BajaNomad

Cute Bird Photos

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:31 PM

Fishbuck had a nice idea, but then it got weird with talk about birds being dirty and shooting them... seriously?!

So, Here are the photos all taken on Shell Island (near Percebu, south of San Felipe).

... Please feel welcome to add your own "cute bird photos"!

About the size of a silver dollar, these tern chicks are hatched and raised on the beach with no nest...

See it near the bottom of this picture? The parents are out fishing. We watched them after the photo was taken. I walked over there from our camp to investigate where the adult terns landing and taking off. This was Memorial Day, 2008.

In July 2015, we discovered these eggs near our camp... a better spot than the 2008 location for the eggs!

The parent.

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by David K]

July 2009

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:37 PM

October 2009

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:40 PM

July 2010

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:43 PM

May 2011

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:51 PM

May 2013

David K - 6-5-2019 at 05:54 PM

Sept. 2014

David K - 6-6-2019 at 06:04 AM

July 2015

David K - 6-6-2019 at 06:12 AM

Below, Bahía Concepción:

Baby Killdeer in Buenos Aires Arroyo, L.B.

BigOly - 6-6-2019 at 08:18 AM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145463352@N02/48013652566/in/d...

Birds in Baja pics

tehag - 6-6-2019 at 04:47 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/217332112296681/?ref=bookmar...

David K - 6-6-2019 at 11:45 PM

Thanks, Tehag, I joined and put a couple of photos up.

bajadogs - 6-6-2019 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Fishbuck had a nice idea, but then it got weird with talk about birds being dirty and shooting them... seriously?!

So, Here are the photos all taken on Shell Island (near Percebu, south of San Felipe).

... Please feel welcome to add your own "cute bird photos"!

About the size of a silver dollar, these tern chicks are hatched and raised on the beach with no nest...

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by David K]

I cannot think of a more perfect reason to NOT drive on the beach. It is illegal for a reason. Have a nice day and thank you Sea Shepherd and watch your step DK!

David K - 6-7-2019 at 12:25 AM

If I hadn't driven on the beach then you would have never seen these photos... you would never know cute little birds had eggs there. The Plover (if that is the correct species) eggs were in the dunes, not in harm's way. The tern was not in a protected spot. No doubt when the coyotes come onto the island at night (and they do) they sniff these little guys out and make them a meal. There are plenty of tire tracks on the beaches south of San Felipe. Why don't you go there and see if you can stop it? Many of the tracks are from recreational running up and down the coast.

bajapedro - 6-8-2019 at 08:27 AM

Shell Island osprey.

IMG_2293.jpg - 51kB

David K - 6-8-2019 at 09:17 AM

That was a cool photo of an osprey with his dinner. I have one somewhere and will post if I find it... Baja Angel took the shot while we were driving so it isn't real sharp.

Here is another Tern egg and the parents from May 2009:

It is about the size of a nickel.

Mother of Dragons - 6-8-2019 at 12:47 PM

Blue footed booby

tehag - 6-8-2019 at 03:57 PM

DK some of what you are calling terns are Plovers.

David K - 6-8-2019 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tehag  
DK some of what you are calling terns are Plovers.

I want to be correct... which ones, the last from this morning?

tehag - 6-8-2019 at 06:02 PM

The last 2 you posted seem to be Wilson's Plovers (Charadrius wilsonia).

bajadogs - 6-8-2019 at 09:21 PM

That was a cool photo of an osprey with his dinner. I have one somewhere and will post if I find it... Baja Angel took the shot while we were driving so it isn't real sharp.

Here is another Tern egg and the parents from May 2009:

It is about the size of a nickel.

These 2 photos define you DavidK. Truck tracks in the sand with "Cute" Tern parents. Where is the egg? Keep your Toy off the beach. Pay attention. Respect Baja please.

