BajaNomad

Volvo XC-70 ok for Baja?

fishbuck - 5-22-2019 at 04:24 PM

In my continuing evolution to pick a decent "grocery getter" and "border run" machine, I stumbled on this car.
My goal was enough toughness for Baja highway and dirt roading, yet with the highest mpg.
I started with a Prius...
But then evolved to a VW Passat Wagon AWD. Very cool but I couldn't find the right kind nearby.
So then remembered the Volvo.
Anybody ever own one?
Everybody says they are ultra safe too.
I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them.
I found a nice one with about 60,000 on it.
They look cool and have excellent cargo capacity.
And plenty of room to sleep in the back occasionally.

[Edited on 5-22-2019 by fishbuck]

willardguy - 5-22-2019 at 04:46 PM

did you catch this earlier?

the Swede's call it "close to danger" in a Volvo I would agree!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10474/el-malarrimo...

I think its an awful idea......jmo of course;)

SFandH - 5-22-2019 at 04:46 PM

Hayzues Creesto, just buy a 3 or 4-year-old small Japanese pickup. Buy it new if you have the bucks.

Good luck taking your Volvo that needs some parts to a Mex mechanic.

Don't buy anything that's not sold in Mexico. No parts. Get in a small accident and you're phuked.

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by SFandH]

chuckie - 5-22-2019 at 05:09 PM

There are no Mechanics in Baja that speak SVedish......

JZ - 5-22-2019 at 05:13 PM

That is a dorky looking car.

fishbuck - 5-22-2019 at 05:25 PM

Ok.
I am beginning to give up.
I should probably just renew my Washington tag. If I can do it from out of state.
Considering my F-350 is showing 9.1 mpg right now, the Volvo was half that or better.
So I went from Prius, to little ford wagon, then AWD VW and Volvo.
I don't need another pick-up. Even a small one. I've had 2 Rangers and would get that.
But I was looking for a little econo wagon. Something I could haul enclosed loads cheaply.
But tomorrow I will try Washington again...

John Harper - 5-22-2019 at 05:36 PM

Why not get a nice used Toyota 4Runner? They are small, fully enclosed, 4 wheel drive, and all over Baja. Sell your gas hog. Use the money to get a nice little boat, and tow it with the 4Runner. Simple.

John

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by John Harper]

SFandH - 5-22-2019 at 05:41 PM

4Runners come in 2 wheel drive also. One of the last body on frame mid-sized SUVs. Most are unibody.

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by SFandH]

JZ - 5-22-2019 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok.
I should probably just renew my Washington tag. If I can do it from out of state.
Considering my F-350 is showing 9.1 mpg right now, the Volvo was half that or better.
I don't need another pick-up. Even a small one. I've had 2 Rangers and would get that.
But I was looking for a little econo wagon. Something I could haul enclosed loads cheaply.

My 3/4 ton Chevy gets 17 mpg on the highway. Trade that old rig in.

chippy - 5-22-2019 at 06:18 PM

Volvo = chinese crap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars

gnukid - 5-22-2019 at 08:28 PM

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, GMC c'mon dude get inline with the program

fishbuck - 5-22-2019 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Very clean Toyota Hilux (1979) for $4900 near LAX. Motor has 135k but probably good for 250-300k before a rebuild. Tint the camper windows darker and you have a relatively safe stash area for your stuff.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/hermosa-beach-19...

[Edited on 5-23-2019 by TedZark]

Hilux... I will need to look that up.

David K - 5-22-2019 at 11:25 PM

Hilux is what Toyota trucks the size of Tacomas are called, that are sold outside the U.S. and Canada. You see them in Mexico and south. They are considered tougher than Tacomas and the 4x4 model has a solid front axle instead of I F S.

caj13 - 5-23-2019 at 08:14 AM

I told you before - look at the suzuki grand vitara sidekick geo tracker linage, get one with a manual trans. they have 4 wd with a locking diff, cheap run forever, mexican mechanics are familiar with em, easy to get parts, get the 4 door version, plenty of room. you can pick up a good one for 5-6k. or you can't go wrong with the 4 runner, hilux lineage either

Not sure why you keep veering off into the "exotics"?

daveB - 5-23-2019 at 08:35 AM

For an automaker that runs it's company on the boottails of
Sweden's historically magestic Volvo, modern day Volvo may look good, have the same price points as the older, rather expensive Volvo used to have, the company has been owned by Chinese for the past seven years and will not admit it. Why would you need one.

