses without proving their knowledge of Mexican regulations OR the Spanish language.

SO .................. What's the BFD ?

IF one decides to game the system with monetary lubricant in one way or another, there is no harm done.

Fan socair !

Lee - 5-30-2019 at 10:58 PM

Lee,

It's really too bad I have to explain this but here we go...

I am not sure I know anyone who enjoys name calling. It can certainly alienate you from making new friends.

I've lived down here for six years (outside the US since 1989 - mostly in Asia) and I was required to have a Mexican ID for something I wanted to do. The exact reason, I prefer to keep confidential - that wasn't the point of the post. A Mexican DL seemed like the best path and it was suggested to me by the Mexican official telling me I needed a Mexican ID.

I had read a lot of garbage about how it works and what is required on a variety of forums so I wrote this post to hopefully ease the path for others, some who told me they needed apostilles and a variety of other documentation they did not really need (or need to spend time or money on).

I might well be wrong, but also, to the best of my understanding, as a permanent resident of Mexico, I cannot take my USA plated car out of the "free zone" and into deep mainland Mexico. Happy to hear otherwise, but that is just one reason for having a Mexican DL and Mexican plated car.

I would be wrong on this also, but I suspect you do not live here - just from your attitude if nothing else. If you did, you would be aware of how difficult it can be to get current and accurate information about even the most simple of things here.

So... really it is up to you, but I suggest you spend less time p*ssing on other people's posts and this childish name-calling and more time trying to understand where they are coming from.

When you get a chance, come on down here and we can sit down, have beer and arm wrestle this to a solution. ;)

Mexico is a wonderful land. Let's keep the sniping and peeing on each other - NOB. Down here, we can all be amigos!

Ted -- I've tried to understand you getting a MX DL and your humorous story in getting one seemed like bragging. I asked for more detail and you said those reasons were secret. Started thinking you were just scamming, too.

I was wrong to jump on your comments with a holier-than-thou attitude and apologize for being over the top. Not sure what set me off but it was childish and judgmental.

Might be wrong but thought I read somewhere that having PR status and driving a US car in mainland MX is not allowed. I've thought of driving to Sayulita sometime but that might be a problem now. I live in BCS Fall through Spring.

In life, and Baja, I keep personal opinions to myself and my pi$$ing here is not who I am. Really, I like live and let live. So, I'm happy to take you up on drinks sometime and thanks for the offer. Suerte on your journey.

Slightly off topic, but....

AKgringo - 5-31-2019 at 10:10 AM

Can one legally have both a Mexican, and US driver's license at the same time?

I had to surrender my CA license when I got one in AK, and I believe the reverse will be true if I take up legal permanent residence in CA again.

TedZark - 5-31-2019 at 10:45 AM

AKgringo wrote: Can one legally have both a Mexican, and US driver's license at the same time?

------------------------------

My experience says yes. I have had licenses in numerous countries across the years and never an issue across countries. Across states inside the USA - quite possibly a different issue.

[Edited on 5-31-2019 by TedZark]

TedZark - 5-31-2019 at 10:48 AM

JJJ - did you intend a link here?
BCN permanent resident taking USA plated car to BCS

Or to offer some assistance or advice? Happy to hear it.

Happy to know the full legal requirements on the issue.

TedZark - 5-31-2019 at 11:41 AM

JJJ wrote:

have been asking a lot of questions...

----------------------

I am not sure if a post on the issue in 2014 is "a lot of questions"?
But... happy to hear real answers from real experts!

chippy - 5-31-2019 at 11:49 AM

Lee wrote:
Might be wrong but thought I read somewhere that having PR status and driving a US car in mainland MX is not allowed.

That is my understanding as well. Not mainland, but mainland below the "free zone" or whatever it is called these days. For example, I believe I can take my US-plated car/motorbike to visit friends in the Guaymas/San Carlos area (free zone), but I can't take it further down to Mazatlan. I am not sure exactly where that line is.

This came up, for me, when I wanted to drive to La Paz and take the ferry over to Mazatlan.

