BajaNomad

Mexican wines make history

Paco Facullo - 5-15-2019 at 05:22 PM

Mexican wines make history, join top-10 winners at Concours Mondial
Two grand golds among Mexico's 39 medals at the international wine competition
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
SHARES
For the first time ever Mexico was one of the top 10 medal-winning nations at the Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, an international wine contest also known as the United Nations of Fine Wines.

Mexican wines won a total of 39 medals, including 12 golds and two grand golds, at the 2019 edition of the event, held in Aigle, Switzerland, earlier this month.

The medal tally made Mexico the 10th most successful country at the competition behind Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland, Chile, China, Bulgaria and South Africa.

“For the third consecutive year, Mexico set a new record in terms of participation and the number of medals won, and consolidated itself, like never before in the 26 years’ existence of the competition, among the top 10 countries on the medal table,” said contest president Baudouin Havaux.

“Mexican wine is an international reality. The results of the 2019 Concours Mondial de Bruxelles will without a doubt provide greater visibility for Mexico, its producers and its exceptional wines,” he added.

A judging panel made up of more than 340 international wine experts awarded medals to Mexican still and sparkling white, rosé and red wines.

The two grand gold winners were the 2016 vintage of Caipirinha, a blend of Cabernet-Sauvignon, Syrah, Nebbiolo and Malbec made by the El Cielo winery in the Valle de Guadalupe region of Baja California, and a 2014 Malbec made by the Roganto winery in the same region.

Caipirinha, which is aged in French oak barrels for 24 months, was also awarded the prestigious International Revelation Red Wine prize, beating out 5,393 other contenders.

El Cielo, which grows grapes on 95 hectares in Mexico’s premier wine region, won nine other medals for its wines.

“Something exceptional occurred this year, not just because 39 Mexican wines received medals but also because the Baja California winery El Cielo, in addition to claiming a total of 10 prizes, won a grand gold medal and one of the greatest recognitions of the contest: the title of one of the seven revelation wines of 2019,” Havaux said.

Gustavo Ortega Joaquín, CEO of El Cielo, said that being the most successful Mexican winemaker at the event for a third year running generated “enormous happiness and satisfaction” for the company.

“It confirms the consistency of our wines but it’s especially a wonderful surprise to receive the special trophy for the International Revelation Red Wine 2019; it’s the highest ambition to which any wine producer can aspire,” he said.

Here is the full list of Mexican wines that won medals.

Grand Gold:

El Cielo Caipirinha 2016
Roganto Malbec 2014.
Gold:

Vino de la Reina Nebbiolo 2015
L by Baumgartner 2015
Viñedos SMA Malbec Reserva 2017
El Cielo Perseus 2015
El Cielo Sirius 2012
El Cielo The Capital Grille Reserva 2016
Hilo Negro Escala 2015
Monte Xanic Calixa Cabernet Sauvignon Syrah 2017
G&G Reserva Especial 2016
Roganto Syrah 2015
Vinícola Regional de Ensenada Inspiración Coco Nebbiolo 2015
De Cote Atempo Rosé 2018
Silver:

Emevé Shiraz 2015
Emevé Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
Vino de la Reina Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Vino de la Reina Syrah 2017
Casa Pedro Domecq XA Blanco
Finca Sala Vivé Brut Rosé
Casa Madero Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Casa Madero Malbec 2017
Casa Madero Merlot 2017
El Cielo Orión 2015
El Cielo Eclipse 2017
El Cielo Mi Viejo Molino 2016
El Cielo Rosas & Xocolate 2015
Encinillas La Casona 2016
Puerta del Lobo Syrah 2017
Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Monte Xanic Calixa Syrah 2017
Guanamé Malbec 2016
Don Leo Linde Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2014
Viñedos Palomino Marroc 2017
Casta de Vinos Casta Negra 2015
Cordus Nebbiolo 2015
De Cote Atempo Sauvignon Blanc 2018
De Cote Inédito Blanco 2018
L.A. Cetto Nebbiolo 2015

4x4abc - 5-15-2019 at 06:24 PM

advice worth copying:
Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better

elgatoloco - 5-15-2019 at 07:42 PM

Good for Mexican wines. :coolup: We have fun every time we go to the Valle and always try to hit something new. El Cielo has been on the list of places to try but now we probably won't be able to get in. ;)

So much wine so little time.

Santiago - 5-16-2019 at 07:55 AM

Ooh, very timely as we are going to Lechuza's annual Spring Party next weekend. Have not been back to El Cielo in 2 or 3 years. Glad to see Emevé there, always liked that spot.

BajaTed - 5-16-2019 at 10:52 AM

A bottle of Malbec with a grass fed Rib Eye Steak is my drug of choice.:)

I had to join the group because..... ;)

Paco Facullo - 5-16-2019 at 11:41 AM

BajaTed, I has to totally agree !

Yes, Malbec has been my favorite for a long time now.
It's what made me journey to Mendoza last Sept. ( also the fact that the Argentine Peso fell like a rock )

I was eating at top steak restaurants w/wine for like $20
Can't wait to go back..

DanO - 5-16-2019 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
A bottle of Malbec with a grass fed Rib Eye Steak is my drug of choice.:)

Mine's a bottle of Shiraz and a Porterhouse. Same neighborhood.

Marc - 5-18-2019 at 01:56 PM

Not a Mexican wine, but I think I'll take a couple of bottles with me next time.

AKgringo - 5-18-2019 at 03:26 PM

Thanks Marc for introducing that wine (and label). Do you think this would be the right compliment to a baloney sandwich on Bimbo white bread?

Udo - 5-18-2019 at 03:34 PM

I am sure that some of you are wine followers and their point rating and medal winning.

If you are such a person, you know that a huge majority (about 85% of all wines entered in such competitions earn either a gold or silver medal. So winning a medal in a competition, (although it sounds admirable), is no great feat.

Yes, living in the Ensenada area is within it's wine rewards, we do have our personal favorites.

Marc - 5-18-2019 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks Marc for introducing that wine (and label). Do you think this would be the right compliment to a baloney sandwich on Bimbo white bread?

Absolutely.... and don't forget the mayo.

Udo - 5-18-2019 at 04:33 PM

I am sure that some of you are wine followers and their point rating and medal winning.

If you are such a person, you know that a huge majority (about 85% of all wines entered in such competitions earn either a gold or silver medal. So winning a medal in a competition, (although it sounds admirable), is no great feat.

Yes, living in the Ensenada area is within it's wine rewards, we do have our personal favorites. Plus we now have built a wine cave under our house.
We love living near the wine country!