Udo - 5-23-2019 at 08:58 AM

Hey, Buck...get yourself a mail box in South Dakota. Over 3/4 of all US vehicles living in Baja are registered in SD. The small hassle-free fees for registering in a great reason. Also, no smogs.

You can get the best information @ www.americas-mailbox.com
They will even help with the registrations and getting a SD driver's lic.

If it is any indication to you, regarding vehicles here in Baja, we have a 2018 TESLA model X, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a 2018 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo which we use for heavy duty off-road trips.

Ok.

Lee - 5-23-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
For an automaker that runs it's company on the boottails of
Sweden's historically magestic Volvo, modern day Volvo may look good, have the same price points as the older, rather expensive Volvo used to have, the company has been owned by Chinese for the past seven years and will not admit it. Why would you need one.

V40, S60 and the new XC60 made in Sweden. Models/parts also made in China and SC.

First car was a '66 Volvo PV544. Currently looking at the XC40.

Chinese ownership has been public for 9 years. Not a problem.

For Baja, I'm amazed at the number of Mercedes-Benz I see on the autobahn between La Paz and Cabo. (M-B has plants in 22 countries including Mexico. Hecho en Mexico no problemo.)

For long term usage down South, a vehicle that can be easily repaired in Baja makes sense. For a vehicle used for vacation in Baja, but maintained NOB, almost doesn't matter.

fishbuck - 5-23-2019 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Hey, Buck...get yourself a mail box in South Dakota. Over 3/4 of all US vehicles living in Baja are registered in SD. The small hassle-free fees for registering in a great reason. Also, no smogs.

You can get the best information @ www.americas-mailbox.com
They will even help with the registrations and getting a SD driver's lic.

If it is any indication to you, regarding vehicles here in Baja, we have a 2018 TESLA model X, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a 2018 RZR XP4 1000 Turbo which we use for heavy duty off-road trips.

Ok.

I called them. I will need to travel to South Dakota to get a Driver's license before I can register a vehicle.
It's not cheap and you have to fly into like Chicago or Minneapolis and drive there.
Maybe later.

Lee - 5-23-2019 at 10:38 AM

I called them. I will need to travel to South Dakota to get a Driver's license before I can register a vehicle.

Almost correct. You don't need a DL to register a vehicle in SD. Registration can be done by phone and mail.

You do have to show up to get a DL, though.

Clay County Courthouse, Vermillion, SD (605) 677-6485. Call this number (to register) for help/info.

vacaenbaja - 5-23-2019 at 11:25 AM

I bought a 2013 Jetta sportwagen TDI with the six speed regular standard transmission not the paddle shifter. Being a diesel it get great MPGS close to 40 on the fwy and mid to high 30's in mixed driving. The fuel has to be ultra lo sulfur and free of ANY water. It is just regular FWD and will do if you are not driving in areas where 4wd is needed. Most parts are easy to find but I should imagine the engine parts may have to be ordered. The VW jetta while small , can handle the baja roads. I drove a 2000 and 2003 4 dr sedan several times to cabo and BOLA once going off an unexpected 4 inch total pavement drop offs with no damage to the front end. Have also been on dirt roads. I would recommend the installation of a aluminum belly pan to protect the cast aluminum oil pan which if cracked is a total show stopper. the stock belly pan is plastic.

fishbuck - 5-23-2019 at 11:32 AM

Maybe not. From www.americas-mailbox.com

You do NOT have to have a South Dakota driver's license to register your vehicles in Pennington County

fishbuck - 5-23-2019 at 11:35 AM

I am staying away from desel. But that is a cool little engine in the Jetta.

Hook - 5-23-2019 at 04:37 PM

I have driven a couple Grand Vitaras from the mid 2000s for extended periods of time. They were the six cylinder models. They really dont get very good gas mileage (though they are better than 9.1). But they are reliable and capable.

WhoTF buys an F350 that isnt diesel??? :?:

F350 = heavy loads/towing = diesel mandatory.

Find a used RAV 4, or Highlander or Honda CRV with AWD. The Honda Pilot is a decent vehicle, too, but it's big and boxy and doesnt get that great of mileage.