Happy to hear any clarification on that.

I live down here on the mainland and yes you are correct that PRs can´t go past the free zone with gringo plates much to the chagrin of the snowbirds around here, same with the ferry.

chippy - 5-31-2019 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Can one legally have both a Mexican, and US driver's license at the same time?

I had to surrender my CA license when I got one in AK, and I believe the reverse will be true if I take up legal permanent residence in CA again.

I had both for years (ca. and jal.) no problem. My wife still does.

chippy - 5-31-2019 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Is a MX DL good NOB?

Good ?, here in So. Orange Co., I often see Baja
plated trucks, high sided with metal gates, who scour
garage sales taking various washing machines, beds,
I assume they go SOB to segunda tiendas, I imagine
they have only Mex DL' s, but don't know

I drive up a couple times a year (az,ca) in my Mexican plated truck with my Jal. license with no problems. I have also rented cars nob without a problem.

Lee - 5-31-2019 at 12:55 PM

Since I'm PR and my wife isn't, guess I can always get TIP in her name, since we'd be driving into a non-free zone together.

So, it looks like for those wanting to go beyond the free zone, give up PR status, or get a MX DL and MX plated vehicle?

SFandH - 5-31-2019 at 02:07 PM

It may be worth getting a Mex car and license if you're a resident. I have a friend who claims he paid close to one half as compared to San Diego prices for a 2016 Honda. He lives 1/2 time in GDL. He keeps the car there and flies back and forth.

TedZark - 5-31-2019 at 06:05 PM

JJJ wrote:

Two, it appears, you want to game the system, and looking for the cheapest way to get past some legal barriers in Mexico regarding traveling, and your new Mexican drivers license was part of your objective.
---------------------

You are very wrong. Because I don't wish to share all the details of my life and why I do things I do, doesn't mean I am "gaming" any system. If I don't want to share it, then it's just none of your business.

Not fully spilling my guts over every little thing, particularly on a public forum, means nothing. But... if you wish it to be so, you can make up all sorts of stories and ideas about it. Go ahead.

--------------------

JJJ also wrote: ...looking for the cheapest way...

---------------------

I don't think hiring an excellent local attorney is the "cheapest way" to do anything. It is though, probably the best way to be sure you do something correctly.

JoeJustJoe - 5-31-2019 at 07:23 PM

The answer to the question below is to game the system, and look for loop holes so you don't have to follow Mexican, US laws.

Why Are There So Many South Dakota License Plates in Mexico? The Answer Might Surprise You

http://qroo.us/2018/04/17/why-are-there-so-many-south-dakota...

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2019 at 07:29 PM

JoeJoe,
Do you really care where and how the elderly gringo retirees in Mexico get their drivers licenses?
I just hope they take give up the oversized trucks and take uber, as their reflexes and eyesight ain’t so good anymore, and they endanger us spring chickens 🐓

🐐

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by mtgoat666]

SFandH - 6-1-2019 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I just hope they take give up the oversized trucks and take uber, as their reflexes and eyesight ain’t so good anymore, and they endanger us spring chickens 🐓

🐐

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by mtgoat666]

I'll be the first geezer to agree with you on that. I'm 70 and I am no longer relaxed behind the wheel. I much prefer a limo with a chauffeur on a perfectly smooth road while sipping an ice-cold c-cktail. I'll have to find a young guy (gal) next year in Mulege to drive me around, fetch the purified water and prepare my c-cktails. I'll supply the limo, or as close to one I can find.

Respect your elders and pay your social security taxes goat.

Driving in Mexico

MrBillM - 6-1-2019 at 09:32 AM

For a Mexican driving test to be truly reflective of one's ability to fit in to the traffic scheme, one should be tested on the road and scored on (among other things) their ability to safely run stop signs/red lights, pass in dangerous situations and daringly exceed speed limits. Additionally, they might score on disposing of trash (especially beer containers) while underway.

At the end of the test, they could award an "achievement" sticker for the vehicle such as I created years back for my vehicles:

Aprendi Manejar en Mexico