Russ - 6-8-2019 at 11:09 PM

[Edited on 6-9-2019 by BajaNomad]

bajapedro - 6-9-2019 at 06:48 AM

[img]img_3177(2).jpg[/img]
Circle of life.

IMG_3177 (2).jpg - 9kB

AKgringo - 6-9-2019 at 08:07 AM

Russ, did you photograph all those birds in Punta Chivato? The black brant is an impressive flyer, they make a non-stop flight from Cold Bay Alaska, to the southern CA, northern Baja area!

I worked out there for a few weeks during the migration period, here is a bit about Izembeck lagoon; https://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147524866

[Edited on 6-9-2019 by AKgringo]

David K - 6-9-2019 at 08:17 AM

Baja Dogs, those tracks are not from my truck.
Why not actually go to Baja instead of following me around on Nomad to enjoy what I contribute here. Go down to the South Campos for the Christmas parade of lights and protest all the cars and buggies driving on the beach then, or come any Mexican holiday like Semana Santa and you tell the Mexicans they cannot drive on their beaches... or all the fishermen who drive by checking their fishing nets or launching their boats on the beach.

Russ - 6-9-2019 at 08:52 AM

AKGringo, Oyster catchers and Black Brant shot at San Marcos Tierra but we do see both here in Chivato. Black Brant I usually see after a major storm and think they get off track. Have friends that hunt the Brant in San Quintin Bay though. Just haven't tried them because they feed on sea grasses and that doesn't sound too appetizing.
More little ones:

norte - 6-9-2019 at 08:56 AM

Baja Dogs, those tracks are not from my truck.
Why not actually go to Baja instead of following me around on Nomad to enjoy what I contribute here. Go down to the South Campos for the Christmas parade of lights and protest all the cars and buggies driving on the beach then, or come any Mexican holiday like Semana Santa and you tell the Mexicans they cannot drive on their beaches... or all the fishermen who drive by checking their fishing nets or launching their boats on the beach.

Don't tell me this justify's your bad behavior.

David K - 6-9-2019 at 09:50 AM

Show us some of your camping photos norte so I can pick at you... no wait, I don't care about anything you do.

norte - 6-9-2019 at 10:00 AM

Show us some of your camping photos norte so I can pick at you... no wait, I don't care about anything you do.
Take it as constructive criticism and not picking....and if you do not care....do not respond.

surfhat - 6-9-2019 at 10:23 AM

Back in the 90's in the springtime when I would return to my palapa on the east cape I remember finding at least 7 or 8 different species of birds who set up their nests in the shade of palm fronds.

It was a great bird show, especially with the new babies being fed constantly by the parents coming and going and reenforcing their nests with gathered material.

I also recall a snake or two trying to crawl up the posts to get at the nests. I would use a stick to dislodge them and send them on their way across the desert sand and bushes.

I believe these were gopher snakes or some other types of nonpoisonous variety. I did occasionally see some rattlers, but they were much less bold in presenting themselves.

With the droppings from the bird nests the snakes easily found where to go for a meal.

I was happy that the palapa offered shelter for all these birds from the weather. Not much help from the snakes when I wasn't there though.

Mother of Dragons - 6-9-2019 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Take it as constructive criticism and not picking....and if you do not care....do not respond.

Are naked camping pics allowed?

vandenberg - 6-9-2019 at 05:28 PM

Like " I show you mine if you show me yours?"

[Edited on 6-10-2019 by vandenberg]

Mother of Dragons - 6-9-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Like " I show you mine if you show me yours?"

[Edited on 6-10-2019 by vandenberg]

Yes! Waiting for a head nod yes by all the powers that be here and then it’s on. Needs to be unanimous ;)

Bajazly - 6-9-2019 at 09:28 PM

Nailed this lunker on a 1/2 oz Mega Bite with just one hook on the rear treble hook so an easy release. Didn't get any good bird kiting until he was on the beach and I needed to grab him, went bat crap crazy then.:cool:

IMG_8834.jpg - 230kB