Stay away from FWD only. Since the mid/late 2000s or so, many of these very capable/fuel efficient SUVs have AWD, electronic traction control (sometimes referred to as the "snow" setting). Slap a set of all terrain tires on them, carry a set of tire deflators and a decent 12v pump and you'd be surprised at the places you can go when you air down. No, you wont be doing the Pole Line Road........

I could take tire track photos in the sand at Shell Island (just like David K !!) with my Highlander. What more proof does a Nomad need??? :bounce: Just a simple AWD with traction control. Clearance is decent in a Highlander. Not as good as a 4Runner, though.

25-30 mpg @ 65-70 mph with a six cylinder engine. Seats seven in a pinch or lay all the back seats "flat" (well, sorta) and you can sleep back there, in a pinch.

4Runners are VERY capable but dont get great mileage and the on-road ride is stiff and with a bit of sway. Highlanders ride like butter on pavement or dirt. There is a reason why used Highlanders hold their value so well.

Xterras aint a bad choice, either. Like a 4Runner, only less reliable.

fishbuck - 5-23-2019 at 07:32 PM

I went back to the drawing board.
So it turns out that Washington makes it super easy to renew your registration online.
So I decided I would give WA anothet shot and renewed thr gas guzzler online.
Tags in the mail and and email confimation until they arrive.

I bought this truck used from Enterprise. I can only imagine what people did with it.
There are holes where someone bolted a 5th wheel reciever in the bed. Horses I'm guessing.
Why gas? Ask Enterprise.
All I know is it drives like a really big Mustang. The stiff suspension makes it turn very well. No roll at all.
Freeway chop is an absolute killer in this thing. Brutal.
It doesn't even feel a motocross bike and gear.
I had a pallet of pavers at 3200lbs in the bed and another on a trailer. It was in it's element and rode like a Caddy.
I think it could have carried 1 more pallet in the bed.
The only limit is trying to stop it.
Even empty that must be managed at all times.
It's heavy.
So as soon as I get some Baja insurance he will make a victorious return to his fishcamp... where he belongs:cool:

Let the gas guzzling begin...;)

[Edited on 5-24-2019 by fishbuck]

Hook - 5-23-2019 at 07:59 PM

Dont assume you have to drive that F350 around with anything close to 80 psi, if you have load range E tires on it. The ride will be much improved if you drive around with them at 40 psi. Yeah, they wont last as long. But your kidneys will last longer.

In fact, DONT BUY LR-E tires for it unless you are going to put some serious laden weight in the back. Like a truck camper or a 5th wheel or you are going to be hauling lots of heavy metal or cement. A C or D rated tire will be just fine. That will improve your ride, too. A motocross bike and asstd gear is not serious weight to a one ton truck.

What year is it? Do you have leaf springs on the front or coil springs?

Oh, and get a serious theft deterrent on that truck. They are easy to steal. Vehicle theft employs a lot of tweakers in Mexico. SQ has its share, I have heard. Learn how to pull your PCM fuse (or equivalent for a gas engine) or install a hidden kill switch and consider getting a locking brake restraint. Steering wheel restraints are too easy to get around.

This ain't Newport Beach, boopsie..........

Ideally, you should still get some kind of vehicle that gets decent MPGs. Some kind of beater, I guess. I still like the versatility of an SUV.

But its never a bad idea to have a truck in the "fleet". They are just so useful. There was one 18 month period in my life since 1980 where I didn't own a truck in the family. I hated it; borrowing trucks from friends. What kind of person lives a life like that, for an extended period? I threw in the towel.

[Edited on 5-24-2019 by Hook]

Lee - 5-23-2019 at 08:04 PM

On the upside, WA state will be eliminating vehicle emissions testing 1/2020. Great state.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/new...

AKgringo - 5-23-2019 at 08:09 PM

Fishbuck, nothing wrong with having a beater truck around for the times when you need one, or just have a fun place to take it. Go ahead and find another smaller beater for a daily driver (I also like the Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Vitara).

Forget insuring the vehicles individually, and get an annual drivers license policy that will cover you whether you are driving either of them, or whatever else strikes your fancy!

My idea of a good Baja rig is something I can afford to walk away from!

