BajaNomad

San Ignacio Chronology Book by Nomad 'Juanita'

David K - 5-22-2019 at 11:06 AM

While at San Ignacio last week, I bought a copy of Juanita's book at the La Huerta Hotel front desk.

It has a beautiful cover! Published in 2017

The book gives historical data of events in San Ignacio by the year of the event. It begins in 8000 BC with the story of how people arrived and then on to 1535 with the Spanish coming to California and the years' events to 2014. It has a couple of historical sketches of the mission but no other photos or maps. 160 pages with a place-saver flap, very nice! It is in Spanish, but with an English translation below each paragraph inside the book.

Paco Facullo - 5-22-2019 at 11:13 AM

That's right up your proverbial "camino de tierra"

fishbuck - 5-22-2019 at 12:49 PM

Very cool. I've been told I should read more books...;)

BajaBlanca - 5-23-2019 at 03:55 AM

Juanita has done a great job of documenting events in San Ignacio.

Fernweh - 5-23-2019 at 06:17 AM

Juanita is still around, and her small museum is still open for the public, but she is no longer renting out rooms.
I did stop in and saw her a few weeks ago, you can purchase her and other books there.
Very pleasant to chat with her, while enjoying her garden.

Udo - 5-23-2019 at 08:22 AM

I have seen Juanita Juanita every time we go to San Ignacio. She is always a wealth of information, and I have sent countless people to visit her also.
Magnificent lady!

Don Jorge - 5-23-2019 at 09:50 AM

Thanks for the update on Juanita. She is a wonderful woman.

Great to hear she has published her book. When we had our place in Loreto we used to make it a point to stay with her on our many trips back and forth. It felt like a home.

Occasionally we were asked to bring things south for her on our next drive by. Predictably it was always boxes and boxes of books and books. She does love ther books.

We have met some wonderful people in Baja and she is indeed one of the best!