AKgringo - 5-23-2019 at 08:23 PM

Hook got it right, and got posted while I was still composing my reply. For a while, my work/camping truck was a heavy duty Chevy, diesel crew cab. I swapped the stock wheels and tires for 12,5x35 inch mud terrains and it was a much better ride!

fishbuck - 5-24-2019 at 12:18 PM

I had Pirrelli Scorpions 1st.
Excellent on my F-150.
Brutally hard for the F-350.
I hated them. I couldn't what for them to get 40,000.
I bought Michellen Defenders this time.
Night and day. Excellent tires. Very expensive.

I tried running the Pirellis at 40, 30, even 20.
It helps but puts an almost never ending bounce in the truck that makes it harder to drive.
And also can induce speed wobble.
If you ever have that happen to you in an F-350... you will be teriffied...

I run the Michelins at the full 80psi.
Only the freeway chop is unbareable.
I have a neck pillow an smush my spine back into my seat as hard as I can to save my vertebrae...
There are a few tricks to soften the ride while keeping it's full capacity.
A little expensive...
But I think I will start with the truck now...
It's like $1000 for a tune-up on it.
I think the best mpg I've ever gotton was 12. 11 not hard with mostly easy freeway. 65mph... maybe 70. Rides better faster but gets real thirsty... cruises 80 no problem if you wanna pay...

fishbuck - 5-24-2019 at 12:27 PM

I saw a Volvo VC70 yesterday and it was cool.

You guys will hate my next car idea

Dodge Magnum wagon AWD. 6.5 inches ground clearance stock.
I have rented them before and the are cool.
And cheap.
And there is a V8 hemi version... like 18mpg
But I'm liking the V6 version for a tiny milage improvment... like about 20mpg
But a V8 hemi... what Red Blooded American male can resist that?

KurtG - 5-24-2019 at 02:36 PM

I saw a Volvo VC70 yesterday and it was cool.

You guys will hate my next car idea

Dodge Magnum wagon AWD. 6.5 inches ground clearance stock.
I have rented them before and the are cool.
And cheap.
And there is a V8 hemi version... like 18mpg
But I'm liking the V6 version for a tiny milage improvment... like about 20mpg
But a V8 hemi... what Red Blooded American male can resist that?

A guy I know bought a Hemi Magnum new. It spent more time at the dealer for various recalls and random breakdowns than on the road. He really took a bath on it when he traded but the vehicle could never be depended on.

fishbuck - 5-24-2019 at 02:39 PM

Maybe why their cheap used...

JZ - 5-24-2019 at 02:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Dont assume you have to drive that F350 around with anything close to 80 psi, if you have load range E tires on it. The ride will be much improved if you drive around with them at 40 psi. Yeah, they wont last as long. But your kidneys will last longer.

I have my at 60-65, even when the bed is full with our gear and two bikes on the back. Extremely smooth on pavement.

Run them at 35 in the dirt.

mtgoat666 - 5-24-2019 at 02:58 PM

Its just a car. Just buy one. Stop over-thinking it. Its just going to slowly decay, get wrecked or get stolen.

Buy a bicycle for going to grocery store.

Save your money and you might someday afford 4 that plane you talk about!

Their Cheap ?

MrBillM - 5-24-2019 at 07:28 PM

There there.

Try "they're........."

Doug/Vamonos - 5-26-2019 at 07:52 AM

My 2000 Grand Vitara 4x4 fits perfectly in my Baja garage while I'm gone. Bought it for $2,000 from old folks who towed it behind their rv. Included the tow rig. I did a lift to the suspension, some oversized tires, and that little bugger scoots up and over anything I've tried yet. Even towed my 26' Striper around camp a couple times. I'm 6'5" and it has plenty of leg room and head room for me. Cheap and reliable and still looks modern. With 15 psi in the tires it rips on the rutty dirt road between Rincon and town at LA Bay. And it has a/c!

Vitara.jpg - 124kB

[Edited on 5-26-2019 by Doug/Vamonos]

fishbuck - 5-26-2019 at 09:03 AM

Hard to find but very cool.

caj13 - 5-26-2019 at 08:34 PM

Not really, they are around, always several listed on craigslist. you just have to be dilligent in looking.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/alameda-2003-suzuki-x...

in the meantime, hers another option, carbeurated bulletproof engine, manual trans, cheap very dependable, mechanics know it, couldn't go wrong

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/richmond-1989-toyota-...

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by caj13]

Hook - 5-27-2019 at 08:57 AM

That 89 Toyota would be a good beater, but I will never buy another truck that doesnt have at least the extra cab behind the seats. Too nice being able to store stuff inside AND it allows you much more flexibility in adjusting the backrest of the seat.

fishbuck - 5-27-2019 at 09:08 AM

I used to want one of there so much.
That and a Datsun Kingcab.
I think the 1st "extracab" truck.
All I could afford was a Pinto station wagon that I fixed up at the Air Force base hobby shop.
I used it like a pick up.
Beach cruiser and beach chair lived in the back so I could escape to Newport at a moments notice.
And then race home in time to throw my uniform on and make "rollcall" and back onto the flightline and make planes fly. That was my life for 4 years.
The glow of a Newport weekend fresh on my face.
That is kind of where my AWD station wagon idea is coming from.

AKgringo - 5-27-2019 at 09:39 AM

A Chevy Tracker is made by Suzuki....kind of a Vitara with a bowtie! In the US, they came with either a 2.0 liter 4 cyl, or a 2.5 liter V-6. Everything is a trade off, the four banger is slightly under powered, but my neighbor has 240 thousand miles on hers, with all original parts! I don't think the V-6 is quite as trouble free, but I have never owned one.

My Kia's (older model Sportage) are a very similar vehicle, except they run Mazda running gear instead of Suzuki, and would be tough to find parts or trained service in Baja!

All three vehicles I mentioned are based on light truck components, which are not as efficient as the cross-overs that are currently being marketed, but will handle abuse better!

[Edited on 5-27-2019 by AKgringo]

fishbuck - 5-27-2019 at 10:09 AM

I have convinced myself I need that Dodge Magnum AWD with a V8 Hemi.
It has good towing capacity. Boat towing.
If I don't need full F-350 capability it would be better for towing.
For example. For San Quintin to Bola.
Mostly paved and cement boatramps.
I can use my truck for a big camping trailer and set up my fishcamp for a few weeks.
And then service that with my plane.
Problem so far is that there is only one of me to do all the flying and driving.
But these little Suzukis do seem like the ultamate Baja gorcery store machine.
Small enough and easy to drive. Picknic on the beach machine.

But that Dodge will eat the highway at 100 and I can still chase DaveK and Curt at 100 on the gravel.
(Disclaimer: I do not drive 100mph anywhere except a private racetracks.) I am not a pro.
A V8 hemi and all.
And gets a theoretical 24mpg on the highway.
But 14mpg when you need the power.
I used to fly into Sacramento and rent a 2wd Magnum and go to Tahoe for snowboarding.
It was a cool car.

Hook - 5-27-2019 at 12:08 PM

ANY Chrysler product (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth) from the last 20 years is very LOW on the reliability scale. Not so much the engines as other stuff; trannies, A/C, PS pumps, interior electrical stuff. Seats are often chit.

You HAVE a truck. It's paid for. Yeah, it doesnt get great mileage. Learn to SLOOOOOOW DOWN in retirement. Cruise at 60. Way better mileage. You dont want to be towing at 70 anyway. So what if it takes a half hour to an hour longer to get to BOLA? You dont have to cram your life into a weekend anymore. You come and go when you want.

Just get something that gets good mileage and is reliable for the inevitable trips back and forth to the US from San Quintin. Something easier to park. A beater; something that doesnt scream "steal me" like a late model Dodge truck will. Mexicans love those trucks because they are made down here and are reasonably priced.

Has anyone told him about the concept of "pizza insurance" yet? Now's the time!!

fishbuck - 5-27-2019 at 12:42 PM

Excellent advice.
Will get with Baja Bound insurance today or tommorrow for truck.
About $500 for an annual.
But "Pizza insurance" works good too.:D

On my last ride down I drove so slow...
It was fantastic.
Even on the way back I was mellow.
I don't think I passed one car the whole trip.
And made it easy for the "highballers" to blow past me...

I plan on practicing more of that... slow down and smell the grape vineyards...and strawberry farms... and Taco stands;)
But it is hard to make an F-350 easy to pass like the little white car was.
He was tiny.

fishbuck - 5-28-2019 at 02:36 PM

Got my Washington tags in the mail already!
I'm starting to like Washington again...

So shooting for a Thursday departure for a 4-5 dayer.
In my own truck.
I will get through the border safer...

I think I got the "Guatemalan Goat Flu" last time walking thru with "my people";)
But I'm ok now... almost...